What's new

The Little Thread Which Grew - the Apollo '73 to Everything But

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
Going Further South

Having met your dog I guess he's your reg. :)

Screw Les dane and such wusie sales techs.

" Sign now or I'll bite your ass " is far more effective from an Alpha dog.

As the CO$ continues its dwindling spiral south I wouldn't be surprised

if they start using two pit bulls to hold you until you surrender the full wallet.:omg:

lkwdblds

Crusader
More Go See Cal

Wow, a bit of nostalgia. Last I saw, Cal still does the commercials, but they're all green-screened - pretty much phoned in.

Another Cal Worthington jingle -

"If you're looking for a better set of wheels,
I'll stand upon my head to beat all deals.
I'll stand upon my head till my ears are turning red,
Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see Cal!

Lakey

Parks and Rec

When I needed a little space, and I didn't have time to drive to the beach or the mountains, I'd drive up Alvarado to Sunset, to the right, past the Pioneer Chicken stand, and left on Douglas. There at the top of the hill to the south a bit was Elysian Park. It backed Chavez Ravine (Dodger Stadium), and overlooked the City of Angels to the west. It was a good place to go for a quickie and view the submarine races too.

For movies, without going to Hollywood or Westwood Village, there was the theater across the street from MacArthur Park. I think it was called the Liberty. For some reason, (probably all the Scientologists patronizing it) it had new movies. It was cheap and nearby.

I would time finishing a section of the briefing course on Thursday morning around 2 AM. They would let me skip going to course for Thursday, so I would head to the May Company, LaBrea Tar Pits and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I just loved looking at all of the paintings and sculpture.

When I was doing OT levels, I escaped to Disneyland.

On weekends Venice Beach was a great place to gravitate to. Sailing a Hobie cat out of Long Beach was blast too.

I used to go rock climbing on Sundays out in the rocky peaks of Simi Valley.

I wish I had known about the Hot Rod Museum in the Fairplex in Pomona, but I didn't.

The other thing I liked about LA, in that time period, was KMPC, 710 on the AM dial. It was a Gene Autry station, and he hired the best DJs - one's with personality. Gary Owens, Jim Lange, Geoff Edwards, Wink Martindale, Kathy Gorey (all night) and the Angels broadcasts. It was always entertaining.

Here is a Robert W. Morgan Christmas broadcast (just listen for five minutes):

http://www.710kmpc.com/RWM-KMPC-12-23-83.mp3

Gary Bryan, on K-Earth plays the story of the Christmas angel every year. Awwww:)

after the story of the Christmas angel, Robert W. plays Hudson and Landry "Ajax Liquor"

Does anyone remember "Emperor Hudson"? - was that KRLA?

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader
Parks and Rec

When I needed a little space, and I didn't have time to drive to the beach or the mountains, I'd drive up Alvarado to Sunset, to the right, past the Pioneer Chicken stand, and left on Douglas. There at the top of the hill to the south a bit was Elysian Park. It backed Chavez Ravine (Dodger Stadium), and overlooked the City of Angels to the west. It was a good place to go for a quickie and view the submarine races too.

For movies, without going to Hollywood or Westwood Village, there was the theater across the street from MacArthur Park. I think it was called the Liberty. For some reason, (probably all the Scientologists patronizing it) it had new movies. It was cheap and nearby.

I would time finishing a section of the briefing course on Thursday morning around 2 AM. They would let me skip going to course for Thursday, so I would head to the May Company, LaBrea Tar Pits and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I just loved looking at all of the paintings and sculpture

What about the Jewish district on Fairfax, north of Wilshire, did you ever visit Canter's Deli. It was a celebrity hang out in the older days of the 30's, 40's and 50's.

When I was doing OT levels, I escaped to Disneyland.

Carmelo, did you ever make it to the nearby Knott's Berry Farm? Also, in those days there was a Japanese Deer Park with a petting zoo that has long since disappeared also out near Orange County..

On weekends Venice Beach was a great place to gravitate to. Sailing a Hobie cat out of Long Beach was blast too.

I used to go rock climbing on Sundays out in the rocky peaks of Simi Valley.

I wish I had known about the Hot Rod Museum in the Fairplex in Pomona, but I didn't.

The other thing I liked about LA, in that time period, was KMPC, 710 on the AM dial. It was a Gene Autry station, and he hired the best DJs - one's with personality. Gary Owens, Jim Lange, Geoff Edwards, Wink Martindale, Kathy Gorey (all night) and the Angels broadcasts. It was always entertaining.

Here is a Robert W. Morgan Christmas broadcast (just listen for five minutes):

http://www.710kmpc.com/RWM-KMPC-12-23-83.mp3

I was and still am an avid Angel's baseball fan and always listened to KMPC, owned by Gene Autry. Who can ever forget Robert W. Morgan, he was so much fun to listen to. God, WInk Martindale, what an Icon. He had a Dance Show on TV in the late 1950's which I watched and he is still around over 50 years later. Now past 75 years old, he still is thin and youthful looking and still projects a youth image on the game shows he hosts and the commercials he makes. What a guy? Just imagine being broadcasting all those years and still appearing youthful!

Gary Bryan, on K-Earth plays the story of the Christmas angel every year. Awwww:)

after the story of the Christmas angel, Robert W. plays Hudson and Landry "Ajax Liquor"

Does anyone remember "Emperor Hudson"? - was that KRLA?

I don't remember him. Did you ever listen to Bill Balance, he was very funny, similar to Robert W.. I don't know if he was ever on KMPC. I remember hearing him of KFWB before they went to an all news format. After that change by KFWB, he may have landed on KMPC.

Carmelo, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane! Your post is very nostalgic.
I'd like to comment on some of the places you mentioned.

Parks - I never made it up to Elysian Park. I imagine it was very beautiful. You are up high and have a great view of the City. What about Macarthur Park, right on Wilshire and Alvarado. It had a pretty man made lake and in earlier days one could rent motor boats and cruise the Lake. There were homeless type people there and people on soap boxes preaching nonsense.

Movies - Staff used to go to the place you mentioned on their "libs", which was one day every week at CCLA, not one day every two weeks as on the Apollo. I did not know the name was the Liberty. I only went there once. If you went all the way up Vermont to Los Feliz Blvd, there was an art theater which I used to go to before I joined Scn. They showed stuff such as Citizen Kane and the Ingmar Bergman and Frederico Fellini type of films.

The Tar Pits and Museum of Art area is still going strong. Of course May Company was bought out by Macy's only about 2 years ago. The Art Museum is now called LACMA, L.A. County Museum of Art is expanded and better than ever. There is the Peterson Automotive Museum right on the Soutwest Corner of Wilshire and Fairfax which was not there in the 70's.

The Venice Beach area and its neighboring Santa Monica Pier was and is still a great area to tour in L.A. At one time Venice Beach contained "Muscle Beach" with all the body builders and it had a pier with carnival type booths and games and Santa Monica Pier had "Pacific Ocean Park" back in the 1970's. I think Muscle Beach is still there but the other stuff is gone. Still there is a lot of interesting new stuff in the area to replace what is gone.

Yes, L.A. was a colorful and charming City back then. Even in earlier days, my Father, who died in 2002 at age 88 told me that when he was in his early twenties, around 1935 and lived in Central L.A., the way he met girls was to take the "Red Car", an electrified streetcar from downtown L.A., down alongside Venice Blvd. all the way to Venice beach and Santa Monica. There was the Aragon Ball Room in Santa Monica that featured all the big bands of the era such as Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller, etc., playing live. and a guy could buy dance tickets for 10 cents each (women got in free) and then you could dance with girls to the big bands and if you hit it off with someone, you could walk out of the Ballroom and turn South and walk together to Venice Beach or turn North and walk to the Santa Monica Pier. There were plenty of hot dog stands and hamburger joints if you wanted to go for coffee or a bite to eat. THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!
Lakey

Last edited:

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
All this reminiscing about Tommy's has given me indigestion. 'Scuse me while I find my antacids. :flamed:

Added: Ah, ha! Post #666, licensed to be wicked!

Parks,Rec & Dining Yesterday and Today

Mac Arthur Park in the early years must have been beautiful. I was never particularly enthralled by the sight of the guy telling non stop jokes to the mirror, the woman with the orange hair wig with the mud in it, or all of the open sores on display.

It was a gay pickup hangout. The bathrooms especially. Nowadays they hang out on the road into Griffith Park by the trains.

The May Company store on the Miracle Mile of Wilshire was a great store in the 60s and 70s. Parking in the huge garage was easy. Shopping for nice things was something I was getting into. It was a time of safety and havingness. The store building is now owned by County Museum.

I like watching the tar bubble to the surface of the grass.

I remember rekindling a romance with an old lover while walking with my dog in the rain around the Tar Pits park and wandering the museum and the May Company. I'll never forget making out in the May Company garage.

I happened to be there a couple of springs ago, in the rain, with my current dog. The confluence of similarities got me crying in my car for an hour.

Peterson's Auto Museum is a definite "must see" these days. Especially at Christmas (and Chanukah), there are so many unique T shirts and chotskies that you can't get anywhere else.

Knott's Berry Farm was always second fiddle to Disneyland. I liked the Ghost Town section. There was the area where gravity was sideways. The berry products were (and are) very good.

If you listened to the Robert W. segment, the next bit was Hudson and Landry where they mention the Japanese Deer Park ("where Bambi goes, nothing grows"). Isn't the place with the knights in armor and jousting where the park used to be?

The other theater I went to often was the Nuart on Santa Monica Blvd., just west of the 405. It still plays foreign films.

In this century, I like wandering the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, crossing over PCH and running the path from the Santa Monica Pier to Malibu and back.

On any given week end, I can still run into people I know at Venice Beach roller blading or bike riding.

Newport Beach is more dog friendly though. Dogs are allowed before 9 and after 4. my dog run straight for the water whenever we get there. There is a little hole in the wall cafe right on the beach that is a great place to grab good quick food to eat on the beach.

As for delis, there's a lot of Jews in LA, and there's a lot of great delis. Jerry's is our favorite.

My favs, in dining, were and are Japan Town for sushi and tempura

Roach coaches in the morning in Brentwood for the workers in the houses and construction projects. There is nothing like a breakfast burrito from a roach coach.

There used to be, maybe still is, an Italian restaurant ---- I think it was on Ventura Blvd. near Cahuenga where waiters sing opera. We loved that place. food was good too.

Cabo Wabo is good food and fun in Century City.

The Juice Club, which became Jamba Juice in Brentwood is a great place to hang out and see and be seen.

Whether we are talking locations in the Valley, Brentwood, or Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, The Cheesecake Factory cannot be beat.

in the 60s and 70s we'd go to the Sunset Strip. At the Troubador, I saw Jackson Browne, before he was famous. He was friend of a friend. I remember sitting next to Bill Cosby,who was smoking a big stogie at the Whiskey.

the Angelique billboards (maybe that was the 80s)

I'll leave you with this:

The stairs in the Laurel and Hardy movie, "The Piano Movers" is over off Sunset near the Silver lake district. They are worth a visit. They are very impressive. I would imagine googling all those items would get you the location. It has been a long while. Show the movie to grandkids, and then take them there. Those people were super human.

Ted

Gold Meritorious Patron
Mac Arthur Park in the early years must have been beautiful. [...]

I remember rekindling a romance with an old lover while walking with my dog in the rain around the Tar Pits park and wandering the museum and the May Company. I'll never forget making out in the May Company garage.

I happened to be there a couple of springs ago, in the rain, with my current dog. The confluence of similarities got me crying in my car for an hour.

[...]

