What's new

FCDC circa 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I was on staff there from 1978-80.

I guess you are talking about the period at FCDC before Bill Franks garrison mission? Before the FBI raid. Before the price increases. Before the mission network was decimated.

Maybe that's why they are hiding ...

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah. I was fortunate enough to miss that drama (Franks), but we had our share as I'm sure you can imagine.

Div6

Crusader
I know some names from that time period, maybe:

Steve Groton
Jeff Dietz
Abby Bregman

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Hell, I'll name names:

Bill Nichols (runs some kind of tough love center for kids now)
Larry Masters (more WDAH than anyone)
Greg Shulman (was a field auditor when I arrived)
Greg Gloor (has a chain of furniture stores in the DC area now)

I'm pretty sure these folks date back to that era. Some of the departed who had been beat up during the Franks regime and didn't come around much anymore showed up again in 1978. There was a group engram running session or two with them. Later it was decided that those sessions weren't too productive, tho.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I grew up in Northern Virginia and attended TC Williams HS (class of '72) and I first entered the FCDC in 2001. Tom Clapp was the ED and his wife was a reg, probably multiple hatted. Nice building. I twinned on course with a fella named Tom who had been around for a long time. He has an art gallery in Baltimore. I used to enjoy walking in the front door and throwing my anchor points out to the ceiling corners with as much intention as possible. The senior C/S spotted me doing that one day (she was standing right in front of me on the stairs), so I stopped doing that.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I knew Tom Clapp back in the day. He put me up for a brief period.

Colleen, did you know that Thierry DuChanac, now an OSA thug, went to TC Williams?

Not to drift too far off topic, but TC was relocated to a new building with a glass ceiling, down a block or so from the old location. Neither of them look like the facility shown in "Remember the Titans," which was filmed on the West Coast I think. They didn't even use the band's fight song from 1971, a rights issue I spoze. The band director of the period, Jack Dahlinger, died a few years ago (before I could get a vinyl copy of the music).

Sci-Fi authoress Vanna Bonta also went to TC. She got me into the org with her smooth banter ("You should try Dianetics.") She was briefly married to an FCDC case supervisor.

gosh, I could reminisce for hours but there is a hot video project awaiting.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

There were 4,000 people in that high school when I attended, and I was not very gregarious, more of a bookworm. If they had been in my Latin class I might remember them. Remember the two guys who hi-jacked a plane after killing a bank security officer? They hi-jacked it to Cuba with the father of one of the fellas. Don't recall their names though. One was in my Latin class and kept having to excuse himself to call his lawyer.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
I know some names from that time period, maybe:

Steve Groton
Jeff Dietz
Abby Bregman
I hear from Dietz every now and then. Abbey and Steve I remember vaguely.

I'm in touch with Richard Romejko, married to Patty (Wisner). Craig and Barb Waters I hear from occasionally. They are making furniture like, Greg Gloor and his group.

Here is a list of some of those that were there while I was on staff:
Irene and Joe Breeden, Rex Rhodes, Joan Tourtelot, Dave Richards, Larry Spinks, John Hoffman, Don and Pandora Cooper (and later Hustler fame), John Devereux, Peter and Andrea Letterese, Jeff (sp) Krowden (Registrar), Glen Smoak, Dan Deming, Brad and Rebecca Sweigert, Brad Brewster, Annie from the GO's Office,Bobby Wisner (Michael now), John Ruane, Maddy Ruane, Sue and Paul Wasserman, Rick Miller, Leslie Shields.

I forgot, I don't know how.....Gordon Bell. How anyone could forget him I don't know.:omg:

Last edited:

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hell, I'll name names:

Bill Nichols (runs some kind of tough love center for kids now)
Larry Masters (more WDAH than anyone)
Greg Shulman (was a field auditor when I arrived)
Greg Gloor (has a chain of furniture stores in the DC area now)

I'm pretty sure these folks date back to that era. Some of the departed who had been beat up during the Franks regime and didn't come around much anymore showed up again in 1978. There was a group engram running session or two with them. Later it was decided that those sessions weren't too productive, tho.
Yeah, I forgot about Greg Shulman and Larry Masters, I think his wife's name was Vickie.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
I remember Glenn Smoak and really liked him. He was OT III, walked off in the middle of the Purif and never returned. VP of a courier company in the area at the time. His wife Rita continued to slave away in Treasury for years after he blew, somehow never being declared or "handled" to leave Glenn. Small victory, that.

