What's new

" I CHING " Anyone else read it ? Follow it ?

my take on the i Ching is that my guardian angels or spiritual teammates control my coins. the reading seem, not just from my subjective view, but from friends also, to be spot on.

My spiritual teammates and guardian angels are controlling my coins too.....and making me cups of tea and doing my thinking for me.

I'd like to hear about any readings you have had that you were unable to find any translation to real events. I'm very interested in how many times it has failed to yield useful results, by comparison to how many times it yielded useful results.

The problem with that approach, U, is it fails to distinguish between failures in the oracular method and failures by the oracle. :D

Mark A. Baker

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
On this forum I have found so much helpful information from others that sometimes I think I'd be better off just being a lurker.

Anyway, Here goes... I don't find it bothersome that someone wants to make fun of what I'm trying to find out about and do a dictionary parody. Free speech And all that.

I do happen to believe that I have a vibration. I do happen to believe the universe has vibrations. Now some feel neither of those things and therefore can in all honesty say they don't believe it does or could exist for anyone. I get that.

I also get unless you live in LA it is hard to see the air we breath - yet it does seem that air is there and necessary to life.

Carbon monoxide might be hard to detect but it is still very deadly. But if one doesn't dectect does it meant it is not present?

So, for those who feel they have no vibration as a life force and there is no vibration(s) in the universe available to them ? Hey, it is your life.

Or as a dear old college professor used to say " Those who limit the world to their own knowledge indeed are doomed to live in a small dark place ".

On this forum I have found so much helpful information from others that sometimes I think I'd be better off just being a lurker.

Anyway, Here goes... I don't find it bothersome that someone wants to make fun of what I'm trying to find out about and do a dictionary parody. Free speech And all that.

I do happen to believe that I have a vibration. I do happen to believe the universe has vibrations. Now some feel neither of those things and therefore can in all honesty say they don't believe it does or could exist for anyone. I get that.

I also get unless you live in LA it is hard to see the air we breath - yet it does seem that air is there and necessary to life.

Carbon monoxide might be hard to detect but it is still very deadly. But if one doesn't dectect does it meant it is not present?

So, for those who feel they have no vibration as a life force and there is no vibration(s) in the universe available to them ? Hey, it is your life.

Or as a dear old college professor used to say " Those who limit the world to their own knowledge indeed are doomed to live in a small dark place ".

That leaves is with billions of things that are vibrating and possibly affecting us. No problem with that, but claims about how things are affecting us are made just on the basis of whimsical thinking. That is the only criteria for belief/certainty for many. As I said elsewhere, at least in the cult they give you meters, space operas, past lives, and lots of other fun. You get banged more for your buck than you do with daydreaming and whimsical thinking.

AT,

Thank you for bringing up the subject of the I Ching, I enjoy being able to connect with people who understand and appreciate its value, and have actually used it.

In my experience, I have found that the I Ching will take you into your next stage of spiritual evolution.

But, and this is a big but, what you do once you get there, is entirely up to you. Interestingly enough, your "adventure" may not be what you think it is going to be. But it will undoubtedly be, the right experience for you, at this stage of your life.

It sounds as though some of the other posters (CarmeloOrchards, Cat's Squirrel, etc...) have experienced this as well.

Good luck, and I would love to hear about some of your I Ching or other metaphysical experiences.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Not accepting one type of idea doesn't mean you don't accept another, Toad. I can believe that a person has a "vibe", but not an actual vibration. Vibration has a definition. Humans don't give off vague vibrations. We emit sounds, we can cause shock waves through physical force, but that doesn't seem to be the sort of "vibe" you're talking about. I have definitely sensed that some people "run faster", or "seem more serene" than others, but those sorts of qualities are very ill-defined, and not necessarily related in any way to physical vibrations within the universe.

BTW, I've actually used "dictonariology". Yes, it was a joke. Yes, it produced interesting results. No, I don't believe it was oracular, or that I am an oracle. Such things require evidence.

This doesn't mean I live in a small dark place, it just means that the place I live in is illuminated by a light I find more reliable than the sort you seem to be proposing. I'm fine with you having what I would consider superstitions, but this doesn't mean I accept them over the sorts of reasoning and facts that make it possible for us to communicate on the internet, read by good light late at night, heat our homes, drive cars, etc. It wasn't animal spirits or oracular thinking that achieved those things. It was critical, rational thinking accompanied by actions based on those activities.

I still have my unexamined blind-spots. I still accept many things that many others do not, but I try to avoid the sorts of thinking that got me rather suckered by the CofS.

hartley

Patron with Honors
Yes I use the I Ching, have done for a long time.

No, I don't believe it to be magical, controlled by angels or demons or anything supernatural.

It talks a lot of sense. Just think of it like that wise old Chinese guy in the movies, inclined to be inscrutable and don't take kindly to being asked trivial questions.

It's an aid to thinking, as is any such system that is worth looking at. As such, consulting an 'expert' misses the whole point - they will be telling you what they think, not what you think. Not that you shouldn't read stuff about systems, just not accept what they or it say without question.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
" We emit sounds, we can cause shock waves through physical force, but that doesn't seem to be the sort of "vibe" you're talking about. I have definitely sensed that some people "run faster", or "seem more serene" than others, but those sorts of qualities are very ill-defined, and not necessarily related in any way to physical vibrations within the universe"

ill-defined ? OK. Long before caller ID most often when the phone rang I knew who was calling before I pick up the phone. Very different than if my cel phone rings it is my wife ( or a wrong number ) as she is rhw only person who has that number. That is ill-defined.

Or I have the thought I want to talk to my sister, the phone rings, and guess who.....ill-defined.

We can go down the list. I'm in the befroom thinking about ABC and my wife comes in and start a conversation about ABC. ill-defined.

But no matter what I say that does not have a "scientific" explanation ( nevermind neither did that cult giving away e meters ) it won't suit the requirements required on this thread :)

Or, we could reach the standard answer of even a broken cloxk is right twice a day - and THAT skews the "scientific" results !

On a different tack, I do believe about 85% of the result derived from any "ology" comes from the belief one brings themself to it. Oh, did I say I think the "results" come from the perso themselves more so than from the " ology"? Uh, yeah.

Miracle cures. Fom prayer. From power of positive thought. From meditation. From darn near anything there have been these mysterious miracle cures. Person has cancer. Person does ( insert whatever here ). Person no longer has cancer. OK. rare, but it darn sure happens....right? And something is rather ill defined there.

I submit that "ill-defined" does not mean inheritently incapable of the possibility of containing any truth whatsoever. 'jus sayin', ya know?

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud

AT,

Thank you for bringing up the subject of the I Ching, I enjoy being able to connect with people who understand and appreciate its value, and have actually used it.

In my experience, I have found that the I Ching will take you into your next stage of spiritual evolution.

But, and this is a big but, what you do once you get there, is entirely up to you. Interestingly enough, your "adventure" may not be what you think it is going to be. But it will undoubtedly be, the right experience for you, at this stage of your life.

It sounds as though some of the other posters (CarmeloOrchards, Cat's Squirrel, etc...) have experienced this as well.

Good luck, and I would love to hear about some of your I Ching or other metaphysical experiences.

Thank you. I find it fun to explore and ask others who are willing to share what they have / are exploring. The more that join in the better.

I try not to "sell" anything to anyone I just like to share with others and hear what they have found interesting to them.

There are people here who have much more experience and knowledge of I CHING than I do. I do hope they keep posting.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Thank you. I find it fun to explore and ask others who are willing to share what they have / are exploring. The more that join in the better.

I try not to "sell" anything to anyone I just like to share with others and hear what they have found interesting to them.

There are people here who have much more experience and knowledge of I CHING than I do. I do hope they keep posting.

OK, then I will :)

As much as I appreciate and use 'science', it's not the only tool in my box and I don't use a file to hammer nails :) (except when I must)

I suspect that many of the same people who would object to 'diviniation' might be more open to the concept of 'synchronicity'. So, let me pull out the good old concept of 'Macrocosm/Microcosm'. Also known as 'As in Heaven; so on Earth'.

