What's new

ESMB and The Freezone - let's have it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Then what are you doing on a moderated board?

Is it fine for me to register 6 sockpuppets and just go around taking pot shots at every poster I personally dislike because I can?

Is it OK for someone to make an abusive and inflamitory post just to stir trouble because they are bored?

Where do you draw the line?

Good questions.

None of them apply in this situation.

Alanzo,

Understood. I don't know anything about the post you're refering to, but I do feel the same way about censorship. So let's put it behind us and continue to be a haven for all those who are on the fence with Scientology and need a safe, friendly, place of understanding so they can get their heads together. In other words, don't go anywhere--humanity awaits.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Pitbull

Patron with Honors
Scientology in any form is a complete and utter scam and people who are out but are practicing the policies and traditions of Scientology are just continuing to live in the illusion that any of it works (despite whatever ad-hominen nonsense you can make up to prove it does). The fact is, there are no super powers, there are not OTs there are no aliens ruling the galaxy in furtherance of a conspiracy and the FDA/AMA/APA/FBI did not do Scientology. This forum is for surviving Scientology, not letting it haunt around like the ten thousand pound gorilla's corpse rotting in the living room. Although your welcome to FZA was probably because you were probably not very nice to them (I saw the discussion btw ...)

You could really use some ad hominem, but I'll hold myself back out of respect for everyone else on the board. What is your story? You get duped into joining staff or something? We all know there is endless scam and BS associated with Scientology. Many ruined lives, etc.

But also many many examples of individuals who have found benefit from some aspects of it.

I'm tired of hearing from the "rotting" corpses of those who have just given on the idea of improving their lives and working for greater spiritual understanding. Its great you are finally off lines. But for better or worse the experience of "scientology" is also part of the experience of being in this world.

There are a lot of ways to get screwed and taken advantage of. A lot of good things out there too! I can't just divorce my self from the experiences of my life, and Scientology was part of it.

Question is: What are you going to do now?

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Then what are you doing on a moderated board?

Is it fine for me to register 6 sockpuppets and just go around taking pot shots at every poster I personally dislike because I can?

Is it OK for someone to make an abusive and inflamitory post just to stir trouble because they are bored?

Where do you draw the line?

Just this side of pinkness.

Pixie

Crusader
After the Church of Scientology, and "TNX", and then Beliefnet, I told myself that I would never subject myself to censorship again on a Scientology message board, or in any other part of life.

It's just not worth it.

I'm afraid I have no respect for the rules when it comes to censorship. Psych spam is one thing, because it is not communication.

But Roan's post was communication, and it was an important point he was making, and it was on-topic and very relevant. It should not have been censored in the first place.

Therefore, I stand by what I did, and I support Roan in what he did. We made sure that his communication got through, and made it as difficult as possible for the censor to do his job.

In this instance, I remain unhandled, and unapologetic.

Kill me if you want.

I don't care.

Brave Brave Alanzo.. :yes:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Good questions.

None of them apply in this situation.

Yes they do apply to this situation. Because once you introduce moderation you introduce judgement & sensorship.

The post was judged to be inflamitory. I'm not sure that I personally agree but AGAIN this is not the point. The post could have simply been rewritten WITHOUT the invective and it would have been just as effective. But no, that didn't happen. It was posted over and over without any attempt at resolving the situation with the moderator.

The point was that you guys completely disregarded a moderator who was trying to do his job. This could have been resolved EASILY if you and Roan had of acted like grownups.

You pushed him to the point where he had no choice BUT to ban him.

Can't you see this?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Yes they do apply to this situation. Because once you introduce moderation you introduce judgement & sensorship.

The post was judged to be inflamitory. I'm not sure that I personally agree but AGAIN this is not the point. The post could have simply been rewritten WITHOUT the invective and it would have been just as effective. But no, that didn't happen. It was posted over and over without any attempt at resolving the situation with the moderator.

The point was that you guys completely disregarded a moderator who was trying to do his job. This could have been resolved EASILY if you and Roan had of acted like grownups.

You pushed him to the point where he had no choice BUT to ban him.

Can't you see this?

Yes.

And yes, the point is that we completely disregarded a moderator who was trying to censor a post he didn't like.

I completely agree.

I'm sorry, I do have respect for you and this board, and even for "Thor".

But not for the way the rules were applied in this case.

I broke the rules, intentionally and on-purpose.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Yes.

And yes, the point is that we completely disregarded a moderator who was trying to censor a post he didn't like.

I completely agree.

It was NOT the idea of the post he didn't like. It was not his right to voice his opinion that was sensored. It was the language. Had it been rewritten to say EXACTLY the same thing WITHOUT the inflamitory language there would not have been a problem.

