What's new

Lawrence Wright on Bill Maher tonight Mar 6 - HBO

Techless

Patron Meritorious
Just shooting this up as thought it odd that it hasn't been mentioned already.

apologize if it has...

Happy Friday all!

Techless

Patron Meritorious
Should've blerped this up too:

excerpt from article: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/j...l-time-with-bill-maher/#.VPdMH7YOKS0.facebook

"Lawrence Wright—armed with his investigative talents, years of archival research, and more than two hundred personal interviews with current and former Scientologists—uncovered the inner workings of the cult of Scientology. He researched founder L. Ron Hubbard, the highly imaginative but mentally troubled science-fiction writer..."

Yummy!

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
An SAT analogy problem:

L. Ron Hubbard is to mentally troubled as having your penis "degloved" to correct Peyronie's disease is to mild discomfort.

(This is what I'm talking about. Don't click the link. Just don't. You were warned. Don't say you weren't.)

The Bill Maher interview was interesting, his pronouncing theetans - ehh. But he was knowledgeable on Scientology - and he makes no bones about it needing to be shut down. I thought Bill's question about the cosmology of scientology - it's origin - went awry when Lawrence went off on the kookie Xenu story, rather than the duller - we're all infinite spiritual beings business, which perhaps was a better move on his part - who but a scio would know the difference? Of course, that lead Bill to bring up the point that most religions make no bones about their basis, and tell you upfront, but nooo, Scientology leads you up the path to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars before you find it out.

V Good interview all in all. It should be on youtube soon.

Mimsey

Techless

Patron Meritorious
I searched my TV for this but couldn't find it. It must be on a channel I don't get. I was hoping someone would put up a link to it.

Thank you!

It's on HBO, now again actually, and will be throughout the week as usual repeats of the show. Sorry, I don't think there are 'links' to TV/cable channels, other
than the channels own websites.

Rest assured, it'll be on YToob soon....

Techless

Patron Meritorious
I'm not sure why Larry got mixed up on the DC8 thing? He said DC5s...

What? Now I'm all F-ed up, I had first class seats on the DC8, now maybe, I'm not so sure...?!?!

Also not sure about the "false" pictures of Jesus Christ....75 million years ago. (on some OTIII versions out there)

Maybe I did EP after all- ah shit, I just as-ised the refrigerator - gotta go

Techless

Patron Meritorious
Ah geez, if you As-is the left side of your brain, does that mean your whole Right side will disappear?

It's too late and I'm wide friggin awake-

I'll try and refrain from here

There's a TED video of some shrink who had a seizure on one half of her brain. The logical side was gone. When she had the stroke, she saw the need to call 911 but couldn't figure out how to dial the phone. I wish I had a link to it - it's a fascinating lecture.

Mimsey

Ah geez, if you As-is the left side of your brain, does that mean your whole Right side will disappear?

It's too late and I'm wide friggin awake-

I'll try and refrain from here

imSPecial

Patron with Honors
There's a TED video of some shrink who had a seizure on one half of her brain. The logical side was gone. When she had the stroke, she saw the need to call 911 but couldn't figure out how to dial the phone. I wish I had a link to it - it's a fascinating lecture.

Mimsey

:surrender: please excuse the sidetrack. since you brought this up mimsey...just wanted to mention neurologist oliver sacks' book the man who mistook his wife for a hat. full of short case studies like the one you mention. fascinating stuff, if you're interested in that kind of thing. i am. hemispatial neglect syndrome is bizarrely tragic, too.

imSPecial

Patron with Honors
great interview. bill maher, meh, you like him or you don't but lawrence wright is great at delivering his message.