What's new

FACT OR FICTION

radar

Patron
I knew about Hubbard when I was a young man from his science fiction books. The xenu story, body thetans , floating needles,OT levels, implant stations in the sky which are so much a part of scientology beleif and tech, remind me of his science fiction books and are obviously are just an extension of Hubbards science fiction imagination. Somehow he turned his science fiction thinking into some sort of Pseudo science with an OLOGY on the end. But why do so many intellegent people get sucked into this beleif system ?

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I knew about Hubbard when I was a young man from his science fiction books. The xenu story, body thetans , floating needles,OT levels, implant stations in the sky which are so much a part of scientology beleif and tech, remind me of his science fiction books and are obviously are just an extension of Hubbards science fiction imagination. Somehow he turned his science fiction thinking into some sort of Pseudo science with an OLOGY on the end. But why do so many intellegent people get sucked into this beleif system ?

That's an ongoing question with no single or simple answer, but, the most universal is 'they were tricked'.

Nobody 'joins' Scientology for what Scientology really is. And, of course, nowdays and highly represented here on ESMB, they were *born* into it. Currently this seems to be the foundation of almost all 'Church' growth.

Zinj

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Some might argue whether or not I'm intelligent :)melodramatic:) but I have to say I'm still inclined to believe in implant stations in the sky, BTs, even floating needles!

I just checked that I still believe in these things and I don't just say I do to make Mick laugh, but yes, I believe.

Do I know for sure? No.
One thing I have doubts over is the whole OTIII story as described.
I do remember Xenu though, although by another name. He came up in my auditing long before I heard the OTIII story. I had a hard time not self-invalidating some more track recall on him during recent auditing because he's been made into this boogeyman figure. When I accepted that it was him I felt a lot better.

radar

Patron
Some might argue whether or not I'm intelligent :)melodramatic:) but I have to say I'm still inclined to believe in implant stations in the sky, BTs, even floating needles!

I just checked that I still believe in these things and I don't just say I do to make Mick laugh, but yes, I believe.

Do I know for sure? No.
One thing I have doubts over is the whole OTIII story as described.
I do remember Xenu though, although by another name. He came up in my auditing long before I heard the OTIII story. I had a hard time not self-invalidating some more track recall on him during recent auditing because he's been made into this boogeyman figure. When I accepted that it was him I felt a lot better.

Why do you believe that Implant stations in the sky exist?

radar

Patron
That's an ongoing question with no single or simple answer, but, the most universal is 'they were tricked'.

nowdays and highly represented here on ESMB, they were *born* into it. Currently this seems to be the foundation of almost all 'Church' growth.

Zinj

This is true of the Watchtower organisation also

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron

Disregarding your "characterizations" of scientology as pseudo science and obvious imaginings, and a belief system, I would have to say "because it works".

The long answer would be that people can try out the techniques and see the effect of them. They can examine the ideas and see how they apply to life. They can experience "body thetans" and floating needles.

If all the things you mention did not have corresponding real experiential backup, then intelligent people would not get sucked into it.

Read peoples stories and you will see than in many cases, "scientology" did work for them for a time, but that the culture of the church was the main factor in them abandoning it.

Perhaps a way you could look at it is to separate the subject of scientology and its philosophy and technology from the activities and culture of the "Church" that is the main promoter of such.

alex

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Why do you believe that Implant stations in the sky exist?

You want me to explain why I'm crazy? :whistling:

Okay.

Recall. Overts and motivators.

Also, the fact that seeing the space station in 2001 A Space Odyssey made me sick as a dog for a couple of days and I still feel like puking when I hear The Blue Danube Waltz (having said that, a lot of modern music makes me feel like puking - especially rap :) )

I ought to add that I'm willing to be disabused of all these notions. It's how I see things right now and I'm willing to change my point of view.

It's not even an important belief - just a way-out and wacky one. Important beliefs are ones such as the need for personal integrity and treating others as you'd like them to treat you, etc.

radar

Patron
:sad:

I think everyone is a bit crazy or else people wouldn't go about their daily lives as if everything is normal and sane. I mean we are on this planet spinning in space somewhere in time, on which every one of us will eventualy die, and not really knowing what we are doing here anyhow..How crazy is that?

By the way when I was a watchtower slave, I really did believe that I was never going to die or grow too old and that God was going to save me from death at Armageddon. I never payed into life insurance or took out a pension plan for that reason. How sad is that:sad:

Tanstaafl

Crusader
:sad:

I think everyone is a bit crazy or else people wouldn't go about their daily lives as if everything is normal and sane. I mean we are on this planet spinning in space somewhere in time, on which every one of us will eventualy die, and not really knowing what we are doing here anyhow..How crazy is that?

By the way when I was a watchtower slave, I really did believe that I was never going to die or grow too old and that God was going to save me from death at Armageddon. I never payed into life insurance or took out a pension plan for that reason. How sad is that:sad:

Not sad at all. I've been equally gullible re Scn/Hubbard.

What's important is that we continue to learn/evolve.
One of the biggest steps we can take toward that IMO is to lose our concern over what others think of our actions and the fear of looking foolish.