What's new

What Does It Mean To Be A Man? | Thoughts on the Sacred Masculine.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is slightly off topic but a few years ago Aarron Russo spoke about how the woman's liberation movement was funded by the Rockefellers .
I suppose that the role of the male has changed a lot now that many women go to work instead of being at home taking care of the kids. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is slightly off topic but a few years ago Aarron Russo spoke about how the woman's liberation movement was funded by the Rockefellers .
I suppose that the role of the male has changed a lot now that many women go to work instead of being at home taking care of the kids. I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing.
Call me old fashioned but I prefered it when men were allowed to be men and women were allowed to be women. If you see what I mean.
I've read that there is clear evidence that agents and chemicals in food and the environment impact males at the fetal stage. This would include estrogen in water. This continues all through the development and growth stage of the young male. Hormonally, by the time they reach young adulthood, many are in fact quasi-females.

There's some interesting statistics on here about the decline of the manly man.
https://today.yougov.com/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2016/05/23/decline-manly-man

freethinker

Sponsor
The one thing he does have a point on is things are driven by fear. It's a fear driven society and he is correct that you have to overcome them or you won't survive.

The Gillette ad and it's creator, a woman.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
No, not at all. Women carry the same weight backpacks as men. The physical standard is extremely high. One of the men who got kicked out last week was a muscular gym owner who looked as fit as anyone could be. When they were running up a mountain with full gear on their backs his female partner had to keep shouting at him to keep him going. Then at the top of the mountain they had to jump into an ice-cold lake and this guy's body shut down and he had to be rescued by his female partner.

Also, this isn't just a physical test. Every aspect of their personality is being tested.

This is a tough selection process.
Okay, thanks for that.

In the general forces many soldiers have been complaining that the physical standards have been reduced to allow female recruits to be able to pass the fitness tests. Something they claim can lead to more casualties in the battlefields.

It's not my opinion, just the general consensus from what I have been reading.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Okay, thanks for that.

In the general forces many soldiers have been complaining that the physical standards have been reduced to allow female recruits to be able to pass the fitness tests. Something they claim can lead to more casualties in the battlefields.

It's not my opinion, just the general consensus from what I have been reading.
The average woman has much less upper-body strength than the average man. This is documented biological fact. This does not mean that there aren't physically-fit young women out there who can whip my gray haired butt. It means that a very physically fit young man is stronger.

Case in point, the US Olympic Women's Hockey Team. Some of the fittest women athletes in the world. Did exhibition matches against high school boys teams and lost. Well, they won some, and lost some, but still, regular boys high school teams held their own against the most fit women in the world.

Now, how well is even an above-average woman going to do, in tasks that involve lugging 80 pounds of gear on her back, up and down mountains, for miles, and having to be in condition to fight at the end? How many women do you know who could lift a 200 pound man and carry him to safety? Political correctness will get people killed.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
The average woman has much less upper-body strength than the average man. This is documented biological fact. This does not mean that there aren't physically-fit young women out there who can whip my gray haired butt. It means that a very physically fit young man is stronger.

Case in point, the US Olympic Women's Hockey Team. Some of the fittest women athletes in the world. Did exhibition matches against high school boys teams and lost. Well, they won some, and lost some, but still, regular boys high school teams held their own against the most fit women in the world.

Now, how well is even an above-average woman going to do, in tasks that involve lugging 80 pounds of gear on her back, up and down mountains, for miles, and having to be in condition to fight at the end? How many women do you know who could lift a 200 pound man and carry him to safety? Political correctness will get people killed.
We've all seen pictures of women's bodybuilding champions and some are much more well muscled than most men.
When I was 23 I backpacked Isle Royale, Michigan out on Lake Superior with my clam girlfriend who'd backpacked the island before whereas I hadn't.
My pack weighed 77 lbs, compared to my 145lbs. while hers weighed 37 lbs compared to her 100 lbs and had all of the food so hers got lighter by the day, 11 days total.
I thought I'd never make it just 50' down the trail, my feet were already bloodied from trying to break in my new Italian hiking boots in the weeks before.
Fortunately I'd brought a pair of nylon joggers which I had to switch to fairly soon as it was 45 miles as the crow flies but with extensive climbs up and down and switchbacks, the actual miles was nearly double that.
We made it to the end and I lost 15 lbs while my feet tore through the nylon joggers during the many descents where my toes would get pushed, tearing through the fronts of my joggers but by then and using lots of moleskin I was able to finish while wearing the Italian hiking boots.
After the half way mark I was able to do wind sprints with the 77lb pack on my back as my body had adjusted to the workload while my pack had become heavier from the all interesting drift wood and moose antlers I picked up along the way.
I did notice that her womanly build, wider in the hips with more proportionate strength in her legs, made her very adept at dealing with the rigors of the hike.
My greater arm strength was mostly a non factor as once I had the pack up and on it was all supported by my spindly legs and narrow waist, or in those days it was.
Women can deal with a lot and many men are very surprised at the extent that is the case.
Not to mention their innate ability to handle pain, probably as a result of being built through evolution to handle childbirth and carrying the children around.

Last edited:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Winters here in England aren't what they used to be. I've been living down here on the south coast for over ten years now, and in that time I've seen snow twice, on both occasions a tiny dusting that vanished within a matter of minutes.
Make that 3 times in over ten years. Never mind the polar vortex, it's 7.44 pm here, and right now there's a blizzard going on outside. Very rare and unusual for this part of the country.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Women can deal with a lot and many men are very surprised at the extent that is the case.
Not to mention their innate ability to handle pain, probably as a result of being built through evolution to handle childbirth and carrying the children around.
Hey, let's go for it.

One thing though, about women in combat. Back in 1981, there was a Supreme Court case, Rostker v. Goldberg, which argued that the US "selective service" system was discriminatory, because men have to register for potential military conscription, but women don't. The judges decided that it was not discriminatory, because (in 1981) women were not allowed in combat.

In 2019, this is now no longer the case.

CwsWWssVQAAhEnM.jpg

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
But just in just as many species, the role of the male is simply to impregnate the female and move on. If he sticks around at all, the mother often has to protect the offspring from their father who will eventually see them as competition or new potential partners.
That's true in a matriarchal culture such as what we see in the "projects" in the US. Man is just a sperm donor and everyone is afraid of Big Mama who lays down the law.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey, let's go for it.

One thing though, about women in combat. Back in 1981, there was a Supreme Court case, Rostker v. Goldberg, which argued that the US "selective service" system was discriminatory, because men have to register for potential military conscription, but women don't. The judges decided that it was not discriminatory, because (in 1981) women were not allowed in combat.

In 2019, this is now no longer the case.

CwsWWssVQAAhEnM.jpg
That stirs a gut reaction in me: Noooooooooooooo!

JustSheila

Crusader
We've all seen pictures of women's bodybuilding champions and some are much more well muscled than most men.
When I was 23 I backpacked Isle Royale, Michigan out on Lake Superior with my clam girlfriend who'd backpacked the island before whereas I hadn't.
My pack weighed 77 lbs, compared to my 145lbs. while hers weighed 37 lbs compared to her 100 lbs and had all of the food so hers got lighter by the day, 11 days total.
I thought I'd never make it just 50' down the trail, my feet were already bloodied from trying to break in my new Italian hiking boots in the weeks before.
Fortunately I'd brought a pair of nylon joggers which I had to switch to fairly soon as it was 45 miles as the crow flies but with extensive climbs up and down and switchbacks, the actual miles was nearly double that.
We made it to the end and I lost 15 lbs while my feet tore through the nylon joggers during the many descents where my toes would get pushed, tearing through the fronts of my joggers but by then and using lots of moleskin I was able to finish while wearing the Italian hiking boots.
After the half way mark I was able to do wind sprints with the 77lb pack on my back as my body had adjusted to the workload while my pack had become heavier from the all interesting drift wood and moose antlers I picked up along the way.
I did notice that her womanly build, wider in the hips with more proportionate strength in her legs, made her very adept at dealing with the rigors of the hike.
My greater arm strength was mostly a non factor as once I had the pack up and on it was all supported by my spindly legs and narrow waist, or in those days it was.
Good firsthand account!

There is normally a difference in a man's center of gravity and a woman's. A man's is normally around his chest and a woman's around her hips. Normally, anyway. There are always men with small chests and women with small hips and bigger chests.

A higher center of gravity might make hiking and some other activities more strenuous for a man than a woman unless certain muscles are developed.

There's a Chinese form of fighting and defense based on the body's line of gravity called "Wing Chun." It's a form of kung fu and the kind of kung fu we saw Bruce Lee use in movies. Pretty cool stuff about how to use your body's natural balance and gravity in your favor:

http://www.internalkungfu.com.au/wi...s/susanna-ho/centre-of-gravity-and-footw.html

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Good firsthand account!

There is normally a difference in a man's center of gravity and a woman's. A man's is normally around his chest and a woman's around her hips. Normally, anyway. There are always men with small chests and women with small hips and bigger chests.

A higher center of gravity might make hiking and some other activities more strenuous for a man than a woman unless certain muscles are developed.

There's a Chinese form of fighting and defense based on the body's line of gravity called "Wing Chun." It's a form of kung fu and the kind of kung fu we saw Bruce Lee use in movies. Pretty cool stuff about how to use your body's natural balance and gravity in your favor:

http://www.internalkungfu.com.au/wi...s/susanna-ho/centre-of-gravity-and-footw.html
Thanks! That was the trip where a wolf pack chased 2 adult moose and 1 calf into our campsite at 3AM where they nimbly got past our tent ropes and stakes and into the lake's water where they splashed around with wolves howling all around us!
We were frozen in fear as we thought it was wolves in the water in front of our shore front camp site.
The next morning we saw the moose tracks and days later a ranger at the wharf where we were to catch our boat back to the mainland told us that the moose have become educated of the fact that they only need to run into a campsite and the wolves will chicken out on further pursuit at that point, especially important to them when they've a calf to protect.
As there are no deer or bears out there it's a 1 to 1 prey vs predator relationship between the wolves and the moose with more wolves per square mile than anywhere in the lower states, or there were back in the 70's.
He said it's a common occurrence to have wolves chase moose into the campsites up there!
This is the kind of stuff I did back then rather than rotting on course down at the morgue, they didn't like that I had an actual life!

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
There is normally a difference in a man's center of gravity and a woman's. A man's is normally around his chest and a woman's around her hips. Normal
ly, anyway. There are always men with small chests and women with small hips and bigger chests.
I had never thought of the built in difference in center of gravity of men and momen, it certainly makes sense to me now that you've described it, thanks for the insight!
Also, I don't mean for it to seem that I'm in favor of women fighting on the front lines in battle, I'm not in favor of that at all.
I was just making a point that women are often a lot more capable of physical feats than they've generally been given credit for.
I say lets keep all of our young people out of battle, male and female!
What good did Vietnam do us?
Versus the price that young men paid to serve the vested interests of those corporate entities who sought to profit from their immense and such tragic suffering...