What's new

The Nothing Thread

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
It's nothing. You'll get over it.

I wish it were nothing. I'm facing two surgeries. One mandatory. The other a choice I have to make. And it's a big decision. Will the surgery improve my quality of life? Will it make me crazier than I already am?

I truly wish it were nothing. And then I can't even have the "elective" surgery until I get my iron count up. In over 30 years, NOTHING has gotten my iron count to the normal range. And having surgery may possibly improve my iron count. Ugh!!!

Dark Phoenix

Patron Meritorious
I wish it were nothing. I'm facing two surgeries. One mandatory. The other a choice I have to make. And it's a big decision. Will the surgery improve my quality of life? Will it make me crazier than I already am?

I truly wish it were nothing. And then I can't even have the "elective" surgery until I get my iron count up. In over 30 years, NOTHING has gotten my iron count to the normal range. And having surgery may possibly improve my iron count. Ugh!!!

That totally sucks, Kathy.

But you will come through it. And there is always the chance that this time the outcome will be different and for the better.

I wouldn't worry about the crazy part. I doubt you're that crazy to begin with and a little more might just add some extra character :)

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
If your low iron count is connected to the thyroid problem Kathy, it seems likely that after the surgery you will finally enjoy the energy that comes with iron in a good range. That won't be nothing. It'll be a whopping humungous something! Everything works better when your iron is taken care of, your body, your brain, your feelings. The very best wishes for that. I had years of struggling to get my ferritin count up. Now it's normal, everything works better.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
That totally sucks, Kathy.

But you will come through it. And there is always the chance that this time the outcome will be different and for the better.

I wouldn't worry about the crazy part. I doubt you're that crazy to begin with and a little more might just add some extra character :)

The crazier part has to do with hormones. I'm seriously considering getting a hysterectomy. I've been reading up on the pros and cons of leaving the ovaries intact. So, my hormones could get crazier or they could improve. Still researching.

As far as my hubby is concerned I have "enough character" with my crazy ever changing hormones. LOL!!!

And that was his only question in regards to me getting a hysterectomy and leaving the ovaries - will it make me less or more crazy? I think he's scared. LOL!!!

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
I feel like a schmuck now, Kathy. Sorry you're going through such a tough time. Things will get better!

Don't worry about it. It's just decisions I need to make. But I hate making decisions. I'd rather fly by the seat of my pants. And these decisions are making my brain hurt. LOL!!!

And half of the problem, is I have to wait. I hate waiting. I need the parathyroid surgery, but I have to wait for the Doctor to call me after he reads my medical records, then I have to wait to schedule the surgery, then I have to get to the surgery.

I'm the type that once something is determined, I want it done NOW. I got the parathyroid diagnosis 2 1/2 weeks ago. Lets get the damn surgery over with already.

The waiting part makes the thinking about being sliced open harder to deal with. I was watching Dr. G (medical examiner) yesterday, and for the first time, just knowing she was about to make the "Y" incision sort of freaked me out. Granted I will probably only get about a 1 - 2 inch incision, but it freaks me out. I've never been cut open before. Sure I have lots of scars from cuts - it would help if I'd learn how to use a knife - but that's different and those cuts weren't that deep, except one of two of them.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
If your low iron count is connected to the thyroid problem Kathy, it seems likely that after the surgery you will finally enjoy the energy that comes with iron in a good range. That won't be nothing. It'll be a whopping humungous something! Everything works better when your iron is taken care of, your body, your brain, your feelings. The very best wishes for that. I had years of struggling to get my ferritin count up. Now it's normal, everything works better.

The PARAthyroid problem I have has NOTHING to do with my iron count. I wish it did. But I've had low iron since I was 13 (well, when they started testing my iron). I've probably only had the parathyroid problem 1 to 5 years. Doesn't account for 30+ years of iron deficiency.

My OB/GYN gave me some iron pills. I'll get another blood test in 30 days when I run out of pills. If I can take the pills for that long. Most prescription iron gives me bad side effects. As does natural iron supplements.

I have such a difficult body. LOL!!!

Kutta

Sorry, I was barking up the wrong tree there. Yeah iron pills do have some sticky black side effects! among others. I used to fry up some fresh lambs liver with chilli, garlic, plenty of salt and pepper. Wouldn't normally touch liver with a barge pole, but when my body was needing it, I loved it. Kept it in the fridge and kept nibbling away. Helped, but not a permanent cure. Post menopause, no more loss of the iron, was the only long lasting help. I was advised to have a hysterectomy, but flagged it. It's a very personal decision for a woman. Hang in there Kathy. We are all plumping for you.

Dark Phoenix

Patron Meritorious
"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would he this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me." Ann Landers

"When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, until it seems as if you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time when the tide will turn."
Harriet Beecher Stowe

Hang in there, Kathy.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sorry, I was barking up the wrong tree there. Yeah iron pills do have some sticky black side effects! among others. I used to fry up some fresh lambs liver with chilli, garlic, plenty of salt and pepper. Wouldn't normally touch liver with a barge pole, but when my body was needing it, I loved it. Kept it in the fridge and kept nibbling away. Helped, but not a permanent cure. Post menopause, no more loss of the iron, was the only long lasting help. I was advised to have a hysterectomy, but flagged it. It's a very personal decision for a woman. Hang in there Kathy. We are all plumping for you.

I don't think I can eat liver. My mom used to cook it for herself (she was anemic after she got cancer) and I could NOT stand the smell. I swear it made me gag.

I have been dead set against having a hysterectomy. But (excuse the bluntness) I've been having 16 - 18 periods a year since 2002 (that's as far back as my records go, could be longer). I'm in a constant state of hormonal upheaval, besides the bother of a period so dang frequently. And since medical science hasn't done any research on this situation/condition there is not a stitch of information out there as to the cause.

I can continue to live with this and pray to the powers that be to go into menopause. But with all the wishing, and hoping and praying that hasn't happened. (This is one of the reason why I know God is not a woman - no woman would make another woman suffer this way.)

So, there's a lot more thinking and considering I need to do before I get a hysterectomy. But after my last cycle, it's looking more likely.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
"If I were asked to give what I consider the single most useful bit of advice for all humanity, it would he this: Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me." Ann Landers

"When you get in a tight place and everything goes against you, until it seems as if you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time when the tide will turn."
Harriet Beecher Stowe

Hang in there, Kathy.

Thanks, DP.

I've been hitting this medical stuff head on. My first appointment with my Endocrinologist was December 3, 2009. I got the diagnosis of Hyperparathyroidism on December 28th. I was diligent getting my appointments and doing all the various tests so that I could get a fast answer. The first blood test results came on December 7th. By the end of that day, I was fully educated on what might be wrong with me. There are very few things that cause one's blood calcium to be elevated. And the website I found was thoroughly informative.

The only reason I went to an Endocrinologist was to get answers about my girly problems. So, it's actually been quite beneficial that I ignored my Naturopath/Acupuncturist when she suggested I go see a Gastro doctor. I don't "care" that I'm anemic - it's been an issue most of my life. But I did care about having so many cycles every year.

I'm not giving up. I just hate making decisions and I hate waiting. That is the frustrating part. I will have the parathyroidectomy. To me, there is no choice on that. I either keep the bad parathyroid and end up with osteoporosis or I have it removed and it may change my life - no more tiredness, no more sleeplessness, no more lack of interest in my passions, etc.

The hysterectomy decision is a "wait and see". Maybe after my last cycle, things will get better in that department. In which case I won't need the surgery. Or maybe they'll stay the same and I'll do my damnedest to get my iron count up so that I can have surgery.

HCObringOrder?

Hey Kathy,
Have you tried magnets for your Iron problem?

Meanwhile, I would like to point out this part of your story belongs on the Something Thread.
Because it really is not nothing. :no:

My hopes for your improvement. :)

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hey Kathy,
Have you tried magnets for your Iron problem?

Meanwhile, I would like to point out this part of your story belongs on the Something Thread.
Because it really is not nothing. :no:

My hopes for your improvement. :)

Yes, it should be on the something thread, but it got started here and stayed here.

No, I've never tried magnets. Do I eat them? LOL!!! Just kidding. I sort of understand magnet treatment.

I hope for improvement too. Thanks, HCO.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's our big nothing in TX. They said we'd only get one inch. Today's forecast is an accumulation of 5 inches. I think we surpassed that already.

1st pic: backyard with snow drifts
2nd pic: Tonka eating the snow off the patio furniture that is on the covered patio.
3rd pic: the snow drift on my front windows

Spring did not arrive in TX. :no: :bigcry:

Attachments

• 3:21J.jpg
    3:21J.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 3:21M.jpg
    3:21M.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 3:21P.jpg
    3:21P.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16

Good twin

Floater
Here's our big nothing in TX. They said we'd only get one inch. Today's forecast is an accumulation of 5 inches. I think we surpassed that already.

1st pic: backyard with snow drifts
2nd pic: Tonka eating the snow off the patio furniture that is on the covered patio.
3rd pic: the snow drift on my front windows

Spring did not arrive in TX. :no: :bigcry:

This is ridiculous. You need to come back to Florida, Honey.