What's new

Remember when Cof$ started trying to keep us off the internet?

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
New blog post - a brief trip down memory lane.

People have written firsthand horror stories about what it was like inside Scientology. It’s all on the internet. And of course, Scientology doesn’t want anybody reading that stuff. I had to work up to going online at all, after so many years of indoctrination that the internet was evil.
But they shot themselves in the foot when they...

Read more at:
https://shearperfection.com/blog/scientology-internet.html

:biggrin:

CaliMule

Work Hard and Bray
New blog post - a brief trip down memory lane.

People have written firsthand horror stories about what it was like inside Scientology. It’s all on the internet. And of course, Scientology doesn’t want anybody reading that stuff. I had to work up to going online at all, after so many years of indoctrination that the internet was evil.
But they shot themselves in the foot when they...

Read more at:
https://shearperfection.com/blog/scientology-internet.html

:biggrin:

I sure do remember the roll out of that. OSA tried to handle alt.religion.scientology with the "wallpaper it over" approach, which didn't work. They tried finding the key influencers and going after them, which didn't work. ScioSitter was all they could do.

My dad was at the time debating whether to do more upper level bridge, and just how many heavy sec checks he could put up with. He was thinking of installing ScioSitter to make life easier if he wanted to do more upper bridge. Because of his "celebrity" status he could get away with a lot and still be welcome on upper levels. He didn't like getting third degree treatment in the course of that, though.

I fired up an older box, one he wasn't using on-line, installed the Sciositter under a phony name, and tried to surf the web. I showed him how he couldn't reach old friends who were now classified on the wrong side of history, couldn't read a lot of interesting scientology materials that weren't even hostile, etc. He got the point. He never installed the sitter on his on-line machine and I wiped clean the older one.

It's funny, but "celebrity" works in Scientology in mysterious ways. He could have gotten away with even more objectionable stuff and still have been welcome on upper levels if prior history was any clue, so long as he never violated the "uphill/downhill" rule. If you are Danny Masterson, you are "downhill" from Tom Cruise. This means Tom Cruise can violently butt rape Danny and at most be forced to say "sorry" for it, but if Danny were to say Cruise forcibly butt raped him, he'd be dead and gone, doomed to the worst status in Scientology possible. Masterson was "uphill" to the people he raped, though, so he is to be protected and cherished by Scientology at great cost so long as any celebrities he raped were "downhill" from him.

Lynn Fountain Campbell

Silver Meritorious Patron
It's funny, but "celebrity" works in Scientology in mysterious ways. He could have gotten away with even more objectionable stuff and still have been welcome on upper levels if prior history was any clue, so long as he never violated the "uphill/downhill" rule. If you are Danny Masterson, you are "downhill" from Tom Cruise. This means Tom Cruise can violently butt rape Danny and at most be forced to say "sorry" for it, but if Danny were to say Cruise forcibly butt raped him, he'd be dead and gone, doomed to the worst status in Scientology possible. Masterson was "uphill" to the people he raped, though, so he is to be protected and cherished by Scientology at great cost so long as any celebrities he raped were "downhill" from him.
Interesting. I didn't know uphill/downhill was a thing. But I certainly did experience it once or twice, when I got into WISE disagreements with people who had a higher IAS status than mine. I couldn't figure out why my side of the story apparently didn't deserve any justice. Come to think of it, that was another milestone on my way out. Thanks for filling in that blank spot for me, Cali.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Interesting. I didn't know uphill/downhill was a thing. But I certainly did experience it once or twice, when I got into WISE disagreements with people who had a higher IAS status than mine. I couldn't figure out why my side of the story apparently didn't deserve any justice. Come to think of it, that was another milestone on my way out. Thanks for filling in that blank spot for me, Cali.
Said another way, the purpose of WISE is to resolve conflicts, not according to truth or wog concepts of fairness, but according to what is The Greatest Good For The Greatest Number Of Dynamics, which translates into what's the greatest Good for Scientology.

This means that people who are judged more valuable to Scn than you will generally win the dispute. This gives scumbags an incentive to ensure that they are deemed valuable, so they can screw others with impunity.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Said another way, the purpose of WISE is to resolve conflicts, not according to truth or wog concepts of fairness, but according to what is The Greatest Good For The Greatest Number Of Dynamics, which translates into what's the greatest Good for Scientology.

This means that people who are judged more valuable to Scn than you will generally win the dispute. This gives scumbags an incentive to ensure that they are deemed valuable, so they can screw others with impunity.
Wow, WISE was stacked against truth and fairness from the get go.
That really opens up the Scientology scam sandwich to the point that once you lift the bread and look at all the layers of scam you will never take a bite out of that scam sandwich again and you wonder who in the world would feed themselves and their families such shit?

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
There's an interesting piece about the alt-religion spamming on Wikipedia in the late 90s;

"Sporgery is the disruptive act of posting a flood of articles to a Usenet newsgroup, with the article headers falsified so that they appear to have been posted by others. The word is a portmanteau of spam and forgery, coined by German software developer, and critic of Scientology, Tilman Hausherr.[1][2]

Sporgery resembles crapflooding which is also intended to disrupt a forum. However, sporgery is not merely disruptive but also deceptive or libellous—it involves falsifying objectionable posts so they appear to come from newsgroup regulars. The purpose is not merely to jam the forum, but also to sully the reputations of its regular users by falsely signing their names to offensive posts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporgery

I remember Pilot saying that he thought Scientology had found a Hip Crime spammer and backed him up with big bucks.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
There's an interesting piece about the alt-religion spamming on Wikipedia in the late 90s;

"Sporgery is the disruptive act of posting a flood of articles to a Usenet newsgroup, with the article headers falsified so that they appear to have been posted by others. The word is a portmanteau of spam and forgery, coined by German software developer, and critic of Scientology, Tilman Hausherr.[1][2]

Sporgery resembles crapflooding which is also intended to disrupt a forum. However, sporgery is not merely disruptive but also deceptive or libellous—it involves falsifying objectionable posts so they appear to come from newsgroup regulars. The purpose is not merely to jam the forum, but also to sully the reputations of its regular users by falsely signing their names to offensive posts."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporgery

I remember Pilot saying that he thought Scientology had found a Hip Crime spammer and backed him up with big bucks.
I don't know if it still can be done or if there exist filters to catch and prevent this but it used to be that if you used a lower case L in your ID someone could create a login using a capital I instead and could post content that seemingly was coming from you, Like Cat's Squirrel where they would create a new ID where the L becomes an I but it appears to everyone to be from you when it's actually a slightly different enough spelling as to pass for you. That's why I was reluctant to use Dagwood as someone could recreate my ID by substituting zero's for the o's though most would spot that one.

Last edited: