Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Re: Going Clear Wins Emmy

hqdefault.jpg

"...so you are saying that a documentary about Scientology
that wins an Emmy Award is not a good thing? "

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron

Here in the UK, Going Clear is being shown on TV for the first time on the Sky Atlantic channel at 9pm on September 21st.:buzzin:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

Courtesy The Wrong Guy on WWP.

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/alex-gibney-going-clear.121403/page-38#post-2555729

‘Going Clear’ wins Outstanding Documentary Emmy, also for writing, directing

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, September 12, 2015

It’s a win! ‘Going Clear’ wins best documentary.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/09/12/go...four-kurt-cobain-the-jinx-in-the-emmys-today/

Scientology Probe ‘Going Clear’ Wins Emmy For Best Documentary – Creative Arts Awards | Deadline

The TV Academy gave a show of support to HBO’s controversial Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, naming it best documentary or nonfiction special.

“This is a great honor,” said director Alex Gibney in picking up the statuette, adding the project would not have possible without the “courageous support” of HBO execs. He also paid tribute to the “courage of witnesses who stood up against… the human rights abuses.”

Gibney’s adaptation of Lawrence Wright’s similarly named Pulitzer Prize-winning book, looks at the inner workings of the multi-billion dollar organization, using archival footage and interviews with former members. Scientology had launched a major attack on the project, that details the origins of Scientology and its creator/science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, ahead of its HBO debut, challenging the reliability of former members who’d been interviewed by Gibney, including Haul Haggis, who practiced Scientology for more than three decades, exiting in 2009. Scientology’s close ties to the Hollywood community had been expected by some to work against the project at Emmy time.

Source:
http://deadline.com/2015/09/going-clear-emmy-winner-scientology-documentary-1201522368/

*********************************************************************************************

2015 Creative Arts Emmys: Winners List | Variety

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR NONFICTION PROGRAMMING

(WINNER) Alex Gibney for “Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief” from HBO, HBO Documentary Films in association with Sky Atlantic and Jigsaw Productions

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR NONFICTION PROGRAMMING

(WINNER) Alex Gibney for “Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief” from HBO, HBO Documentary Films in association with Sky Atlantic and Jigsaw Productions

DOCUMENTARY OR NONFICTION SPECIAL

(WINNER) “Going Clear: Scientology And The Prison Of Belief”

http://variety.com/2015/music/news/creative-arts-emmys-2015-winners-list-nominees-1201592186/

*****************************************************************************************************

Amy Scobee ‏@AmyScobee 14 minutes ago
Wow - 3 Emmys #GoingClear Best doc, writing, directing. Awesome & Congrats! @alexgibneyfilm, @lawrence_wright

Jamie DeWolf ‏@JamieDeWolf 2 minutes ago
Going Clear just WON the Emmy! Congrats @lawrence_wright and @alexgibneyfilm and those who refused to be silenced. Shots fired!

******************************************************************************************************************

Dibythesea ‏@dibythesea1 22 minutes ago
Wow! #Going Clear wins 3 Emmys tonight! @alexgibneyfilm @lawrence_wright.
@Scientology so much for "provable bullsh!t"

Mark Ebner ‏@MarkEbner59 8 minutes ago Pasadena, CA
@alexgibneyfilm's #GoingClear bags the #documentary #Emmy.
Suck it, cult.

ShoopZ ‏@Sh00pZ 3 minutes ago
Academy of Television Arts and Sciences says "FUCK YOU #SCIENTOLOGY"
#GoingClear wins #Emmy for best documentary.

‘Going Clear’ Director on Scientology, Tom Cruise, and Emmys | Variety

“There’s a lot more material already that I’ve received and a lot more information to come out,” he told reporters backstage after his multiple wins. “And at least so far, the IRS has not revoked (the church’s) tax exemption. So there’s more to be done.”

https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/going-clear-alex-gibney-scientology-hbo-emmys-1201592323/

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
A win for the good guys and a total failure for scio. All of the OT VIII's, those Homo Novi who are 'total cause of MEST objectively and subjectively', could not 'postulate' the documentary from being shown.

The 'gains' and 'abilities' recorded in all of the success stories only exist in the scio bubble...a fact that is so hard to swallow it keeps people in for years.

Congratulations to Alex Gibney.

Lone Star

Crusader

www.variety.com/2015/tv/news/going-clear-alex-gibney-scientology-hbo-emmys-1201592323/

A sequel in the works?

Now that's what I call unprecedented orders of magnitude straight up and vertical expansion on this planet!

Yes Mr. Gibney has said that he already has so much leftover footage in the can that he could easily make a sequel with some additional new footage of course.

I really do hand it to him....he seems to be as upset as I am that the cult so far hasn't been impacted by the film as much as he had hoped. He was especially perturbed that Tom Cruise had such an easy time of promoting his movie over the summer. He took the "interview industry" to task for only throwing softball questions at him.

I get the feeling that Alex Gibney wanted this film to really DO something. Of course he's happy for the Emmy, but I think getting the award was on the backburner while making this film. He really despises DM and the cult apparatus. I think we'll be hearing more from him.

Yes Mr. Gibney has said that he already has so much leftover footage in the can that he could easily make a sequel with some additional new footage of course.

I really do hand it to him....he seems to be as upset as I am that the cult so far hasn't been impacted by the film as much as he had hoped. He was especially perturbed that Tom Cruise had such an easy time of promoting his movie over the summer. He took the "interview industry" to task for only throwing softball questions at him.

I get the feeling that Alex Gibney wanted this film to really DO something. Of course he's happy for the Emmy, but I think getting the award was on the backburner while making this film. He really despises DM and the cult apparatus. I think we'll be hearing more from him.

How can anyone know how much the cult has been impacted?
Hollywood has been impacted for sure ---proven by winning the Emmy's,
and Scientology's grip on Hollywood is probably over now, although we will have the pleasure of seeing Hollywood scientology being chopped up and feed to us for a while yet. As far as the battle for Hollywood goes in the bigger battle against the CoS, I'd say Scientology just took a massive loss which will impact a lot of people in their daily lives.

Last edited:

prosecco

Patron Meritorious

How can anyone know how much the cult has been impacted?
Hollywood has been impacted for sure ---proven by winning the Emmy's,
and Scientology's grip on Hollywood is probably over now, although we will have the pleasure of seeing Hollywood scientology being chopped up and feed to us for a while yet. As far as the battle for Hollywood goes in the bigger battle against the CoS, I'd Scientology just took a massive loss which will impact a lot of people in their daily lives.

The biggest impact is that the film was made at all, as am sure there were lots of films that didn't get made due to people unwilling to challenge the C of S and the reputation of being highly litigious.

JustSheila

Crusader
Respect for Hollywood! :clap: :clap: :clap:

No amount of slander or libel or backroom influences had any effect on this decision. If I'd never been in Scio, I would have voted the same. The film didn't have any fancy visuals, though the way all the clips were integrated was pure art. The sound dubs and overdubs were cool, too, and assisted the film to say so much in such little time. Those deserved nominations, but I can see how some of the other films would win in those categories.

Oh, btw, this means my 2015 prediction came true! :coolwink: And now that "Going Clear" has won three Emmys, the next prediction can happen: it gets translated into hundreds of languages and distributed around the world. All these movie theatres and industries buy the films that win Emmys, and general public rent them quickly. Let's get it translated and distributed now! Alex Gibney, what are you waiting for? :biggrin:

We definitely need more films. The Scn team and FreeDumb will be out in force to help with advertising, conflict and to prove our points. That is so cool, they really made this film a household word and spent millions to get it known.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

There still remains one other thing that is a surefire way of getting a person off Dr. Hubbard's "bridge", in addition to the documentary "GOING CLEAR".

That is, if the person actually GOES CLEAR.

Guaranteed, given enough time after that, they will blow.

So, now we have two absolutely brilliant ways of getting people out of Scn.

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron
mutual friend said - J. Beghe thinks T.Ortega is bad. I did not believe it,until today.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
" Going Clear " opened a large can of WhupAss on the cult.

Love it ! Love it ! Love it !

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

OK, I'll say it.
One down and one to go.

Next come the Oscars.
The stakes are high.
From Taiwan to Nepal, from Los Angeles to Clearwater, a world-wide audience watches and waits.

In the Hollywood audience:

Alex Gibney and Lawrence Wright

Tony Ortega

Paul Haggis

John Travolta*

Spanky Taylor

Marty Rathbun

Tom Cruise*

Mike Rinder

Jason Beghe

Tory Christman

Tom DeVocht

Sara Goldberg

Hana Eltringham Whitfield

and a supporting cast of thousands.

*(would not consent to be interviewed for Going Clear)

And the Oscar goes to...

...ALEX GIBNEY!

(Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC

East Grinstead Online: Gibney Gets Emmy for Scientology documentary

http://bluebelldigital.co.uk/eastgr...gibney-gets-emmy-for-scientology-documentary/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Quoting a prepared statement in relation to the documentary, Graeme Wilson, the PR for Saint Hill said:

“The Church has documented evidence that those featured in Gibney’s Going Clear film regurgitating their stale, discredited allegations are admitted perjurers, admitted liars and professional anti-Scientologists whose living depends on the filing of false claims.”

The statement ends with Scientology’s claim that “millions of parishioners worldwide” who represent the organisation worldwide were “intentionally ignored” in the making of the programme.

Other sources put global membership of Scientology at around 25,000.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *