What's new

Riverside Mission

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Okay... you got me wondering.
What weird shit happened?

It's hard to explain. Like, books flying off of shelves in the middle of the night. weird noises that sounded like a group of people having a party, but when you went looking for it, it just faded away.

I tried to enlist a couple of my fellow Scien-dipshitists to help me evaluate some of these phenomena, and they invariably freaked out and ran when they heard anything.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Or, lights that wouldn't stay turned off, even though no one was in the building. (at least as far as I know)

You see why I say it's hard to explain?

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
It would be fun and interesting if we could ever arrange a reunion meeting amongst old staff and public of the Riverside Mission (as many as could make it).

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I remember trying to tell people. Joe Yazbeck comes to mind. He insisted it was just the air conditioner making noise. Like I, the Night Watchman didn't know what the air conditioner sounded like.

HCObringOrder?

Silver Meritorious Patron
Down by the Riverside

I remember trying to tell people. Joe Yazbeck comes to mind. He insisted it was just the air conditioner making noise. Like I, the Night Watchman didn't know what the air conditioner sounded like.

It was probably Yaz who was doing it. There was a room on the roof where the Div 2 regs made their hangout place.
Invitation only. If they were quiet, you could not hear them up there. But if they were talking loudly, you could hear them through the ventilation system at a couple of places. There were also so many changes to the physical structure inside that the light switches for one area were the lights for another area also. As well as double or triple switches for a couple of areas. Down the second floor auditing hall was a couple of spots you could hear the sessions in the rooms. And a spot in the Main Gym where you could hear the converstion at the bottom of the basement stairs leading from the gym down to where HCO (ethics) was located.

The front entrance foyer area with the books on the south wall next to the Comm Course entry, the wall was not that stable. Also the book shelf behind the reception which was the shared wall with the Intro lecture. Both of these locations the books would move with the street vibrations of heavy trucks. I and Marti were allways resetting the books. I would get hit on the head sometimes with them.
Marti would warn me if she remembered.

Not to say that the place does not have some ghosts. :coolwink:

HCObringOrder?

Google Google where are they now?

I think that a lot of stuff that you have mentioned happened after I left.

When I left (if I remember correctly):

Steve was a course sup;
Rodney was a course sup;
Deb Butler was the head of the Comm Course;
Bill Butler was a reg;
Jim Hamre was a reg;
Rene Walker was a reg for the Comm Course;
Frank Walker ran Div6;
Robin Kaufman was over the sups on (I think) HQS;
Greg Kaufman was an EO (I think);
Diane Grenier was Qual Sec;
Marty Prince also in Qual;
Dave Grenier was in Div6;
Corky Shortridge was an examiner;
Tim Shortridge was over the credit union (or maybe had moved over to Div2 after that);
Joe Yazbeck was the intro lecturer.

That's a few that I remember, off hand. I could probably remember a few more if I thought about this some more.

:)

I Googled The Yaz and found the video site where he is doing an adfomercial for a How to Sell book taken from the HCOPLs. I can still see a little of his old look in his face, but he obviously has tried to remove the scary parts of his facial personality. He is still a bit plastic with his TRs though.

I found this site from an anon reference:
http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/impact/impact024patrons.html
It lists people who have contributed at least $40K.
On the list from Riverside are Bill and Debbie Butler, Tom Steiner and Ann Strickland (second wife I think, or maybe a daughter?).
Interesting that Bill, Debbie and Tom were all able to buy good clothes while on Riverside staff.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
It was probably Yaz who was doing it. There was a room on the roof where the Div 2 regs made their hangout place.
Invitation only. If they were quiet, you could not hear them up there. But if they were talking loudly, you could hear them through the ventilation system at a couple of places. There were also so many changes to the physical structure inside that the light switches for one area were the lights for another area also. As well as double or triple switches for a couple of areas. Down the second floor auditing hall was a couple of spots you could hear the sessions in the rooms. And a spot in the Main Gym where you could hear the converstion at the bottom of the basement stairs leading from the gym down to where HCO (ethics) was located.

The front entrance foyer area with the books on the south wall next to the Comm Course entry, the wall was not that stable. Also the book shelf behind the reception which was the shared wall with the Intro lecture. Both of these locations the books would move with the street vibrations of heavy trucks. I and Marti were allways resetting the books. I would get hit on the head sometimes with them.
Marti would warn me if she remembered.

Not to say that the place does not have some ghosts. :coolwink:

There are some problems with your solutions;

This was very late at night when I heard the voices, like after 3 am, and there was no one in the building besides me. They all had to be at work the next day early. I remember searching that whole building, including the roof, and not seeing anyone there. What sounded like moderate crowd would have had a real hard time leaving unseen.

Same thing with the lights; I would turn them off, and a few hours later on my rounds they would be on. Not to say that someone couldn't have come in and turned them on, and then left, but they would have had to have a key, and be very sneaky, as I hung out on the ground floor most of the time, and could see or hear all the entrances.

The books being moved by trucks going by...well, I suppose, except it was also very late when this stuff would happen, and there wasn't any traffic on the streets. I was sitting near the front door and could see out front, so it would have to have been a vehicle quite far away.

One time, just before a book flew, I felt like something had entered the lobby with me. It's hard to explain, but I heard a sort of buzzing sound, with something that sounded kind of like when you put you head under water at the sea shore, and you hear rocks clicking against each other in the surf. That's the best I can explain it. For some reason it seemed like a lot of someones.

I stood up and yelled "that's it!" (like a good little scilon) and then the book flew, and it got quiet. the book was across the room from me, so it was unlikely that my movement caused it, plus it was a few seconds after I stood while I was just standing there.

Eric (the janitor) used to spend the night in the building before I did, and he reported different, but also strange things.

HCObringOrder?

There are some problems with your solutions;
Eric (the janitor) used to spend the night in the building before I did, and he reported different, but also strange things.

I liked Eric a lot. He is one of the people I would like to have a coffee with.

It was funny that the aura of the building was such that you would leave it knowing that everything was safe.
It was like Bent had an OT postulate on the place.
It was not until later that Estates started having someone on duty through the night.
Most of the time there was someone doing amends all night anyway.
Also some of the staff would live in the Auditing rooms when they did not have a place to stay.

The main lobby couch was a great place to sleep for an hour or so.

HCObringOrder?

The Riverside Building.

Are you talking about the handball court (room) that is up there on the roof?

I do not remember the room being that large. They had a Foose Ball table up there and not much more room. As I remember it the room was like a shack with a single door.
Maybe the rest of the room was storage??

The Clam

Patron with Honors
Hey HCO Bring order. I think I remember you. Did you ever live on Magnolia in an apartment w/ six or eight other staff. I recall one guy living there being a security guard/ who worked nights. I think there was Walt hamilton corky sister.
john hetzler, bob bar, jim and a few others

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
HCObringOrder? said:
Also some of the staff would live in the Auditing rooms when they did not have a place to stay.

No. We lived in the basement. I was there.

Who lived in the auditing rooms? (I don't remember that at all.)

HCObringOrder?

Oops! Hide quick! Someone remembers me!

Hey HCO Bring order. I think I remember you. Did you ever live on Magnolia in an apartment w/ six or eight other staff. I recall one guy living there being a security guard/ who worked nights. I think there was Walt hamilton corky sister.
john hetzler, bob bar, jim and a few others

It may have been Magnolia, but then many of the street names are familiar to me. I may be able to narrow it down on a mapquest.
Short time for me though, and I was not a security guard (except in my "I work in HCO" point of view).

Meanwhile, a couple of the names are familiar.
Glad to say hello to another of Bent's kick butt mission people.

HCObringOrder?

... Did you ever live on Magnolia in an apartment w/ six or eight other staff. .....

Now that I have time to look at Mapquest, I may understand where you are talking about. Though the location I think you are referring to is not Magnolia.
Would you remember the game of the day?

Creating a virtual OG Riverside Group

It would be fun and interesting if we could ever arrange a reunion meeting amongst old staff and public of the Riverside Mission (as many as could make it).

Let's form a OG Riverside :old: :rock: public group on the ESMB?!? That might lead to a reunion someday, I'm new here, so I don't want to push it if others don't agree. Whaddaya think, anybody? :gathering:

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
ASHO

I really like the ASHO on Temple St. I was upset when I saw the new ASHO in the blue building. The wide-open, free-for-all energy of Temple St. was fantastic. At the blue building they had everything broken up into little rooms. The energy was gone.

Speaking of ASHO, one thing ASHO (at the blue building, in the 80s) was famous for was "unmocking AO OT packages." Someone would come in from Vancouver or some place, all paid up through OT 3 at AO, but would somehow get intercepted by ASHO (maybe they did a course there) and ASHO would C/S them for 25 or 50 hours of "OT preps." They'd go back home broke, without even having started their OT levels.

Whle I was on course at ASHO for HPCSC I stayed at The Manor (this is now Celebrity Center in L.A.). I shared a room on the 2nd floor. There was a shuttle van to take people from one place to another. I took the van to and from The Manor and ASHO. There were other stops along the way - like L.A. Org, old Celebrity Center, AO.

One of my room mates turned out to be the ex-husband of a lady on staff at the Riverside Mission. What a small world we live in! He played guitar. (I still remember when he played "Rocky Raccoon" in that room in the evening after we were all done with class or auditing.)

Surprisingly, among others, I met a few people at The Manor that were gay and/or bi-sexual. I only mention this because you might find this interesting given what Hubbard had to say about this. (No, I am not gay.)

I would get to ASHO and buy a donut from a vending machine in a small area between the course rooms.

The examiners were at card tables out in the open (i.e. not in private rooms). I don't know why this was so. I was surprised. Maybe this was a temporary thing because of renovations? I don't know.

Sometimes, before class started, I would go out back and peek at the S.O. muster that happened every morning. It was very military-like with staff in uniform and standing in rows. (We never did this at the Riverside Mission.)

Getting through the HPCSC course materials was easy. However, the internship was tough. There is a big difference between reading about it and actually doing it. But this is also the way it is in any practice... even outside Scientology.

Before internship, while I was on course, I attended both Day and Foundation to get through the course quicker. Once, after course, a tape by LRH was played... during this he mentioned his "encounter" with a mile-high being. (At that time I was amazed BUT now I think that it is nonsense.)

HCObringOrder?

Let's form a OG Riverside :old: :rock: public group on the ESMB?!? That might lead to a reunion someday, I'm new here, so I don't want to push it if others don't agree. Whaddaya think, anybody? :gathering:

Hey, it works for me.:D
I saw that Bent was at the West Coast party.:clap:
Wish I was available to be there.:duh:
I have not talked to him for a few years.

You can start a thread in the Members Only section, but I am not sure .... maybe the looking for friends area?
:hattip: