What's new

What is the purpose of Life?

Div6

Crusader
There has been a continuous search and debate by philosophers over many centuries for what really matters in life; for the purpose of life; for the highest good in life and hence, its goal or calling. It is a personal issue and it is a social issue as well. Whatever you decide to do with your life affects us all in some way or other. A brief summary of some of the ideas of the great thinkers of the ages is given in the table below:

http://home.att.net/~talk2perry/what_matters.htm

Hubbards ACTIONS (Ethos) fall under Sophistry IMHO.....his words (Logos) are all over the map.....

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
There has been a continuous search and debate by philosophers over many centuries for what really matters in life; for the purpose of life; for the highest good in life and hence, its goal or calling. It is a personal issue and it is a social issue as well. Whatever you decide to do with your life affects us all in some way or other. A brief summary of some of the ideas of the great thinkers of the ages is given in the table below:

Vereeeeeeee Interesting!

Though I disagree with some of the stated philosophers purposes.

Aristotle's off times stated purpose was Happiness - how to achieve that was through Self-Realization.

Ghandi's off times stated purpose was restoration of Omni-Sovereignty and Harmony - how to achieve that was through non-violence.

Re: Ghandi, few people know he had the rights to Napolean Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" and distributed over 250,000 copies of that book throughout India.

Alan

ExScnDude

Patron with Honors
I'll hitch my wagon to Richard Cumberland - welfare of the group, society.

Does he have a cult I can join?

Mojo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Where is Hubbards answer?

Hubbard discovered (after all) what the entire bunch of these former so-called philosophers (being mere scientology pc's) had missed all along. SURVIVE!...and...TOTAL FREEDOM (to boot)!

Jeesh. Apparently it never dawned on this esteemed aforementioned group that all of their collective theories about the purpose of life was contingent upon their survival in life. No survival = no purpose. Elementary. And how in the world did they manage to survive prior to knowing that their survival was paramount to their purpose of life?

And how could every single one of them missed it? (along with Zinjifar too).

Implants I say.

Think OTIII, and the entire mess clears itself up (quite nicely).

Imagine if Socrates, or Plato, or Kant had been given the unspeakable benefit of 'knowing how to know' all about Xenu and his implants? All three would have disavowed their own mocked-up theories, burned their own books, regged their own followers and signed up for the billion year contract with Ron's sea-org in a heart beat. I know Ghandi would have jumped at the chance. And Napoleon Hill would have done a serious amends for ever having penned his 'Think and Grow Rich' piece of tech-squirreling fraud.

Mojo

P.S. as a footnote to world history (post-dianetics) the internet site:

was debunked, dismembered, and altogether banned from 'public' consumption owing to the severe enturbulation it caused to the unsuspecting readers of it.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Napoleon Hill would have done a serious amends for ever having penned his 'Think and Grow Rich' piece of tech-squirreling fraud.

Mojo

Humph! If Napoleon Hill had of known "survive and the Xenu secrets" he would have titled his book - "Think and Make L Ron Hubbard Grow Richer!"

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

Hubbards ACTIONS (Ethos) fall under Sophistry IMHO.....his words (Logos) are all over the map.....

Do you mean generally or specifically?

Specifically (ideally) a person's purposes in life are whatever they make them to be.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Humph! If Napoleon Hill had of known "survive and the Xenu secrets" he would have titled his book - "Think and Make L Ron Hubbard Grow Richer!"

I found it quite interesting to read that 1937 book for the first time a few months back. It seemed to me that there is a hell of a lot in there that Hubbard ripped off uncredited, although he may have ripped it off uncredited from earlier sources that Hill used too.

If anyone wants to comment specifically on the similarities, I have each paragraph in the book numbered at www.yawnandgrowrich.com.

Paul

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is no such thing as a generalised "life", and so there can be no purpose whatever to it.

There is only individualised life, i.e. My life, Your life, Vinny''s life, Emma's life, etc etc.

So the only question is what is the purpose of YOUR life?

It is up to you alone to set yourself a purpose and then have it.

Don't expect God or anyone else to help you make some sense out of your existence by giving you some glorious purpose - it ain't going to happen.

Only you can do it.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Many times in my thinking about the purpose of life based on Hubbardian think, I came to the conclusion that ultimately there was none. I found that thought dismaying every time I reached it. If you achieve total cause (God) then you have achieved a no game condition. If we are to return to native state - what is that? Pure static - no nutin'. I guess the only purpose in life for oneself, is that which you assign.

What is important in life is a bit different question than what is the purpose of life. One thing for sure: "To survive" doesn't float my boat. I'd have to say "To Create" seems better.

What is the purpose of my life here on Earth this lifetime - that is more to the point. I agree with Leon: It is whatever I choose it to be.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
What is important in life is a bit different question than what is the purpose of life. One thing for sure: "To survive" doesn't float my boat. I'd have to say "To Create" seems better.

What is the purpose of my life here on Earth this lifetime - that is more to the point. I agree with Leon: It is whatever I choose it to be.

Yep, that's the conclusion I came to as well. :)

Songbird

Patron
PirateandBum said:
Once upon a time, on a message board far far away, NecV20 asked: "What is your definition of power in ten words or less?"
His definition was seven words: "The ability to say no with impunity."
My definition was four words: "The ability to create."

I agree with you, Pirate - to "survive" doesn't cut it - to create, now that's something else..... :)

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Silver Meritorious Patron
I once mocked up an entity and placed it in my old car and I allowed it it's own identity and self-determinism. Isn't that what any decent god would do? What if the I that I am operating with now is simply an identity that another part of me mocked up to keep something going?

Last edited: