What's new

Can You Be a Christian Scientologist? (Juliette Lewis Says YES in New Interview)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Juliette Lewis did a recent interview with Vanity Fair magazine and was asked some interesting questions. (including one concerning the thread title I used).

Also she was asked about Xenu as well. :p

She explains that some people are confusing Hubbards science fiction works with his studies that have nothing to do with science fiction.

I'm glad we got that all cleared up. :coolwink:

If you'd like to read the actual interview it is located here:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/12/juliette-lewis.html

There is another article about the interview here:
http://www.sodahead.com/entertainment/can-you-be-a-christian-scientologist/question-1380577/

Just in case the interview eventually gets removed from the website I'll repost some of the scientology related questions (and answers) from the interview here:
--------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not sure how to segue into this, so I’ll just come out and ask. You’re a Scientologist, right?
I am, yeah.
Do you celebrate Christmas? I’ve never been sure about that. Does Christmas count as a Scientology holiday?
Oh yeah. We absolutely celebrate Christmas.
So you have a tree with ornaments and eggnog and presents and Christmas carols that aren’t about Xenu?
I’m a Christian! I think there’s so much confusion because people don’t understand a religion where you can be another religion but you can still practice Scientology. That’s why it’s completely progressive. It’s just tools for living. It’s about understanding one’s self and others and compassion and how to communicate better and how to live in this troubled society. It’s really basic, common sense stuff. It has nothing to do with all this funny folklore that surrounds it. You could be a Jewish Scientologist or a Buddhist Scientologist or a Christian Scientologist or anything else.
Do you believe your ancestors were reincarnated aliens?
That’s not been a part of my experience, no. (Laughs.)
So... you don’t believe you came from aliens?
I was thinking about where that idea came from, and I was like, “Oh, maybe it’s because [L. Ron] Hubbard was a successful science fiction writer, so they’re confusing his science fiction with his other studies that have nothing to do with science fiction.” It’s like you thinking I might punch somebody in the face because I played somebody who punched somebody in the face in a movie.
That’s actually a pretty good analogy. I wasn’t expecting that.
I’m used to misconceptions. And honestly, I don’t care to explain Scientology to people. You can investigate it on your own. It’s not that difficult. There are Web sites and all sorts of resources. The one thing that troubles me is when rumor becomes hatred and prejudice towards a group of people. That’s when it becomes scary, when you have people trying to take away other people’s right to practice a religion of your own choosing.
You’re taking all the fun out of mocking Scientology.
My experience is, there’s nothing alarming or inhibitive about Scientology. I don’t find it judgmental. I can’t speak for somebody else’s experience. It’s just my own.

Read the entire interview here:
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/12/juliette-lewis.html

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
I cannot believe people are still fudging around the alien Xenu stories.

Before the internet one could get away with that ....like maybe in the 70's and 80's, but now?? Now they just look silly when they deny it.:duh:

Do celebs not see the internet, read the paper or watch TV??:confused2:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Expediency over truth - every time.

The very thing/drive/goal that brought me into Scientology was the very thing that brought me through Scientology and ulitmately brought me out of Scientology.

That was the pursuit of truth over and above what I wanted truth to be. If I wanted truth to be relative to what I want, well, that's expedient. When truth becomes something you don't want your choice is to either remain with what you want, which is expedient, or to continue to the larger reality.

I guess that just goes to show you that the way out is the way through and what turns it on is what turns it off.

And please, please, please you cows...er, people, don't confuse Hubbard's science fiction with Hubbard's science studies. Sheesh, you sheeple!

guanoloco

As-Wased
I haven't read it but it's a parroting of "the line" I've heard from others.

Remember when "you're a bigot" started being pushed? Suddenly it was the latest flag run up the pole and everyone was saluting it.

Now this anthem...

It's a drill and goes with the tech of "repeat it until they believe it".

This will be sung in chorus everytime the Xenu question hits.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Sure but there's a difference between a non-OT saying it and someone who has done OT3 saying it.
Only one of them is knowingly lying.

Does anyone know if she's done OT Levels? It's either lying or ignorance of the facts.

No, it isn't, Panda. Especially now that there are so many perspectives on what constitutes belief in christianity.

Many people think of themselves as christians while nonetheless denying or rejecting the doctrines & dogmas of traditional christianity. And those are the ones who actually pay attention to the doctrines espoused by their respective churches. So many self-styled christians only go to church for the feelings evoked of membership in a social group.

Christian scientologist? No problem. To my mind, and with very rare exceptions, it's a silly thing to be. But can they do it? Yes, easily.

Mark A. Baker

Sure but there's a difference between a non-OT saying it and someone who has done OT3 saying it.
Only one of them is knowingly lying.

Got a freezoner friend who is an observant anglican, auditor, & ot. Unlike most christians he's actually knowledgeable about the subject of christianity. He's also one of the smartest, most honest, and responsible people I've had the pleasure of knowing. Somewhat to my chagrin he actually gives christianity something of a good name. :melodramatic:

Fortunately, there are so many more christians out there who are complete & utter berks. :eyeroll:

Thus, I can get away with considering him a "one-off". :thumbsup:

Mark A. Baker

Sindy

Crusader
No, it isn't, Panda. Especially now that there are so many perspectives on what constitutes belief in christianity.

Many people think of themselves as christians while nonetheless denying or rejecting the doctrines & dogmas of traditional christianity. And those are the ones who actually pay attention to the doctrines espoused by their respective churches. So many self-styled christians only go to church for the feelings evoked of membership in a social group.

Christian scientologist? No problem. To my mind, and with very rare exceptions, it's a silly thing to be. But can they do it? Yes, easily.

Mark A. Baker

I suppose they could do it but I don't agree they can do it easily and sooner or later, they will be offended or drop it all together (which is the hope of the C of S) and maybe it won't be communicated directly to the person but, it will be expected that the person drops after awhile. This has been my experience, anyway.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Christian scientologist? No problem.

Actually there is a big problem.

According to Scientology scriptures Christian beliefs are the result of an implant. To say that Christianity and Scientology are compatible is totally absurd.

Sure, one CAN say that one is a Christian Scientologist, but that would indicate that one is either lying or ignorant of the facts. Panda nailed it.! :thumbsup:

I suppose they could do it but I don't agree they can do it easily and sooner or later, they will be offended or drop it all together (which is the hope of the C of S) and maybe it won't be communicated directly to the person but, it will be expected that the person drops after awhile. This has been my experience, anyway.

Exactly! If the person actually attempts to sincerely practice their other religion while going up the bridge they will eventually get handled in ethics or be Declared PTS.

Actually there is a big problem.

According to Scientology scriptures Christian beliefs are the result of an implant. To say that Christianity and Scientology are compatible is totally absurd.

No, you miss the point. Nowadays many non-traditional beliefs are marketed as "christianity". These in turn are often wholly irreconciliable among themselves. Christianity never did make sense. Now it can be damn near anything desired. The joke is most cafeteria christians don't get the joke. :)

Aligning scientology up to one of these latter day versions is a peace of cake. :yes:

Tough titties to the "traditionalists". :p

Mark A. Baker

Sindy

Crusader
No, you miss the point. Nowadays many non-traditional beliefs are marketed as "christianity". These in turn are often wholly irreconciliable among themselves. Christianity never did make sense. Now it can be damn near anything desired. The joke is most cafeteria christians don't get the joke. :)

Aligning scientology up to one of these latter day versions is a peace of cake. :yes:

Tough titties to the "traditionalists". :p

Mark A. Baker

Mark, seriously.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Aligning scientology up to one of these latter day versions is a peace of cake.

For the purposes of this thread I'm not really referring to scientology as practiced outside of the CoS. ( because Juliette Lewis wasn't referring to Freezoners, but rather to Scientologists within CoS)

I saw earlier that you said:

Got a freezoner friend who is an observant anglican, auditor, & ot.

But how often does that happen within the CoS where someone up on the OT levels would actually participate seriously in some other religious practice?

From the CoS perspective I believe it would be seen as "other intentionedness", and one of the purposes of Ethics is to remove other intentionedness from the environment. It might be tolerated amongst raw meat walking through the front door but at some point it would be viewed by the org execs as something that needs to be addressed and "handled".

Mark, remember this?

"We're not playing some minor game in Scientology. It isn't cute or something to do for lack of something better.

The whole agonized future of this planet, every Man, Woman and Child on it, and your own destiny for the next endless trillions of years depend on what you do here and now with and in Scientology."

For the purposes of this thread I'm not really referring to scientology as practiced outside of the CoS. ( because Juliette Lewis wasn't referring to Freezoners, but rather to Scientologists within CoS)

I saw earlier that you said:

But how often does that happen within the CoS where someone up on the OT levels would actually participate seriously in some other religious practice?

It works for some people. It worked for my friend. Evidently it works for Juliette Lewis, whoever she may be. :)

I would tend to agree however that it is doubtful that an SO member would ever be allowed time off to attend catechism classes. :coolwink:

Mark A. Baker

Sindy

Crusader
Seriously. I've met a lot of people with strange ideas about what it means to be "christian". :whistling:

Mark A. Baker
p.s. I like the other avatar better. It's beautiful.

So, if a person isn't really being a Christian, then they can be a Christian and a Scientologist at the same time? :confused2:

Thanks, I'll change the avatar back soon :)

Clutch1.1

Patron
So, if a person isn't really being a Christian, then they can be a Christian and a Scientologist at the same time? :confused2:

I really don't think one can be both within corporate Scientology...the whole theory of implants puts that notion to bed...in the FZ/Indies....maybe.

I just know that for Co$ to remove Xmas from mention would be one less venue for them to indoctrinate.

Winter Wonderland is a prime recruiting tool dontcha know :p

Jachs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Juliette where art thou

if Miss Juliette Lewis is telling the truth its good.

if not well just more LA LA land...a mushroom kept under the umbrella of Pr darkness and fed on Pr bullshit ,

If she discovers the truths she will feel like she has been shat on from a very great height with incredible accuracy.Bulls eye.But it will be the best Shat shes experienced ever.

Apart from that i did like her in Natural born Killers.

a