Carmelo my dear,

Your heartfelt reminiscing is much appreciated having conjured some interesting images. However, you might wish to consult with your editor before posting. The above paragraph can be read at least four different ways, none are flattering to you or your former lover, but your dog might not mind the comparison. :omg:

Carmelo my dear,

Your heartfelt reminiscing is much appreciated having conjured some interesting images. However, you might wish to consult with your editor before posting. The above paragraph can be read at least four different ways, none are flattering to you or your former lover, but your dog might not mind the comparison. :omg:

Ted,
you are so right!
Thank you for the grammar lesson.
Carmelo

run your red pencil over this:

I took my dog, Q, to the park by the La Brea Tar
Pits and the LA County Museum of Art, and to the
(former) May Company store

in the rain, we walked and played

back in the spring of 1976, I took my dog, Harold to
the park by the La Brea Tar Pits , and I parked in the
May Company parking garage

I met my old love there

in the rain, we walked and talked and Harold played

Ex was married, but there was a chemistry
that I didn't ignore. We kissed n the May Company
parking garage.

Ex went back to Santa Cruz. I was on the briefing
course.

We wrote a lot of letters and sent a lot of telepathic
heat to one another.

Ex came down to LA, where I lived. Ex moved in with
me.

Eventually, Ex went back to Santa Cruz and marriage.

The other day in the rain I cried and sobbed for
hours.

One of these days, or lifetimes, I'd really like to
get this right.

The movies, "Casablanca" and "Gone With the Wind"
always make me cry too.

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader
Great reminiscences!

Mac Arthur Park in the early years must have been beautiful. I was never particularly enthralled by the sight of the guy telling non stop jokes to the mirror, the woman with the orange hair wig with the mud in it, or all of the open sores on display.

Didn't the guy talking to himself in the mirror often ride his motor bike down 8th street right in front of the centre. Was that the same guy? When he came to a stop light and we staff were on the corner waiting to cross, we could hear him and he got into some very heated arguments with himself! I also remember the woman with the Orange hair wig. Priceless memories.

It was a gay pickup hangout. The bathrooms especially. Nowadays they hang out on the road into Griffith Park by the trains.

The May Company store on the Miracle Mile of Wilshire was a great store in the 60s and 70s. Parking in the huge garage was easy. Shopping for nice things was something I was getting into. It was a time of safety and havingness. The store building is now owned by County Museum.

I took a date to the Japanese restaurant inside the May Co. I believe, in 1966. It was my first experience eating Japenese food. I think they had the chef there at your table with the grill on the table and the chef juggling knives and such. You know, come to think of it, I think that place was the first Benihana's in L.A.!

I like watching the tar bubble to the surface of the grass.

Remember Harry Belafonte's song Come back Lisa,come back girl, "Wipe a tear from me eye." In an hour, I guess you had a lot of tears. Nostalgia has the ability to cause tears, no question of it. Did you ever see the movie "Madame X" staring Lana Turner. They handed out kleenex as you entered and I think I used the entire box. What a tear jerker that movie is.

Peterson's Auto Museum is a definite "must see" these days. Especially at Christmas (and Chanukah), there are so many unique T shirts and chotskies that you can't get anywhere else.

How about the antique autos? They had a Duesenberg show there aroung 2001 which I went to. Those cars were so incredible, they make today's luxury cars look tame by comparison.

Knott's Berry Farm was always second fiddle to Disneyland. I liked the Ghost Town section. There was the area where gravity was sideways. The berry products were (and are) very good.

The chicken dinners, patterned after Mrs. Knott's original recipe are still outstanding and a good price value. I was in the sideways gravity room too. Remember boot hill? One RIP sign reads, "Here lies Lester Moore, shot dead by a 44. No Les no more." Maybe Lester Moore was an ex Scientologist who left the church and began attacking it so Ron ordered process R2-44 run on him. This would have been the very earliest days of Scientology when the process was called R2-44. When the "Colt" 44 was upgraded to a Colt 45, LRH changed the name of the process to R2-45

If you listened to the Robert W. segment, the next bit was Hudson and Landry where they mention the Japanese Deer Park ("where Bambi goes, nothing grows"). Isn't the place with the knights in armor and jousting where the park used to be?

I did not listen to it yet, I will do so today. Was the Deer Park the same place where the Knight's Jousting tournament is held? I did not know that. Well, on a Lakey thread everyone learns something new everytime he clicks on it, especially Lakey himself

The other theater I went to often was the Nuart on Santa Monica Blvd., just west of the 405. It still plays foreign films.

I used to live in the Palms/Mar Vista area from 1965 to 1968 when I moved up to Los Feliz. I worked at Douglas Aircraft in Culver City then and attended the Nuart often. I was real big on art films along with a few of my friends. It was a good place to take a date so as to impress her with how cultural one was. It paid off for me as a young man in my 20's. When I moved to Los Feliz in 1968, I switched to the Los Feliz theater.

In this century, I like wandering the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, crossing over PCH and running the path from the Santa Monica Pier to Malibu and back.

On any given week end, I can still run into people I know at Venice Beach roller blading or bike riding.

Newport Beach is more dog friendly though. Dogs are allowed before 9 and after 4. my dog run straight for the water whenever we get there. There is a little hole in the wall cafe right on the beach that is a great place to grab good quick food to eat on the beach.

Its too hard to park at Newport, especially on the weekends. It is beautiful though and I really like the nostalgic boardwalk and amusement area.

As for delis, there's a lot of Jews in LA, and there's a lot of great delis. Jerry's is our favorite.

I went to Hamilton High School on Roberson near the 10 freeway, it was about 70% Jewish of which I was one. I graduated in 1957 in the Elysian class. Fairfax High School was Hami's biggest rival in sports and they were at least 95% Jewish. I heard that Fairfax would close down for the Jewish holidays but not Hamilton. 1957 Elysians, God I am getting old! Here is a bit of obscure L.A. history. . When I was a Freshman at Hamilton, we were in the Western League for sports, our natural competitors were Fairfax High and Venice High and then we had L.A. High, Dorsey High, and University High plus two other schools. L.A. High, Dorsey, and Uni were not as far west as Hamilton and those areas were starting to contain a lot of Black people, who were moving up to better neighborhoods at the time which extremely pleased me. L.A., Dorsey and Uni were just very superior to Hami in sports. My first year there Uni beat us 66 to 7, Dorsey took us 72 to 6 and L.A. high shellacked us 73 to 0. Our team, dominated by scholarly Jews, was not competitive with the schools with nearly all black athletes This is a true observation and not racial stereotyping. Aganst white teams we lost to Fairfax by one point 27 to 26 or something like that and we lost to Venice maybe 30 to 14. Near the end of the season, we won a game, maybe from Marshall high and so so had one win that year and a 1 point loss to Fairfax. I went to a track meet where Dorsey went against Hamilton in track and field. The only thing worth watching were the cheerleaders. Oh my God, some of the girls were gorgeous! The races were completely one sided. We had one fast Jewish runner, Don Rossen who was fighting hard to come in second in both the 100 yard dash and the 220 yard dash. I think he came in third in the 100, losing second by a whisker but he got second by a whisker in the 220 and was even pushing the winner to a close finish. The rest of our runners were slow and I honestly believe some of their girl track stars could beat all of our guys except Don Rossen. Rossen improved and took third in City Finals in both races. For the next season, 1955, L.A. City reorganized the leagues and put Uni, Dorsey and L.A. into a different district with schools more competitive with them and brought 3 schools into our league which were more competitive with us.

My favs, in dining, were and are Japan Town for sushi and tempura

Roach coaches in the morning in Brentwood for the workers in the houses and construction projects. There is nothing like a breakfast burrito from a roach coach.

There used to be, maybe still is, an Italian restaurant ---- I think it was on Ventura Blvd. near Cahuenga where waiters sing opera. We loved that place. food was good too.

Cabo Wabo is good food and fun in Century City.

The Juice Club, which became Jamba Juice in Brentwood is a great place to hang out and see and be seen.

Whether we are talking locations in the Valley, Brentwood, or Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, The Cheesecake Factory cannot be beat.

I love to dine in Japan town and also up in China town near Dodger stadium they have some outstanding restaurants.

in the 60s and 70s we'd go to the Sunset Strip. At the Troubador, I saw Jackson Browne, before he was famous. He was friend of a friend. I remember sitting next to Bill Cosby,who was smoking a big stogie at the Whiskey.

