What's new

Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Cambridge Mission Demolition Photos

I just came across these photos of the demolition of the building the old Cambridge mission was in. They date back to the spring of 1987. I'd lived in the neighborhood for several years at this point and it struck me to memorialize part of the area that was being destroyed so out I rushed with my camera.

The location is Essex St., Central Square, a bustling multi-racial, multi-ethnic neighborhood considered the "downtown" of Cambridge. This period of the '80's was experiencing a real estate boom so the owner of this entire block had plans to entirely demolish half the block from Massachusetts Ave. all the way down Essex to the next street. The row houses that the mission was in were the only buildings demolished before the boom turned to bust. The huge development never happened and after a few years the buildings on Mass. Ave. were renovated and are in use to this day.

The first two photos show the wrecking crane at work. The building was 3 connected row houses. The two on the right side (in the process of being torn down) were the mission which was connected by a doorway cut through the brick wall separating the two units. The left side unit was some sort of psychotherapy counseling center call, I think, "Greenhouse". Talk about odd-couple neighbors!

The third photo is the lot after the demolition was complete. Years later this was turned into a parking lot.

The fourth photo shows Mass. Ave. (main thoroughfare), the front side of the buildings in photo three.

(This is my first time posting photos so any hints for the future are welcome.)

Attachments

• CambMission-1.jpg
    CambMission-1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 107
  • CambMission-2.jpg
    CambMission-2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CambMission-3.jpg
    CambMission-3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 95
  • CentralSq.jpg
    CentralSq.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 110

Nomad

Patron with Honors
Weird to see the building being torn down. Does let me know what happened to it. I think when we moved out of it we went to the second floor of one of the buildings on Mass Ave, the white on just left of center sure seems to ring a bell, but I am not positive. After I left they moved again to another city/town where rents were cheaper.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
ex husband, isn't he? She was in OSA Boston and he was something like Qual Sec. Then she went into the SO and I think he left staff. They had a really cute kid. Probably all grown up by now.

Yes, Peter and Toni are divorced. They have a daughter named Marie who was born with Spina Bifida, but seemed to be OK.

I had heard that Marie, who must be 27 or 28 right now, joined the Sea Org when she was 12 or 13 years old.

I don't know her current status.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Does anyone remember "HiFi Towers?" Right in Central Square there is or was a pizza place called HiFi Pizza. Above it was a bunch of apartments. Scientology staff had rented out at least 3 of the apartments. Already low rent, but double or triple up on bedrooms and it became almost affordable even for staff. I never lived there, but so many staff served a term there. Actually, I stayed one night in one of the apartments there, on the floor of Cary Goulston's room. There were so many dirty clothes, you could literally not see the floor. And the kitchen was massively roach infested. But other times I had the occasion to visit there, it was cleaned up a bit. Depended on who lived there at the time.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Does anyone remember "HiFi Towers?"

I was trying to suppress that memory. ;)
But I do remember. I served a short term there, in an apt with Paul Collins and a couple others. (By the way, what became of Paul Collins?)
The roaches from the Pizza place on the ground floor would come up to visit on a regular basis, and apparently enjoyed our company very much. While living there I spoke to a friend of mine who was in a very bad situation living with an Aunt in CT and I had her come up there as well. She did the Comm Course at the Church and ended up working there for some time. Her name was "Deena" for anyone who might remember her. After some time she went and lived with Joe Fougere (?) with Narconon who lived in a great neighborhood in Nahant right on the water. But we only lived in HiFi Towers very briefly and all of us were very suddenly evicted apparently due to non-payment. It was kind of shocking as I had no idea that the existing tenants were behind in their rent payments and I didn't really have money to get into another place. I ended up living IN the church for some time. (not very comfortable accommodations ;)
OK, I was just looking at what I read.........If parts of it are out of sequence I apologize, but I just woke up a short while ago and my caffiene levels are down to dangerously low levels.

Last edited:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I lived in HiFi with several others. Brian Oulighan, Steve Sidari, Jeff Mahler, Nitza Freeman and I think there were some others sleeping in shifts. The bugs were gross. When in the shower: DON'T LOOK UP. I tried to keep the lights on in the kitchen so I didn't have to come in to scuttling roaches in the morning. Nice walk to work, though.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Long story, boils down to etymological roots. Basically, it boils down to an idea like "tailored to needs". I was putting together a program called "Upgrade" back when I was a FreeZoner, and trying to put together a secular variation on the grade chart that I thought would be useful as an alternative to a prison program.

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Long story, boils down to etymological roots. Basically, it boils down to an idea like "tailored to needs". I was putting together a program called "Upgrade" back when I was a FreeZoner, and trying to put together a secular variation on the grade chart that I thought would be useful as an alternative to a prison program.

Ok thanks for letting me know. When I first joined this forum and saw you had an Avatar of a women and called yourself Uniquemand I thought it meant that you were a transvestite. I don't think that now though.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Paul Collins was a total renegade. Used to make his own schedule. Come in late, stay late, work weekends, disappear for a day or two now and then. Always seemed to get away with it too. People got pissed off, but I don't remember him ever really getting in trouble. I think because he was the only one who really knew how the Addo machine worked - an ancient monstrocity, quite literally held together with rubber bands, paperclips, sheet metal and duct tape.

Anyway, he finally left some time in the 90's. Went back home to... maybe Minneapolis, something like that. I remember a couple years later, a recruit mission was in the org and had recruited some day org staff member for the SO. They needed a replacement. Someone actually got in contact with Paul and supposedly convinced him to come back to Boston, get back on staff and be this person's replacement. They bought a plane ticket for him. Since that was "all handled", the other staff member was sent off to the Sea Org. Someone was sent to the airport to pick up Paul, and surprise surprise, he wasn't on the plane. :) Don't think he was ever heard from again after that. I imagine he was laughing too hard.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I remember Paul Collins and you're right he was kind of a renegade. I remember when he left. His contract was up and he just disappeared! I didn't know they had found him again and I'm real happy he never went back. That guy would have some good stories to tell as he handled all the telex traffic.

I don't remember Deena, but I do remember Joe Fougere and that great place he had in Nahant. Joe and I became close friends, but now that I am an evil SP he will no longer talk to me. :(

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
I hope some of you Bostonians are coming to the East Coast SP Party.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=12220

If you have security concerns I understand but I should also add that I have a big fenced in back yard. If you took the train to New London, I could pick you up and bring you to my house and you could just hang out in the back.

The last time some stranger tried to hang around my neighbor and just watch what was going on, the neighbor watch committee went into an uproar and reported to the police that they thought a pedo was hanging around. LOL. The guy left in a hurry. Plus I think OSA is too busy with all their Hill 10's to bother with a bunch of people having fun at a party.

Then there's always the idea of not letting Scn have any wins by stopping you from meeting with and having fun with other Ex's. Don't let Scn continue to control your life. If you want to come, let me know.

bluewiggirl

Patron Meritorious
Pooks: I know a lot of the bostonanons want to try to make it, I'll make sure to poke them before the end of the month to get you RSVPs and moneys.

Also, I sent you a PM on WWP. I dunno how often you check there.

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
Pooks: I know a lot of the bostonanons want to try to make it, I'll make sure to poke them before the end of the month to get you RSVPs and moneys.

Also, I sent you a PM on WWP. I dunno how often you check there.

Thanks BWG, I think it will be fun party! Especially with Boston people there!

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
FACEBOOK

I was just over on facebook and found a hundred or so pixf Boston Scios.

I did a search for Carol Renna, the PES Boston Fnd and then clicked on all her "friends". Here's a few oldies.

Elaine Merkel

n1020302772_827.jpg

Besty Bartlett

n1037552728_3639.jpg

Sue Burkey<--- was married to Alan Klebanoff

n1149244244_2346.jpg

Don Dewsnap

n1025116622_3120.jpg

Jeannie Scoglio

n622053507_8922.jpg

Jeff Mahler

n1028671813_9212.jpg

Joe Fougere

n1400445936_7586.jpg

John Magerowski

[IMG]http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/v226/1522/51/n1601737685_8497.jpg

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Addo machine worked - an ancient monstrocity, quite literally held together with rubber bands, paperclips, sheet metal and duct tape.

Someone was sent to the airport to pick up Paul, and surprise surprise, he wasn't on the plane. :) Don't think he was ever heard from again after that. I imagine he was laughing too hard.

Good Paul Collins story. Paul, if you're lurking on this board somewhere I'd love to hear from you!

And I know you're not exagerating about the Addo machine. I watched Paul in action "fixing" it with rubber bands, paperclips, etc.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
That guy would have some good stories to tell as he handled all the telex traffic.

I don't remember Deena, but I do remember Joe Fougere and that great place he had in Nahant. Joe and I became close friends, but now that I am an evil SP he will no longer talk to me. :(

I also handled telex traffic too for some time (for Foundation Org) and also hand delivered all the mail as well from the baskets.

Deena was only around less than a year and not a contracted staff member but did some "volunteer" work for Carolyn Hamm in HCO, writing letters and other stuff. I think she may have helped Joe at Narconan a bit too when she moved there. I would had also moved with her to Nahant as I absolutely loved that town but didn't have a car and couldn't arrange dependable rides to get back and forth. Also Bobby Wiggins was living with them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.