What's new

Scientology is creating cold and heartless people

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron
In my opinion Scientology is creating very cold and heartless people. In their PR videos they claim to be experts of live.
I think it is exactly the opposite - Scientologists are so very far away from the real life full of joy and love.
How could we call this? I can't find a word for this "condition" May you please help me to create a word for it.
As a contrapoint to the false PR videos of the Church of Scientology let us find some true videos full of real life and post them here on this thread.
I will start with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMZ8C-h1xuQ

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBnqttOkFU

Oh man i love it!

Markus

Last edited:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
It is true that many scientologists think that the ideal state is one where they do not express emotion, as it is considered (wrongly) to be a weakness or evidence of a weakness (being human).

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
It is true that many scientologists think that the ideal state is one where they do not express emotion, as it is considered (wrongly) to be a weakness or evidence of a weakness (being human).

I agree Scientologist and in particular the SO... for to show any emotion ... from their viewpoint would be a sign of weakness... it's easier for this cold hearted group to label any emotion as misemotion... and so they can disconnect from the real world :yes: and not take 'Full Responsibility' (Hubbard's definition in Advance Procedures & Axioms) for their fellow SO members, Scientologist and the man on the street .... this group must have misunderstoods or something ... :coolwink:

It's back to reading The Basics for this group :lol:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I love that too, Markus! They have no idea what they are giving up by being "true believers" do they?

-TL

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
One of the most coherent explanations of how people become evil that I've heard was when they adopt 'the ends justifies the means' as a way to justify their behavior.

Scientology 'ethics' of the greater good for the greater number of dynamics is just a way to rationalize the end justifies the means. I've actually heard high level scios opinion that it would be 'for the greatest good' to murder someone!

I mean, if you think like that, you can justify anything if it in anyway furthers the aims of the cult.

Last edited:

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of the most coherent explanations of how people become evil that I've heard was when they adopt 'the ends justifies the means' as a way to justify their behavior.

Scientology 'ethics' of the greater good for the greater number of dynamics is just a way to rationalize the end justifies the means. I've actually heard high level scios opinion that it would be 'for the greatest good' to murder someone!

I mean, if you think like that, you can justify anything if it in anyway furthers the aims of the cult.

Rmack that's exactly the conclusion that I came to as well. I remember actually buying in to that ends-justify-means thinking when I realized that LRH's "PR" about Scientology encompassing all religions was different from his actual views. . . the idea of "acceptable truth". You are right -- you can justify anything that way. It's very scary.

-TL

lkwdblds

Crusader
Sort of like Spock in the "Star Trek" series

I know exactly what Markus is talking about. It is an attitide that it is inappropriate to have fun or enjoy oneself because conditions are so bad here or Earth. The ones who display this attitude seem to feel that having a good time pursuing something other than Scientology is "off purpose" at best and "out ethics" for the most part. Their attitude is that by being heartless, they are doing KSW and are putting in your ethics and getting you back on purpose.

Uniquemand's comment on not expressing emotion reminds me of the Spock character on the old "Star Trek" series. He was from the "Vulcan" race from another planet and Vulcan's thought everything out logically and were not capable of feeling emotion. Spock was only 1/2 Vulcan and 1/2 human so he could occasionally sense emotion and when he did, he felt it was a flaw he possessed.

I can't think of any one word in English to describe this. How about coining the word "SPOCKIAN" That is almost a perfect fit because dedicated Scientologists do have emotional feelings but learn to suppress them in their Scn indoctrination process but occasionally, like Spock, a good emotion may come out and often when it does, their Senior will jump all over them for being reasonable.

As far as English words (and phrases), I am looking at heartless, cold hearted, automaton, robotic, stoic, dedicatedness in the extreme, unreasonable in the extreme, non sympathetic, "no nonesense". I think the Scientologists who exhibit this type of approach to life might call it a "no nonsense" view of life or in modern jargon, a "no bullshit" approach to life. If such a person found another Scientologist having fun while on post, he might tell him to "knock off the bullshit" The best words or phrases to me are "heartless", "cold hearted", "no bullshit" and "Spockian" but a lot of people might be too young for Star Trek and may not relate that word.

Its funny because when I got into Scientology in 1970 with the CCLA crew, we had a lot of fun. The old maxim was often uttered at that time, "If it isn't fun it isn't Scientology." Our Commanding Officer Yvonne Jentzch practiced that and showed the emotion of compassion when it was appropriate. That Org grew like wilfire and became a powerhouse network of Orgs which shows that having fun can be accomplished and lead to growth and expansion.
lkwdblds
P.S. MichelleAsWell's comment on my post caused me to come up with "Inappropriate Seriousness" How about that!

Last edited:

MichelleAsWell

Patron with Honors
Uniquemand's comment on not expressing emotion reminds me of the Spock character on the old "Star Trek" series. He was from the "Klingon" race from another planet and Klingon's thought everything out logically and were not capable of feeling emotion. Spock was only 1/2 Klingon and 1/2 human so he could occasionally sense emotion and when he did, he felt it was a flaw he possessed.

blds

yeah, but Spock was rational/logical.
and he was a Vulcan :duh:

I think the word we're looking for here is sociopath.

lkwdblds

Crusader
thanks

yeah, but Spock was rational/logical.
and he was a Vulcan :duh:

I think the word we're looking for here is sociopath.

Thanks for the correction, I am going to edit it now. I guess my memory is starting to go in my later years - that's 2 errors I've made relying on memory this week. Cute comment about Spock being rational/logical, still the term SPOCKIAN fits in describing a non emotional approach to life. Probably, the Scientologists who think having fun is off purpose are being rational according to their belief system and how they have been indoctrinated, Their being inappropriately serious is more the result of accepting bad indoctrination than their inate ability to be rational. Hey "unappropriate seriousness" is another excellent term for the trait we are trying to descibe
lkwdblds

Last edited:

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Still searching for the word...

In my opinion Scientology is creating very cold and heartless people. In their PR videos they claim to be experts of live.
I think it is exactly the opposite - Scientologists are so very far away from the real life full of joy and love.
How could we call this? I can't find a word for this "condition" May you please help me to create a word for it.
As a contrapoint to the false PR videos of the Church of Scientology let us find some true videos full of real life and post them here on this thread.
I will start with this

...snip...

Oh man i love it!

Markus

Another powerful pair! :biglove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3OgoOzbK4

EP

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Thank You

Markus, thank you for the beautiful music. I think a good word for the ones who can not enjoy this music or other beautiful things that life offers is "heartless". Just think about all that they are missing!

Dark Phoenix

Patron Meritorious
I think Edward Lottick, father of Noah Lottick, put it quite accurately when he said Scientology is "a school for psychopaths".

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemuria

Patron with Honors
Nah, I wouldn't say that about all Sea Org members

Just because they happen to call themselves Scientologist doesn't mean they are up-tone.

Robotic, wooden TRs are just bad. You need to show affinity and interest in the face, to even pass a TRs course.

ChronicEnturbulator

Patron with Honors
Uniquemand's comment on not expressing emotion reminds me of the Spock character on the old "Star Trek" series. He was from the "Vulcan" race from another planet and Vulcan's thought everything out logically and were not capable of feeling emotion. Spock was only 1/2 Vulcan and 1/2 human so he could occasionally sense emotion and when he did, he felt it was a flaw he possessed.

I can't think of any one word in English to describe this. How about coining the word "SPOCKIAN" That is almost a perfect fit because dedicated Scientologists do have emotional feelings but learn to suppress them in their Scn indoctrination process but occasionally, like Spock, a good emotion may come out and often when it does, their Senior will jump all over them for being reasonable.
Except, Spock had a sense of honor and a very well-developed sense of right-and-wrong. Even the mirror-mirror version Spock tried to do the right thing despite being "counter intention" for his universe.

(btw: the mirror-mirror version of earth is pretty close to how I imagine a "Scientology-cleared" earth government would be like. Where might-makes-right and where the ends always justify the means.)

Just what I was thinking. Vulcans good, Borg bad.

Was it Arnie who said; "If you cross a Borg with a Feringie you get a scientologist?" :whistling:

I take exception to this! (although, I can see what you mean by it...)

Anonymous are the Borg with a sense of humor:

WE ARE ANONYMOUS.

LOWER YOUR SHIELDS AND OPEN YOUR FORUMS. WE WILL ADD YOUR MEMES AND HUMOROUS DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

ElenaP

Patron
I think the best name for this is ROBOT!

Programmed to think in certain way, in Scientologic logic, by which it draws conclusions and acts authomatically in given situation. No need of emotions, when you have a predetermined solution to any problem and situation in life.

:lol:

FinallyFree

Gold Meritorious Patron
I see exactly what you mean. I saw it in myself and I see it in friends and family still in. There is a cold heartedness there. It's hard to describe I think unless you have experienced it. For instance - on anything going seriously wrong with someone what is the first thing, as a scientologist, that would be used to explain what is going on?

That's right. "he (or she) pulled it in". or "they are PTS" it removes our humanity by replacing what should be empathy and genuine concern with an excuse to step over the fallen, ignore them and continue on. Definitely part of the trap of scientology - well laid and camouflaged.

lkwdblds

Crusader
Good point

Except, Spock had a sense of honor and a very well-developed sense of right-and-wrong. Even the mirror-mirror version Spock tried to do the right thing despite being "counter intention" for his universe.
(
I take exception to this! (although, I can see what you mean by it...)

You make a good point. I guess SPOCKIAN is not such a great word afterall because, though spock had that one trait in common with Scientologists, the rest of his traits were totally dissimilar to theirs.

I think "sociopath" suggested above is a little too strong and though close to the target, doesn't quite hit it. Maybe "cold hearted" is the best so far but it doesn't have much of a kick to it. Something better probably exists.
lkwdblds

Last edited: