What's new

Scientology Exec Jennifer Watari sends letter to intimidate ESMB poster, FAILS.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
There's an incredible story at the Underground Bunker today.

After watching Going Clear, I joined ESMB. I felt really empowered to finally start to question the religion I was raised in. I’m a truth seeker by nature, but my past was never a truth I cared to dig up. I was born in Scientology. Both of my parents raised me in it. I was in the Sea Org from 11 to 16. I just wanted to be a normal teen when I left the Sea Org. I still believed in Scientology being a religion until a series of horrifically unfortunate events that occurred post-Sea Org had me changing my mind about Scientology. I just began to sweep everything under the rug regarding Scientology for many years, like a skeleton in the closet. I made plenty of wog friends and grew up without Scientology.

Until I watched Going Clear. That documentary was a huge eye opener for me. I finally had the freedom to start questioning my past. I finally told my husband of eight years, who was never in, that I used to be in the Sea Org and that I was raised in Scientology. It’s like old emotions just started to swell in me when I realized what I had been a part of, and the depths of brainwashing that I had encountered. I told him that I never attended a real high school, and the “GED” [high school equivalency certificate] I was given at 12 years old was fake, from a Scientology front called Dennison Academy. I poured my heart out to him. I was told by the Church never to look online for any news or any story unless it was “source” — meaning their own websites or social media. But after Going Clear, I finally did and I’m glad I did. I started posting on ESMB. I received a friendly warning not to reveal too much, having been a second generation Scientologist, or else OSA [Scientology’s Office of Special Affairs] would figure out who I was. I guess that warning was right.

I started receiving two to three calls per day after I began posting on ESMB regularly. I hadn’t alluded to any personal information and had intended on remaining anonymous, but that didn’t stop OSA. They’re relentless. Because of the intimidating phone calls, I stopped posting on ESMB. My husband had a gut feeling they’d find out where we lived. However, I tried to reassure him that I wasn’t affiliated with the church and that I wasn’t the type of “public to be reg’d,” so why would they want to find me? I have my own reasons for wanting to remain anonymous — family still in. Then I received this piece of mail with my married last name and new home address. They had tracked me down.

Click here to read the letter from the CoS and Tony's full story on it.

My jaw dropped reading the letter from the cult. They are really getting scary and desperate. I'm shocked they actually put it on letterhead and signed it, I figured that it would have come as an "anonymous" letter or maybe from a lawyer - but not even the cult could even make up any legal action to try and threaten her with.

I think quite a few will remember this person's post, I know I did. She gave just a brief sketch of her past with the CoS, some connection to SO and was second generation. I remember getting irritated by the posters who immediately jumped in to warn her not to post any identifying details because of OSA monitoring. I didn't think her OP was that detailed (I might have read it after a edit) but I thought all the warnings would scare her off from posting here. Well, sadly the warnings were spot on.

She didn't continue to post here after she started getting phone calls from the cult. I hope she comes back, even if it's under a new name and anonymously.

Anyone here remember or know the lovely Jennifer Watari? Sounds like a south pacific type name, but I have no idea. I would bet she's a 2nd generation herself. Wonder how she feels devoting her life to a religion that likes to threaten former members. I wonder if this going public will result in an RPF stint? Shit kind of backfired in a big way and the cult actually sending this type of message on letterhead is a throwback to their old tactics when they didn't have to live in fear of the internet showing the whole world.

Last edited:

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Re: Scientology Exec sends letter to intimidate ESMB poster, FAILS.

Anyone here remember or know the lovely Jennifer Watari?

I don't know where she originally came from, but she was pretty new on staff when I left PAC. She's not Asian; looks Irish. She married Lon Watari, who is from Hawaii.

I'm surprised the two of them are still SO, and surprised they're still together, frankly.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron

There's an incredible story at the Underground Bunker today.

Click here to read the letter from the CoS and Tony's full story on it.

My jaw dropped reading the letter from the cult. They are really getting scary and desperate. I'm shocked they actually put it on letterhead and signed it, I figured that it would have come as an "anonymous" letter or maybe from a lawyer - but not even the cult could even make up any legal action to try and threaten her with.

I think quite a few will remember this person's post, I know I did. She gave just a brief sketch of her past with the CoS, some connection to SO and was second generation. I remember getting irritated by the posters who immediately jumped in to warn her not to post any identifying details because of OSA monitoring. I didn't think her OP was that detailed (I might have read it after a edit) but I thought all the warnings would scare her off from posting here. Well, sadly the warnings were spot on.

She didn't continue to post here after she started getting phone calls from the cult. I hope she comes back, even if it's under a new name and anonymously.

Anyone here remember or know the lovely Jennifer Watari? Sounds like a south pacific type name, but I have no idea. I would bet she's a 2nd generation herself. Wonder how she feels devoting her life to a religion that likes to threaten former members. I wonder if this going public will result in an RPF stint? Shit kind of backfired in a big way and the cult actually sending this type of message on letterhead is a throwback to their old tactics when they didn't have to live in fear of the internet showing the whole world.

I remember that. I hope she/he is OK.

What a creepy letter.

Maybe after a spell, our quick visiting friend might come back under a new and different username and post nothing personal.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

I wonder if this going public will result in an RPF stint? Shit kind of backfired in a big way and the cult actually sending this type of message on letterhead is a throwback to their old tactics when they didn't have to live in fear of the internet showing the whole world.

I wouldn't doubt it. That's what happened to Elaine Seigal after her infamous note to "drown the internet with theta" or some such bullshit surfaced on ARS. She was on the RPF for a long time after that.

It does suck for these staff because it's not like they go ahead and do this stuff and no one knows about it. They are following some kind of order or orders from someone. But they wind up taking the fall when things go public.

That letter was incredibly creepy and I can understand it freaking that poor girl out. But she did totally the right thing by sending it to Tony and making it public.

It actually reminds me of Katie Holmes' handling leaving Cruise. Making it all so public, constantly being in front of the paparazzi. The constant exposure is what made her safe.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

It could be that people are reading more into this than is really there. What organization is the letter from, with that GAK letterhead? Is it this Dennison Academy or something else?

I was a Letter Reg at Saint Hill for three years. A central part of Hubbard's "Letter Writing Tech" is to look over the person's Central Files folder (or equivalent) and ask whatever comes to mind, whatever (genuinely) interests you about the person. It could be that this is something like that.

Maybe it is as creepy as some people think, but maybe it isn't.

Paul

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

It could be that people are reading more into this than is really there. What organization is the letter from, with that GAK letterhead? Is it this Dennison Academy or something else?

I was a Letter Reg at Saint Hill for three years. A central part of Hubbard's "Letter Writing Tech" is to look over the person's Central Files folder (or equivalent) and ask whatever comes to mind, whatever (genuinely) interests you about the person. It could be that this is something like that.

Paul

Come on, Paul. It's creepy as hell.

And you must remember Jennifer Watari. Lon Watari married her in early 1996, I think. Kind of small girl, long brown hair, freckles? She was CLO staff at the time. I saw some mention of Lon a week or so ago and he's still in the SO. Jennifer still has his last name; I would assume they're still together.

Plus, she said that she had gotten threatening phone calls from OSA.

Also, Tony's article says: "And then, from its “Golden Age of Knowledge Center” on L. Ron Hubbard Way in Los Angeles, it had sent this one-line letter…" Doesn't say what org, but it's obviously PAC.

No. This isn't a letter reg letter. It may be that someone that knew her knew how to "push her buttons". Hell, maybe Jennifer knew her personally and is speaking from personal knowledge.

Whatever it is, it's not an attempt to "get in comm."

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Paul

That was my first thought too ... those one liner letters were meant to impinge and solicit a response (any response) and were usually phrased as a question.

It's definitely a weird and creepy letter but no weirder than 1000's of others bashed out over the years.

:yes:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

I hope no-one thinks this only happens on ESMB, it can happen anywhere one posts on the net, from The Bunker to Facebook, blogs, articles etc. Many members here do try and give warnings about anonymity, simply from experience.

It's also not because OSA is some all powerful, all-seeing entity either. It's just that if you are of interest for any reason (these days mostly family connections) then they note details like puzzle pieces. I pity the people who do this job, thinking they are saving the effing planet.

I'm glad she has gone public with this despicable intimidation attempt.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

And you must remember Jennifer Watari. Lon Watari married her in early 1996, I think. Kind of small girl, long brown hair, freckles? She was CLO staff at the time. I saw some mention of Lon a week or so ago and he's still in the SO. Jennifer still has his last name; I would assume they're still together.

Also, Tony's article says: "And then, from its “Golden Age of Knowledge Center” on L. Ron Hubbard Way in Los Angeles, it had sent this one-line letter…" Doesn't say what org, but it's obviously PAC.

No. This isn't a letter reg letter. It may be that someone that knew her knew how to "push her buttons". Hell, maybe Jennifer knew her personally and is speaking from personal knowledge.

I might remember her by sight, but not by name. I had very little interaction with the CLO, or the other orgs in PAC, just saw people walking around.

I forgot about the phone calls. Yeah, that's creepy. I'd like to see the whole letterhead though: it matters!

Paul

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron

I might remember her by sight, but not by name. I had very little interaction with the CLO, or the other orgs in PAC, just saw people walking around.