I saw Jeff Cronin at CCLA in 1991. I think he was still regging. Vickie Schulman became Vickie Pearson. Not sure what happened to her, but she had great legs in 1978 :coolwink: . Spinks was working with Gloor, briefly married to Abby Bregman. I worked at a typing service with Ann for a bit in 1982. Sweet person, went into the S.O.

Of the staff I knew, most were very decent and sincere people and under different circumstances would probably still be my friends. Org management and politics and the whims of upper management destroyed the fabric of most relationships. One time I counted over 40 couples who broke up in the few years I was actively in the org. That is wrong and illustrates that Scientology isn't a church in any sense that matters.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

I remember Glenn Smoak and really liked him. He was OT III, walked off in the middle of the Purif and never returned. VP of a courier company in the area at the time. His wife Rita continued to slave away in Treasury for years after he blew, somehow never being declared or "handled" to leave Glenn. Small victory, that.

I saw Jeff Cronin at CCLA in 1991. I think he was still regging. Vickie Schulman became Vickie Pearson. Not sure what happened to her, but she had great legs in 1978 :coolwink: . Spinks was working with Gloor, briefly married to Abby Bregman. I worked at a typing service with Ann for a bit in 1982. Sweet person, went into the S.O.

Of the staff I knew, most were very decent and sincere people and under different circumstances would probably still be my friends. Org management and politics and the whims of upper management destroyed the fabric of most relationships. One time I counted over 40 couples who broke up in the few years I was actively in the org. That is wrong and illustrates that Scientology isn't a church in any sense that matters.

Chip, I so many fond memories of the staff of DC over the years - several are still my friends.

I first met them on the SHSBC in 1962 - and over the years we did several events at the DC Org.

I sent over 50 people to the DC Org for HPA Class IV training in 1965-66.

A great bunch of people! :thumbsup:

Alan

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yeah, I liked Glenn too. I agree with your sentiments in the last paragraph. I would be and still am friends with at least five on my list and wish I would have more contact with most of the rest.

Jeff Cronin..I should have remembered how to spell his name since he was one of my Reg's. Spent almost four years of my life there on 19th st.

Vickie used to be Masters, I think. She had other great body parts too.

I keep remembering more people as I write these messages...Rick Bannerman, Judy Cranford, Bobby Jacobson, Jill Press (Hoffman).

Last edited:

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Larry was married to Debbie (Matson) and then moved away to somewhere like Texas. Debbie was known for screaming at the DIV IV auditors and drove several into Estates work, being nannies and whatnot. Bill Nichols also had a huge attitude toward the staff. For that matter, I was physically pushed by the Dist Sec when, as cope officer, I asked for his stats at 10:30 p.m.

AFAIK, Vickie was married to Greg and had a teenager from that relationship. Judy Cranford was doing a program to get into the S.O., selling real estate in DC. She sold my Gaithersburg, Md. townhouse in a couple of days. She also helped me when I was DC Mission ED, showing up to help sell books and plan events.

When I knew Cronin, he was working with John Lutz. Lutz is now a big time stock broker in NY. Pretty incredible to find a lawyer working in the public div. Lutz was petitioning to do services because of some familial connection. Clapp also had a family issue with one of his parents being involved in intelligence work.

Alan, I remember being in a full course room when FCDC was on "S" Street, both in Div 6 and upstairs in the Academy. David Tidman was a serious course sup. Bob Foss did the public courses and looked and acted very professional. These guys established an image for that organization that made people want to be there. I didn't see any of that midnight comp BS, but a lot of work went on until the wee hours by the org staff. I personally pulled numerous all nighters running the promo through the folding machine, putting labels on, dragging it to the post office, etc. That addresso machine probably dated to when your selectees were routing onto training.

nozeno

Gold Meritorious Patron
Larry was married to Debbie (Matson) and then moved away to somewhere like Texas. Debbie was known for screaming at the DIV IV auditors and drove several into Estates work, being nannies and whatnot. Bill Nichols also had a huge attitude toward the staff. For that matter, I was physically pushed by the Dist Sec when, as cope officer, I asked for his stats at 10:30 p.m.