Why is this so fucking hard to understand?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
It was NOT the idea of the post he didn't like. It was not his right to voice his opinion that was sensored. It was the language. Had it been rewritten to say EXACTLY the same thing WITHOUT the inflamitory language there would not have been a problem.

Why is this so fucking hard to understand?

I'm an adult. There are no children here.

Bad or inflammatory language is not harmful to anyone in this situation.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Yes.

Aren't you now making a judgement on what a moderator apparently liked or did not like? Based on what?

The FAQs talk about respect, that's what is needed and it's really not that hard to be civil.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I understand that it is hard to find moderators. I also understand that it is a shitty job.

But in this case, I chose to defy the censorship of the moderator.

And I would again.

Sorry.

In my opinion, the post should never have been censored in the first place.

It was that mistake by the moderator which caused all these problems.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
What's the wog equivalent for "SER FAC"?

I think it's "You are being insane right now. Your opinion is therefore invalid and you have no right to it. Or any rights at all if we say so."

So like I said, kill me.

paradox

ab intra silentio vera
Recently I have had reason to question the easy going stance on ESMB to the Freezone.

Originally I decided that FZers were welcome here because fundamentally they are Ex Scientologists. Now I have some reasons to be concerned about this apparent "affiliation" with the FZ and a perception that ESMB is a recruiting ground for and/or a free advertising venue to a larger audience for the FZ.

I haven't made any decision regarding this as yet and I'm looking for some feedback. Please don't get hysterical about this. I'm really after some thought out responses.

I want to know what you all think.

I would have to question the validity of the above that I've emphasized in red-bold. Ex-church members, yes. But ex-scientologists? I don't follow that at all. Would data actually support that as a valid premise or conclusion?

I did think it odd when I first came across the ESMB that it would have a forum section dedicated to the FZ. My opinion is it should be dumped. Same would apply for any other area devoted to independents or other businesses and so forth. In scientologese, for ESMB, it seems to me that those areas would be "added inapplicables" and not aligned with the purpose of an EX-scientologist board. Why give them a free ride with dedicated areas set aside for them here? :no:

Signatures lines are personal so I don't see any problem with anyone, including fz'ers using those to show affiliations, site addresses, whatever. Big deal, you know? But not given any special treatment; they should be allowed to post but expected to adhere to the same tenets of good manners and self-moderation as the rest of us.

Last opinion; I thought it ill-advised of Thor to word his ban as if it were an "ethics order" (or non-enturb, or expulsion order) ... intentional or unintentional "restim" for ex-scientologists? I.E. "His only terminal is ...." :no: Oooh. Bad, bad.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Aren't you now making a judgement on what a moderator apparently liked or did not like? Based on what?

The FAQs talk about respect, that's what is needed and it's really not that hard to be civil.

The moderator, I believe, was the one who posted the original "Success Story" written by Pierre Either about auditing his pc, <>, without <>'s approval.

So the moderator, being a freezoner, wanted to cover all of this up.

It's important for everybody to know that things like this go on in the freezone.

So I refused to be censored on this point.

And will so refuse again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
The moderator, I believe, was the one who posted the original "Success Story" written by Pierre Either about auditing his pc, <>, without <>'s approval.

So the moderator, being a freezoner, wanted to cover all of this up.

It's important for everybody to know that things like this go on in the freezone.

So I refused to be censored on this point.

And will so refuse again.

Huh? What are you talking about? Div6 started that other thread....:confused2: Geez, talk about conspiracy theories!

Last edited by a moderator:

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I understand that it is hard to find moderators. I also understand that it is a shitty job.

But in this case, I chose to defy the censorship of the moderator.

And I would again.

Sorry.

In my opinion, the post should never have been censored in the first place.

It was that mistake by the moderator which caused all these problems.

Why was it a mistake? The rules here are interpretive, not absolute. There is no ESMB that everyone will like 100% of the time. Censorship of mud slinging seems to make sense, since where invective replaces reasoned communication, reasoning goes out the window.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
ESMB is a moderated board. If a moderator says no, that's the way it is. Take it up with the moderator privately or the board owner. To fight in public with the moderator is just being a spoiled child.

I don't crap in someone's front room, Alanzo. It's bad manners. If you can't restrain yourself from flouting the board's rules go crap elsewhere.

No smiley.

Paul

Pixie

Crusader
Last opinion; I thought it ill-advised of Thor to word his ban as if it were an "ethics order" (or non-enturb, or expulsion order) ... intentional or unintentional "restim" for ex-scientologists? I.E. "His only terminal is ...." Oooh. Bad, bad....."[/B] :no: Oooh. Bad, bad.

:omg: This has just explained volumes for me. Thank you Paradox, you've done it again! :clap: :clap: Now I can understand why I went a little mad! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.