What's new

Dirty Cult

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
On a previous visit, this was spotted:

8386779445_7f1455a2c7_c.jpg

Could someone have been made to step down into the tank? A disturbing thought.

Probably. The fact that the ladder was casually left there would seem to imply that climbing into that toxic sludge was considered a totally normal action not needing to be hidden from anyone.

Paul

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am puzzled.

The Saint Hill Sewage Plant has been a problem since its inception. When I first arrived in Saint Hill in '87 the environmental people had slammed the cult with a notice to fix this utterly inadequate facility as it was dumping huge amounts of pollutants into the local streams, all of which eventually drain into the Wierwood Reservoir that supplies drinking and cleaning water for Forest Row, East Grinstead and Crawley.

The handling back then was a kind of sticking plaster job run and overseen by the good hearted but utterly incompetent gardener, Norman Wade. I worked with him for a bit with utterly inappropriate tools trying the break up the 12 inches or so of a crust of solidified shit blocking up the lower filtration plant that clearly has since been demolished leaving that excavation site shown by ax with its raw sewage gushing into the stream.

Since that time I have seen at least 4 different EPA inspection reports land on the Estates Department's desk, and these have flapped up to OSA and even CMO only to be sent back to Estates with a 'handle and report' order attached. Everything they did was just a sticking plaster job. The one big effort in 2002 had a number of professional waste removal companies pump out the whole system and carted tanker loads of raw solid off for disposal. This was overseen by then CO Estates of Ray Blunden, and the project run by Flavio Grandi. Yet again it was just sticking plaster. There was a big celebration when the water emissions at the end of the filtration process were passed by the EPA. A year later they failed the test again.

The Saint Hill plant services the sewage treatment for the private residences on Saint Hill Green and as result get a massively reduced council tax bill. And yet they are clearly not 'handling' the sewage they are paid to treat. This sounds like fraud to me.

It can and should be speculated upon as to how it is that this site comes up as a major environmental polluter at least every other year and yet they get away without being taken to court, fined and forced to install a proper sewage treatment plant. Is there some collusion or worse between Saint Hill and the local council to keep this problem under wraps? I mean we are talking nearly thirty years from just my own experience of Saint Hill. I bet if other former CO Estates could be encouraged to talk, like John Chadder, Tony Phipps or Graham Zimmator then we would find that Saint Hill has been shitting on the beautiful West Sussex countryside for a good 50 years.

It is worth noting that Saint Hill sits in an area that is designated as a nature preserve under the heading of 'An Area of Outstanding Natural Beaty' thus very little new developments are allowed that would damage the look and the eco balance of this part of England.

It is a story that is worthy of an investigative report by The Sun....

Thanks for your info, John – very illuminating.

I didn’t realise that it had actually been reported not once, but several times. But not surprising when you know the attitude of the cult to anything other than fleecing money from their victims.

Well, they are not going to get away with it this time.

I’ve also got another update for you all.

It appears that OSA do monitor forums and saw my video. And surprisingly realised that there was an actual threat there.

Today I received a phone call from a council inspector regarding health and safety violations that I had reported. This was in addition to the report that I made to the Environment Agency regarding pollution.

The site was inspected a couple of days ago for health and safety violations (excluding the pollution from the effluent) and it was discovered that they had already started correcting some of the issues that I raised such as uncovered tanks, missing fences and unlocked gates. They were given instructions to fix the remaining problems and apparently will be removing some of the sludge that has accumulated in the tanks.

If they comply and complete the work, it is unlikely that they will face further action. I’ve got a feeling that someone will be keeping a very close eye on them and ensuring that they do comply. :coolwink:

This is so typical of their refusal to take responsibility for their own actions. They knew about this problem for decades but decided not to properly fix it. They had to be shamed into doing something about it by being reported to government agencies and have a video show the world just how disgusting they are.

For anyone wishing to view on Google Earth etc, the coordinates of the plant are: 51.103017, -0.027444. On the OS maps, it is located next to Cock Robin Wood, just SW of Saint Hill Farm (nothing to do with the cult).

So OSA, you now know that I wasn’t bluffing when I said that I would be contacting other agencies. But what other areas will also get an inspection – can you guess?

Perhaps you’d better drop everything else you are doing and sort all your problem areas out right now? You could be getting another visit very soon…

Axiom142

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
The site was inspected a couple of days ago for health and safety violations (excluding the pollution from the effluent) and it was discovered that they had already started correcting some of the issues that I raised such as uncovered tanks, missing fences and unlocked gates. They were given instructions to fix the remaining problems and apparently will be removing some of the sludge that has accumulated in the tanks.

I bet one of the first things they do is make it impossible for someone to simply walk in and take pictures of the place! Although since that would also stop kids wandering in there, I suppose it would be an improvement.

As far as I recall, the place wasn't ever secure (locked gate, fence in good repair) when I was there (1972-86).

Paul

secretiveoldfag

Silver Meritorious Patron
I would have thought they need a new system.

An accumulation of sludge is only a small part of the problem. The stuff needs TREATMENT and a place that size needs a functioning system.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I would have thought they need a new system.

An accumulation of sludge is only a small part of the problem. The stuff needs TREATMENT and a place that size needs a functioning system.

It's not a perfect system, but it is a workable system.

Oh, wait. . . .

Paul

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Wow! :ohmy:
:puke2:
Fantastic bit o' sleuthig there Ax! Kudos :cheers:
Simply an appalling, gross, disgusting, sloppy.........argh-grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!*catches breath*, blatant and indecent assault on the environment and neighbours.
What a (big) stinking mess! *cry*
And this shit ends up in other people's down-stream drinking supplies? :omg:
I am thinking that alerting the residents down the road asap might help (if not already done), little doubt you'd get some good allies in the process, some extra moral support never hurts ya know :) (maybe some nice fliers with a photo or three, a bit of history addressing the lack of actual commitment over the years to getting the sewage system correctly functioning etc. etc.)~ Nice info packages to the surrounding local papers (sticking strictly to the facts of course) are definately in order too, it is the type of thing that in this day and age of environmental concerns would shake a tree or three.
It shows the typical contempt/lack of caring the cult holds for the wog world, they want to run the planet but can't even get their own crap in order (well no surprise there eh!).
Another thought is to get a hold of several university's environmental studies/ biology/ micro-biology folks, they'd probably have a field day with such an opportunity at hand, and if you contacted more than a few it could create a nice competitive thingy and actually get some knowledgable feet on the ground having a look-see. (yeh, half-baked idea I know, but hell's-bells its worth a shot!)
One thing for sure, if I lived in an area with this going on I'd not only be fucking furious, I'd be watching the situation like a hawk, no accepting promises, no accepting anyone's word (local councel for example) that its being taken care of, I'd be right there in their faces every bloody step.
The fact that this has been an issue for decades, (that is years of sewage sludge built up by the effluent outfall into stream, not a product of months of by-pass), is indeed disturbing, but again, not surprising looking at how the cult (dis-) functions.
Sorry 'bout the long post, just makes me pig-biting mad when I see stuff like this, cult of scientology is shameless, unethical, devious, corrupt, and a blight on humanity, this only confirms it once again. :angry::grouch::angry::grouch::angry::grouch:

:scnsucks: :scnsucks:

And FUCK YOU OSA and the Hubbard you rode in on!

Kk, done fer nao :whistling:

I am puzzled.

The Saint Hill Sewage Plant has been a problem since its inception. When I first arrived in Saint Hill in '87 the environmental people had slammed the cult with a notice to fix this utterly inadequate facility as it was dumping huge amounts of pollutants into the local streams, all of which eventually drain into the Wierwood Reservoir that supplies drinking and cleaning water for Forest Row, East Grinstead and Crawley.

The handling back then was a kind of sticking plaster job run and overseen by the good hearted but utterly incompetent gardener, Norman Wade. I worked with him for a bit with utterly inappropriate tools trying the break up the 12 inches or so of a crust of solidified shit blocking up the lower filtration plant that clearly has since been demolished leaving that excavation site shown by ax with its raw sewage gushing into the stream.

Since that time I have seen at least 4 different EPA inspection reports land on the Estates Department's desk, and these have flapped up to OSA and even CMO only to be sent back to Estates with a 'handle and report' order attached. Everything they did was just a sticking plaster job. The one big effort in 2002 had a number of professional waste removal companies pump out the whole system and carted tanker loads of raw solid off for disposal. This was overseen by then CO Estates of Ray Blunden, and the project run by Flavio Grandi. Yet again it was just sticking plaster. There was a big celebration when the water emissions at the end of the filtration process were passed by the EPA. A year later they failed the test again.

The Saint Hill plant services the sewage treatment for the private residences on Saint Hill Green and as result get a massively reduced council tax bill. And yet they are clearly not 'handling' the sewage they are paid to treat. This sounds like fraud to me.

It can and should be speculated upon as to how it is that this site comes up as a major environmental polluter at least every other year and yet they get away without being taken to court, fined and forced to install a proper sewage treatment plant. Is there some collusion or worse between Saint Hill and the local council to keep this problem under wraps? I mean we are talking nearly thirty years from just my own experience of Saint Hill. I bet if other former CO Estates could be encouraged to talk, like John Chadder, Tony Phipps or Graham Zimmator then we would find that Saint Hill has been shitting on the beautiful West Sussex countryside for a good 50 years.

It is worth noting that Saint Hill sits in an area that is designated as a nature preserve under the heading of 'An Area of Outstanding Natural Beaty' thus very little new developments are allowed that would damage the look and the eco balance of this part of England.

It is a story that is worthy of an investigative report by The Sun....

God, this just makes me so angry!!! :grouch: Here is this country (good old USA) we have something called "eminent domain", which is a legal device for a public entity like a township to take away land which is declared blighted from the property owners, and clean it up or redevelop it for the public good...this level and depth of pollution over what is likely a half century of time surely meets any legal definition of "blighted property" over there...

If there are any legal-beagles interested in researching this, I hope you will contact Axie and advise him how to proceed documenting a history of illegal pollution and scofflaw behavior on COS behalf.

My personal belief is that they could be made to forfeit their property there, for the public good! They do not have the professional knowledge or ability to do an adequate clean up of their pollution of this watershed, which might realistically take YEARS and MILLIONS of dollars! :no: Not just the lake and stream and non-functioning "sewage plant"on their own land but the surrounding water table (underground) and the land downstream as well. It's a massive clean up project! :omg:

*American English translation for the Yanks~ "sticking plaster" = "band-aide", a temporary fix, rather than a real solution to the problem... :no:

:smoochy: to johnAnchovie! :thumbsup:

and :winner: to Axie!!!

The REGIONAL and NATIONAL environmental protection authorities need to be fully informed about this ongoing, historic pollution of the watercourse and groundwater NEAR A NATURAL PRESERVE AREA, not just the local area health and safety inspector!!! :clap: :thumbsup: It's in the best interest of the public welfare...COS is damaging both public and private property, not just their own land...

Last edited:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Thanks for your info, John – very illuminating.

I didn’t realise that it had actually been reported not once, but several times. But not surprising when you know the attitude of the cult to anything other than fleecing money from their victims.

Well, they are not going to get away with it this time.

I’ve also got another update for you all.

It appears that OSA do monitor forums and saw my video. And surprisingly realised that there was an actual threat there.

Today I received a phone call from a council inspector regarding health and safety violations that I had reported. This was in addition to the report that I made to the Environment Agency regarding pollution.

If they comply and complete the work, it is unlikely that they will face further action. I’ve got a feeling that someone will be keeping a very close eye on them and ensuring that they do comply. :coolwink:

This is so typical of their refusal to take responsibility for their own actions. They knew about this problem for decades but decided not to properly fix it. They had to be shamed into doing something about it by being reported to government agencies and have a video show the world just how disgusting they are.

For anyone wishing to view on Google Earth etc, the coordinates of the plant are: 51.103017, -0.027444. On the OS maps, it is located next to Cock Robin Wood, just SW of Saint Hill Farm (nothing to do with the cult).

So OSA, you now know that I wasn’t bluffing when I said that I would be contacting other agencies. But what other areas will also get an inspection – can you guess?

Perhaps you’d better drop everything else you are doing and sort all your problem areas out right now? You could be getting another visit very soon…

Axiom142

If people were to monitor google earth regularly, perhaps we could get satellite shots of people climbing into the tanks. Oh the fun we could have with that! Especially if we happen to catch a child or two in there.....

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Bump to this news-worthy story!

I had another wee Oggy thought, that is to get some letters written (with nice glossy photos etc., info package), to Her Royal Highness and any notable nobility in the vicinity of this outrageous environmental disaster. If I am not mistaken the Queen is the ultimate custodian of public lands? Could be wayyy off base here, but wtf, making a stink about this blatant disregard for the environment and public health/safety, is nowhere near as smelly as cult's lack of concern.
That 'Stain Hill' (my new title for it) has been getting tax breaks for many years to treat the sewage for (whatever) housing etc., is a travesty, and beckons investigation. Possibly looking into how much of a break they've gotten over the years, and suggesting a minimum of the cumulative 'breaks' they've recieved be immediately be invested in cleaning that shit-hole up.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! *voof* :p

Come on Englanders, get writing your over-lords! :biggrin:

secretiveoldfag

Ref: 130121/JRJR09 Saint Hill Manor

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your concerns over Saint Hill manor.

For your information I have passed your e-mail onto the relevant team who will respond in due course.

If you have any further queries do let us know, as we would be happy to help.

Kind Regards

Jon Russell
Customer Service Advisor

National Customer Contact Centre
Part of National Operations
Environment Agency

Tel 03708 506 506

-----------------------------

It's a start, maybe.

whitesand

Patron
Ref: 130121/JRJR09 Saint Hill Manor

Dear Sirs

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your concerns over Saint Hill manor.

For your information I have passed your e-mail onto the relevant team who will respond in due course.

If you have any further queries do let us know, as we would be happy to help.

Kind Regards

Jon Russell
Customer Service Advisor

National Customer Contact Centre
Part of National Operations
Environment Agency

Tel 03708 506 506

-----------------------------

It's a start, maybe.

Perhaps a follow-up query would be in order, inquiring as to who is the relevant person the information was forwarded to, and their contact information.

secretiveoldfag

Perhaps a follow-up query would be in order, inquiring as to who is the relevant person the information was forwarded to, and their contact information.

One would hope to get this kind of information in due course. It is one of the things they promise to do :eyeroll:. As if they had forgotten that was what we pay them to do. But this is a government agency. They don't leap into action overnight.

In the meantime now that I know the email address they give for customer enquiries works I followed up with a copy of John Anchovie's major article.

Has anyone else been in touch with them directly? What about the Inspector met wandering round East Grinsted? Perhaps there have been some other complaints? The more the merrier, IMO.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Bump to this news-worthy story!

I had another wee Oggy thought, that is to get some letters written (with nice glossy photos etc., info package), to Her Royal Highness and any notable nobility in the vicinity of this outrageous environmental disaster. If I am not mistaken the Queen is the ultimate custodian of public lands? Could be wayyy off base here, but wtf, making a stink about this blatant disregard for the environment and public health/safety, is nowhere near as smelly as cult's lack of concern.
That 'Stain Hill' (my new title for it) has been getting tax breaks for many years to treat the sewage for (whatever) housing etc., is a travesty, and beckons investigation. Possibly looking into how much of a break they've gotten over the years, and suggesting a minimum of the cumulative 'breaks' they've recieved be immediately be invested in cleaning that shit-hole up.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! *voof* :p

Come on Englanders, get writing your over-lords! :biggrin:

If you send a hat pack to HRM, be sure to cc the Sun, the Daily Mail, the BBC, every major TV news show, and every major newspaper I didn't think of. You'll already be making the hat pack for HRM, so this isn't additional work. This will serve as "insurance" that she pays attention to what you send her. Be sure to do the usual cc etiquette at the bottom of the letter addressed to her.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Taken from the Evening Argus, Monday March 28th, 1994... can anybody identify the Scientology victims in this article?

Punished: one official was suspended from her post at Saint Hill when she returned from her honeymoon last year. The woman was put on MEST work, the name for physical labour. One of her crimes was spending too much time preparing for her own wedding to a fellow Scientologist ... One of her new tasks was to clean the sewer system.

Mr Mansell [Peter Mansell, Director of Public Affairs, Saint Hill] said: "It's a fact of life that if your sewers need cleaning somebody has to clean them. This is a big property and there are a lot of storm drains."

Punished: the official in charge of the newly-wed was also suspended and sentenced to a spell of physical labour. She fled to her parents home and a delegation from Saint Hill was dispatched to recover her. The woman did eventually come back but her behaviour was viewed as "suppressive".

Source (see p4).

wigee1

Patron with Honors
When I saw those photos of Saint Hill Sewage Tanks and the state theyre in, But mainly the !!! repairs, I thought, This is a major problem, There is nothing there to say its a workable system. it will have to be a New IDEAL engineered Big $$$$$ system . The Council because of the( Request for Service)have to act on it, and because of it , one has found the outpoint with the local council, ie, not doing their yearly checks,( bad boys) just by looking at those photos I,d say all pipes leading back to the Manor will have to be pulled up and replaced, trees , plants play havoc , in sewage lines. which brings up another question,, At the Manor, FIRE, SAFTETY< ELECTRICAL , they will all be outpoints, The manor will be classed as a Commercial operation, and the Council rules differ, the council need to be sent to the RPF and labelled SP. Now where is my Mate Peter Mansell when you need him .( He might be part of OSA , but he,s still a good friend, brings back good memories.)
Just a little story on sewage costs, I live in NZ, North of AUCKLAND , The local Council decided to upgrade the sewage system at a beach resort ,
now when one gets big time Engineering Consultants involved , the $$$$ start to add up and the system gets bigger , future you see, theyve been trained by the church (just kidding)and what started out at $35 Million went to $55 then because of some underhanded agreements now $80 Million, it all came out in the wash, Kaipara District is nearly Bankrupt, we borrow money to pay the interest payments , the Councillors got sacked, 3x commisioners came in @ about $10,000 aweek to sort it out , their verdict Council "" Incompedent""The sad thing is we voted them in , many on looks , or he,s a nice guy,Many people dont pay their Rates now , its a hopless situation,
SO pat yourself on the back EX,s your doing amazing job , its kinda fun , Ive never been a good Rockslamer But I,m improving and getting better at it
Thanks Granitt.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
If you send a hat pack to HRM, be sure to cc the Sun, the Daily Mail, the BBC, every major TV news show, and every major newspaper I didn't think of. You'll already be making the hat pack for HRM, so this isn't additional work. This will serve as "insurance" that she pays attention to what you send her. Be sure to do the usual cc etiquette at the bottom of the letter addressed to her.

Brilliant! Totally agree, and it was just an off the hip sortta idea, but I think that that sort of action is something that'll get people's attention, because frankly, most humans are pretty fucking apathetic unless its right in their faces affecting them.