AFAIK, Vickie was married to Greg and had a teenager from that relationship. Judy Cranford was doing a program to get into the S.O., selling real estate in DC. She sold my Gaithersburg, Md. townhouse in a couple of days. She also helped me when I was DC Mission ED, showing up to help sell books and plan events.

When I knew Cronin, he was working with John Lutz. Lutz is now a big time stock broker in NY. Pretty incredible to find a lawyer working in the public div. Lutz was petitioning to do services because of some familial connection. Clapp also had a family issue with one of his parents being involved in intelligence work.

Alan, I remember being in a full course room when FCDC was on "S" Street, both in Div 6 and upstairs in the Academy. David Tidman was a serious course sup. Bob Foss did the public courses and looked and acted very professional. These guys established an image for that organization that made people want to be there. I didn't see any of that midnight comp BS, but a lot of work went on until the wee hours by the org staff. I personally pulled numerous all nighters running the promo through the folding machine, putting labels on, dragging it to the post office, etc. That addresso machine probably dated to when your selectees were routing onto training.
Aahh..the addresso machine. We spent many a night together at all hands. I'm sure they're still using it.

I don't remember the Org on S street. I blew when we were at 1812 19th St. The Guardians Office was across the street and was later converted into staff housing, what a mess that was. I do remember visiting Deitz (he was trying to rescue me) after I blew and the org was west of Connectcut Avenue.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

One of the things that early on convinced me that scientology had workable technology occurred in 1994 when I was on staff in the Atlanta Org. A mission couple came in for 2D handling. They were ready to get a divorce. You could see the standing ridges between them. During and after their 2D Confessional I one day saw them outside the org and they could not keep their hands off of each other.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Colleen, I worked in HCO and was "fully hatted" as an ethics officer. Along the way I did numerous handlings on public couples. There is no doubt that getting people talking about the issues between them, expressing pent-up frustrations and withholds, working with an intermediary, etc. can help repair marriages. If the people in question have already received auditing, there may be a catalog of issues available in the PC folders too. I have never gone to a professional marriage counselor outside of Scientology so I don't know if Hubbard does a better job than a psychologist who specializes in marital matters, or a minister or priest for that matter. There is also the Non Enturbulation Order and disconnection hanging over the heads of the counseled individuals and I wonder if some of the so-called results were due to threats rather than true mediation ...

Scientology the organization doesn't care a whit about the sanctity of marriage. The 40 or more breakups I mentioned were mostly staff or former staff. Notably the Guardians Office staff did not seem to suffer from this. I never had Scientology management express an interest in preserving a marriage, especially if it got in the way of service delivery, Clearing the Planet and so on.

To me it is comparable to having auditing processes that can greatly reduce insanity, but then having functionally insane staff running the org. Well done on having the tech! Flunk on not using it on the staff!

Just to throw fuel on the fire, how does the Sea Org injunction against staff pregnancy fit into the workable tech model?

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Alan, you did you know John Higginbotham (sp?) He was on staff in DC in the 60's. He had a few wild tails to tell. Abbey Bregman was a Flag registrar last I saw her.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Alan, you did you know John Higginbotham (sp?) He was on staff in DC in the 60's. He had a few wild tails to tell. Abbey Bregman was a Flag registrar last I saw her.

Re: John Higginbotham - the name is familiar - but I cannot place him - did not know Abbey.

The Oracle

Gold Meritorious Patron
I was on staff there from 1978-80.

Maybe that's why they are hiding ...

Then you probably know me. I was there training and getting auditing off an on during the mid 70's. These are some of the people I knew:

Bill Franks (I liked him a lot)
Jeannie Franks (I liked her a lot too)

Equin Rhodes
Michael Keel
Bill Nichols

(The above three relocated to New York via my place)

Chuck and Karen? Chuck ended up in New York, joined S.O. and married Carla Bazin or Bazan, went out 2d on mission and never came back. Karen was living in Clearwater working as a full time FSM at the base in the 90's.

Michael Oakes (Made me swoon. I loved to go to ethics.)

I loved fcdc back then. I lived at that hotel down the street run by that "colorful" couple. Hubbard had lived there at some time in the early days.

It was the most distraction free Org I ever stayed in.

Great group of people.

I could probably remember more names if they were tossed up.

Like, my course sup and some others.

T.I.

Status
Not open for further replies.