I forgot about the phone calls. Yeah, that's creepy. I'd like to see the whole letterhead though: it matters!

Paul

GoldenAgeLetterA-e1467792558753.jpg

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron

Funny, now that I'm looking at it again, I can kind of see Paul's point.

It could kind of feasibly one of those "handle your ruin" letter reg letters.

But I really don't think so.

It would be ironic, however, if, after all this horrible PR, that that's all it was.

They send out random one liners to people like that?!
:omg:

The cult. Always, always worse than you think.
I think I am more shocked that exes believe that this could be normal non-sinister mail, when the music from Psycho was playing in my head when I read it.

Gib

Crusader

Paul

I too wrote hundreds of letters like this. One has to remember the present big marketing scheme by the cult is to redo the purif and then redo objectives now packaged as the survival rundown. I read the marketing series and one of the things Hubbard said was "to impinge" although "letters out" was to be personal but I always used the letters as a marketing vehicle, I always included a flyer to buy some book in the hopes somebody would and I'd make a book commission.

If the present big marketing push was something like The New Golden Age of KTL, why the letter would probably say something like Are you really in communication with the world?

Regards the phone calls, we really don't know what type of calls they were. Were they really intimidating or just calls to get in comm?

I wonder if the one line letter received had a flyer in it for the purif?

A few years back they were on a jag to track down all the former public and get them recovered. I think this is simply that. She is reading way too much into it. When you are a letter reg and you have an ungodly quota of letters to get out, you just bang shit out like this in a constant power flow. I would say this has zero chance it's an OSA ploy, but look on the bright side - she will get dead filed for sharing it with Tony.

:yes:

Mimsey

tmangrove

Patron

So this is what they mean by "communicating freely with anyone, on any subject", huh? Wow! Scientology is brilliant! :duh:

Adam7986

Declared SP

Paul

That's exactly what I commented on the article. I was a letter reg and assistant reg for a little over a year and I wrote letters like this more than once. It's certainly creepy, but far from malicious or an intimidation tactic. I think that Scientology just happened to be updating their address lists through their subscription services just as this poor lady started posting here and she connected two dots that are in different drawing books.

[FONT=&amp]Jennifer Watari's linked in says she is the "Executive Director" of a Church of Scientology. If I am being honest, I don't think that this is OSA letting her know that she is being watched. I think that this is just one of those creepy letters that the Church sends out trying to elicit a response or get someone to buy something or come into the organization. It's a routine affair and an attempt to boost a stat called "letters out".

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The Church subscribes to several services that they use to constantly update addresses and phone numbers for people. I think the fact that this person was posting on ESMB and the Church caught up with her address were coincidental. If they were going to do anything, they would have sent her a notice that she had been declared an enemy. Had they caught up with the fact that she was this person posting on ESMB, she would not have received a letter like this because her name and address would be "dead filed".
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Please note that I am, in no way defending the cult or denying that they do follow, harass and intimidate people. Just saying that in this case, that does not appear to be what has happened. This "Jennifer Watari" person probably sent 30 letters that said the same thing or a variation of it.[/FONT]

Adam7986

Declared SP

You're talking about a different Lon. I was talking about Lon K. He is the Snr I&R at CLO WUS, or at least was when he declared me. We are the same age, or just about. He would've been around 6 years old in 1992.

As far as the letter. Look at it objectively out of context. It is a basic form letter that could identify with a large population of people in the United States, and really if you're a Scientologist you are assuming anyone who isn't a Scientologist is drinking or doing some kind of drugs to "solve their problems". OSA would have made a far more personal and effective attack on this person if the objective was to intimidate. There isn't anything about this letter that is intimidating or harassing, it's just overly personal and creepy.

The circumstances surrounding her receipt of the letter is why the person who is the subject of this article felt she was being personally targeted, and understandably so.

Adam7986

Declared SP

I forgot about the phone calls.

Regarding the phone calls, there is no information in Tony's article as to who they were from or what the content of the conversation was. There have been a lot of reports of active Scientologists reaching out to those who have fallen off lines, trying to flush the detractors out by pretending that they are disaffected. That could have been what was happening on the phone calls. But again they are probably not connected to the letter or the postings on ESMB. Just part of Scientology's tactics to plug leaks.

Adam7986

Declared SP

They send out random one liners to people like that?!
:omg:

The cult. Always, always worse than you think.
I think I am more shocked that exes believe that this could be normal non-sinister mail, when the music from Psycho was playing in my head when I read it.

I have written letters like this about drugs and alcohol. :biggrin: I hope none of my letters from the early 2000s get out. :duh::lol::roflmao::screwy: