What's new

List Of All Ex Scientologists Who Have Spoken Out

OTBT

Patron Meritorious
Rightamundo. The first person on the list audits "Standard Tech" in the FZ as a Class VIII! Did the list say that at the outset? I didn't notice it if did.

I am certainly not saying "Scientology doesn't work" as a blanket statement. Plus I'm on the list as "Dumboldfart." Hmmm.

About the only all-embracive remark that could be made is "ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE SAYING THEY NO LONGER SUPPORT THE C OF S." Maybe. Safer just to leave off the pigeon-holing.

Paul

This is one of reasons I don't post my name in this list. I have my own reasons for not going public with my name, but it mostly has to do with people other than than myself. Sorry, I refuse to go into details.

This list is a wonderful idea. But please do not assume that the millions of exes who are are not on this list wish to make a statement. I suggest that that many exes just want to get on with their lives. It gets really complicated if you still have family still "in".

Before anyone accuses me of being being a defeatist Degraded Being defeatnik, please feel free to peruse my activist threads started on WWP. ESMB is absolutely wonderful for fence-sitters and any newly-exed (axed?), um, exes. But I am a bit more militant after all these years, and don't want to attack and upset readers and lurkers still in Doubt.

Freezoners are not my enemy. I like reading Terrill and Paul and Claire's posts, among others, but refrain from responding because I don't want to be seen as attacking if I disagree.

I really wish this forum had an "anonymous" posting function, or allowed socks. However, this is Emma's board and Emma's rules, so it's not my place to complain.

P.S. reads the links in my sig (low-toned evil SP snickering)...

Hey, for the record, I cringed when I saw the title of the list.

I would have pefered to see "List of some Exes who have spoken out". It perturbed me enough, to want to stay off the list (I thought if I stayed off it, at least the ANZOites sitting on the fence and seeing it would realise that the list was incomplete). Later I changed my mind, but I still don't feel comfortable about it.

I don't think it's just about symantics. If anything, that title works against us, and I for one would like to see it changed. It gives ammo to OSA, to those zealots still in, and it gives an incorrect picture to fence sitters looking for info.

Having only been on this board for a few months I can honestly say I don't know everyone's story and where most people stand. I personally don't want to have anything to do with Scientology and feel like most of the "good things" about it were plagiarized. But everyone is different and, as in many things in life, there are so many grey areas that often get overlooked at first glance. One person may feel strongly enough about just one thing in Scientology that helped them that saying "Scientology doesn't work" isn't true for them even if they believe 99% of it doesn't work.

Maybe I was a bit curt with Zinj but it seemed like his comments were not constructive but seemed cynical or overly picky. Anywho, I've been wrong before and maybe I misread his comments.

So how could the title be phrased to make everyone, or the majority, happy?
Sorry Carmel but I find, "List of some Exes who have spoken out" hardly a powerful or captivating list title. Maybe it doesn't need a title, just a better explanation.

"This list, while incomplete, is growing all the time and represents former Scientologists who have publicly spoken out in disagreement about Scientology or church management. Each person had a unique experience with Scientology and their stories and final feelings are different but all agree that Scientology, be it church management or the subject itself, are fundamentally wrong or corrupt and something needs to be done about it."

How's that? If people like that I can ask RightOn over on WWP to take out the terrible title and put that there instead.

Here are some more names that can be added:

Tim Underwood - Sydney staff member 79-86, and ED HCA Sydney in '90's
Greg Williams - Sydney staff member and major contributor '79 - '08
Peta O'Brien - SO member at CLO and AOSH ANZO, and field contributor
Aaron Judge - Cadet and SO member in Sydney for 15 years
Dean Detheridge - ED ACT (Australian Capital Territory) (staff member for 20 years)
Ana Deatheridge - 13 years on staff in ACT and Sydney

I know of about 15 more who may add their names - they've been contacted about it, and it'll be up to them.

I also know of another 35 or so, who have spoken out about Scn. However, in this country just about everyone googles the name of potential business associates these days, and because of this, many who have spoken out wouldn't want their names on the list - They don't want to be seen as having any association with the CofS by potential business associates.

In addition to these guys, I know or know of another 400 or so who have become exes in the last nine months, but they aren't up to letting it be known that they are out yet, mostly because of jobs or family at stake. They are speaking out though, to the public and to friends still "in" - Where they stand and their "speaking out" (despite being in the ranks of the "underground") counts for much but can't be promoted at this time. :)

Thanks for posting these Carmel! Looks like you know a heck of a lot more people than I do. How do you find time to post here? :)

This is very interesting information you provide and I'm sure that the figures of 400 or so people becoming exes in the last 9 months will be troubling for the Scilons over in Aussie land in the near future.

In regards to the specific names you posted, have they all spoken out in some public forum? Be it on a message board, or youtube, a protest, lawsuit, etc? If so, and you had links to that, it would be great. We are trying include links to things like that, especially their stories so we can put that right next to their name and people can find out more about why they left and such?

Thanks a ton for the names you have provided already!

Carmel

Crusader
Having only been on this board for a few months I can honestly say I don't know everyone's story and where most people stand. I personally don't want to have anything to do with Scientology and feel like most of the "good things" about it were plagiarized. But everyone is different and, as in many things in life, there are so many grey areas that often get overlooked at first glance. One person may feel strongly enough about just one thing in Scientology that helped them that saying "Scientology doesn't work" isn't true for them even if they believe 99% of it doesn't work.
Yeah, it's not just black or white.

Maybe I was a bit curt with Zinj but it seemed like his comments were not constructive but seemed cynical or overly picky. Anywho, I've been wrong before and maybe I misread his comments.
If you'd been on the board a bit longer, you might have read his comments differently. He's not really the mushy type when he posts, and his posts are usually brief and to the point - You've gotta be around for a bit (or on chat) to see what a mushy, caring guy he is, and to see what a gem he is in regard to support when it comes to understanding and dealing with what the CofS dishes out. :coolwink:

So how could the title be phrased to make everyone, or the majority, happy?
Sorry Carmel but I find, "List of some Exes who have spoken out" hardly a powerful or captivating list title.
Hey, i wasn't making a suggestion - I was just giving an example of something that wouldn't have made me cringe.

Maybe it doesn't need a title, just a better explanation.

"This list, while incomplete, is growing all the time and represents former Scientologists who have publicly spoken out in disagreement about Scientology or church management. Each person had a unique experience with Scientology and their stories and final feelings are different but all agree that Scientology, be it church management or the subject itself, are fundamentally wrong or corrupt and something needs to be done about it."

How's that? If people like that I can ask RightOn over on WWP to take out the terrible title and put that there instead.

It's not my call, but considering what people type into google, I'd like to see something like:

"Outspoken ex-scientologists and/or defectors of The Church of Scientology.

This list (while incomplete), includes former Scientologists who have publicly spoken out in disagreement about the Church of Scientology. Each person on this list had a unique experience with Scientology and have varying views on the tenets of Scientology. However, wherever they sit in regard to the "philosophy", they all oppose the corruption and abuse within and at the hands of the Church of Scientology, and have spoken out about it in an effort to expose it and to prevent it."

Terril park

Sponsor
Hey, for the record, I cringed when I saw the title of the list.

I would have pefered to see "List of some Exes who have spoken out". It perturbed me enough, to want to stay off the list (I thought if I stayed off it, at least the ANZOites sitting on the fence and seeing it would realise that the list was incomplete). Later I changed my mind, but I still don't feel comfortable about it.

I don't think it's just about symantics. If anything, that title works against us, and I for one would like to see it changed. It gives ammo to OSA, to those zealots still in, and it gives an incorrect picture to fence sitters looking for info.

Here are some more names that can be added:

Tim Underwood - Sydney staff member 79-86, and ED HCA Sydney in '90's
Greg Williams - Sydney staff member and major contributor '79 - '08
Peta O'Brien - SO member at CLO and AOSH ANZO, and field contributor
Aaron Judge - Cadet and SO member in Sydney for 15 years
Dean Detheridge - ED ACT (Australian Capital Territory) (staff member for 20 years)
Ana Deatheridge - 13 years on staff in ACT and Sydney

I know of about 15 more who may add their names - they've been contacted about it, and it'll be up to them.

I also know of another 35 or so, who have spoken out about Scn. However, in this country just about everyone googles the name of potential business associates these days, and because of this, many who have spoken out wouldn't want their names on the list - They don't want to be seen as having any association with the CofS by potential business associates.

In addition to these guys, I know or know of another 400 or so who have become exes in the last nine months, but they aren't up to letting it be known that they are out yet, mostly because of jobs or family at stake. They are speaking out though, to the public and to friends still "in" - Where they stand and their "speaking out" (despite being in the ranks of the "underground") counts for much but can't be promoted at this time. :)

Carmel, this is some fantastic stats here from Oz!

Carmel

Crusader
Thanks for posting these Carmel! Looks like you know a heck of a lot more people than I do. How do you find time to post here? :)
I'm not still in touch with all these people, but I knew them all once, or introduced them into scn in the first place. We have a network of friends and we use it. I speak to person A. Person A speaks to person B. Person B speaks to person C. I knew or worked with person B and C, so I smile when I hear back from them, or hear from person A that they are now out. Clearly there would be people "out" who I know nothing about.

This is very interesting information you provide and I'm sure that the figures of 400 or so people becoming exes in the last 9 months will be troubling for the Scilons over in Aussie land in the near future.
It's already taking its toll over here, and it's all good.

In regards to the specific names you posted, have they all spoken out in some public forum? Be it on a message board, or youtube, a protest, lawsuit, etc? If so, and you had links to that, it would be great. We are trying include links to things like that, especially their stories so we can put that right next to their name and people can find out more about why they left and such?
Yes, given the criterion you've given above, they have all spoken out.

What about others though, who have spoken out to OSA, to Scn Zealots, to fence sitters and proclaimed where they sit to one and all they come by, but who have not yet posted on a public forum or the likes? Would they too not fit the bill for the list?

Thanks a ton for the names you have provided already!
Hey, good on you for contributing to making the list! :thumbsup:

byte301

Crusader
Hell...I'm quite impressed that all your posts haven't been simply tons of:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: after how this thread went down. It's all good...well, IMHO, but I don't count for that much when it comes down to it:D

LOL I would never hit my head like that due to a Zinj post. I got what he meant and he's a sweetie pie no matter what he posts.:p

And to anyone out there that doesn't want to or can't post their names...IT'S OKAY!!! It's totally voluntary, like I've said over 9,000 times now! :melodramatic:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
awwww....

LOL I would never hit my head like that due to a Zinj post. I got what he meant and he's a sweetie pie no matter what he posts.:p

And to anyone out there that doesn't want to or can't post their names...IT'S OKAY!!! It's totally voluntary, like I've said over 9,000 times now! :melodramatic:

Nah...I'm not blaming it all on a Zinj post. I just kinda felt like you went into this whole thing with pretty awesome intentions, and stuff sorta blew up on the title of the list, what the list included...etc. and etc. to death. I understand those who have issues with it; I just felt bad for ya cuz it seemed like you felt you were going in feeling good about the whole thing (rightly so), and well....I won't rehash the thread, but just wanted to let you know that I appreciate what you were trying to do. (I'm suddenly having an 80s flashback and Triumph's "Fight the Good Fight" is going through my head"--I hear Scientology can handle that:D )

I also should be added to the list.

Here's my story with my declare notice: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=5772

Go ahead and use all of my names while in the CofS - Kathy Hubbard (maiden) Plecas (1st married name) Dawson (2nd married name) Cochran (current married name). I only answer to Kathy Cochran. LOL!!!

I'm also seeing a counselor (I'm so bad).:p http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=10816

Great Kathy! I posted your name over on WWP. It should be added soon.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
If I weren't a total failure as a computer nerd I'd do this myself but:

Could someone add a link to my story here on ESMB plus add "OT III, Ordained Minister, Staff Status IV, Exec Status One, Professor of Scientology, Cl V & FPRD Aud, Cl IV & fully trained Narconon C/S, over twenty years on org staff."

Opter

Silver Meritorious Patron
If I weren't a total failure as a computer nerd I'd do this myself but:

Could someone add a link to my story here on ESMB plus add "OT III, Ordained Minister, Staff Status IV, Exec Status One, Professor of Scientology, Cl V & FPRD Aud, Cl IV & fully trained Narconon C/S, over twenty years on org staff."

Very impressive credentials.:yes: Huge loss for the cult.:happydance:

Opter