I tend to use the I Ching as a 'friend', with a *different* perspective. For anyone who has read the 'Flatland' story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland, it should be obvious that a different perspective can be handy. Especially in mazes :)

The same goes for Astrology; it's not a case of the stars *causing* local conditions, but, of both the stars and local conditions *reflecting* something else that's invisible.

So, for the I Ching, the tossing of the coins is a *reflection* of current condtions, from a different perspective.

It's synchronous :)

(P.S. Since I'm talking with a 'friend' I don't always take his advice or accept his viewpoint. I have quite a few funny stories about arguing with the I Ching or even telling it to fuck off. And the results :))

Zinj

Truth&Honesty

Patron with Honors
OK, then I will :)

As much as I appreciate and use 'science', it's not the only tool in my box and I don't use a file to hammer nails :) (except when I must)

I suspect that many of the same people who would object to 'diviniation' might be more open to the concept of 'synchronicity'. So, let me pull out the good old concept of 'Macrocosm/Microcosm'. Also known as 'As in Heaven; so on Earth'.

I tend to use the I Ching as a 'friend', with a *different* perspective. For anyone who has read the 'Flatland' story http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland, it should be obvious that a different perspective can be handy. Especially in mazes :)

The same goes for Astrology; it's not a case of the stars *causing* local conditions, but, of both the stars and local conditions *reflecting* something else that's invisible.

So, for the I Ching, the tossing of the coins is a *reflection* of current condtions, from a different perspective.

It's synchronous :)

(P.S. Since I'm talking with a 'friend' I don't always take his advice or accept his viewpoint. I have quite a few funny stories about arguing with the I Ching or even telling it to fuck off. And the results :))

Zinj

Zinj,

I agree completely. The "sage" has quite a sense of humor especially when dealing with human folly. Please share some of your stories!

I use the I Ching occasionally, and find it gives me a 50,000 foot perspective.....another words it enables me to see the forest, instead of just the individual trees.

Thanks for the reference to the Flatland story, I'll be reading it tonight. :yes::yes::yes:

T&H

Here is my "question" to the I Ching today:

"The I Ching is just another seduction into magic thinking"

Here is the reading:

35 - Thirty-Five
Chin / Aspiration

The Sun shines down upon the Earth:
Constantly honing and refining his brilliance, the Superior Person is a Godsend to his people.
They repay his benevolence with a herd of horses, and he is granted audience three times in a single day.

Promotion.

SITUATION ANALYSIS:

This is a time of reward for good works.
Those you have helped want to show their gratitude.
Benefits come both from on high and from the humble you uplifted.
Accept all gifts graciously, though the reward may not be what you truly need or hoped for.
Some may bestow more than they can afford to give, but you must realize that they need to feel that they have repaid you.

------------------------------------------------------------
So, do you want my address to send me "...more than (you) can afford to give.."?

Back to the concept that things happen and we interpret the "fortune-cookie" wisdom to fit what happened:

I was thinking just the other day about the reason people have a "sag" in life after leaving Scientology, (other than because they've been cursed out loud for leaving and they think it's going to come true.)

I realized that when we are in Scientology (or Bible Baptist or you-name-it) we hold the belief that because we have this magical thing going on, we are better, brighter, more capable people. We hold the thing up as our "magic shield." I've seen my best friend do this with a picture of a saint that was going to protect her.

But when we drop that subject, we have lost our magic shield. We think we are no longer lucky, smart, strong, etc.

The way to handle this is to realize that we were the actual ones causing the "magic shield" effect due to our own real abilities. While Scientology processing helped me improve abilities, the church took credit for creating the magic shield.

How this relates to the above? I'm perfectly happy when someone is happy with the way the IChing or Tarot works, whether they are imagining it or not, or even if they are causing the effects and then because they have a certain vibe going, the book opens to the page responding to that vibe, whatever.

But I prefer to understand it more from the viewpoint of "I'm doing it." That works better for me.

"Nothing IS, either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare :yes: