What's new

I had a thought

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
PG,

I'd suggest you look elsewhere, because changing the clocking won't really give you all that much, and depending on which North/Southbridge you have on the Mobo you are potentially walking into hefty stability issues.

Performance wise - even leaving aside the stability aspect, the castration would go way beyond the CPU and might also adversely impact the Southbridge with regard to periphery I/O calls (for instance the HD, especially if that HD is EIDE or SATA and you'll probably find yourself walking into sense keys 7, 9, 11 and/or 15 if you've got a Scuzzie array) by dicking around with the timings.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I'm not going to use SCSI. It will be SATA. (SCSI is a little too pricey; I don't need the extra performance... this ain't gonna be a web server.)

I bought mounting brackets for the rack rails yesterday and today I got the casters for the bottom.

Next, I choose/buy the sliding roller-bearing rails that I want for the 1U servers. (Maybe I might choose to not mount the Linksys SWR 2016 switch on sliding rails as being unnecessary.)

Also, I have been shopping for a 16 or 24 port EMI shielded ethernet (6 or 6A) patch panel. Do you have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
PG,

Also, I have been shopping for a 16 or 24 port EMI shielded ethernet (6 or 6A) patch panel. Do you have any suggestions?

I'd need to pass there. I'm not as current as I once was on that aspect.

Sorry.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Yeah, Nec, Terril is right. Just get on with it already. So maybe a few people post one or two things you didn't want in the thread - never mind - just do your thing anyway.

Nick

I agree. Nec should just continue this thread that he created. I hope that he does. :)

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
nw2394,

I'd still like to have some input on where the thread should be located for instance.

It would be ironic to place it in the "Freezone" section but I think that could be interpreted as a snub to Terril - even though he knows it would be nothing more sinister than the manifestation of my crooked sense of humour.

As I said, I'd like something like the thread to be there for the long haul, where it could be updated as times and OS's change. It should also be in a more sparsely populated section, so that the ensuing threads of discussion wouldn't cause too much interference otherwise.

For this reason the "General" section would of course be out of the question.

I'm wanting to apply here that which one should always apply to the purchase, configuration and upgrading of Computers. That is to move ahead in accordance with the "Six P's'" (Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance). This is not however to be confused with the manifestation of interpersonal relations reflected in the "Five F's".

I was thinking of giving it the title, The Tips Thread - Home of "The Gripping Hand" and "The Crunchy Bits".

Last edited:

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
Having taken a look at the MB it would seem that the area of the board called "Essential Reading" might be a good place to locate the thread.

That is of course if nobody had any objections.

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
OK Peeps,

I've decided that the first post on the thread, if and when it comes to pass will be the answer to the following scenario:

You have just bought your shiny and new dual-core processor system and when you load up your favourite game (and I don't care what anyone says, no matter what you think you may have bought your computer for, you will always end up playing games) it bites the big one.

The game crawls along and only accepts inputs or reacts to the mouse at a speed which would make a sloth look like an Olympic sprinter. The screen reacts at a rate of frames per minute instead of frames per second.

So is the honeymoon over?

Or is there something which can be done?

Done is such a way as to cost you no extra money?

Done in such a way that you do not have to have a computer science degree to accomplish it?

The answer is YES!

Right enough I'm only going to give you guys the answer in the new thread, so give me the feedback on where you think I should locate that thread.

Unless of course one of you can figure it out on his or her own.

No fair asking MissDorfl - she knows because I told her and she is sworn to secrecy. She can confirm however that it works.

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
OK Peeps,

I've decided that the first post on the thread, if and when it comes to pass will be the answer to the following scenario:

You have just bought your shiny and new dual-core processor system and when you load up your favourite game (and I don't care what anyone says, no matter what you think you may have bought your computer for, you will always end up playing games) it bites the big one.

The game crawls along and only accepts inputs or reacts to the mouse at a speed which would make a sloth look like an Olympic sprinter. The screen reacts at a rate of frames per minute instead of frames per second.

So is the honeymoon over?

Or is there something which can be done?

Done is such a way as to cost you no extra money?

Done in such a way that you do not have to have a computer science degree to accomplish it?

The answer is YES!

Right enough I'm only going to give you guys the answer in the new thread, so give me the feedback on where you think I should locate that thread.

Unless of course one of you can figure it out on his or her own.

No fair asking MissDorfl - she knows because I told her and she is sworn to secrecy. She can confirm however that it works.

