What's new

Dean Wilbur Rhetoric Hubbard dianetics sicientology

Gib

Crusader
Hubbard's Rhetoric (ethos, pathos and ethos) to persuade one to get into his scientology game and keep one there repeats itself from the beginning of Dianetics where he and Campbell proclaim dianetics is greater than the invention of the wheel or fire, also elsewhere thru out his lectures and writings thru the years and history.

Here is Hubbard repeating himself, as authority on the mind

From Mike Rinder blog quoting the HCOB, or Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-and-psychosis-the-aftermath/

"[FONT=&amp]I have made a technical breakthrough which possibly ranks with the major discoveries of the Twentieth Century. It is certainly the greatest advancement of 1973 and is now being released after a final wrap-up of research. It is called the Introspection Rundown."[/FONT]

Last edited:

Jump

Operating teatime
Hubbard's Rhetoric (ethos, pathos and ethos) to persuade one to get into his scientology game and keep one there repeats itself from the beginning of Dianetics where he and Campbell proclaim dianetics is greater than the invention of the wheel or fire, also elsewhere thru out his lectures and writings thru the years and history.

Here is Hubbard repeating himself, as authority on the mind

From Mike Rinder blog quoting the HCOB, or Hubbard Communication Office Bulletin:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/scientology-and-psychosis-the-aftermath/

"[FONT=&amp]I have made a technical breakthrough which possibly ranks with the major discoveries of the Twentieth Century. It is certainly the greatest advancement of 1973 and is now being released after a final wrap-up of research. It is called the Introspection Rundown."[/FONT]

If you have Hubbard's full write-up of the IR I'm sure there was a paragraph outlining how sometimes people couldn't be kept alive (In the wog-world I think it's called 2nd degree murder).

That section needs more airplay.

Jump

Operating teatime

I found this IR quote on Stephen Kent's excellent website:

“(b)ut there will always be some failures as the insane sometimes withdraw into rigid unawareness as a final defense, sometimes can’t be kept alive and sometimes are too hectic and distraught to ever be quiet” (Hubbard, 1965: 4).

Hubbard knew of deaths and expected more deaths.

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
There are a couple of letters that caught my attention. There is one letter dated Mar 26, 1949 from Heinlein to Hubbard and said:

Hubbard replies back in a letter dated Mar 31, 1949. It's a long type written letter of 7 pages. The beginning is some chit chat, and then Hubbard writes this:

Hubbard also capitalized all the book titles in his letter to highlight them to Heinlein. The rest of the letter Hubbard then goes into explaining dianetics and it's actually the same generalized sales pitch we have all read. No specifics per se, but it sounds like there are.

Hi Gib,

Hubbard identified what he said was the source for his education on the "agent provocateur" in a 1951 lecture:

L. Ron Hubbard said:
THE COMPLETE AUDITOR PART II
A lecture given on 28 June 1951

Safeguarding Dianetics

[...]

The United States Navy was very nice to me in 1941; they gave me an education in naval intelligence. It included a course on how to be an agent provocateur—the boy who causes unrest and trouble within the group that his forces are attacking. There are two sides to sabotage: one is the agent saboteur and the other is the agent provocateur. The modus operandi of sabotage and provocation are very simple ones.

Gib

Crusader

further expanding what Caroline quoted above from hubbard, the next paragraph is :
"The United States Navy was very nice to me in 1941; they gave me an education in navalintelligence. It included a course on how to be an agent provocateur—the boy who causesunrest and trouble within the group that his forces are attacking. There are two sides tosabotage: one is the agent saboteur and the other is the agent provocateur. The modus operandiof sabotage and provocation are very simple ones.

Dianetics has a great many friends and it has a few small, measly and unimportant enemies.Nevertheless, it is a very dull fellow who neglects all of his enemies. We have just beenthrough the sawmill, through the public presses. Nobody need convince me further thatDianetics has enemies of such a low altitude that human liberty and the right to think in thesociety are nothing. I don’t care to get off on this line very far, but let me assure you the attacks made were completely unfounded on anything even faintly resembling truth."

so what this tells me looking thru the lens of rhetoric, hubbard implies the government is using agent provocateur and agent sabotage to stop dianetics, and yet hubbard uses the same technigues later on fully with his pts/sp/GO tech. ( in one of the Campbell/Heinlein letters in 1949 Campbell tells Heinlein about how the government is trying to stop Dianetics).

The last line in red is of course complete bullshit as hubbard just wrote a book where he supposedly cleared 270 people, and he never did, he lied his ass off from the get go.

Further along in hubbard's speech he speaks this:

"You will also find that people will fixate on a cure. They know something is wrong, and then somebody comes along and describes this new disease called “bettahugen.” “Bettahugen is aterrible disease that invisibly attacks the cranial clavichord.” And the fellow says, “That must be me!” He knows something is wrong but he can’t locate the real source of danger as far as he is concerned, so he picks one up; this is the danger. First you sell him the disease and then you sell him the cure."

Sounds familiar, first you sell him the idea of "clear" and what a "clear" can do, and then you sell him the cure, the glorious state of "clear" thru dianetics auditing and then scientology auditing. The very last sentence of dianetics is "better build a bridge"

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
I like this write-up of rhetoric:

http://artsofliberty.org/aristotles-rhetoric-everybody-chapter-four

The first line:

" According to Aristotle, “Rhetoric may be defined as the faculty of observing in any given case the available means of persuasion” "

several lines into the article, we use rhetoric whether we realize it or not:

" Rhetoric is usually defined as an art of persuasion. What makes Aristotle’s definition even better is that he realizes 1) that it is innate to human beings, which is why we all have a faculty for it, 2) that it is an art of discovery, and 3) that it operates in contingent circumstances."

Further on,

" In each, we appeal to reason, character and emotion."

or logos, ethos and pathos.

Me thinks Hubbard used this, our own faculty, to become scientologists.

With the advent of the telephone, radio, newspapers, the internet, instant communications, why I'm sure everybody has realized the first line above. Whether they realize they are using rhetoric or not is not sure, but those that realize they can use rhetoric can perssuade. It's innate and yet a catch 22.

Gib

Crusader
Rhetoric is supposed to be used for good and not entrapping or lying about one's past accomplishments, or one's use of logic or emotions just to sell a product. It's supposed to be truthful use of rhetoric, to do good.

If you watch these you tubes, consider how Hubbard entrapped us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODwmSYb3Tw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFcCFEeOEeg

In viewing the last video near the end, it is mentioned the logical fallacy of "The Appeal to Popular Belief"

and here is scientology appeal to popular belief or success stories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=vVruyhtvvlQ

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
My cliff notes on the Culture AKA Cult of Scientology looking thru the lens of Rhetoric and Le Bon's The Crowd, the warp and woof of scientology.

Hubbard 1936 letter to Dean Wilbur
"[FONT=&amp]But I doubt in the extreme that I ever would have carried on had it not been for your very sane treatise on the world at large [/FONT][FONT=&amp]which you labeled “rhetoric” and which was nothing at all but culture[/FONT][FONT=&amp], as alone and isolated upon a regimented horizon as a steamer’s plume of smoke against the horizon." [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

"It's a PR world" - L Ron Hubbard[/FONT]

rhetoric - logos, ethos and pathos

1949 letter Hubbard response to Heinlein letter - 6 books:

"Your request for the agentes techniques recalls me that this here area is shore revolutionary, pard. They just ain't ferget noth'in about Reconstruction. Down at the library, all the way back in the vault, are four full lengths shelves of books such as THE PSYCHOLOGY OF REVOLUTION, ERRORS MADE BY ROBESPIEPE, THE POWER OF THE RABBLE, LAWS GOVERNING LEVEE EN MASSE, HOME BOMB MANUFACTURE, ASSINATION AS A POLITICAL TECHNIGUE, etc. etc. for about three hundred big, authoritative volumes. And I never before seen a single one of them."

Those 6 books parallel The Scientological Onion: http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105/

ASSINATION AS A POLITICAL TECHNIGUE = pts/sp tech, fair game, disconnection

Le Bon - Chapter III. The Leaders of Crowds and Their Means of Persuasion: 1. The Leaders of Crowds 2. The Means of Action of the Leaders: Affirmation, Repetition, Contagion. 3. Prestige.

the weenie, mystery sandwich, MacGuffin - clear, confidential OT, steps up the bridge, total freedom, power on all dynamics, cleared planet, eternity

part 2 coming up

Gib

Crusader
part 2:

Hubbards nefarious or diabolical use of rhetoric:

ethos (character, credibility, self appointed by hubbard to himself and some appointed to members) - Dr Hubbard, writer, explorers club member, Dr Hubbard, mankinds greatest friend, source, commodore, homo novus, clear, OT, your post in a org is not a job but a crusade, elite of the elite, the top 1% of the population, Sea Org and ranks, org board and so on. (Note: Hubbard gave members ethos!)

pathos (emotions) - science of survival, the chart of human evaluation, OCA personality test, tone scale, love bombing, TR's, well and happy person, wins, success stories, and so on.

logos (logic, reasoned discourse) - DMSMH, def of scientology, formula's 8-8008, 0-8, charts, graphs, FDS, emeter, etc

Hubbard's actual ethos, logos, pathos - madman or messiah, a piece of blue sky, stories told by ex members at ESMB and elsewhere.

Members actual ethos, logos & pathos the same, stories told here and elsewhere.

Le Bon:

Affirmation: success stories, floating needle, certs, clapping at a picture of LRH, clapping at events, clapping at a member success story, etc.

Repetition: number of times over equals certainty, repetitive processes, drills, drills & drills, Chinese drills, and so on.

Contagion: lies about members, lies about expansion, success stories, etc

Prestige: ties into ethos above.

Everything is interlinked, the woof and warp.

220px-Warp_and_weft.jpg

I only listed what came to mind while posting this, but there are tons more of the ethos, pathos, logos, repetition, affirmation, prestige, contagion found throughout esmb and other blogs that folks have voiced. If you wish to add please do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Last edited:

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
part 2:

Hubbards nefarious or diabolical use of rhetoric:

ethos (character, credibility, self appointed by hubbard to himself and some appointed to members) - Dr Hubbard, writer, explorers club member, Dr Hubbard, mankinds greatest friend, source, commodore, homo novus, clear, OT, your post in a org is not a job but a crusade, elite of the elite, the top 1% of the population, Sea Org and ranks, org board and so on. (Note: Hubbard gave members ethos!)

pathos (emotions) - science of survival, the chart of human evaluation, OCA personality test, tone scale, love bombing, TR's, well and happy person, wins, success stories, and so on.

logos (logic, reasoned discourse) - DMSMH, def of scientology, formula's 8-8008, 0-8, charts, graphs, FDS, emeter, etc

Hubbard's actual ethos, logos, pathos - madman or messiah, a piece of blue sky, stories told by ex members at ESMB and elsewhere.

Members actual ethos, logos & pathos the same, stories told here and elsewhere.

Le Bon:

Affirmation: success stories, floating needle, certs, clapping at a picture of LRH, clapping at events, clapping at a member success story, etc.

Repetition: number of times over equals certainty, repetitive processes, drills, drills & drills, Chinese drills, and so on.

Contagion: lies about members, lies about expansion, success stories, etc

Prestige: ties into ethos above.

Everything is interlinked, the woof and warp.

220px-Warp_and_weft.jpg

I only listed what came to mind while posting this, but there are tons more of the ethos, pathos, logos, repetition, affirmation, prestige, contagion found throughout esmb and other blogs that folks have voiced. If you wish to add please do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

Well done Gib :thumbsup: yes a woven fabric of half truths lies and indoctrination what others might call
a memeplex virus of the mind and very insiduous:yes: IMO

Gib

Crusader
Well done Gib :thumbsup: yes a woven fabric of half truths lies and indoctrination what others might call
a memeplex virus of the mind and very insiduous:yes: IMO

yep, no doubt in modern terms we was memeplexed, but still derived from Rhetoric or retermed.

What would Ron do? LOL

Gib

Crusader
Great post by John P over at Tony O blog:

http://tonyortega.org/2017/03/14/me...curious-career-as-church-rebel/#disqus_thread

"[FONT=&amp]John P. [/FONT][FONT=&amp] 16 hours ago

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In this article, Tony mentions the names of people who "declared independence" on Marty's blog throughout its life. It would be interesting to see how many of those people continue to believe in the idea of "independent Scientology," to get some sort of quantitative handle on the viability of Scientology beliefs and practices outside the highly punitive organization of the cult.

As I've said on many occasions, and as many have probably experienced directly, I think Scientology self-help "tech" is so time-consuming and ineffective that people are not likely to continue to practice it without the cult behind it. It requires all of the following to keep you engaged:

* Putting enormous sums of non-refundable money "on account" well in advance of need to give you a major case of "sunk cost bias."

* The requirement to write a success story to "prove" you got major "wins" from each course or auditing session, getting you to believe that you got value from a course.

* Expensive "repair" auditing when you didn't get a major win from a course, giving you another incentive to claim that you got value from something the first time

* Being sent to "ethics" for more expensive punitive auditing and sec checking when you have any doubts about the cult.

* A culture of secrecy where others are forbidden to talk about their experiences with "the tech" so you think you are the only ones who are not getting incredible wins from what you've spent all that money for.

I would be willing to bet that substantially less than half of the people who so proudly "declared independence" on Marty's blog are still involved in any way with Scientology practices, a clear indicator that there's no real viability for "independent Scientology."

[/FONT]

He's missing a few things from his summary. And they are right out of Le Bon's book that Hubbard read and applied:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ics-sicientology/page10&p=1059395#post1059395

Consider Affirmation. Those are success stories, the original Dianetics book had affirmation from Dr. Winter which helped to create the "books make booms" line Hubbard used later on, there are many affirmations Hubbard presents and w/o proof and Le Bon explains that as well.

Consider Repetition. Number of times over = certainty. Constant TR's are done by staff members. KSW at the beginning of every course, the quantity of letters out is what matters, not the quality, there are many more.

Consider Contagion. The two above reinforce contagion and propagate it. A perfect example is Terril Park unbeknownst to hisself.

Consider Prestige. The whole bridge to total freedom is one of prestige, status. Hubbard creates prestige from the get go in Dianetics, a clear is homo novis, and then OT is mystical being with powers, the Sea Org members are the elite of the elite, what do I think of auditors as the top smartest people on earth, on and on, Hubbard establishes Prestige along with the Affirmation, Repetition, and Contagion to create a crowd, a following, as delineated by Le Bon.

What is the IAS but promoted, and constantly promoted by DM but as Prestige.

The Freezone does not do this, hence fail. LOL and thank god, they ain't got the bucks to advertise.

If you take into account the timeline of hubbard and scientology, and the available means of persuasion during the times, why in the beginning the only available means of persuasion were letters out and phone calls, and the radio and TV began to get developed, and Jefferson Hawkins in the 1980's developed and marketed Dianetics on TV, repetition of a commercial, and books make booms is what he learned and applied and a second expansion of dianetics and scientology occurred thru that means of TV and repetition.

Gib

Crusader
Here is a Long Read, also new book coming out in 2018:

https://longreads.com/2017/02/01/xenus-paradox-the-fiction-of-l-ron-hubbard/

excerpt:

"Most had paid thousands of dollars for the privilege, which made it by far the most lucrative story Hubbard, or perhaps anyone, ever wrote—a spectacular rate for a writer who spent much of his career earning a penny per word."

And DM has made the OT3 story even more lucrative by going the route of straight donations to the IAS, Idle Orgs, Super Power Bldg, etc.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

excerpt:

"Most had paid thousands of dollars for the privilege, which made it by far the most lucrative story Hubbard, or perhaps anyone, ever wrote—a spectacular rate for a writer who spent much of his career earning a penny per word."

And DM has made the OT3 story even more lucrative by going the route of straight donations to the IAS, Idle Orgs, Super Power Bldg, etc.

I enjoyed the read. I particularly like the part about how compassionate a man hubbard was. :coolwink:

Gib

Crusader

excerpt:

thinking out loud and putting it in writing, this guy is spot on. Let me explain.

LRH had a few gigs going on with scientology, very clever of man's best friend as he said, not anybody else, LOL,

I'm thinking with Hubbard wanted to make money ( the work was free so make it so, LOL).

He managed to create a captive audience from the very beginning of the dianetics book, and he capitalized on that. (we make the able more able is the captive audience)

Ron created a few sources of income from his "words of wisdom" (or penny a word).

Get the audience or crowd or captive audience to:

1. Buy scientology books and lectures and dianetics books (books make booms is the rhetoric to persuade), ie Bridge Publications and ASI ( and collecting commissions from each book/lecture sold)

2. Collecting commissions from each org and mission franchise.

DM and his army of highly paid lawyers has took it to a another level and managed to collect IAS donations as pure donations.

Here's what interesting, no clears or OT's exist. LOL

Gib

Crusader
http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2185.htm

"[FONT=&amp]In his [/FONT]The Psychology of Crowds,[FONT=&amp] published in 1895, le Bon baptized this period [/FONT]the Era of Crowds.[FONT=&amp] When people are pulled from their rural roots and thrown into cities, the framework of traditional beliefs and social hierarchy collapses. Individuals thus become a crowd, a mass galvanized by simple ideas. Charismatic leaders, skilled at using the tools of modern public relations, played the crowd to achieve barbaric ends."

"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Le Bon was trained as a doctor, and he used medical language to portray this process. He asserted that ideas circulate in the crowd as microbes do in the human body. When absorbed by the crowd, the individual loses control of his reason, forgets his individuality and reverts to his most primitive state. Le Bon claimed that the crowd can be hypnotized to do terrible things, and terrible things it did: Mussolini and Hitler were among Le Bon's keenest students.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Where does one draw the line between observation and obsession, interpretation and invention? It's hard to say. Le Bon's work may well be the disease for which it pretends to be the cure."[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
Ever wonder why the French are against scientology as a religion, maybe Le Bon's works have something to with it? And Hubbard read Le Bon's books and implemented the ideas.

Gib

Crusader
Illusions

from Le Bon's book the crowd, which Hubbard read:

https://socserv2.socsci.mcmaster.ca/~econ/ugcm/3ll3/lebon/Crowds.pdf

"2. Illusions.

From the dawn of civilization onwards crowds have always undergone the influence of illusions. It is to the creators of illusions that they have raised more temples, statues, and altars than to any other class of men. Whether it be the religious illusions of the past or the philosophic and social illusions of the present, these formidable sovereign powers are always found at the head of all the civilizations that have successively flourished on our planet."

Now, imagine Hubbard reading that and creating dianetics and scientology, and also thinking with his affirmations, and what do you get?

Hubbard created the illusion of clear, and then OT.

DM has continued in the illusion.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/ias-freedom-medal-winners/