What's new

justaguy's (silly) questions thread

dt2000

Patron with Honors
This questions is less silly.

Did you vote in your local elections (assuming you lived in a country that has them) while in the cult? Did you vote before you joined? After you joined? After you left?

If you've voted, did you stop voting sometime after you joined the church? If so, why?

It would seem to me that the stance of the church on politics would be the same as the stance of the church on the rest of the wog world, whatever that may be, and most scientologists and/or scientology in general wouldn't care who got elected. Unless the person running is a scientologist.

I think that the answer to this would be different depending on if the ex was a Sea Org member, Staff member or just a public. As someone who was in the Sea Org, I never voted for anything. I wasn't ever registered and there was never time alloted to do such things.

In terms of who to vote for and what not, there tends to be a "push" to vote for those who are "pro-Scn" (if there is someone running like that). I know there was a big deal with Bush not being voted for due to some connection with Psych drugs or something like that. :confused2:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: voting

I think that the answer to this would be different depending on if the ex was a Sea Org member, Staff member or just a public. As someone who was in the Sea Org, I never voted for anything. I wasn't ever registered and there was never time alloted to do such things.

In terms of who to vote for and what not, there tends to be a "push" to vote for those who are "pro-Scn" (if there is someone running like that). I know there was a big deal with Bush not being voted for due to some connection with Psych drugs or something like that. :confused2:

While on staff, I remember another staff member had her "I voted" sticker on...and I was just pretty confused by it. I had such little contact with the outside world at the time that I was completely uneducated on all issues and candidates. It would have been idiotic of me to vote--a chicken randomly punching the ballot would get the same results. I didn't know any other staff that voted and figured that maybe her off-staff husband kept her informed, or that she wanted the tiny respite from staff. ED was real amped to have the org be a polling place for the PR and opportunity for wogs to be exposed to the promo sitting out, and this did occur at some point. Even when that happened, I don't remember staff voting.

We had the opposite Bush-stuff in our area. Most public Scios I knew were Republican and felt the Dems rewarded downstats. I also remember that after I was off staff there was some big writeup by an OT and Class VIII that was circulating among Scios about how everyone needed to vote for Bush--some big analysis of tone levels and comm level all that 'stuff' and how 1.1 Kerry was and how great Bushy was. It seemed really weird to me, but I knew Scios that were raving about how awesome it was and they were totally on board with it. I'm back to voting now that I'm out.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

Did you vote in your local elections (assuming you lived in a country that has them) while in the cult? Did you vote before you joined? After you joined? After you left?

If you've voted, did you stop voting sometime after you joined the church? If so, why?

It would seem to me that the stance of the church on politics would be the same as the stance of the church on the rest of the wog world, whatever that may be, and most scientologists and/or scientology in general wouldn't care who got elected. Unless the person running is a scientologist.

I never even heard of a local election when I was staff in Scn. So no, I didn't vote in them. I vote now.

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
I've been inspired by some of lisinpril's questions to ask one of my own.

Before people, thetans just hung around, right? Animals are only GEs? The MEST of animals isn't controlled by a thetan, is it? Are animals too stupid to have body thetans but they still get a thetan themselves?

At what point in human evolution did the body thetans swarm onto them?

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been inspired by some of lisinpril's questions to ask one of my own.

Before people, thetans just hung around, right? Animals are only GEs? The MEST of animals isn't controlled by a thetan, is it? Are animals too stupid to have body thetans but they still get a thetan themselves?

Justaguy I can't answer that question fully -- will be interested in the answer though. My impression is that Thetans will take over whatever is available -- I've heard of stories of Thetans in cat bodies for example, and people have told me about whole track recall of being a robot, or a bird . . . or a clam :wink2:

lol -- I have no idea if animals have BT's. :confused2:

:)TL

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Are you looking for what Hubbard said or didn't say on the above; or for some kind of universal truths from others (or coincidentally Hubbard too)?

Paul

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
whatever the people here believe/believed. what hubbard thought would be nice cuz it gives me clues to what some of the practicing scientologists think.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
One thing I remember...

whatever the people here believe/believed. what hubbard thought would be nice cuz it gives me clues to what some of the practicing scientologists think.

Hubbard said that some horses were "beings" and some were not. Also he alluded to some horses being quite telepathic. Both these things were and are true in my observation and experience, BTW.

FWIW.:ohmy:

EP

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
Here's one that's been bothering me for a while. I've been looking for the answer for a while, too.

Where did Thursdays at 2 PM come from? Is there special significance to it? Did Hubbard just put it into an HCOPL randomly sometime and that was that? Was there a time when Thursdays at 2 wasn't dreaded by scientologists everywhere?

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm probably not the best person to answer, since I wasn't a staffer, but that's the time all the stats for the week are due.

Scientology organizations use "stats" heavily, and there is a big push to get your stats up each week so there's always a mad rush to get things completed by Thursday at 2:00. . . I used to get desperate phone calls Thursday morning wanting me to buy my next lecture series, or auditing package.

The Org I went to was in a city and they wanted me to come in on a Wednesday night BADLY to finish a course. . . well I refused given rush hour and the fact that I was 2 hours away so the course supervisor drove in from the Org to my house (2 hours) so that he could have that completion by Thursday at 2:00. I'm guessing the poor guy had to pay all his own gas and tolls too -- but the stat was paramount and I'm sure it was worth not going to ethics.

:)TL

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's one that's been bothering me for a while. I've been looking for the answer for a while, too.

Where did Thursdays at 2 PM come from? Is there special significance to it? Did Hubbard just put it into an HCOPL randomly sometime and that was that? Was there a time when Thursdays at 2 wasn't dreaded by scientologists everywhere?

ugh...this was something that came up somewhere on the Staff Statuses (courses you do to get 'hatted' as a staff member). Many moons ago, so I'm wracking the brain a bit here. I don't remember it exactly, but it had to do with the situation that all stats were sent by telex, and in the old days there was a time lag for the communications to get across. In order for the head place (I don't remember who/where anymore) to get all the stats for the week, they took ending the Scio week at Thursday at 2:00 to ensure that everything arrived and could be analyzed or whatever. They just kept it as tradition. That's the info I read, but I can't remember what it was from.

Wisened One

Crusader
Was there a time when Thursdays at 2 wasn't anticipated intensely in either a positive or negative manner by scientologists everywhere?

I don't know, it was sort of a love/hate relationship with 2pm Thursdays...if you were downstat, you hated 2pm. If you were upstat, you loved 2pm.

For the downstats, 2:01pm was a relief as they felt they now had a whole new weeks to then become upstat (hopefully) by 2pm the next Thurs.

For the upstats, some of 'em may've felt even worse/more tense at 2:01 pm due to NOW they had to figure out and/or maintain those previous upstats AND INCREASE 'em to remain upstat the following week. :melodramatic:

Just my take...

Last edited:

justaguy

Patron Meritorious
please modify 'dreaded' in my question to 'anticipated intensely in either a positive or negative manner' :p

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
See!...you're learning!

please modify 'dreaded' in my question to 'anticipated intensely in either a positive or negative manner' :p

Consider the mischief inherent in the whole notion of weekly "stats" and you begin to see the underbelly of the beast. :unsure: :ohmy: :nervous:

It is a game that one can never "win" at consistently and brings about the worst in every participant, IMO. :grouch:

So you're either a "hero" or a "shit-hill"...once a week! :melodramatic:

You can sorta "hide"; "get creative"; "work yer ass off"; alternate between approaches, but - eventually you become obsessed with the whole shebang!

And one has to admit that it certainly keeps a body busy and occupied! :coolwink:

EP

ILived1984!

Patron with Honors

I was in the SO. I got into Scn when I was 20. I didn't vote for anything anywhere from age 18-24. Didn't really care. When I was in NYC in the SO I didn't think about voting except for the presedential campaign but had no idea where to vote and so didn't care. I wasn't a registered voter in NYC so never recieved any mail about it and definitely didn't see commeercials.

I then went to LA and got my drivers for CA and then got polictical promo. LA Org is also a polling place. That's where I started my political voting career. For the 04 Presendential campagin we were told to vote for Bush. That was covered in a post above me. All other elections I would do my own small bit of research and vote based on that.

I've been voting ever since!

ILived1984!

Patron with Honors
I don't know, it was sort of a love/hate relationship with 2pm Thursdays...if you were downstat, you hated 2pm. If you were upstat, you loved 2pm.

For the downstats, 2:01pm was a relief as they felt they now had a whole new weeks to then become upstat (hopefully) by 2pm the next Thurs.

For the upstats, some of 'em may've felt even worse/more tense at 2:01 pm due to NOW they had to figure out and/or maintain those previous upstats AND INCREASE 'em to remain upstat the following week. :melodramatic:

Just my take...

In my last few years in the SO I made a conscious effort to be relaxed on Thursday afternoons by having my stats done or worked out before Thursday morning. I was never on public lines so I didn't have that added insanity.

I decided I wasn't going to run around like a chicken with its head cut off on Thursdays and be completely out of breath at 2:00 pm.

Nope. I had it all done or was in relaxo mode and people thought I was crazy or slack. They couldn't think with efficiency. I heard of one guy quoted as saying Wednesday night only means half the week is over. i.e. He does half a week of production over one night. Like he couldn't think with time managment to get things done.

I also couln't wrap my head around weeky statistic reporting as any major establishment action or project took longer than a week or would have effects that protracted beyond a week.

The weekly stat push is one the reasons the church can't really expand like they wish it would b/c the fundamental actions and changes that need to occur take more than a week. It was a constant :banghead:

I don't know why the Thursday at 2:00 but I've heard it also had to do with pay being given out? or really getting money to management. Can't remember.

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron

I became old enough to vote while on staff. I too was way too out of touch to vote while I was on staff – while on staff you are trained to feel that if you aren’t working on something to advance the org or scn in general you were “frying other fish” and this was bad. I voted for the first time because the org was pushing staff to vote and WHO to vote for. Though a scilon my Mom did push me to make my OWN choices based on my OWN research. But there is no denying the influence scn has on your thoughts and “good scientologists” are always under the influence of what the “church” wants, deems appropriate, etc…. I vote now, I considerate a civil responsibility and an honor and I take it seriously enough to research every point I am voting on. I make my own choices based on my own research.

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
A-E are the steps that you have to do if you remain brainwashed after getting declared Suppressive.... :whistling:

Basically a series of steps that you have to do to get back into "good standing" with Scn.

A being that you are told by someone to stop "being suppressive"

B you have to give some kind of public announcement that you have "realized" that you were suppressive. Basically you are bad, COS is good.

B1 - if you owe money to any org (ie. a Freeloader bill) you have to pay those debts off

B2 - You have to "make amends", doing things such as spending more money on Scn (but not for yourself).

C -- You have to go back and re-do the beginning courses/training that you did in Scn. Basically pay for those things again.

D - Put papers together showing you did those things

E- Send to the International Justice Chief.

Woooohooo :happydance: :melodramatic:

Ahhhhh so clever. You want to be back in good standing? Then give us $$$.

Then give us more $$$. THEN MORE $$$. Just another way to beat you into submission and rip more money out of people's hands.

scientology's *new* mission statement: Make willing victims!