What's new

Australians in Scientology

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney faces circa 1973 Zimmatore Brothers

First Photo: Me, Peter Zimmatore, William Holman and Mike Zimmatore

Second photo: Mike Zimmatore and Eoin MacCauley

Second photo was taken at the bustop right across the street from the Org on Lee St before the area was developed. This was even before the pedestrian tunnel was built to the train station. It all looks different there now.

Attachments

• new scan653.jpg
    new scan653.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 145
  • new scan638.jpg
    new scan638.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 98

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Shared house in Clovelly

I've posted this pic before. It's the shared house we had for years down by the beach in Clovelly. It looked a lot better in the '70's though. This shot was taken from Google Earth Streetview not too long ago.

Attachments

• 22 Melrose Parade.jpg
    22 Melrose Parade.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 56

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney Faces circa 1976 Harry Mason

Harry Mason again. This shot is interesting as it is the only one I have of Jono and Jenny Gellie. There, at the back sitting next to my sister, Joan.

Attachments

• new scan645.jpg
    new scan645.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 97

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney Faces circa 1976

First Photo Left to Right: Me, Elena Inta, Trudy Eckhardt (Waltraud Koenig), Peter Shead, my sister Joan.

Photo was taken in the revolving restaurant at the top of Australia Square. Jan Hill was with us but I think she was the one taking the photo.

Second Photo: Elena Inta

Elena was over from NZ doing XDN and went back to Auckland as staff member. Trudy later became staff member in Munich.

Attachments

• new scan656.jpg
    new scan656.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 59
  • new scan648.jpg
    new scan648.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 100

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney Faces circa 1977 Jan Schobel (nee Matthews)

That's me with Trudy Eckhardt on the left and Jan Matthews (red hair) on the right.
This was before Jan married Paul Schobel. Photo taken beside the Org at Lee St after the pedestrian tunnel under the railway lines was completed .

Attachments

• new scan643.jpg
    new scan643.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 113

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney Faces circa 1973 William Holman/Orlando Bloom

William Holman was the best course supervisor in the world. Looked like Orlando Bloom. I need to do a tribute to him. He was that good. Flag pretty much destroyed him. He wound up offloaded and nearly dying from peritonitis in England. Saw him just once a couple years after he got back to Australia and it was so sad. They really did a number on him. I'll write the story sometime.

Attachments

• new scan661.jpg
    new scan661.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 64

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Sydney Faces circa 1973-76

First Photo: Me in my auditing room when it was still on the first floor at Lee St.

Second Photo: Me at XDN event attended by 2000 people. It was there I realized I knew every one of the people there, and two years before when I first arrived in Sydney I had known nobody in Australia at all. The picture behind me was painted by Jon Martinsen and donated to the org. I wonder if they still have it.

Third Photo: Me with Natasha Cramey and Allen Wright

Attachments

• new scan654.jpg
    new scan654.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 127
  • new scan647.jpg
    new scan647.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 67
  • new scan642.jpg
    new scan642.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Me too. I was around then as well.

Are there any Aussies or Kiwis ...

who would be kind and gentle to

A NEW NEW veteran Aussie of 35 years...just leaving the Cult ?

Even though he will be an Indie ?

Anyone willing to write him an Email of congratulations and support ? Willing to invite him to post here ?

It is HUGE life changing step for him.....
support needed.

Let me know, and I will post the info...

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Re: Sydney faces circa 1973

Tye Hartall-friend of Kevin's from the US, and Tye's girlfriend Debbie.

Back row left to right: Julie Cramey, Sue Easley (later Cartwright), Joan Broughton (later Duffy), (unknown friend of Kevin and Linnah McPherrin ), (forgotten his name).

Middle row: Me(John Brownlee), John Forrest, Lynn Hyman (later Greenslade).

Front Row: Paul Hart (the golfer), Joan Brownlee (my sister-later Treasure), (friend of Kevin's), Kevin McPherrin (holding Moksha), Linnah McPherrin.

Attachments

• new scan915.jpg
    new scan915.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

RogerB

Crusader
Wowser! John . . . you're looking young and fit there my man . . .

Umm, what date these . . . must be 30+ years ago?

The names mentioned reminded me of names that are probably the parents I remember of those in those pics . . . all except one: the famous Harry (the gold digger/geologist) Mason :p

Thanks for the effort of putting up the pics.

PS: good to see you surface again:biggrin:

Rog

RogerB

Crusader
Are there any Aussies or Kiwis ...

who would be kind and gentle to

A NEW NEW veteran Aussie of 35 years...just leaving the Cult ?

Even though he will be an Indie ?

Anyone willing to write him an Email of congratulations and support ? Willing to invite him to post here ?

It is HUGE life changing step for him.....
support needed.

Let me know, and I will post the info...

Karen,

If he's in the US, I am willing to what I can. I'm in NYC.

RogerB

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Hi Rog,
The black and white are about 1973. Peter and Mike Zimmatore arrived from NZ to do the XDN Course early that year, if I remember correctly. I had completed Level IV just in time to start the new course. The 3 of us were the only students. Jan Hill (nee Maunder, later Mullane) had just arrived from Flag and was there to introduce and supervise that course. She was a Kiwi. She ended up staying on and became the girlfriend of Steve Stevens. Or for at least awhile. He dumped her for Flo (can't remember her maiden name) from NZ. But Jan became the Senior CS and remained so until I left at the end of 1978.

The colour photos are from a year or two or three later. I might be wrong on a few of them but not by more than a couple of years. Certainly none are later than 1978.
I have a few more pics floating around.....somewhere.... that I hope I can dig up and post.

Wowser! John . . . you're looking young and fit there my man . . .

Umm, what date these . . . must be 30+ years ago?

The names mentioned reminded me of names that are probably the parents I remember of those in those pics . . . all except one: the famous Harry (the gold digger/geologist) Mason :p

Thanks for the effort of putting up the pics.

PS: good to see you surface again:biggrin:

Rog

mysterysandwich

Patron with Honors
Well that's me before and after Scio.
Photo 1: High School
Photo 2: 1984
Photo 3: 1991
Photo 4: 2002 Getting older:(

Attachments

• new scan635.jpg
    new scan635.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 58
  • WCoast2.jpg
    WCoast2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 73
  • new scan667.jpg
    new scan667.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 43
  • new scan651.jpg
    new scan651.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 55

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
Awwwww -- you cutie! I had no idea Sydney org staff could have so much fun eating at restaurants and going to parties! (Unlike us poor old SO members.) Great to see the pics of Martin and Joan and the others I'd almost forgotten. Mind you, that pic of Phyll looking like a basilisk did bring me a little shudder.

I'm going to dig up some old pics too soon. Any day now.

woke up

Patron
more photos as soon as I can upload.....

:clap:
Sure.
This following may be a topic for a different thread, but it does involve Kevin.
You see, he was never able to successfully run Dianetics-which is probably significant in his later public disaffection with it that I have yet to write about-but I thought his situation differed from the usual in that he had difficulty from the outset.

That's interesting. Didn't know Kevin had such a hard time in session; wondered why he never got around to doing the SHSBC or upper levels either. He remained pretty much the same high-energy artistic type that he was in college, pre-Scn.

wigee1

Patron with Honors
I remember most of you guys at LEE ST , I,ve got some good stories , around 76-79
I got on really well with Phyll,Don,t know why ,as i was always off policy, and very hard to handle, but she backed me up all the way, i,d say i,d be shot,these days, But the staff were a fantastic bunch of guys, It could be the period too, but ill leave you guessing, until i,m fully on ,This is the first time i,ve looked into SCN since 80,s

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: Sydney Faces circa 1973-1980's

Just some shots of my sister, Joan, and me, and her husband, Mark Treasure.

First one is at an event where we were pushing XDN, I think. (I see a lot of cigarettes and tobacco on the desk but none was ours. We didn't smoke.)

The second was earlier at a different event. Third and fourth are her in the CS office. Third taken on a trip up the coast.
The last two are of Mark. They got married after I left Australia and I met him only once, in Canada when they went on a visit to "salvage" me. Ahem.

I was in the SO from 1985 and met both Joan and Mark there. Joan was just a lovely lady and I have only fond memories of her and Mark. Then after a while they went up lines.

wigee1

Patron with Honors
John , Thread #259 Joans man at that time was Graham Barret (think the spellings wrong) he was E/FDn or D/ED Had a Office next to mine,Nice guy, I Got stuck piggy in the middle with Joan and Graham, Joan Audited me on NED ,after Phyll Stevens awarded me 25 Hours of NED , could have been more ,Ah! love at first bite,It was fun
,Not the Ethics trip,though ,
I also flatted with wigzel and Noel Mullane at Clovelly a real hoot ,wigz making her Date loaf, which she sold to staff the following day, and Noel making Irish whisky by the flagon, which quickly got drunk that night, How those two became power auditors ,ceases to amaze me.
It certainly was a boom time for the org, It had a momentium, that was unstopable

jsana

Any Idea what or where the safra's are? I knew Elizabeth Safra a longtime ago. any update would be nice, thank you all :)