What's new

Scientology ready to sue HBO for Copyright Infringement!

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Is there something wrong in being a disaffected ex member? Surely any ex members of anything are are at least partially disaffected?

I used to shop at Tesco but now I shop at Lidl, you could say I'm a bitter disaffected ex customer, but I don't blog about Tesco, I just found a cheaper option. I do say things about the cherch because I have seen so many good people hurt by it, Tescos just charge slightly more. I know it's just an attempt to make people like us look like nutters with anger issues but despite all the advances the cult has made in PR if you ask any member of the public, here at least, they will tell you it's a cult. Ask people who have left the cult and watch them shudder.

Jump

Operating teatime
LOL...do they actually think all these wall-o-text letters are going to make HBO cancel?

I think the HBO legal team will be having a good laugh at play-lunch.

I couldn't read them all, but Ms Yingling paints Gibney as confusing the general with the specific, then tries to shoot him down by confusing the general with the specific. Standard scientological "I can do it but you can't" double speak.

:duh:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
F3XWSgr.png

This is a very interesting e-mailed letter for a number of reasons.

It's immediately apparent that Ms. Yingling is not writing this letter on behalf of any client (CSI, RTC. CoS, etc.).
Instead, she's writing on her own behalf.
Notice how many times "I" is used. Notice, too, beneath her e-signature it doesn't say, 'Counsel for Blah-Blah-Blah'.

Right off the bat, she states Alex Gibney, is a "client" of Jay Ward, but nowhere in this e-missive does she state that she represents anyone/any entity.
Notice it's Alex Gibney - the individual - with whom she finds fault.

She objects to what Alex Gibney - the individual - said in a TV interview, specifically how he characterized her work - as an individual - in connection with the long-ago litigation work vs. the IRS. She briefly references unnamed, "other lawyers" as also having been mischaracterized by Mr. Gibney during the interview, so it will be interesting to see if any of them also write letters to Jay Ward. If so, I'll bet they are also written from a decidedly personal, not representational, perspective.

The last paragraph contains, for the first time to my knowledge, the magic phrases: "actual malice" & "cease and desist".
But it is Ms. Yingling, the individual, who demands Alex Gibney, the individual, comply with this demand.

Note: Thank you, Black Rob, for posting all of these letters here. :thankyou:

JB

tl;dr

Stay tuned, Yingling vs. Gibney may well be coming to a courthouse soon.
It's a semi-clever way for Co$ to sue, with little risk of Co$ management ever having to be deposed/testify.

Last edited:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I can see Yingling read Jenna Miscavige's new book - 'Beyond Belief'

Who says "willfully ignorant" - not a Scientologist. Jenna Miscavige coined that phrase and she should sue Monique for using it.

Good Job Jenna for taking over the Scio Bot mind of a crazy Scientology Attorney...even if it is for a brief moment. VWD!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Seeing all these tl;dr letters remind me of many of the tl;dr that a couple of posters here are in the habit of posting, despite pleas to K.I.S.S. There is much to be said about the K.I.S.S principle.

I suspect HBO attorneys are at the point where they just scan the letter and file these away without bothering to read all the details. Reading them is such a time and energy sucker.

tl;dr may well be OSA's latest derail tactic in attempting to silence this documentary, since using all the usual tactics has not been working for them lately.

When reading these letters, keep in mind these tactics, as outlined here so well by JustSheila

OSA TACTICS AND PROCEDURES

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?21676-OSA-TACTICS-AND-PROCEDURES

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Genuine, attorney-generated "cease and desist" letters must contain certain language to meet legal threshold requirements.

By and large, the contents of the numerous letters posted in this thread lack this legal language.

Ironically enough, John Travolta's one-time attorney, Marty Singer, *charitably* educated the readers of The Hollywood Reporter all about what a genuine "cease and desist" letter should include in order to meet the applicable legal threshold.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/marty-singer-brett-ratner-new-york-magazine-letter-350616

Compare Mr. Singer's sagacious pointers about effective legal correspondence against the attorney-generated letters in this thread and you'll find them wanting. :yes:

JB

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
If that was the case? who would defend a murderer? child molester? rapist? Just because you defend someone or something to the best of your abilities does not make you a bad person.

John Adams set the tone for this in American jurisprudence with his defense of Capt. Preston and the soldiers who perpetrated the Boston Massacre:

The part I took in defense of captain Preston and the soldiers, procured me anxiety, and obloquy enough. It was, however, one of the most gallant, generous, manly and disinterested actions of my whole life, and one of the best pieces of service I ever rendered my country. Judgment of death against those soldiers would have been as foul a stain upon this country as the executions of the Quakers or witches, anciently.

That much we agree on.

On the other hand, lawyers are officers of the court. They are under an obligation to report illegal activities on the part of their client such as attempts at witness, jury or judicial intimidation. Don't tell me these evil fucks representing the Co$ have "no idea" what else their client is getting up to in its own defense. To not know about that at this time would indicate a degree of due diligence so staggering as to make the lawyer not worth hiring in the first place.

That is where we can start to indict the lawyers, too. Ignoring the criminal behavior of the Co$ during court cases crosses into unethical behavior for their representation.

JustSheila

Crusader
It occurred to me last night that just as the Cult of Scientology has made SOOOOO many enemies of the media, exScientologists, communities, churches (real ones), and the general public -

I hadn't even given much thought to how many enemies its LAWYERS have made! :roflmao:

All those court cases where they used underhanded actions, all the lies spewed, all the lawyers involved or watching this over decades... lol!

And if they sue HBO, how incredibly interesting will the court case be?

Every legal mind in the country (except the tainted Scn lawyers, of course) will want to represent HBO!

HBO must already be receiving thousands of resumes from lawyers around the country, and all the legal universities are probably already working out scenarios for this case.

Does it matter that COS keeps referring to their own cases as legal precedents, with the same narrow, tainted views of the 1st amendment? The Headley case pretty much said if a group has church status, it is above murder. But the 1st amendment is to a constitution establishing the USA as a DEMOCRACY, not the instrument of advantage for one, single, mafia-like institution masquerading as a church while committing crimes.

I'd like to see COS' old croney lawyers suffer mild bouts of dementia in the midst of the legal proceedings with the sharpest lawyers in the country all set to have a go at them, but the lawyers too arrogant to back off! :giggle:

Of course, the Church of Scientology only exists for the benefit of its lawyers. Isn't that where the money has always gone? Donate to lawyers, everyone!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Is there something wrong in being a disaffected ex member? Surely any ex members of anything are are at least partially disaffected?

I used to shop at Tesco but now I shop at Lidl, you could say I'm a bitter disaffected ex customer, but I don't blog about Tesco, I just found a cheaper option. I do say things about the cherch because I have seen so many good people hurt by it, Tescos just charge slightly more. I know it's just an attempt to make people like us look like nutters with anger issues but despite all the advances the cult has made in PR if you ask any member of the public, here at least, they will tell you it's a cult. Ask people who have left the cult and watch them shudder.

Exactly!

Add to that the 100,000 pound elephant in the room that none of these cult lawyers seem to notice. . .

The simple fact that all those terrible "APOSTATES" that are obsessed with attacking Scientology, NOT "for no reason".

There is a reason.

What is missed, obviously, is that these evil "APOSTATES" are not some special breed of malevolent human--THEY ARE ALL SCIENTOLOGISTS WHO SPENT DECADES AND HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON AND IN SCIENTOLOGY.

These terrible "APOSTATES" are simply dissatisfied customers who are unhappy about being defrauded.

Scientology tries so hard to make it sound like customer complaints are mean something is wrong with the customer. They always did that to Scientologists, who accepted the compounded abuse. But now these corrupt lawyers actually expect the public at large to go along with those kind of cruel mind games. Hey! The public has e-bay and the rest of the internet and they aren't going to EVER forfeit their right to giving a scorching review for a vendor that is ripping people off.

What the cult and its lawyers pray will happen one day is this--if they write enough nasty indignant letters, people will just conclude that they have no right to complain about being victimized by a sociopathic cult who will do virtually ANYTHING to to get everyone else's money.

Gib

Crusader
Exactly!

Add to that the 100,000 pound elephant in the room that none of these cult lawyers seem to notice. . .

The simple fact that all those terrible "APOSTATES" that are obsessed with attacking Scientology, NOT "for no reason".

There is a reason.

What is missed, obviously, is that these evil "APOSTATES" are not some special breed of malevolent human--THEY ARE ALL SCIENTOLOGISTS WHO SPENT DECADES AND HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON AND IN SCIENTOLOGY.

These terrible "APOSTATES" are simply dissatisfied customers who are unhappy about being defrauded.

Scientology tries so hard to make it sound like customer complaints are mean something is wrong with the customer. They always did that to Scientologists, who accepted the compounded abuse. But now these corrupt lawyers actually expect the public at large to go along with those kind of cruel mind games. Hey! The public has e-bay and the rest of the internet and they aren't going to EVER forfeit their right to giving a scorching review for a vendor that is ripping people off.

What the cult and its lawyers pray will happen one day is this--if they write enough nasty indignant letters, people will just conclude that they have no right to complain about being victimized by a sociopathic cult who will do virtually ANYTHING to to get everyone else's money.

:duh::duh::duh::duh:

And I wish the media would pick up on it. :yes:

Show me a mother fuck'in clear.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
So what is next for OSA? It is not working - HBO is going full steam ahead. No one is afraid of your cult. You are done!

Oh, and by the way - FUCK YOU OSA :biggrin:

Your cult is the most hated religious scam of the 21st Century and your founder is a psychopathic nobody that everyone laughs at! L Con Hubturd!

HBO will make it the laughing stock of the planet - nothing you can do about it.

EVERYONE will see this documentary and will know about Xenu, your leader David Miscavige beats people and you stupid OSA bots protect it all...

Why don't you wake the fuck up?

BlackRob

Gold Meritorious Patron
The primary mode of attack is to go after Wright and Gibney’s interview subjects one by one, assigning each a broad label: “A Violent Sociopath,” “The Wife Beater,” “The Home Wrecker,” “The Drama Queen,” etc. And all come attached with the blurriest and least flattering photographs they could dig up: One giving the middle finger, another grabbing his balls, and a third not looking model-perfect in a two-piece bikini. Even Gibney himself is made to look like the proprietor of that creepy adult bookstore just off the highway. An organization with handsome movie stars like Tom Cruise and John Travolta as their public face is trying to imply that these people, so ugly on the outside, must be ugly on the inside, too. What kind of monster drinks Bud Light out of a can? Surely not Tom Cruise!

MONSTER!!!!!
wfmJ9ns.png

Last edited:
The primary mode of attack is to go after Wright and Gibney’s interview subjects one by one, assigning each a broad label: “A Violent Sociopath,” “The Wife Beater,” “The Home Wrecker,” “The Drama Queen,” etc. And all come attached with the blurriest and least flattering photographs they could dig up: One giving the middle finger, another grabbing his balls, and a third not looking model-perfect in a two-piece bikini. Even Gibney himself is made to look like the proprietor of that creepy adult bookstore just off the highway. An organization with handsome movie stars like Tom Cruise and John Travolta as their public face is trying to imply that these people, so ugly on the outside, must be ugly on the inside, too. What kind of monster drinks Bud Light out of a can? Surely not Tom Cruise!

MONSTER!!!!!
wfmJ9ns.png
No! They photo shopped it - look a the Coors Light table card - does that look real? Everybody knows Mike drinks Corona!

Mimsey

BlackRob

Gold Meritorious Patron
Seems like they are not finished. Scientology posted up this video yesterday. They are mad because HBO didn't reply to all them letters.

[video=vimeo;126895194]https://vimeo.com/126895194[/video]

JustSheila

Crusader
If you watch the Scn vid with the sound off, it looks like there are missing persons that COS is hiding and that the big letter crimes across the screen are COS crimes against these people as victims.

:hysterical:

I'll bet Anonymous could have a bit of fun doing their own voiceovers to this vid. :coolwink: