Sen. Xenophon calls for "cult watchdog" agency

mnql1

Patron Meritorious
Call for agency watch on cults

by Catherine Hockley, in Canberra
The Advertiser
April 15, 2011

A "CULT-busting" agency must be set up to investigate groups who exploit "vulnerable individuals".

South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon will today call for a dedicated government agency to be set up to "monitor and control the activities of cults in Australia".

He will also call for law reform to protect "vulnerable individuals from cult activities", and for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to investigate protections.

Mr Xenophon said the "cult watchdog" would be based on French agency MIVILUDES, which was established a decade ago.

"MIVILUDES has received bipartisan support, and has provided assistance and support to those affected by cults," Mr Xenophon said. "There is evidence that cult-like behaviour in France has been significantly curtailed by the existence of such a watchdog."

"These organisations, which invariably receive tax-free status, offer books, courses, seminars and other so-called educational programs, often at enormous cost, with questionable value or benefits," he said.

The Government has expressed doubts over its constitutional powers to introduce a watchdog body.

Nick Xenophon in pensive mood at Parliament House in Canberra.
Picture: Kym Smith Source: The Advertiser

Jump

Operating teatime
That would be a great thing. At present there is nobody to complain to about harmful practices of groups disguised as a 'religion'.

At present we know what some cult-like groups can too easily get away with.

Great work Senator Xenophon, keep at it!

:thumbsup:

namaste

Silver Meritorious Patron

by Catherine Hockley, in Canberra
The Advertiser
April 15, 2011

A "CULT-busting" agency must be set up to investigate groups like Scientology who exploit "vulnerable individuals".

South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon will today call for a dedicated government agency to be set up to "monitor and control the activities of cults like Scientology in Australia".

He will also call for law reform to protect "vulnerable individuals from cult activities" like those of the Church of Scientology, and for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to investigate protections.

Mr Xenophon said the "cult watchdog" would be based on French agency MIVILUDES, which was established a decade ago.

"MIVILUDES has received bipartisan support, and has provided assistance and support to those affected by cults like Scientology," Mr Xenophon said. "There is evidence that cult-like behaviour in France where Scientology was whacked has been significantly curtailed by the existence of such a watchdog."

"These organisations like Scientology, which invariably receive tax-free status, offer books, courses, seminars and other so-called educational programs, often at enormous cost, with questionable value or benefits," he said.

The Government has expressed doubts over its constitutional powers to introduce a watchdog body.

f'xd

Absolutely if cults can use the government to shield them under the umbrella of religious freedom then the government should be responsible to shield the public from them.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
xenophon20110415.png

L E G E N D

A

Annonny

I bet the CoS is digging real hard into Xenophon's background to find some dirt. I just hope they don't manage to shut him up, like they did to Bob Minton. I'm sure OSA is working overtime right now, trying to creat a little "Xenophon Freakout".

shadow

Patron with Honors
Nick is doin' it right!

I love to see abuse under scrutiny; especially when that abuse is cloaked in religion and has special tax privileges.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I don't really like the idea of the government intervening on things ideological/religious/life choices, BUT, CofS warrants this. So do some other cults.

Sadly, I guess we do need things like this.

A

Annonny

I don't really like the idea of the government intervening on things ideological/religious/life choices, BUT, CofS warrants this. So do some other cults.

Sadly, I guess we do need things like this.

He doesn't interfere with religious choice, provided they indeed are choices. He just wants to make sure that whoever wants to leave- can.
In addition, it is up for the government to enforce the law and make sure that a "religion" does not do anything illegal. For example - I do believe that the molesting catholic priests need to be criminally prosecuted and in some countries they indeed were.

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
Dear Buddha and GheeBus and Quan Yin please send us a Xenophon for the USA.

Dear Mystic, your bonafide spiritual petition has been duly received, noted, and approved. In the coming days (of 'this spiritual season') your wish has become our command.

It is our fervent & certain hope & trust you do not find the physical manifest nature of Mr. Xenophon's coming American counterpart to be a distraction. As being a woman carries with it certain unique & inherent spiritual qualities that are called for and necessary in the fulfillment of your (and our) ultimate Spiritual Aim.

Sincerely,
Buddha, GheeBus & Quan Yin

Co-signed by: THALES, SOCRATES, PLATO, ARISTOTLE: PLOTINUS, ST AUGUSTINE, ST ANSELM, ST AQUINAS, MACHIAVELLI, DESCARTES: HOBBES, SPINOZA, MALEBRANCHE, LOCKE, LEIBNIZ, BERKELEY, HUME, ROUSSEAU, KANT, FICHTE, HEGEL, KIERKEGUAARD, SHOPENHAUER, MILL, FREGE, RUSSELL, WITTGENSTEIN, HEIDEGGER, SARTE, and others too numerous too mention here.

Future Historical Footnote: Marx declined to sign up or on. As did Jack the Ripper.

smartone

My Own Boss

But what does it mean by this. Sounds a bit contradictory.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

It means that the Gubmint is afraid of getting its hands dirty.
Senator Xenophon isn't the Gubmint, we just wish he was.

FoTi

Crusader
I bet the CoS is digging real hard into Xenophon's background to find some dirt. I just hope they don't manage to shut him up, like they did to Bob Minton. I'm sure OSA is working overtime right now, trying to creat a little "Xenophon Freakout".

Well....if they don't find anything, they will just make it up, like they've done before. Since when does the CoS let truth stand in their way?

LRH spoke of "The Road to Truth",..... he just neglected to say that it didn't exist in the CoS.

Jump

Operating teatime

The Government knows it has the powers, it just wants to see what kinda opposition there will be to the idea - just like before the Inquiry went ahead.

There will be no credible opposition to the idea, because it is sound.

:yes: