What's new

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh Nooooooooooooo ! :ohmy: :nervous:

Hey, Emma, now you know how we felt when you said you were leaving . . .

This is sad news for us. But he would not be doing it unless he felt it was best for him.

What will we do? :confused2: Hopefully who ever takes over for him will follow in his footsteps and continue the drive to expose co$/scno. :yes:

Good Luck Tony, Wishing You the Best - and THANK YOU !

Dilettante

Patron Meritorious
I'm crushed! I love the updates and coverage but Tony is a powerful writer so my dissapointment is tempered by the prospect of a book. I wish him all the success in his new venture.
I could go to the movies tonight to take my mind off things..... :yes:

Dilettante

Patron Meritorious
Oh Nooooooooooooo ! :ohmy: :nervous:

Hey, Emma, now you know how we felt when you said you were leaving . . .

This is sad news for us. But he would not be doing it unless he felt it was best for him.

What will we do? :confused2: Hopefully who ever takes over for him will follow in his footsteps and continue the drive to expose co$/scno. :yes:

Good Luck Tony, Wishing You the Best - and THANK YOU !

YES! I thought that too, I just didn't want to go all earlier similar. :duh:

Jump

Operating teatime
I'm crushed! I love the updates and coverage but Tony is a powerful writer so my dissapointment is tempered by the prospect of a book. I wish him all the success in his new venture.
I could go to the movies tonight to take my mind off things..... :yes:

I think Tony has successfully hatted Vanity Fair and several other magazines. He even got Rupert Murdoch as copy boy :biggrin:

I think Tony earned his stripes :coolwink:

Thanks Tony!!

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron
Silver lining though...who is more qualified to write a book about Scientology than Tony O.?? I hope he puts that thing together PDQ!

FoTi

Crusader
:no::nooo::nono::hissyfit:

How can he do this to us? :faint:

He's leaving the Village Voice to write a book about Scientology?

Did the CoS set this up to pull him away from writing daily articles that are damaging to Scientology? :eyeroll:

How can a book be better than what he is already doing with the Village Voice?

I'm not sure why he can't wear his Editor hat AND write a book on the side. Most writers who write books are otherwise employed as well...

Hmmm. Maybe he was looking for a change and this just created an opening for him to go his own way.

Well, you've got to give him credit for the work that has already been done...that isn't going away anytime soon. :thumbsup:

I wish him well, and much success with all his projects! :yes:

Gadfly

Crusader
:no::nooo::nono::hissyfit:

How can he do this to us? :faint:

He's leaving the Village Voice to write a book about Scientology?

Did the CoS set this up to pull him away from writing daily articles that are damaging to Scientology? :eyeroll:

I thought exactly the same thing.

I don't put anything past OSA and the Church of Scientology regarding what they will manipulate and contrive to get what they want.

Of course, if this is what is happening Ortega would be led to believe that he has an actual legitimate offer from a non-Scientology related entity to write the book. But, as many of us well know, when it comes to Scientology itself and Scientology capers, usually NOTHING is as it seems. One enters a world of smoke and mirrors when dealing with Hubbard & Scientology. Things are made to appear other than they actually are.

I don't know what is actually happening, but a big red flag immediately went flying up when I read the OP.

Wisened One

Crusader
I know! :ohmy: Guess he's tired of the daily and weekly articles, or somethin' :shrug: I'm sure he'll train SOMEONE to replace him and continue the articles, meanwhile...right?

But WHAT A BOOK it's gonna be, I bet! :thumbsup: :drama:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
How can he do this to us? He's leaving the Village Voice to write a book about Scientology?

Why do I get the sense that Tony's resigning has got more to do with, what happened to Graham Berry & his law firm when he defended Steve Fishman, Uwe Geertz, and a lot of others against the cult in the 90s.

Someone in authority over TonyO ordered him to move on to other stories, and not focus on Scientology?

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious
... But he would not be doing it unless he felt it was best for him.

Lurker5 you had me think with that simple line.

He didn't said "he felt it was the best for the bigger number of dynamics" but "for him".
It happens that he is a good man and the good for him is the good for many other people too, and that's how it should be.

That is self determination that the OT puppets in the cult will never reach - until they leave and start to live their own lives again.

Thank you.

Back to Tony Ortega and the loss of his great articles ... :bigcry:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
On one hand, is there any amount of money the dwarf woudn't spend in setting up an elaborate scheme to get Tony Ortega off his ass ?

And on the other hand, Tony O. ain't no dummy.

I wish him the best !

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
I can't help wondering if he is going for the kill shot? I know what the Co$ has done in the past, but they don't seem up to the task of "handling" Tony the way they "handled" Paulette.

Jquepublic

I don't get the impression at ALL that this is Tony collapsing to CoS pressure, quite the opposite: I think he's been given the green light on a book project, and what journalist wouldn't want to take that opportunity? Hell, if I were given an ok on a book and the advance that comes with it, I'd quit my job in 20 seconds flat - and it would only take me THAT long because I have to walk to the boss' office to do it! LOL

FoTi

Crusader
I don't get the impression at ALL that this is Tony collapsing to CoS pressure, quite the opposite: I think he's been given the green light on a book project, and what journalist wouldn't want to take that opportunity? Hell, if I were given an ok on a book and the advance that comes with it, I'd quit my job in 20 seconds flat - and it would only take me THAT long because I have to walk to the boss' office to do it! LOL

Looks like Tony is doing exactly what you would do. It wouldn't take any pressure to get Tony to do what he wants to do anyway. He could be played right into their hands without even knowing it.

How hard would it be to set up a journalist in this way without the journalist knowing that he'd been had? So....he leaves his job to write a book. When the book is written, then the CoS could have it set up so that the book which goes to the publisher never quite makes it to the market. The CoS has a lot of money with which to manipulate and influence the game in their direction sometimes.

I'm very suspicious of this move.

Jquepublic

Looks like Tony is doing exactly what you would do. It wouldn't take any pressure to get Tony to do what he wants to do anyway. He could be played right into their hands without even knowing it.

How hard would it be to set up a journalist in this way without the journalist knowing that he'd been had? So....he leaves his job to write a book. When the book is written, then the CoS could have it set up so that the book which goes to the publisher never quite makes it to the market. The CoS has a lot of money with which to manipulate and influence the game in their direction sometimes.

I'm very suspicious of this move.

Tony's not stupid or naive, I'm going to trust that he knows what he's doing and with whom he's involved. With his expertise in the subject, he's an ideal candidate to write a definitive work on Scn. He's probably been shopping his proposal out and someone he submitted it to just bit - timing's right, with the barrage of negative press and the release of The Master to both critical acclaim and CoS outrage. :)

I'll miss his blog, but I am looking forward to that book when it comes out!

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Why do I get the sense that Tony's resigning has got more to do with, what happened to Graham Berry & his law firm when he defended Steve Fishman, Uwe Geertz, and a lot of others against the cult in the 90s.

Someone in authority over TonyO ordered him to move on to other stories, and not focus on Scientology?

Could be but I have a policy of never giving the cult credit or stuff like that if I don't have to.

It's a win for us because Tony is going to be writing a book.

As well, commenters will now have to come back to the forums, where comments are findable on the internet. Not a bad exchange :)

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Though writing about Scientology may be Mr. Ortega’s life preserver, a former staffer told us his relentless pursuit of scoops on the controversial church may have been a distraction in his final months at the paper.

“He was increasingly obsessed with Scientology and had neglected almost all of his editorial duties at the paper,” the ex-staffer said. “Sometimes he wouldn’t even edit features.”

Wow..... Shoot straight, Tony.