What's new

I had a thought

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
:) Pretty much the same thing. Whether doing it as a line of work for someone (OSA), or doing it for Ego reasons, the effect is the same.

That sequence was not the first time I had seen it happening. Start a thread which is off-topic, but reasonable, interesting even. Then, in this case, suggest a move to a section which was not really the right place (The Reading section, which is for books). A perfectly acceptable place for the thread to move would have been "off-topic discussion." No biggie.

Then Emma steps in with a perfectly reasonable, friendly reply to say not unless books are listed. Then we have a major drama queen hissy fit, all toys were thrown out of the cot. Total over-reaction, plus getting nasty in the process. So what was really a small minor thing, of where best to move a discussion, is suddenly twisted into focusing on what Emma's role as Board owner is, and what she should/should not be doing. (Where have I heard that one before? Just recently?).

Whether for Ego or OSA: Agent provocateur.

- jodie

According to wikipedia an agent provocateur
(plural: agents provocateurs, French for "inciting agent") is a person who secretly disrupts a group's activities from within the group. Agents provocateurs typically represent the interests of another group, or are agents directly assigned to provoke unrest, violence, debate, or argument by or within a group while acting as a member of the group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

You haven't, perchance, read too many Tom Padgett posts?

PS - twisting actual issues and discussions thereof into personal ad hominem attacks is high up on Carl Sagan's Baloney detection kit.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

If you want to follow this, half of the posts on this MB are fallacious - and that's a conservative guess. :)

beyond_horizons

Patron Meritorious
If you want to follow this, half of the posts on this MB are fallacious - and that's a conservative guess. :)
Perhaps Nec should set up his own X scientologist message board. That way he can have a tech thread and piss on folks carpets, and have fun sending all the fallacious posts to the 'Fallacious Post' section.
:)

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
Perhaps Nec should set up his own X scientologist message board. That way he can have a tech thread and piss on folks carpets, and have fun sending all the fallacious posts to the 'Fallacious Post' section.

Thank you for supporting my point! Do you want to point out your fallacy or shall I? :)

Terril park

Sponsor
:) Pretty much the same thing. Whether doing it as a line of work for someone (OSA), or doing it for Ego reasons, the effect is the same.

That sequence was not the first time I had seen it happening. Start a thread which is off-topic, but reasonable, interesting even. Then, in this case, suggest a move to a section which was not really the right place (The Reading section, which is for books). A perfectly acceptable place for the thread to move would have been "off-topic discussion." No biggie.

Then Emma steps in with a perfectly reasonable, friendly reply to say not unless books are listed. Then we have a major drama queen hissy fit, all toys were thrown out of the cot. Total over-reaction, plus getting nasty in the process. So what was really a small minor thing, of where best to move a discussion, is suddenly twisted into focusing on what Emma's role as Board owner is, and what she should/should not be doing. (Where have I heard that one before? Just recently?).

Whether for Ego or OSA: Agent provocateur.

- jodie

PS - twisting actual issues and discussions thereof into personal ad hominem attacks is high up on Carl Sagan's Baloney detection kit.

Nec is a personal friend. To suggest he's OSA is ridiculous.

He is not driven by egotistical reasons at all. I do concede it might apopear that way.

A drama queen? Certainly a good imitation.

A hissy fit and chucking his toys out of the pram? Definitely!

I don't know if he has good people skills, though I doubt it. As
a friend one has no problems.

He dosn't actually want to use good people skills even if he could.
He has described himself as an asshole several times. He has demonstrated the truth of that.

However he was offering selfless service. I know this was genuine. I
have been on the recieving end of that, and so has my son. Another
example was his recieving a £1500 bar tab. He in a few minutes solved someones tech support problem for a large company. No one else from microsoft down had solved it, and much bucks had been thrown at the problem. Given gratis to someone he was having a few beers with.

He is VERY good at what he does, and loves to do it.

beyond_horizons

Patron Meritorious
Thank you for supporting my point! Do you want to point out your fallacy or shall I? :)
Anyway I supported his tech thread efforts, but I doubt if I would have engaged with it, since around our house the Mrs.’s and kids aren’t particularly interested in 'piss on the carpets'!

Seems Nec is the one who enjoys getting himself kicked off of message boards and whining about it. I simply offered him another option in jest!

I'm sure he took it as joke!

MissDorfl

Patron with Honors
Forwarded from nec_v20:
OK the problem is that you have the shiny new Dual-(Quad-) Core processor computer and you load up X3 and it crawls.

The solution is to go into the task manager and set all processes to CPU 0 and X3 ALONE onto CPU 1.

Why does this make X3 run faster? Because in the new Dual-Core processor each CPU has its own L2-Cache.

Now setting the whole thing by hand is a bit of a pain, and you would have to do it each and every time you reboot.

Here is a handy little tool which will take the the effort out of that:

http://www.koma-code.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=93

Enjoy!

Where you get the boost of assigning X3 or any game for that matter to one processor and all other processes to the other, is that the L2 Cache will not be marked "dirty" at every turn forcing X3 to go to request data from RAM (which then gets loaded into L2-Cache where the processor picks it up), which is VERY wasteful of clock cycles and thus has the CPU effectively running in NOP or even Helen Keller mode.

Both Intel and AMD have a separate L2 Cache for each processor. So the boost will be felt on either of the dual-core processors.

What difference does the L2 Cache make? Well try turning it of in BIOS and watch XP crawl along - never mind loading X3.

I've been using SMP systems for over seven years now. So this is not really a new thing. And anyone interested in more than just hype might want to do a search on SMP (Symmetrical Multi-Processing) and get a better overview of the matter.

And FWIW, I myself can testify to a win with this. :yes:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I got a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 today. (It's a webcam.)

I will be interesting to learn what I can do with this using Skype in the following weeks. :)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I got a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 today. (It's a webcam.)

I will be interesting to learn what I can do with this using Skype in the following weeks. :)

I got the earlier similar version of the Quickcam Fusion. It works quite well, especially the low-light capability. I don't like the fixed-focus on mine, though. It's fun with Skype.

Paul

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
I vote that Nec be given another chance (at least for this thread).

Just tell him (again) to curb his temper.

?

As far as I know, he never even used up his *first* chance. He asked to be removed from the board; I doubt that there's any problem with 're-joining'.

He wasn't kicked off; he wasn't even particularly 'chided'. He just wasn't taken as seriously as he wanted to be, so he stomped his little foot and walked off, as usual, not without making a grand gesture of petulance in asking to be removed, when all he really needed was not to post (if that was what he wanted.)

I can't say he's one of my favorite people, but, I also can't say that his presence here bothered me much. Come; go; post; don't. It's all the same to me...

Zinj

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Come; go; post; don't. It's all the same to me...

Really.

What is it with these people that "request" or demand to be banned?

Reminds me of the kids in the 60s who would try to get arrested during the riots.

Trying to make themselves into some kind of fucking martyrs or something.

If you want to leave, then leave.

You need an engraved invitation? :eyeroll:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I got the earlier similar version of the Quickcam Fusion. It works quite well, especially the low-light capability. I don't like the fixed-focus on mine, though. It's fun with Skype.

Paul

Thanks for the Skype assistance you provided. I appreciate it a lot. :)

Apparently we can also do conference video (I haven't tried it yet). This would be interesting to do in the future.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for the Skype assistance you provided. I appreciate it a lot. :)

Apparently we can also do conference video (I haven't tried it yet). This would be interesting to do in the future.

You're welcome. :)

I haven't tried conference video. I have tried Skypecast in audio only, where you can host a "show" to up to 100 people at a time, free of charge, public or private. The host can control who has an open mic at any one time. I did over 50 group auditing sessions like this a few months back, that were fun.

Paul

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Do any of you I.T. types have any experience in using a punch-down tool to terminate ethernet wires in patch panels?

I am shopping for one and I would appreciate personal experience stories. I'm reading that Fluke tools are pretty good but they don't always get a high star rating.

Just personal experience - don't bother to look this up for me. I have already been doing this.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Thanks! I appreciate the personal testimony. :)

That model is one I have been considering for 110 (on a 90 degree EMI shielded CAT-6 patch panel).
(That's about the price I expected too.)