My name is MissDorfl and I endorse this message!

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
I have put in a request for permission in the "Essential Reading" partition of this MB to post.

They were there first there and they have the first and only dibs on telling me to fuck off.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I think it is a great idea to post your tips, Nec.

But this is a discussion board. That is its character, and having a one-source thread isn't in keeping with that.

Why not post your tips and indulge in whatever discussion follows, including the thread-diversion and all the other stuff that happens here, but also cull out the good stuff, i.e. your pearls of wisdom, and archive them somewhere else that you have total control over?

Such as www.necstips.com or wherever. It costs about $7 or $8 a year to register and maintain such a domain name and maybe $5 or so a month to host it somewhere. Or use it to redirect to a free site like www.freewebs.com/necstips and you wouldn't even have to pay the $5 a month.

You then have total control over what you display and how you display it. You can index it. Even go back and edit something more than 24 hours later. :)

You could even host your own message board on the site too for no extra cost.

Paul

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
DullOldFart,

this is not meant as a flame, but I would really suggest that you go back and read my post again. At no point did I imply that I would intend the thread to be "Single Source". That is what you have read into the post, and you might want to get back to me on that when you have actually realised your error.

The only thing which I would want is that others either contribute with Tips and/or Advice or STFU on that ONE SINGLE THREAD.

From talking with Terril I found that there are things which are patently obvious to me, but are arcane knowledge with cryptic seals to him.

I suppose I could "Fuck off and take it elsewhere" as you are effectively saying. The thing is that I had the idea to do it whilst I was speaking with people here. And to follow your advice would probably mean that I wouldn't bother, simply because there is no incentive in it for me to do it for a bunch of strangers.

It's posts like yours that just plain and simply suck the fun right out of the whole thing. And just as you have posted above, trashing the whole idea; without consensus not to do so I know that you or some others would just go on the thread and trash it, ruining the fun for everybody. You and others like you would trash it just to show that you could.

Nec_V20

Patron Meritorious
I've given up on the idea.

End of thread as far as I'm concerned.

If you have any computer problems, then PM or Skype me. To some I will reply and the rest can go and take a fuck to themselves.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
DullOldFart,

this is not meant as a flame, but I would really suggest that you go back and read my post again. At no point did I imply that I would intend the thread to be "Single Source". That is what you have read into the post, and you might want to get back to me on that when you have actually realised your error.

The only thing which I would want is that others either contribute with Tips and/or Advice or STFU on that ONE SINGLE THREAD.

From talking with Terril I found that there are things which are patently obvious to me, but are arcane knowledge with cryptic seals to him.

I suppose I could "Fuck off and take it elsewhere" as you are effectively saying. The thing is that I had the idea to do it whilst I was speaking with people here. And to follow your advice would probably mean that I wouldn't bother, simply because there is no incentive in it for me to do it for a bunch of strangers.

It's posts like yours that just plain and simply suck the fun right out of the whole thing. And just as you have posted above, trashing the whole idea; without consensus not to do so I know that you or some others would just go on the thread and trash it, ruining the fun for everybody. You and others like you would trash it just to show that you could.

Sorry I didn't express myself well, Nec. I would appreciate your helpful computing tips. It seems that you aren't going to be giving them here now, but if you get around to resurrecting the idea please let me know.

Paul

jodie

Patron with Honors
More likely nothing so serious. Just a narcissistic gasbag.

Zinj

:) Pretty much the same thing. Whether doing it as a line of work for someone (OSA), or doing it for Ego reasons, the effect is the same.

That sequence was not the first time I had seen it happening. Start a thread which is off-topic, but reasonable, interesting even. Then, in this case, suggest a move to a section which was not really the right place (The Reading section, which is for books). A perfectly acceptable place for the thread to move would have been "off-topic discussion." No biggie.

Then Emma steps in with a perfectly reasonable, friendly reply to say not unless books are listed. Then we have a major drama queen hissy fit, all toys were thrown out of the cot. Total over-reaction, plus getting nasty in the process. So what was really a small minor thing, of where best to move a discussion, is suddenly twisted into focusing on what Emma's role as Board owner is, and what she should/should not be doing. (Where have I heard that one before? Just recently?).

Whether for Ego or OSA: Agent provocateur.

- jodie

PS - twisting actual issues and discussions thereof into personal ad hominem attacks is high up on Carl Sagan's Baloney detection kit.