What's new

Peter Letterese sues church for $250 million

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Betcha a dollar the court will not certify it as RICO. He's got a tort, but there is no clear pattern of criminal behavior.

Unless he has big money to bring in some heavy artillery, I bet it wont go anywhere.

alex

Civil RICO cases are extremely difficult, even in cases where the finances aren't as lopsided as a private citizen vs. a billion-dollar cult with a history of secrecy and paranoia and corruption.

And, the reason for that is that private citizens just don't have the access to investigation and discovery that's necessary, nor do they have the means to manipulate the courts and witnesses that money and unscrupulousness grant.

Which is why the real necessity is for a *criminal* RICO prosecution, because, there is little doubt that the 'Church' of Scientology qualifies for practically every aspect of racketeering and corrupt organization, but, proving so in a court of law is something that would require actual investigation, subpoena and contempt of court powers.

So, the purpose of *all* anti-Scientology activity is to help Scientology crawl out from under its comfy rock into the light of day; be seen and recognized for the malicious and criminal entity it is to the point where the agencies entrusted with watchdogging such activities can no longer turn a convenient blind eye. Face it, even taking on the mafia was something law enforcement avoided for decades, and, Scientology is both less influential and more difficult to penetrate.

But, all that said, civil actions by private citizens, although almost certainly futile are welcome, because, every little bit helps. Much of the exposure of the Cult is a direct result of such private actions, which, while not ultimately 'successful' (The Cult is still there) have brought out the kind of information that is now snowballing and creating the broad public awareness that's necessary, and, I for one welcome every little bit more.

The camel's carrying a heavy load and none of us can predict which straw it will be that finally hits critical mass.

Zinj

byte301

Crusader
There was an elderly woman who had some $- her name was "Helen Lane" and then there was a young male reg who did the dirty with old Helen- name that reg? Hint- he had a sister on staff and that same reg tried to marry other women while still married. Geez the ole time memories are stirrin..... Gotta luv this thread- and I did hurt myself banging the desk in laughter....lol:woohoo: :cheerleader: :cheers2:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Civil RICO cases are extremely difficult, even in cases where the finances aren't as lopsided as a private citizen vs. a billion-dollar cult with a history of secrecy and paranoia and corruption.

And, the reason for that is that private citizens just don't have the access to investigation and discovery that's necessary, nor do they have the means to manipulate the courts and witnesses that money and unscrupulousness grant.

Which is why the real necessity is for a *criminal* RICO prosecution, because, there is little doubt that the 'Church' of Scientology qualifies for practically every aspect of racketeering and corrupt organization, but, proving so in a court of law is something that would require actual investigation, subpoena and contempt of court powers.

So, the purpose of *all* anti-Scientology activity is to help Scientology crawl out from under its comfy rock into the light of day; be seen and recognized for the malicious and criminal entity it is to the point where the agencies entrusted with watchdogging such activities can no longer turn a convenient blind eye. Face it, even taking on the mafia was something law enforcement avoided for decades, and, Scientology is both less influential and more difficult to penetrate.

But, all that said, civil actions by private citizens, although almost certainly futile are welcome, because, every little bit helps. Much of the exposure of the Cult is a direct result of such private actions, which, while not ultimately 'successful' (The Cult is still there) have brought out the kind of information that is now snowballing and creating the broad public awareness that's necessary, and, I for one welcome every little bit more.

The camel's carrying a heavy load and none of us can predict which straw it will be that finally hits critical mass.

Zinj

Some good points Zinj, but remember Peetah can't bring a criminal action only the guvmint can do that.

To use the analogy of a parent child relationship. If scientology is the parent and Peetah is the child, he is only doing what he was taught by mom and pop. The provision in the RICO Act which allows private parties to sue is the right ammunition for him to poke the beast in the eye and hopefully give them a little taste of their own medicine in my opinion.

If this case is not thrown out, some of the charges in his complaint open doors we all know they don't want opened.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Some good points Zinj, but remember Peetah can't bring a criminal action only the guvmint can do that.

To use the analogy of a parent child relationship. If scientology is the parent and Peetah is the child, he is only doing what he was taught by mom and pop. The provision in the RICO Act which allows private parties to sue is the right ammunition for him to poke the beast in the eye and hopefully give them a little taste of their own medicine in my opinion.

If this case is not thrown out, some of the charges in his complaint open doors we all know they don't want opened.

That's kind of the point. I'm appreciative of almost all action taken by individuals, regardless of the superficial futility. That said, there are some considerations about counter-productive action, and, there are some things that *can* be done, but, shouldn't.

A case that would end up in a legal precedent that makes further actions more difficult could be one, or, the 'activism' of a Fred Durks, which taints the rest of the effort. To some extent, even Bob Minton's efforts, which, while being admirable and well intentioned, also resulted in negative effects that should have been predictable, had they been planned with less hubris.

I'm glad that 'Anon' caught on to some of the pitfalls early enough that their efforts have become so overwhelmingly valuable.

Will Peter's lawsuit be a net positive or negative? I sincerely hope and expect that it will be positive, although futile in a 'legal' sense. I'm thumbs up all the way and grateful that someone is willing to invest the effort and money into the process.

Zinj

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Back in the mid 80s there was a seminar in New York City that used the book by Les Dane that is mentioned early in the brief. The patters that are in the book were covered. The techniques were drilled.

I know people that went to it. There were Scientologists and non-Scientologists.

At the end of the seminar Success Stories were written by the Scientologists and were coaxed from the non-Scientologists.

/laugh out loud

Rd00

outlawgal

Patron
Big League Sales

I was FSC EUS, and I worked with both Peter and Dave Richards (CO, FCDC) on a great many sales to folks for combined FCDC/Flag packages. I remember Peter as an honorable pirate, which on good days is how I remember myself.

Big League Sales is an amazing book. Truly, the author Les Dane nailed a series of sales techniques that are pretty much infallible. As long as the person sitting in front of you has the money, there's gonna be an extremely good chance you can get it simply by using the techniques in that book. One of the techniques is "double teaming." Peter and I did that.

When lrh found out how crackerjack cool this book was, he ordered that the church buy the copyright. I didn't know it was Peter who holds it. That's a major hoot, and must make Peter smile a lot. I was on the mission out of FOLO EUS in NY to get the books printed in Nyack, NY and shipped out to orgs around the world so that all regges could train on "The Big League Sales" course that became mandatory for every reg hat pack. BLS is part of standard admin church canon.

You can't find a copy of BLS today for less than $500 or so. Really, check out e-bay. But for those who are interested in a truly cool and even highly ethical guide to sales, there's a later version that's more available. When Les Dane found out how many copies of his book were being sold after he'd sold the rights to it... he got pissed off and in 1978, he wrote "Surefire Sales Closing Techniques," which I think is even better than BLS. I found my copy for about $50. Some Amazon stores sell it, as does e-Bay.

I always thought Peter was a good guy, a nice guy. Here's what makes me sad about all this: there are thousands of scilons around the world who never knew Peter Letterese, and now they hate him with a passion. That so sucks. If anyone is in touch with Peter, please let him know I'm wishing him comfort and strength and a good sense of humor.

xo

outlaw

uncle sam

Silver Meritorious Patron
To Outlawgal

I was FSC EUS, and I worked with both Peter and Dave Richards (CO, FCDC) on a great many sales to folks for combined FCDC/Flag packages. I remember Peter as an honorable pirate, which on good days is how I remember myself.

Big League Sales is an amazing book. Truly, the author Les Dane nailed a series of sales techniques that are pretty much infallible. As long as the person sitting in front of you has the money, there's gonna be an extremely good chance you can get it simply by using the techniques in that book. One of the techniques is "double teaming." Peter and I did that.

When lrh found out how crackerjack cool this book was, he ordered that the church buy the copyright. I didn't know it was Peter who holds it. That's a major hoot, and must make Peter smile a lot. I was on the mission out of FOLO EUS in NY to get the books printed in Nyack, NY and shipped out to orgs around the world so that all regges could train on "The Big League Sales" course that became mandatory for every reg hat pack. BLS is part of standard admin church canon.

You can't find a copy of BLS today for less than $500 or so. Really, check out e-bay. But for those who are interested in a truly cool and even highly ethical guide to sales, there's a later version that's more available. When Les Dane found out how many copies of his book were being sold after he'd sold the rights to it... he got pissed off and in 1978, he wrote "Surefire Sales Closing Techniques," which I think is even better than BLS. I found my copy for about $50. Some Amazon stores sell it, as does e-Bay.

I always thought Peter was a good guy, a nice guy. Here's what makes me sad about all this: there are thousands of scilons around the world who never knew Peter Letterese, and now they hate him with a passion. That so sucks. If anyone is in touch with Peter, please let him know I'm wishing him comfort and strength and a good sense of humor.

xo

outlaw

I am very glad that Peter has a friend in you-you are right in the fact that Peter doesn't deserve to be "hated". What Peter did-is exactly what the cos wanted him to do-get the $$$$-he did-he had no reservations-no qualms- and absolutely no ethics! How do I know this-I regged Peter when he first came in the door at old fcdc. I trained him. I was his roomate. I know Peter very well. I don't hate Peter-we shared many laughs and reg commissions- I don't like to think that I gave him the OK to "brainwash" the public with outright lies on the efficacy of scn tech. He was without peer in his ability garner every last cent out of the public. He was "The Reg".

uncle sam

Peter's first wife?

