What's new

Buying Scientology Items

Babel Fish

Patron
I have a sign that was in front of a cult bunker. It is not a stolen item, it was taken from a scrap pile when the site closed, and it was made available to me. It's heavy, solid wood. You could make it into a bench for your garden.

haha, that sounds extremely compelling, but also like shipping would be a nightmare. :p

I'd love to see a picture of it if you have one though. :)

Jump

Operating teatime

Soon these will be $2 apiece at your nearest op-shop. They would make a nice hatstand...

hubteeth_zpsxluaspzb.jpg

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Probably.

Do you think that's a bad thing? This kind of stuff gives you a tangible connection to history. To those who weren't involved, it makes things that seem foreign and unreal feel real. It reminds you of how carried away people can get.

Regardless of whether the Scientology reformation picks up the pieces and continues after the organization collapses, I think it's important for people who weren't directly involved to study and learn from Scientology long after it dies.

I am envisioning something between a Wax Museum of Horrors and The Roswell UFO Museum..... on Hollywood Blvd.

if they had an LRH version of Laughing Sal I'd go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHzcfkBlhk

JustSheila

Crusader
Probably.

Do you think that's a bad thing? This kind of stuff gives you a tangible connection to history. To those who weren't involved, it makes things that seem foreign and unreal feel real. It reminds you of how carried away people can get.

Regardless of whether the Scientology reformation picks up the pieces and continues after the organization collapses, I think it's important for people who weren't directly involved to study and learn from Scientology long after it dies.

I've bolded certain statements.

There is a huge difference between WWII memorabilia and the tiny trinkets of a ridiculous cult based on ... nothing.

Something really happened in WWII. Something that affected the world in a monstrous way and forever changed it.

Scientology never even changed a square mile of the complex around it. Not even a ding. Nothing.

It had no impact on society, local culture, values or even language. Nada. Zilch. It was and is a con based on nothing but lies. Any tidbits of truth in it are stolen from elsewhere, where the genuine knowledge is available without the bullshit spin L Ron put on it.

Scientology created a lot of angry exes, though. When others became aware of the con, a huge number of people and media groups sought to expose it and stop its abuses.

It wasn't the first cult or con. It's not a landmark or anything like that. The only cult landmark going on in the 21st century worthy of trinkets is the huge effort to expose and stop all cults of any kind. That effort has gained so much ground, that it is exposing every little nook and cranny of cult abuse and arming people against their tactics with genuine knowledge.

That knowledge is valuable.

Trinkets to represent the exposing of cults might be valuable someday. Nothing of scientology ever will, though.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
:laugh: :thumbsup:

A museum of scientology and other cult horrors would be so COOL!

Yes. My mind was swimming with ideas for dioramas and interactive displays after this post.

Your comments about how Scientology is not collectible worthy are "spot on" yuk, yuk. Who cares about this junk except us and someone like Stephen Kent. Its all just expensive landfill and the real estate will be torn down or reabsorbed without a second thought.

I have a very large collection of pre-80s bookstore material but I only keep it as a potential reference in discussing its harmful effects and constantly wonder if its worth the space. Before I die it will be tossed in the trash and select items passed on to someone like Stephen. I don't want it migrating back into circulation through eBay or a garage sale.

This isn't an original stock from the Salem Witch Trials or manuscript of Mein Kampf.

The Roy Rogers Museum closed after 42 years and it was much more important, beneficial and popular than Scientology.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Well, I've got a solid silver Clear bracelet I no longer need. You can make me an offer if you like. :biggrin:

Uh, have your scn " jewelry " checked for ACTUAL content as there is a slim to none chance of any " solid silver " items from them.

What they marked 14 K gold tests at 10 K - screwing people over is ingrained in all their dealing !

Nothing in scn is as claimed !

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
I'm not an ex Scientologist, but I was raised in a very fundamentalist religious environment, so I identify with a lot of what former members experienced (though their experience is almost always a more extreme version of mine). I've spent hundreds of hours in the past few months researching Scientology and trying to understand it, and I have a tendency to want to collect stuff related to things that I'm interested in.

It's surprisingly hard to find any standard issue official Scientology items anywhere on the internet (other than books, pamphlets, tapes, etc.). I read a news article that Ebay gives in to the pressure of Scientology lawyers and cracks down on a lot of Scientology stuff that goes up. I don't know how much this contributes to the lack of Scientology stuff online, maybe there's just not much of it out there.

Is anyone here aware of any sites where I might have better luck buying official, non-book Scientology stuff? Google is seriously a wasteland.

Keep checking the dumpster behind your local library. The cult loves to have people buy a set of books at retail to 'donate' to a library.

Problem is, libraries do not want books they have NO DEMAND - so they libraries dump the unopened boxes of scn crapola straight into the dumpster.

On ebay look for auctions for the INSTRUCTION MANUAL for an emeter at way more than a manual could bring. Contact the seller as most likely the meter is included & the OSA lawyers can stop a book / manual from being sold but they will get ebay to pull a meter.

That really works - uh, somebody told me about that :coolwink:

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
lol.

A Hubbtard animatronix statue that says..... "guhlaxy"

The potential is endless but the animatronic would be almost obligated to tell the Xenu origin mythology.

The Liberace concept would go over well in Hollywood but the Cowboy outfit would lend a subdued campiness to the whole thing. I'd have to go with the full dress Sea Org uniform for authenticity and being in-character.

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
The potential is endless but the animatronic would be almost obligated to tell the Xenu origin mythology.

The Liberace concept would go over well in Hollywood but the Cowboy outfit would lend a subdued campiness to the whole thing. I'd have to go with the full dress Sea Org uniform for authenticity and being in-character.

so what gets sold ?

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
so what gets sold ?

I guess I'm coming at this from the standpoint of who would want to buy Scientology artifacts. Collectors become collectors because of some specialized interest, fascination or obsession or as an investment. It is best to work on a collection before it becomes recognized as collectible and before most of it is gone, so to be fair maybe someone with vision that I don't have should be on a buying spree. The old members who have the good stuff are passing now and the people conducting those estate sales may not know what they got.

A museum, archive or road-side type attraction could engage in sale and resale of authentic or peripheral material even if it was LRH bobble-heads or LRH Halloween props.

There could be a legitimate market for original books, tapes, CDs or docs for a lot of reasons but openly selling or distributing copies of copyrighted material could be a problem. In all seriousness, I would like to see unique Scientology docs consolidated in a secure archive which is dedicated to anti-cult research instead of floating around a collector's market where they can eventually be lost or reacquired by OSA.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
This replica Beret and vinyl jacket evoking the mystery and intrigue of LRH au cours de la résistance.

View attachment 12457

Lolol, I highly doubt ol' mother Hubert ever had shit made out of synthetics, he may have had the taste of a newly riche dilettante, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it was all made of quality materials. This apparently did not help his own case, nor did it develop any sense of style, I especially love his western act, the 'director' schtick was pretty lutzy too, but man, he were a cowboy-at-heart! He came from an era of 'clothes make the man', ya know, 30's-40's suits and ties, opulent dress that shows 'social status' and all that crap, the problem being that that part of his wee brain-pan, was it seems, generally 20-30 years out of date (or more).
What always sort of surprised me was that, given all his 'past-life' experience around the 'galux-y', he didn't become a fashion designer, hey, since he'd claimed to be Cecil Rhodes (lolol, gay as a happy parteh goer in 1840) in a past life, he just used old stuff. Despite all this, I do believe he okayed his CM's mini-skirts and tit-fitting outfits for his own viewing pleasures... Yup, the taste of a lump of dried lard, expect no less from the rest :p

:p

:biggrin:

Last edited: