What's new

Stonelands

frhidden

Patron with Honors
frhidden, I think you'll find that many declared SPs are actually quite pleasant people. For instance myself, most of the time I don't carry a chainsaw.

So even years ago they were sec checking people who used the internet, how long ago was that?

Hi LLLL,

Pity. I fancy a chain-saw fight from time to time.

It was actually not that long ago I was sec-checked, about six years ago. I always granted myself full Internet access. No Internet Nanny for me, ever. :)

I always trusted myself to judge whether I should or should not be in communication with someone. I never needed the CofS to dictate that to me. Actually I find SP's to be well above the average of humankind.

solo

Patron with Honors
Does anyone remember Paul Bennett? He was the funniest person at Stonelands (some time between 1974 and 1980), told jokes all the time. Somehow he ended up in the SO with two little children, and I think he worked in Div 2. Anyway, when he left he told me he was going back out into the world to become a stand-up comedian. I guess life was too serious at Stonelands. I've often wondered what happened!

Solo

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
Does anyone remember Paul Bennett? He was the funniest person at Stonelands (some time between 1974 and 1980), told jokes all the time. Somehow he ended up in the SO with two little children, and I think he worked in Div 2. Anyway, when he left he told me he was going back out into the world to become a stand-up comedian. I guess life was too serious at Stonelands. I've often wondered what happened!

Solo
Hi Solo, he married Christine and went to live in South Africa as far as I know. I thought he was great too. Always made me laugh. Christine was lovely too. They were really good friends with Nick and Kirsty ____?

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
Hi Solo, he married Christine and went to live in South Africa as far as I know. I thought he was great too. Always made me laugh. Christine was lovely too. They were really good friends with Nick and Kirsty ____?

Also, whatever happened to Mark Gardiner. Loved his music ?

vumba

Danielle Chamberlin
Re: St. Hill people

thanks Paul.
So are Nicola and Vashti still there? (Cant imagine)
How about Norman Wade what happened to him?
What about Alf Wilson is he still alive, he must be getting on now

What abourt Tony Bazook or whatever his name was. an exec, we played
Tennis at the front of St. Hill a few times

Oh yeah, then Ruth from New York, who must have been about 60 at the time.
She used to shuffle around the kitchen and say very sternly, something like

"milk only only for tea......"

With her lovely New Yorker accent

Wouldn't a reuniion be a great thing, dont you think, then we could all go down to Saint Hill for a guided tour of the manor.....:eyeroll:

Hi again. I remember Nicola and Vashti well... they were married to two brothers too weren't they?

Ruthie was married to lovely old Alex, who was quite a good artist. I remember a painting he did of a tiger that used to hang in the hallway of Stonelands upstairs by the bookcase.

Tony Baziuk was a good friend of my brother in law at the time (Chris Haritou) but I think he stayed in.

Wow Norman Wade and Alf Wilson... wonder what happened to them, and to John Cronin, Mick Parkee, Quinton McDougall, Mark Gardiner, The Shantz family, The Quirinos, Trisha Morgan, Lee Morgan, Elizabeth Collins, The Bolgers, Peter Whitehouse and Pauline Chatterton, and so it goes on!!!

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi Vumba,

I don't have any info on lots who you mention, but I read somewhere on ESMB that dear Mick Parkee is still in but has moved on from his post as cook at Stonelands. Trisha Morgan left, I think ages ago.

Peter Morgan phoned me during the Basics saga. He was Chaplain at SH and promised to sort out the thing about my account being filched to pay for the Basics that I never signed up for. Never heard from him after that. He said he'd paid a visit to Australia to see his sons and sounded sad about his estrangement from them. I'm not sure which sons these were as I think he had more than one wife.

Ivis and Bob Bolger are at Flag last I heard, and their eldest daughter (forget her name) is, I think, in the hole at RTC or at least on staff there.

I just can hardly believe that those folks are still putting up with that slave driving organization.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Re: St. Hill people

Tony Baziuk was a good friend of my brother in law at the time (Chris Haritou) but I think he stayed in.

Wow Norman Wade and Alf Wilson... wonder what happened to them, and to John Cronin, Mick Parkee, Quinton McDougall, Mark Gardiner, The Shantz family, The Quirinos, Trisha Morgan, Lee Morgan, Elizabeth Collins, The Bolgers, Peter Whitehouse and Pauline Chatterton, and so it goes on!!!

Tony Baziuk is with ABLE Int still, I think. You can Google him.

John Cronin died. When I visited SH around 2002 I stayed at a house that had Mark Gardner and his wife in it. He had taken out a bank loan to pay off his Freeloader Bill (can you believe that?). Elizabeth Collins married Ian Feldmesser and they were in LA years ago. I last spoke to Sylvia when she was auditing me in the RPF in 1996, but I forget what she said about Lizzie's then-current situation. Bolgers are at FSO I believe. Peter Whitehouse you can Google, works in the martial arts arena still I assume. Last time I looked he was teaching police forces or something. Pauline I last heard was uplines doing finance stuff still. The others I don't know about.

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I just saw this quoted - yes she was! :biggrin:

Although it was inappropriate as she was not chunky at all. I remember examining her ass in a pair of jeans once to see if the name fitted and deciding it didn't. Examining by eye from a short distance away, not by feel. :)

I don't know where the name came from. Alan Gilbertson used to generate names like that frequently, the only one of which I remember is "Suzie What's-on-Telly?" for Susan Watson-Taylor.

To satisfy my curiosity I wondered if Alan was still around. He is, and here is his blog contact info: http://blog.gngcreative.com/?page_id=2.

Paul

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Perhaps we had too much time on the RPF to play with names. It kept you amused while you struggled with wheel barrows full of sticky clay and gum boots stuck in the mud, while it was raining and the wind howling and you were running a temperature.

Thinking about it, it was a fairly unpleasant experience.

My favourite memory was going down a drain near the steps nearest the dairy farm next door. The drain was full of putrid liquid and solids from the farm next door. A kind of fermented cow shit soup. We were drenched in the stuff, it was claustrophobic, toxic and overall life threatening. I was so tired after cleaning the drain and getting some sort of function back to it, all I wanted to do was lie down and cry. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever done.

Some crew complained because we showered in the crew showers. There were no RPF showers. We were risking our lives and immune systems for the crew and our thanks were bitter complaints because it smelled bad. We knew that, from close contact, it was in my ears, nose, eyes finger nails, bellybutton, etc. We also knew that an RPFer had already died from TB. The liquids drained into the pond that our hut was standing next to. I wonder how the flap would have been handled if more RPFers had died. The stupid bit was that farmer next door who had no drainage and had his cattle knee high in dung should have been forced to handle the drain, not risk the lives of people who had been considered expendable.

Some occupants of Stonelands looked down their noses at the ramshackle bunch of hairy dirty people who continuously risked their health for them. I wonder why any RPFers ever get over their low self esteem.

Such a shame too because it was a truly beautiful, if abused, building.

solo

Patron with Honors
I thought the person who died from TB was Phil Shaw, the AO DTS. A Scottish lad called Tom also contracted it but survived. I remember everyone at Saint Hill having to be x-rayed in a mobile screening van, it caused a huge flap.......... It was supposedly down to people being berthed in the boat house by the stagnant pool at Stonelands.

Re names, I never heard those particular ones, poor Beryl Garside! She was sweet.

I think Bronwyn Bolger was one of the SO crew at Gold who wrote (or signed, anyway!) letters complaining about the "upsetting" protests outside a couple of years ago.

Peter Morgan had four children, all boys, two with Lee and two with Trisha. I guess Lee took her two boys back to Australia. I would love to know what happened to Trish, and particularly her younger son, Oliver, who was the baby discovered in my pending basket when Captain Bill arrived on mission.............

Solo

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Yes that's what it was called, the boat house. Damp and with a broken night storage heater. You could almost cook on it, but two feet away it was freezing. I think that was the name of the guy that died.

Grim days!

I love the baby in the in basket, though I think it should have been pending.

Beryl was lovely, she didn't deserve the name, but it was such a good name, it would have been a great shame to not use it.

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
I must have been covering as MLO around the time the tiny Oliver who could fit into a pending basket was born. There had been several below normal weight babies born to staff and a visit was made by some health authority to check up on it. I can't recall how that was done or what I said to said authority.

It is not surprising though, that those babies born to overworked, inadequately fed mothers entered this world underweight and undernourished.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Kutta, no it's not surprising that SO babies could be underweight.

Of course it should be understood that the baby didn't have to choose that mother, it is the babies fault and not the the mother's fault for not blowing earlier. Certainly not the SO's fault, the SO being the victim of ineffective staff who didn't make enough money.

I do hope the kid escaped and found food.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Although it was inappropriate as she was not chunky at all. I remember examining her ass in a pair of jeans once to see if the name fitted and deciding it didn't. Examining by eye from a short distance away, not by feel. :)

I don't know where the name came from. Alan Gilbertson used to generate names like that frequently, the only one of which I remember is "Suzie What's-on-Telly?" for Susan Watson-Taylor.

To satisfy my curiosity I wondered if Alan was still around. He is, and here is his blog contact info: http://blog.gngcreative.com/?page_id=2.

Paul

I remember doing the same thing Paul. Sheila wasn't large, my guess is that because she could be a force to be reckoned with it was to make her seem a normal person or something. My Dad still calls her that when he talks of Saint Hill.
Pauline Chatterbox = Pauline Chatterton I seem to remember?

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Pauline Chatterton, very round lady, worked in the finance office by the back gate. Lovely lady and really liked to chat, so that name was appropriate. Beryl Garside was a bubbly warm personality, so Burial Graveside kind of fit, in an ironic way. Bob Reisenstein, well it's just the name really.

solo

Patron with Honors
I believe that the reason Oliver Morgan was underweight may have been because Trish was on the RPF while pregnant, wheeling barrows on the castle building site, and he was born prematurely. The nursery refused to take him because he was so little and they were understaffed. Trish was ordered to be on post, so she had to bring him in to the org. Captain Bill went crazy (oh no that was later....)

Actually, it can't have been the pending basket, which obviously would have been full of backlogged filing, unanswered letters and ethics chits. I expect it was the in basket!

There's an Oliver Morgan who works for the Guardian newspaper, btw....

It was Bob Rosenstein, what a character! Rise and shine LOL, anyone know what happened to him?

Solo