What's new

Hubbard and Hermetics

guRl

Patron with Honors
I apologize in advance if the possible connection between Scientology and the teachings of Hermetics has already been discussed (here's to the wonderful tech of merging! :coolwink:)-
In these days I'm reading the Kybalion, a text that contains the basic teachings of Hermetics, and this following paragraph caught my eye:

"The Hermetists understand the art and methods of rising above the ordinary plane of Cause and Effect, to a certain degree, and by mentally rising to a higher plane they become Causers instead of Effects. The masses of people are carried along, obedient to environment; the wills and desires of others stronger then themselves; heredity; suggestion; and other outward causes moving them like pawns on the Chessboard of Life. But the Masters, rising to the plane above, dominate their moods, characters, qualities, and powers, as well as the environment surrounding them, and become movers instead of pawns. They help to play the game of life, instead of being played and moved about the other wills and environment".

Wow. Searching for possible influences and plagiarism? Look no further :omg:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I apologize in advance if the possible connection between Scientology and the teachings of Hermetics has already been discussed (here's to the wonderful tech of merging! :coolwink:)-
In these days I'm reading the Kybalion, a text that contains the basic teachings of Hermetics, and this following paragraph caught my eye:

"The Hermetists understand the art and methods of rising above the ordinary plane of Cause and Effect, to a certain degree, and by mentally rising to a higher plane they become Causers instead of Effects. The masses of people are carried along, obedient to environment; the wills and desires of others stronger then themselves; heredity; suggestion; and other outward causes moving them like pawns on the Chessboard of Life. But the Masters, rising to the plane above, dominate their moods, characters, qualities, and powers, as well as the environment surrounding them, and become movers instead of pawns. They help to play the game of life, instead of being played and moved about the other wills and environment".

Wow. Searching for possible influences and plagiarism? Look no further :omg:

Hermetics? If you mean the Occult, Magic, Rosicrucianism, Theurgy, Alchemy, Thelema, Golden Dawn, Sorcery, and Conjuration, etc, etc, etc, to say that a connection between these subjects and this cult has already been discussed would be a huge understatement.

guRl

Patron with Honors
Hermetics? If you mean the Occult, Magic, Rosicrucianism, Theurgy, Alchemy, Thelema, Golden Dawn, Sorcery, and Conjuration, etc, etc, etc, to say that a connection between these subjects and this cult has already been discussed would be a huge understatement.

You're right of course, it's just that when I would read Rosicrucianist texts, or Alchemy etc, I would notice the similarities between the concepts presented there and Scientology. In this case however, while reading the Hermetics text, I wasn't noticing subtle similarities, rather I felt like I'm reading the exact same effin thing. I mean it's downright the same key sentences! And if Hermetics is the basis for all the other stuff, well, that's what I meant by "looking no further" :coolwink:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
You're right of course, it's just that when I would read Rosicrucianist texts, or Alchemy etc, I would notice the similarities between the concepts presented there and Scientology. In this case however, while reading the Hermetics text, I wasn't noticing subtle similarities, rather I felt like I'm reading the exact same effin thing. I mean it's downright the same key sentences! And if Hermetics is the basis for all the other stuff, well, that's what I meant by "looking no further" :coolwink:

Hubbard was an 'ultra-thelemist'. In other words, he considered his will to do something gave him the right to do it. According to Bent Corydon's book 'LRH, Messiah or Madman?' he discovered Aleister Crowley when he was sixteen years old visiting the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.

There are certain passages in Crowley's works that are repeated, only slightly altered, by Hubbard. Other similarities abound.