What's new

Do you believe in God?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
When one tries to find God through any organized religion you'll only find sheeple and the parasites who prey upon them.
Some of us remember being those sheeple while some remember being those parasites from our time in Scientology.
Plus I was a Mormon for a few weeks as many of us tried other religions when we stepped out of Scn.
The big three from the middle east and their myriads of spinoffs are biggest offenders as weapons grade religions, which Scientology has specialized in becoming.
Belief in God(s) and the belief in the spiritual nature of self and others is entirely another matter.
More importantly, does God believe in you and me?

Last edited:

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Did you hear the one about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac?

... He stayed awake all night wondering if there was a dog.

vain_shields217

Patron with Honors
...and if yes, then what sort of God?

me:

1. A God that is all-good, all-powerfull, omnipresent, conscious, personal, perfect but who for some absurd reasons creates disfigured and imperfect entities outside of himself? Nope, I do not believe in this God, in fact I'm certain such a combination of self-contradictory traits is impossible.

2. A god that made jews run around the desert for 40 years and which orders stoning of teenagers that had sex and condones selling daughters into slavery? I'm not sure. I think such a god is possible, but even so it would be a demiurge, godling, a "god" with a lowercase "g". Hardly worth praise, more demonic than saintly.

3. An impersonal ultimate potentiality, the pervasive, infinite, ultimate reality. The gnostic pleroma, hinduistic brahman, or plotinic the one? Yes, I am quite confident that it exists. Of course I have reached this conclusion through contemplative insight, so I do not have any interpersonal evidence. This has nothing to do with my experiences in sicentology or the 8th dynamic. I've reached this conclusion after leaving scientology.
I slowly reached the conclusion that it doesn't really matter whether one holds to the 'God is perfect' precepts of the most bible-led Christian OR fully subscribes to your number 2. representation; whichever you believe, or whichever mid-ground standpoint you pick between those 2, the fact seems to be the same that by Genesis 6, all creation was aware that things were not as they should have been and Jesus then pointed to that defragmenting of System software: 'earth', the flood, as having to happen again, after his ascension.

I believe it's because your numinous One is Jesus' father (we did get created in His image (and that's why Jesus could be born resembling us)); which means that we are not at the mercy of the Demiurge even if there is one. It's that spark of Divine Light that means Scientology won't last forever, as it's a glass very darkly.....compared with something like Orthodox Christianity which just purely and simply saves its followers by humble Grace of standing in the mystical Antioch-ean tradition of the Acts.

Me and My Self

Self-born, Autogamous Unicorn
me:
3. An impersonal ultimate potentiality, the pervasive, infinite, ultimate reality. The gnostic pleroma, hinduistic brahman, or plotinic the one? Yes, I am quite confident that it exists. Of course I have reached this conclusion through contemplative insight, so I do not have any interpersonal evidence.

I would vouch for this one. All the rest are anthropomorphic human, ego-driven, taught (thus culturally enforced) constructions. Moreover, I would say we (and all beings/things appearances) are a tiny fraction of that absolute and ultimate reality.
I just name it "Life".

Last edited:

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, I do believe in God, but I don't believe in the goodness of God. He is just a pain in the ass. Actually, there is more than one of these Gods but to me they are all false Gods who assigned themselves that title and are hanging around, looking for worship.

God to me is not a benevolent ruler of the universe who goes about righting wrongs, taking care of His flock, and making sure everyone is treated fairly. Oh no. He doesn't give a **** about what us lowly humans are up to, as long as His needs are being served.

There is one exception. The original creator of the universe, who set the whole thing in motion. He created a few beings, who created a few more, who created a few more, and so on; with some beings given specialized jobs that resulted in the complexity of our universe today. But the original creator isn't active any more; He has not hung around to manage His creation.

Helena

Dotey OT

Cyclops Duck of the North - BEWARE
I don't know, whenever I begin to contemplate God, god, godz, or whatever, I start to get small waves from deep within of cognitive dissonance that make what I experienced in stupidology seem like a short station break. I've worked it many different ways in a few churches and books, but still the same result. I was raised in a christian family, with all the trimmings. I looked back at it in later years without the earlier bias as a kid. Thought more as a Deist. Still, wtf?

Maybe I'm just not bright enough to "get it ".

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yes, I do believe in God, but I don't believe in the goodness of God. He is just a pain in the ass. Actually, there is more than one of these Gods but to me they are all false Gods who assigned themselves that title and are hanging around, looking for worship.

God to me is not a benevolent ruler of the universe who goes about righting wrongs, taking care of His flock, and making sure everyone is treated fairly. Oh no. He doesn't give a **** about what us lowly humans are up to, as long as His needs are being served.

There is one exception. The original creator of the universe, who set the whole thing in motion. He created a few beings, who created a few more, who created a few more, and so on; with some beings given specialized jobs that resulted in the complexity of our universe today. But the original creator isn't active any more; He has not hung around to manage His creation.

Helena
Gnosticism?
Ockhams-razor-col-cjmadden.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
It would seem to me more likely that I should witness an an giving birth to an elephant than I hould find a mortal human who can give me the measure of (what I would call) That Which Is Greater Than Ourselves.

I am a student of many different scriptures (not the least of them Mad magazine) but find a certain primacy in The Holy Bible. The teachings of The Nazarene for one thing but also I find the Prophecies of Daniel to be incomparable. Chapter Two is a stunningly accurate outline of western civilization from Daniel's time up to the sack of Rome in 476. Chapter Seven just as stunningly outlines western civilization from the Middle Ages through our modern day and the first half of Chapter Eleven prophesied the two Gulf Wars.

Me and My Self

Self-born, Autogamous Unicorn
@Clay Pigeon
That Which is Greater Than Ourselves, as the name itself aptly indicates, can't thus be interpreted as anthropomorphic (as it seems to be the case in most religions, including Christianity).

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
If what you claim is true, why do appx 99% of all "high spiritual awareness" Scientologists get declared or blow?

You state "one will be able to answer any questions about God" if they reach the higher levels of Scientology. Okay, name "one" who has that ability.

Don't think of me as an SP. Think of me as someone doing "data evaluation" (i.e. due diligence) using the "analytical mind".

Why do i think you came to promote cult mythology? Why do i think you will not answer these questions?

ps: "It is said"? Really? By whom? The only person I know who said that is the NOT-clear, NOT-OT, debunked con man L. Ron Hubbard. What? Somebody ELSE said it?

No intelligent person who believes in Godly things and is well apprised of the better aspects of Hubbard's Magnum Opus thinks you are an "SP" Hoaxie...

All of us know you to be an exemplary though somewhat diffident OT.

Of course as we all well know the signal fact of an OT is that they come out of CoS as "a round ball bearing which naturally rolls to where it can do the most good"

You left and went to work for some sort of investment company. Shortly after your arrival the honcho was discovered to be embezzling. You spoke of this in the third person as if you had nothing to do with it but you can't fool me; your OT ethics presence precipitated ethics going in as surely as an Elvis Presley concert gives teenybopper chicks damp panties. Having completed the Danger Formula you took a look at what could be done for the investors. Successfully applying the Emergency Formula you got the company up into Normal Operation and, apparently thereafter up into Affluence

So...

Jump up and down and scream Denial until you get black in the face HH we know you are an OT and you will stand as living proof of the validity of Hubbard's philosophy even after you have shed this mortal coil

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Jesus

Hoaxy,
You Lucky LRH loyal officier
:D

But don't expect to become wealthy as LRH ghost writer..you better start your own religion!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
If there is a God or Gods, I don't think he/she/it/they would be impressed with any mainstream religion.

Religion is comforting as it gives a person a way to make sense of life. Life is hard (just watch a Jordan Peterson video if you're not convinced) and religion makes it less hard because it offers reward for the suffering. All religions do this. It's their cornerstone. The rewards might be heaven, nirvana, val halla, paradise, OT etc. People want/need a reason to keep on going through their shitty lives.

Hoverever, life is less shitty now. Most of us have ample food, shelter, medicine etc. so the need for religion is reducing.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
I would say the apparent need for religion is diminished...

God bless America! Around here you still can't get elected to any office higher than dogcatcher if you openly profess atheism...