What's new

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/articles/2015/04/10/opinion/doc5527dcaef0466439302534.txt

COLUMN: Scientology: A criminal enterprise

(excerpt)

After watching "Going Clear," an HBO documentary on Scientology, I am now convinced that their "religion" is not a cult, as I had thought for many years, but actually it is an organized crime operation.

It is a "religion" founded by a huckster (L. Ron Hubbard) and is currently run by a despot (David Miscavige). Their methodology for keeping people brainwashed is simple, but there is a complex system at work to build on a brand and keep cash flowing in.

Scientology does have its cult-like qualities such as its own special lingo for simple terms such as "suppressive persons" for those who doubt them and "auditor" for a person who basically acts as a psychiatrist. But you do not amass a billion-dollar empire without instilling fear, cravenly keeping secrecy at a high level and having an effective way of getting other people's money into your pockets.

To make your way along "the bridge to total freedom" toward some sort of enlightenment, those who join Scientology have to pay to learn about your own "religion."

To talk with an "auditor" and achieve the next level in the Escher-like set of steps it takes to learn about Xenu, it will cost you. One former "auditor" said some sessions can cost as much as $1,000 an hour and people have been drained of their life savings along the way.

Just like any good crime syndicate, you want to keep your business model under wraps lest someone rat you out for being the criminal you really are while you soft-peddle yourself as some kind of saint.

Scientology has perfected the practice.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/articles/2015/04/10/opinion/doc5527dcaef0466439302534.txt

COLUMN: Scientology: A criminal enterprise

(excerpt)

After watching "Going Clear," an HBO documentary on Scientology, I am now convinced that their "religion" is not a cult, as I had thought for many years, but actually it is an organized crime operation.

It is a "religion" founded by a huckster (L. Ron Hubbard) and is currently run by a despot (David Miscavige). Their methodology for keeping people brainwashed is simple, but there is a complex system at work to build on a brand and keep cash flowing in.

Scientology does have its cult-like qualities such as its own special lingo for simple terms such as "suppressive persons" for those who doubt them and "auditor" for a person who basically acts as a psychiatrist. But you do not amass a billion-dollar empire without instilling fear, cravenly keeping secrecy at a high level and having an effective way of getting other people's money into your pockets.

To make your way along "the bridge to total freedom" toward some sort of enlightenment, those who join Scientology have to pay to learn about your own "religion."

To talk with an "auditor" and achieve the next level in the Escher-like set of steps it takes to learn about Xenu, it will cost you. One former "auditor" said some sessions can cost as much as $1,000 an hour and people have been drained of their life savings along the way.

Just like any good crime syndicate, you want to keep your business model under wraps lest someone rat you out for being the criminal you really are while you soft-peddle yourself as some kind of saint.

Scientology has perfected the practice.

This person gets it !!!:yes:

Forget the soft-pedal "we don't care about the beliefs; it's just the abuses we object to." It's all part of the one package.

Splendid article - made my breakfast reading session.

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I commend Gibney for finding and using this photo in "Going Clear". It shows L. Ron Hubbard holding his third child Alexis with his second wife Sara in Bay Head, New Jersey where Scientology says he wrote Dianetics. LRH denied that Sara was his wife and that Alexis was his child. As was quoted in "Going Clear" Sara said Hubbard kidnapped Alexis and told Sara he cut Alexis into pieces and threw her in a river. In my opinion one of the worst things LRH ever did. He was an evil, cruel criminal.

hubbard%20sara%20baby.png

LRH later tried to replace them and that part of his history by taking this photo across the street with his third wife Mary Sue and fourth child Diana:

9lfr86.jpg

See this thread for more info. on the photos and locations:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...entology-Site-of-Founder-L-Ron-Hubbard-s-Home

New media on "Going Clear" and this topic today:
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/04/scientologys_jersey_roots_religion_got_its_start_i.html

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
can anybody give me advice on where I can see the film "Going clear" in the UK?
Do you have to download it or where can I see it?
thanks

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron

ForLease

Maximus Squirrel
I don't know if anyone noticed but Mimi Rogers is on Mad Men. Her opening scene was with Elisabeth Moss.

And her character hits on Moss by the end.

I was cracking up when she touched Moss.

I kept thinking, "Oh noes, GET BACK YOU S.P."

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Spanky Taylor's son has responded to my tweets about Spanky's scumbag ex-husband that participated in a cult smear video on her.

@Garry_Scarff @OTVIIIisGrrr8 @UPROXX he failed to mention all the affairs he had, and that he beat her on a regular basis. #Spankysson

@Garry_Scarff @OTVIIIisGrrr8 @UPROXX Spanky's ex husband is full of shit! He stopped talking to us cuz we wouldn't disconnect from our mom!

https://twitter.com/travispinon/status/587518854693195777

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Going Clear seen byr 5.5 million viewers

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/hbo-scientology-film-proves-popular-network-30292102

HBO Scientology Film Proves Popular for Network

(excerpt)

If the Church of Scientology was hoping that HBO's withering documentary on the religion's practices would pass by with little notice, that turned out to be a miscalculation.

"Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief" has been seen by more than 5.5 million people since its debut two weeks ago. It is likely to wind up being second only to a 2013 movie on Beyonce as the premium cable network's most-watched documentary of the past decade, HBO said Monday.

It has been an extraordinary two months for HBO's film unit. The six-part series on billionaire Robert Durst, "The Jinx," was a sensation with its climax reaching nearly 5 million viewers. Durst was arrested for murder on the eve of the series' last episode, in part due to evidence uncovered by the filmmakers.

The Church of Scientology ran a full-page advertisement in The New York Times denouncing the film before it ran, questioning whether "Going Clear" would turn out to be like Rolling Stone magazine's since-retracted story about an alleged sexual assault at the University of Virginia.

"I didn't think we expected this kind of noise and this kind of energy, but we'll take it," said Sheila Nevins, the veteran chief of HBO's documentary unit. "I didn't think it would be this controversial."

Nevins said she's already worried about what she can do to follow up the current success.

"How do you match Durst going into the bathroom (and discussing the murders he stands accused of)?" she said. "How do you match people taking out a full-page ad in the New York Times and it's not your obituary?

"The real problem for anxiety-prone people like me is what comes next," she said.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

This is something that has not been well explored by the pundits. Maybe the cult is gathering its collective legal wits for a future onslaught, but in the past, their lawyers would already have been at HBO's door by now.

One of the issues is that there are only so many lawyers willing to put up with Slappy's micromanagement, and 20 some of them are already "handling" Marty and Mosey. Between the distraction of all the Narconon, Garcia, and other suits, the personal animosity against Marty, and the sheer wall of entheta cresting over the cult's ramparts, they just can't mount a decent legal harassment campaign anymore.

And with that one great weapon gone, it's the beginning of the end for them.