Does anybody remember Peter's first wife "Mary"?
I would wager that Anabaptist might. What became of her? It would be easy for her to be over shadowed by Peter's reputation. She was no slouch-she always got what she wanted-she seemed shy but that belied her nature. Where is she? And what is she doing? I liked her.

Good twin

Floater
It's funny. I learned so much from Peter Letterese. He really is a larger than life character. The Abbreviation PL is well understood to any FESer in the EUS.

I only have learned to appreciate him since being out. He is truly a very able guy. He really can get a product. I would love to just hang out with him without any agenda. That's kind of hard to imagine, though. Don't know his earlier wives, but was good buddies with his current, Barbara.:yes:

Poofy

Patron with Honors
I did check on google news before I posted so it looks like this is legitimate. Best of luck to him though. It'll be a hard fight.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
About Peter

Peter came to my mission in the mid 80's.

He was all the rage about being the top reg on the planet.

At the time I was living on a Yaht at the Manhattan Boat Basin with Roland Stears (from Bear and Stearns), son, Bobby.

Yes, we were living on a Yaht there.

I took Bobby into the mission and left him in the care of Peter, as I was assured Peter would find his ruin and get him on the bridge.

Six hours later I returned to the Yaht to find Bobby on the floor in tears.

Peter caved him in by ser facing on him for HOURS about the fact that we had several rottweilers on the estate in Connecticut for security.

That little son of a bitch named Peter Letterice only was involved with Church activities when it meant a dollar in his pocket or the power to be sadistic unchecked.

I'm sorry but the truth is thruth.

Peter Letterice was a little sadistic criminal when I knew him.

T.O.

Smitty

comment to TO

At the time I was living on a Yaht at the Manhattan Boat Basin with Roland Stears (from Bear and Stearns), son, Bobby.
I took Bobby into the mission and left him in the care of Peter, as I was assured Peter would find his ruin and get him on the bridge.
Peter caved him in by ser facing on him for HOURS about the fact that we had several rottweilers on the estate in Connecticut for security.
That little son of a bitch named Peter Letterice only was involved with Church activities when it meant a dollar in his pocket or the power to be sadistic unchecked.
T.O.

No, what he did is not at all criminal. He was merely following Hubbard's precept, "Never fear to hurt another in a just cause."
Smitty

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
No, what he did is not at all criminal. He was merely following Hubbard's precept, "Never fear to hurt another in a just cause."
Smitty

Hey, you know, read all over the internet, I was in the sEA oRG SIX Fkn years and you will not find one negative report about me. I did not abuse anyone with my status. Ever. Never sat on a comm ev.

Just because Peter was impressionable does not excuse his mental abuse on others.

That guy was a pimp full blown and blew all of WAll street OFF OF MISSION LINES.

hE WAS SADISTIC WITH HIS POWER.

If you can excuse that good for you.

He violated my trust .

He never worked a day for free.

There is not a former Sea Org member on this forum that would back him up.

I would go to court myself and testify against that little Hiltler.

Do you want the truth or do you just want to be right and make others wrong?

T.O.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yaht. Wut?

T.O.

I can see all these years in the cult haven't improved your ability to spell.

Did your dictionary fall overboard?

yacht (yät)n. Any of various relatively small sailing or motor-driven vessels, generally with smart graceful lines, used for pleasure cruises or racing.

intr.v. yacht·ed, yacht·ing, yachts To sail, cruise, or race in a yacht.

Yes, my anus is retentive about spelling.

Last edited:

uncle sam

I can see all these years in the cult haven't improved your ability to spell.

Did your dictionary fall overboard?

yacht (yät)n. Any of various relatively small sailing or motor-driven vessels, generally with smart graceful lines, used for pleasure cruises or racing.

intr.v. yacht·ed, yacht·ing, yachts To sail, cruise, or race in a yacht.

Yes, my anus is retentive about spelling.

Holy Cow-Nozeno- I have never ever seen or heard you bust'em this bad. You know that I know that we both have a very very good friend who is lucky to spell his name correctly and yet this harmless gent who has a legitimate complaint against Peter [one of our own] becomes a victim of your innate "ruthlessness". Whatever happened to the Nozeno of the age of Aquarius?

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Holy Cow-Nozeno- I have never ever seen or heard you bust'em this bad. You know that I know that we both have a very very good friend who is lucky to spell his name correctly and yet this harmless gent who has a legitimate complaint against Peter [one of our own] becomes a victim of your innate "ruthlessness". Whatever happened to the Nozeno of the age of Aquarius?

Still here baby.

I was abused in grade school by vicious English and Math teachers.

haight-hippie.jpg