What's new

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
Re: The old days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973

Let me try for a diplomatic remark concerning scn: California was nice.
If this isn't a gifted sense of humor . . . I don't know what is. Truly!

Most hilarious thing I've heard in a long while.

:hattip:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Thank you. I can't tell you know much your letter warms my heart. I did create the thread but its now a response on the original thread and the new thread. Ok. I'll figure it all out. It's buried but that is ok. I can always add it to my signature to boost it up a bit. :)

After reading about the ship I am probably happy I was not on it. But then I am also glad, after reading something on Rinder's blog, that I was not assigned to scrape grease at flag as it dripped below the kitchen floor. :)

PS I have your thread up and I will subscribe to it. Is it 2000 pages like Lakey's? I am only up to page 20 of Lakey's thread! And now I am ADDING my own extra pages to it. Insane but lovely.

Rinder was one of my Shipmates...I Remember the day he first walked on Board...Knew him pretty darn well and, due to our Posts from time to time, we sometimes interacted regularly. :yes:

The Ship was was like all things El Ron, SO and Scn...NOT what it was represented to be and a first class, frenetic cluster F beyond belief. :hysterical:

Shooting Stars is 100 pages and not an "Active" Thread where Members Post every day. The Apollo Thread is sort of a "sub-board" within a Board that Lakey and another Old Timer, Carmelo Orchards, cultivated or "Hosted" and although somewhat still active a little, was very vibrant with Dialogue from many Old Timers several years ago. :coolwink:

Shooting Stars is my Chronicles, Stories and "Take" re: El Ron, Apollo, Scn, the myriads historical events I witnessed first hand and the myriads of Folks I interacted with as part of SO Senior Management and El Ron's "Inner Circle" from the early '70's to the early '80's and some Dialogue with Members about what I wrote. Read it when you've got some time to burn...My "Installments" and linked-to Posts total around 100,000 words. :melodramatic:

Face :)

Last edited:

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Rinder was one of my Shipmates...I Remember the day he first walked on Board...Knew him pretty darn well and, due to our Posts from time to time, we sometimes interacted regularly. :yes:

The Ship was was like all things El Ron, SO and Scn...NOT what it was represented to be and a first class, frenetic cluster F beyond belief. :hysterical:

Shooting Stars is 100 pages is not an "Active" Thread where Members Post every day. The Apollo Thread is sort of a "sub-board" within a Board that Lakey and another Old Timer, Carmelo Orchards, cultivated or "Hosted" and although somewhat still active a little, was very vibrant with Dialogue from many Old Timers several years ago. :coolwink:

Shooting Stars is my Chronicles, Stories and "Take" re: El Ron, Apollo, Scn, the myriads historical events I witnessed first hand and the myriads of Folks I interacted with as part of SO Senior Management and El Ron's "Inner Circle" from the early '70's to the early '80's and some Dialogue with Members about what I wrote. Read it when you've got some time to burn...My "Installments" total around 100,000 words. :melodramatic:

Thank you for the stories.

I don't know if I qualify as an old timer, but I guess I am on this sub-board. :). It's been 35 years out for me. Does that make me a fogey?? Yeehaw. :omg:

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

If this isn't a gifted sense of humor . . . I don't know what is. Truly!

Most hilarious thing I've heard in a long while.

:hattip:

When I get to the AAC part of the saga I'll have to throw in that Santa Barbara was nicer than California.

:eyeroll:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm a young lass and I don't know what I just said.

forgive me. I was being momentarily senile.

While at AOLA I liked shopping at alpha beta. Does it still exist? That was in 1979 thereabouts. :biggrin:

Well...That may be true:confused2:. However...Scientologically:dizzy:, you're an "Old Timer". :whistling:

purple haze

Patron with Honors

Thank you for the stories.

I don't know if I qualify as an old timer, but I guess I am on this sub-board. :). It's been 35 years out for me. Does that make me a fogey?? Yeehaw. :omg:

It makes you an old timer, that's for sure, mer. :thumbsup:
I've been out for 42 years and counting. :omg:
We need a big celebration!:dancer:
Just being alive is quite the cause for getting together, in person or on line.
By the way, if I seem a bit zany, I just got home yesterday and fly out again in the opposite direction in a few, so have decided to forgo experiencing the jet lag and just chill out.
IN THE TIME WARP AGAIN...
Aloha!
:coolwink:

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

It makes you an old timer, that's for sure, mer. :thumbsup:
I've been out for 42 years and counting. :omg:
We need a big celebration!:dancer:
Just being alive is quite the cause for getting together, in person or on line.
By the way, if I seem a bit zany, I just got home yesterday and fly out again in the opposite direction in a few, so have decided to forgo experiencing the jet lag and just chill out.
IN THE TIME WARP AGAIN...
Aloha!
:coolwink:

Aloha!

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh, by the way Mer...The large majority of the content on the Apollo Thread has nothing to do with the Apollo or Scn. As the Thread went forward it became a "Chat Room" for current world events, media articles, many different topics and cavorting around...Most all interesting and fun stuff but nothing to do with Scn. The Apollo, Scn stuff is sandwiched in here and there sometimes sometimes is sprinkled in heavily from various contributors for 20-30 pages or so and then sparse for 50-60 pages or so. A number of the Old Timer contributors were BC Grads from the '70's and even the '60's at St. Hill, Flag Crew, Class 8's, etc and even a couple of Auditors from the '50's. But, the "wheat" is in a 2,000+ page pile of "chaff"--so to speak.

Face:)

Maria Cuervo

Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh, by the way Mer...The large majority of the content on the Apollo Thread has nothing to do with the Apollo or Scn. As the Thread went forward it became a "Chat Room" for current world events, media articles, many different topics and cavorting around...Most all interesting and fun stuff but nothing to do with Scn. The Apollo, Scn stuff is sandwiched in here and there sometimes sometimes is sprinkled in heavily from various contributors for 20-30 pages or so and then sparse for 50-60 pages or so. A number of the Old Timer contributors were BC Grads from the '70's and even the '60's at St. Hill, Flag Crew, Class 8's, etc and even a couple of Auditors from the '50's. But, the "wheat" is in a 2,000+ page pile of "chaff"--so to speak.

I love that! It sounds perfect here.

(what world events? you mean something has happened???)

Gib

Crusader

deleted.

sorry, misinterpreted.

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader
Re: maria reads Dianetics and joins Scientology

Scientology uses antiquated, non-comprehensive and invalidly administered IQ Tests that are repeatedly given to the same person which invalidates the results of all subsequent tests administered other than the original, which is not valid as it was not administered under accepted and recognized protocols.

My point was that the tests they used were not special tests developed by Hubbard, they were off the shelf tests which Hubbard got from somewhere else. In my Scio career, I took an IQ test at CCLA around 1971 just prior to joining the S.O. I was not given my result but only told that my score was sufficient to meet S.O. requirements.

I took CoS IQ tests in the early 80's before I started my NOTS and in Feb, 1999, on my last trip to Flag. Each time, I was left in a room by myself and given a certain amount of time to complete the test. I am pretty sure there were 50 questions and that the time given was 30 minutes. The tests had names written on them of where they came from. I never paid much attention to where they originated but did notice that they were standard IQ tests, not something developed by LRH. My best guess is that they were labeled as being from the University of Chicago. That was my only point in what I wrote Mer, THEY WERE STANDARD TESTS, NOT SPECIAL SCIENTOLOGY TESTS CREATED BY LRH!!

As to how they were administered, the test taker was allowed a certain amount of time for the 50 questions to be answered. The test was multiple choice, there were 4 or 5 circles after each question and the directions on how to take the test and the length of time allowed were printed right on the test itself. We were told to darken only one of the boxes and we were given pencils and some scrap paper to aid us if we needed to do calculations.

I took an IQ test at UCLA, at age 20 when I decided to change majors from Engineering to Mathematics and also took them several times when applying for non Scientology jobs and more recently, I have also taken them here on the internet. All my non Scientology IQ tests used the same procedures which were used in my Scientology IQ tests. I can think of no differences whatsoever so would you be so kind as to tell us what specific recognized protocols were not followed in the Scientology tests?

Later, in 1989, I paid WISE $12,500 out of my $65,000 package to come in and help me run my business. They came in and administered IQ tests to my 5 employees at my contracting business. They used the same protocols, passing out pencils and scrap paper and then starting the test, timing it, stopping the test and scoring the test.

Wise then left us several packs of IQ tests. I believe there were 3 versions of the test, not just one version but I am not positive about that. My company began automatically giving an IQ test to each applicant who applied for a job with our company. We did this for over a decade.

Hubbard was quite fond of giving a person an IQ test prior to a major auditing action and then following it up with another IQ test immediately after the action was completed. The purpose was to see if the auditing action raised a person's IQ. This procedure seems legitimate to me, I don't see anything wrong in doing that.