You were in very impressive company! I was turned on to the Troubador as well and went there several times.

the Angelique billboards (maybe that was the 80s)

I'll leave you with this:

The stairs in the Laurel and Hardy movie, "The Piano Movers" is over off Sunset near the Silver lake district. They are worth a visit. They are very impressive. I would imagine googling all those items would get you the location. It has been a long while. Show the movie to grandkids, and then take them there. Those people were super human.

Just awesome nostalgia Carmelo, I was shooting to hit 10,000 hits on this thread and these last two nostalgic posts of yours will push me over the top. I think that is a pretty good achievement for an ex Director of Disbursement from CCLA in the early 1970's to get that kind of response. I made the stories as honest, informative, relevant and entertaining as I could but without attracting a very good group of people posting here, this thread never would have gone very far. This friend of mine Lives on Show Boat Way in some condos built on the sight of the old Laurel and Hardy studios. Tarzan and other major movies were filmed there. The clubhouse has a full studio museum. Laurel and Hardy were far beyond being talented, they were comedy and acting geniuses, truly super human as you say.
Lakey

Last edited:

Blue Spirit

Silver Meritorious Patron
Give Me A Break

If you guys keep this up I might have to get a younger body. :whistling:

Give me a break.

Nostalgia = Aesthetics + Grief.

lkwdblds

Crusader
What's so griefy about singing "Go See Cal?"

If you guys keep this up I might have to get a younger body. :whistling:

Give me a break.

Nostalgia = Aesthetics + Grief.

Blue - Hey, what's so griefy about singing a "Go See Cal" jingle. I know a being is trying to run time backwards instead of creating a future and of course there is truth in that.

What if I remember a green frog like puppet appearing after Smiling Ed Mc Connel says, "Plunk your magic twanger Frogie!" what harm can that do me, remembering "Frogie the Gremlin" saying "Hi ya kids, hiya, hiya " on the old Buster Brown and his Gang radio and TV shows back when I was a little kid and Marconi just constructed the first radio? There must be a difference between remembering something funny from the past past, and having grief because you miss the past and are sad it can not be brought back.

Lakey

Last edited:
My favorite story about Stan Laurel was told by Dick Van Dyke. He wanted to meet Stan. He found him in the phone book. Stan and his wife lived in a small cottage in Santa Monica. They were just simple unpretentious people.

Jewish

My body is WASP, but my thetan is Jewish. - that's one of the axioms, ron left out - Man is basically Jewish.

Where I went to school, most of the kids were Jewish. I didn't know this until I was twenty. I hadn't been raised with religion. My best friends were Jews. in first grade my best friend introduced me to the "Y."-- fifteen years later I recognized the humor in that.

My first business partner was very Jewish, and it got explained to me that Jewish wasn't Christian. That was a completely new concept for me. I thought I was the only non Christian.

So all the cheese blintzes, lox and bagels, gefilte fish, matzo ball chicken soup, that I had been eating wasn't a part of white middle class Wonder Bread America's diet. It was news to me.

A friend married a guy, who was a Scientologist. The guy was Jewish. She was a shiksa. He agonized over "the withhold" of telling her he was Jewish. He didn't even think twice about telling her about Scientology. Scientology changed her life. Marrying a Jew, had little effect whatsoever. People are funny.

Just awesome nostalgia Carmelo, I was shooting to hit 10,000 hits on this thread and these last two nostalgic posts of yours will push me over the top. I think that is a pretty good achievement for an ex Director of Disbursement from CCLA in the early 1970's to get that kind of response. I made the stories as honest, informative, relevant and entertaining as I could but without attracting a very good group of people posting here, this thread never would have gone very far. This friend of mine Lives on Show Boat Way in some condos built on the sight of the old Laurel and Hardy studios. Tarzan and other major movies were filmed there. The clubhouse has a full studio museum. Laurel and Hardy were far beyond being talented, they were comedy and acting geniuses, truly super human as you say.
Lakey

Maybe you and Ted should get together and jack up those stats. You have until Thursday (tomorrow) at 2.

So Ted, 666 posts. That's evil, you beast. can you double that stat by 2 tomorrow?

Lakey, your thread has past 10,000 views. what condition are you in? What is your next step? What stops do you have on your lines? do you know that auditing and / or joining staff can help you be a bigger being?, hence it justifies your giving me all your money and your signature on this line________!

I remember getting a call one morning around 8:30, when I was living at the Westlake Lanai. It was some dildo from the AO wanting to know if I could get 12 more solo auditing hours in before 2 PM. "sorry, No"

Last edited:

lkwdblds

Crusader
Have you heard Dick Van Dyke's nickname?

My favorite story about Stan Laurel was told by Dick Van Dyke. He wanted to meet Stan. He found him in the phone book. Stan and his wife lived in a small cottage in Santa Monica. They were just simple unpretentious people.

Have you heard Dick Van Dyke's alternate name. He devised it so his friends would know it was him being referred to but salesmen or detectives would not know it was him. The alternate name comes from clever usage of "The Sexual Dictionary of the American English Language.

Sample: Dick van Dyke is referred to as Penis van Lesbian.

Carmelo, you know my whole trip is that I have an encyclopedic mind and I am awash in figures. You have a pretty good encyclopedic mind yourself! When I wrote, my first 5 pages of this thread in March I quickly obtained about 1900 hits and about 45 responses in less than 3 weeks and then the thread appeared to be dead. The responses completely stopped but the hits continued to grow to about 2200 and then they stopped. After participating on Vinaire's thread !Oh God!!, I saw how Vin got such high stats but his topics were much more encompassing than mine. I decided I needed to debrief not only my Apollo story but my CCLA story as well and I figured I could get raise my hits total up to 5,000 max with the reponses moving from 45 to maybe 90. Well the 5,000 Mark was reached in not much over a week. It was then that I decided that the topic of the old days at CCLA had "legs". It wasn't just the old timers who liked it but a lot of non Scientology researchers and a lot of young ESMB members were interested in reading about the old CC, the times, the people and the situations that arose. I believe there was some encompassment of the universal human condition being discussed here when an intelligent and sincere guy wanted nothing more than to donate his talents to this group and did everything in his power to be "honest and straight" and contribute to a group he was growing to love.

The Universal human trajedy appears and can be seen now for what it is: Joe Average, an unknown, almost a nobody except, for having more smarts than average, approaches a group who has helped him and wants to help them in return and gives up a well paying job and breaks his ass to contribute to this Organization he has come to love. What happens in return is a series of defeats, injustices, degradations and make wrongs. What is it about this group that makes it nearly impossible for good people to be allowed to help the group without being personally destroyed? Even Mother Teresa would have been unable to succeed here!!

Well, by page 11 of the thread, I had told my personal story and had told it well. I developed an already good writing technique and made it even better, much better. My story had been told and the hits were around 6200 and I announced that I was done for now. It was Sweetness and Light who wrote that I needed to continue writing my story, that I was not done yet. I tried starting another thread on Education and it was good, excellent posts from Ted, Olska and Roger B. among others and then it died out with about 1700 hits. I thought to myself, Sweetness and Light is right, I have more to say so let me say it on the Apollo 1973 site where the message is more universal and I already have a large base of readers. I set of goal of hitting 10,000 hits but did not think I had a chance of reaching that but thats were a lot of people came in and were doing most of the writing and I became more like a moderator for you other posters on the thread. Again things took off for a while but posts leveled off around 7900 or so. That is when I decided to add the best local eateries in the area. That idea was very popular and at about that time, you, Carmelo, became heavily involved and kind of expanded the restaurnat section and then added your posts on nostalgia. All I had to do was moderate as you and Ted and Blue Spirit and Terril did most of the posting. I would mainly comment on your posts and just throw a little something of my own in once in a while. You guys took it from there, especially you Carmelo and we hit 10,000 and beyond without breaking stride.

SUMMARY
1. I wanted to tell my personel story.
2. I wanted to tell people how CC got started and tell them who Yvonne was.
3. I wanted to show the bad side of Scn but also the good side
4. I wanted people to come to the conclusion that I could have been a valuable asset for C of S to have on staff and that they just threw me a way like a piece of garbage. I want people to realize it was not just me, but maybe there were 20,000 other potentially valuable assets that they just literally trashed. Imagine what C of S would be today with me and 20,000 others similar to me working flat out for them, doing good.
5. I want this thread to be the source to go to if anyone wants to find out anything about the CCLA of the 1970's
6. I want the thread to be portrayed as how the little guy with some talent is crushed, chewed up and spit out by Corporate Scientology. IT IS A THEME WORTHY FOR AN ARTHUR MILLER PLAY AND BOOK SUCH AS DEATH OF A SALESMAN.
7. Now, I want the thread to be a good place to go as a travel guide as to nostalgic points of interest in the City of L.A.
8. I want people to see that EVEN MOTHER TERESA WOULD HAVE BEEN RPFed IT SHE HAD JOINED!!
9. Finally, I want the thread to be known as honest and unbiased, where both good and bad things are equally emphasized and I want it to be thought of as a well written post very entertaining and enlightening to read.

With all those objectives and its universality, where it stopped being the story of one rank and file guy and emerged into something much bigger, it is interesting to see how we got to 10,000 hits starting with my story as an obscure guy on the Apollo some 36 years ago and expanding the thread to what it has become. I really thank Sweetness and Light for pushing me on to write more, saying I wasn't done with my story yet and that I, personally, soon to be 70 years old am still evolving, and Carmelo, for coming in more actively recently and verifying and correcting my accuracy and adding her personal touch, charm and knowledge into my mix.

As long as I have something valid to say and the thread is still growing and getting hits, I will stick around moderating it. If the thread peaks out, it can be inactive for a while and then be brought back in months or a year later and recycled through all the newer members as is being done with several of the major stories and threads right now.
Lakey

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

The Universal human trajedy appears and can be seen now for what it is: Joe Average, an unknown, almost a nobody except, for having more smarts than average, approaches a group who has helped him and wants to help them in return and gives up a well paying job and breaks his ass to contribute to this Organization he has come to love. What happens in return is a series of defeats, injustices, degradations and make wrongs. What is it about this group that makes it nearly impossible for good people to be allowed to help the group without being personally destroyed? Even Mother Teresa would have been unable to succeed here!!

Lakey

LRH policy makes this inevitable, by making it easy for sociopaths to openly be sociopaths (and yes I'm deliberately using the psych term rather than "SP"), as long as they can successfully intimidate others into producing stats.

The main policy that makes it inevitable is the "staff contract". In most places, employees can leave when they feel like. This places a hard limit on the amount of suppression that somebody can dish out before suddenly finding that he has no juniors left (or his manager getting rid of him before that point).

In a normal job, or volunteer position, the worker must receive a level of reward (whether in cash or personal satisfaction) that compensates for the hassles he faces, or he's gone. By eliminating the option of easily leaving, the Scn system ensures that conditions will stay ugly.

If you wanted to talk about CC, you haven't even scratched the surface on Yvonne.

When she was Capt at AOLA she needed auditing production. Allan Kapular refused to audit as many hours as she wanted. She had him locked in the basement for days. He got sick. I think that's when he routed out of the SO.

Before Heber, but after Peter, there was Robbie Levin. He was considerably younger, but a strong intelligent guy. He had a band called People! ( a one hit wonder). They joined the SO, but not as worker bees. They were going to promote Sci with music.

Purple Haze could probably tell you a ten page volume.

Heber took her to see Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. She loved him. he was a beautiful big being too.

Yvonne would not really doze off, but close her eyes , in meetings. You'd think she was out, until you said something she had a contention with, and completely lucidly, she'd make her point.

You should probably ask appledore2 to contribute.

When she was dying at the Flag Landbase, the Ft. Harrison. They were auditing her every day. During lunch and dinner, she would sit with Alan Walter on the patio, and he'd audit out what they had done to her that day. He got her looking at where she wanted to live in her next lifetime - generally mocking up her future. As far as I know, they reconnected in 1995. She would light into anyone, who said an unkind word about him.

DartSmohen or RogerB probably knows more about "where the bodies are buried" - from Alan, who isn't here to ITSA anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.