Perhaps, Hubbard went out of his way to only give a person his final IQ score and then, to compare apples to apples, he might want to give the exact same test over again. The big question would be whether of not the test takers were allowed to find out which items they got wrong and to then see the correct answers. If that was done, then obviously the person would get a higher score the next time he took the IQ test, whether or he received auditing or not!

To determine whether a person's IQ went up BECAUSE OF AUDITING, a person must not be told which items he got wrong and what the correct answers were. Also, the exact same IQ test would have to be given after the auditing intensive was completed. If a person WAS told which items he got wrong, then he would have to be given a different version of the test I believe those protocols were adhered to at CCLA

The act of taking the same test over again does not automatically invalidate the results of an IQ test. This is especially true if a long period of time passes before a follow up test is given. I was tested by CoS in the early 70's, early 80's and late 90's. Even if the exact same test was given, it would not effect a person's test scores if the tests were spaced so far apart that the person remembered nothing from his earlier tests.
Lakey

Last edited:

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron

My point was that the tests they used were not special tests developed by Hubbard, they were off the shelf tests which Hubbard got from somewhere else. In my Scio career, I took an IQ test at CCLA around 1971 just prior to joining the S.O. I was not given my result but only told that my score was sufficient to meet S.O. requirements.

I took CoS IQ tests in the early 80's before I started my NOTS and in Feb, 1999, on my last trip to Flag. Each time, I was left in a room by myself and given a certain amount of time to complete the test. I am pretty sure there were 50 questions and that the time given was 30 minutes. The tests had names written on them of where they came from. I never paid much attention to where they originated but did notice that they were standard IQ tests, not something developed by LRH. My best guess is that they were labeled as being from the University of Chicago. That was my only point in what I wrote Mer, THEY WERE STANDARD TESTS, NOT SPECIAL SCIENTOLOGY TESTS CREATED BY LRH!!

As to how they were administered, the test taker was allowed a certain amount of time for the 50 questions to be answered. The test was multiple choice, there were 4 or 5 circles after each question and the directions on how to take the test and the length of time allowed were printed right on the test itself. We were told to darken only one of the boxes and we were given pencils and some scrap paper to aid us if we needed to do calculations.

I took an IQ test at UCLA, at age 20 when I decided to change majors from Engineering to Mathematics and also took them several times when applying for non Scientology jobs and more recently, I have also taken them here on the internet. All my non Scientology IQ tests used the same procedures which were used in my Scientology IQ tests. I can think of no differences whatsoever so would you be so kind as to tell us what specific recognized protocols were not followed in the Scientology tests?

Later, in 1989, I paid WISE $12,500 out of my $65,000 package to come in and help me run my business. They came in and administered IQ tests to my 5 employees at my contracting business. They used the same protocols, passing out pencils and scrap paper and then starting the test, timing it and stopping it.

Wise then left us several packs of IQ tests. I believe there were 3 versions of the test, not just one version but I am not positive about that. My company began automatically giving an IQ test to each applicant who applied for a job with our company. We did this for over a decade.

Hubbard was quite fond of giving a person an IQ test prior to a major auditing action and then following it up with another IQ test immediately after the action was completed. The purpose was to see if the auditing action raised a person's IQ. This procedure seems legitimate to me, I don't see anything wrong in doing that.

Perhaps, Hubbard went out of his way to only give a person his final IQ score and then, to compare apples to apples, he might want to give the exact same test over again. The big question would be whether of not the test takers were allowed to find out which items they got wrong and to then see the correct answers. If that was done, then obviously the person would get a higher score the next time he took the IQ test, whether or he received auditing or not!

To determine whether a person's IQ went up BECAUSE OF AUDITING, a person must not be told which items he got wrong and what the correct answers were. Also, the exact same IQ test would have to be given after the auditing intensive was completed. If a person WAS told which items he got wrong, then he would have to be given a different version of the test I believe those protocols were adhered to at CCLA

The act of taking the same test over again does not automatically invalidate the results of an IQ test. This is especially true if a long period of times passes before a follow up test is given. I was tested by CoS in the early 70's, early 80's and late 90's. Even if the exact same test was given, it would not effect a person's test scores if the tests were spaced so far apart that the person remembered nothing from his earlier tests.
Lakey

I'm not gonna argue with you Lakey...If you took the time to do some reading about IQ Testing you'd understand why I completely disagree with your premise that there is nothing wrong with Scns IQ Test, Testing Procedures and Protocols yielding an accurate IQ score.

lkwdblds

Crusader

The above is an accurate description of the Apollo Thread. As I've stated countless times, the idea for this type of thread came totally from Carmelo. I had no part in this format whatsoever, other than agreeing with Carmelo that it was okay to keep the existing name for the thread which I had started on my own, i.e., "The Old Days - Aboard the Apollo - 1973".

Carmelo likes to think outside the box. I wanted to start a new thread with a new name but Carmelo made the case that we already had 7,200 hits and had built up a following of good posters so why start over from scratch.

I. for one, am glad that Carmelo talked me into going along with keeping the existing name and co hosting the thread with him. At the very, very beginning of our alliance, Sweetness and Light was also a co host as well because she took an early liking to the thread and was giving me a lot of encouragement to continue with it, even before Carmelo and I got together.

One interesting phenomena which surprised me and even Carmelo was that since we talked about almost everything under the Sun, we started coming up on the big search engines. I was a babe in the woods, pretty new to computer posting back in 2009 while Carmelo already knew the ropes pretty well. Even so, as far as I know, Carmelo did not anticipate that our thread would start coming up on the major search engines when various topics which we discussed were searched.

At that time, late 2009, early 2010, the leading thread was the big thread having to do with the old days back at the DC Org. One of the big posters there was Commander Birdsong. As big as their thread was, they stayed pretty much on topic and did not branch out and discuss other major topics. Thus the big search engines did not refer people to their thread and their thread eventually died out with about 490,000 hits.

Carmelo and I both wanted to provide a safe forum on this thread where people could have their say without being lambasted with viscious criticism and invalidation. ESMB seemed to develop contrary to this goal of ours. On the main body of ESMB, things seemed to separate out into ex Scios with different agendas who had difficulty tolerating each other. We provided something different than that.

As we drew in new quality posters, many of our posts became quite high in substance and quality and we had many of the top exes which Face cites above, all posting here at the same time. Probably, when people arrived here via search engines, many of them found many of our posts worthwhile and they would keep coming back and checking us out from time to time. Meanwhile, the search engines would continue to route new people here.

Those older days are gone, most of our regulars have moved on but when it seems slow on this thread and not much is going on, somebody new, with a great story to tell shows up and invigorates the thread and keeps the thread going strong!
Lakey

JustSheila

Crusader

To determine whether a person's IQ went up BECAUSE OF AUDITING, a person must not be told which items he got wrong and what the correct answers were. Also, the exact same IQ test would have to be given after the auditing intensive was completed.
Lakey

You are misinformed, Lakey.

The same test cannot be given again. That is the procedure used in universities.

This is because repeated testing results in familiarity with the questions and answers. After taking a test, people think about their answers and work out which ones they got right or wrong. So repeatedly using the same IQ test (or any other identical test used repeatedly, for that matter) nearly always results in a better score the second, third or whatever time one takes it.

I took classes at psychological statistical analysis. It's true.

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader

I'm not gonna argue with you Lakey...If you took the time to do some reading about IQ Testing you'd understand why I completely disagree with your premise that there is nothing wrong with Scns IQ Test, Testing Procedures and Protocols yielding an accurate IQ score.

You manufactured a premise that I never stated. I simply stated that Hubbard and Scientology did not make up their own IQ tests forms but used widely distributed standard test forms. That is all that I said and then I clarified that for you but you continue reading more into what I said than I actually said.

I admit that I thought that the entire procedure was to take the timed test in a quiet room by yourself with a pencil, an eraser and some scrap paper and then submit the test for scoring. That is how all the tests which I ever took or ever gave others were conducted, both inside and outside of Scientology, and also how the various tests given on the internet, which I have taken for fun, were conducted..

I am not insisting that is all there is to IQ testing. It's quite possible that there is more to the subject and that you know more about the subject than I do. I gave my opinion based on my limited personal experience with the subject. I have no problem accepting your premise that there is more to the subject than what i thought and that the Scientology tests are not conducted with all the proper protocol. At this moment, I don't have enough interest to look up and study the subject and verify that you are correct.

The thing I find annoying is not that their may be more to valid IQ testing than my limited personal exposure to it led me to believe but that you read into the claim I made about the forms used by CoS, a premise which I never made.
Lakey

Status
Not open for further replies.