What's new

Ex-member of the CoS- Brian Cox

2briancox

Patron
Hi,

I'm a former member of the "Corporate Scientology" world as Marty Rathbun would call it. I'm very interested in hearing from other people who are out that I might have run into on the past.

I started out in Champaign mission in December of 1993. I then went to St Louis Org where I was immediately sent to Flag to be on the TTC. I was a part of the group that was going to bring back GAT, but i didn't like the culture there so I left.

After routing out there I went to Minneapolis where I was for about 15 years. Most of that time my friends were Scientologists, though I wasn't really active due to the stops thrown in my way from a group that more interested in suppressive ethics than doing Scientology.

But I always intended to return when I could. 5 years ago I got married and moved to Washington State. After changing my career, I thought it was time to go back (I could afford to be squeezed of all my cash now! Lol). But of course, more ridiculous ethics stopped me before I could get going. My wonderful and understanding wife suggested I should look outside the CoS.

As it turns out, I was very fortunate to live in Washington. FreeZone Elma is very close to me. So I started on the Bridge again. And I can finally move! With a great auditor that lives 25 minutes away!

So now my goal is to help that exist for others when they go looking. Just wanted to let everyone know, you are now free to practice Scientology on your own if you'd like. It's safe out here. =)

So of I've known you along our paths, I'd love to hear from you.

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome to ESMB Brian!

I think you'll find many here that are not so favorably inclined to Scientology, Hubbard, the tech, et al. (keep a fire-proof helmet handy)

Glad you are out of the Co$. I encourage you to spend some time reading people's stories that are posted here. There's a wealth of information on this forum.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome Brian!! Glad you got out. Many who got out of corporate scientology (for many, many years) have tried to do scientology independant from corporate miscavology - and to my knowledge - have not created a super novus human being.

You may want to google: Aleistar Crowley and study up on Thelma and OTO. check out the rosy cross and compare it to the Scientology cross that Hubbard designed. Scientology - in or out - is not what you think it is.

I want to give you a hug because I can tell you are sincere - but please..this time do your homework on what scientolgy is and what it is not for your own sanity. Use scientology on scientology - and know ...you are free to look this time!!

Just because corporate scientology did not produce clears and ot's - have you seen any in the indie movement? What does the gal up by you charge for auditing?

Please read everything you can - good, bad and ugly and then see if you think doing any of it is a good idea!!

Good luck, welcome aboard and let us know what you think!!

Purple Rain

Crusader
Hi,

I'm a former member of the "Corporate Scientology" world as Marty Rathbun would call it. I'm very interested in hearing from other people who are out that I might have run into on the past.

I started out in Champaign mission in December of 1993. I then went to St Louis Org where I was immediately sent to Flag to be on the TTC. I was a part of the group that was going to bring back GAT, but i didn't like the culture there so I left.

After routing out there I went to Minneapolis where I was for about 15 years. Most of that time my friends were Scientologists, though I wasn't really active due to the stops thrown in my way from a group that more interested in suppressive ethics than doing Scientology.

But I always intended to return when I could. 5 years ago I got married and moved to Washington State. After changing my career, I thought it was time to go back (I could afford to be squeezed of all my cash now! Lol). But of course, more ridiculous ethics stopped me before I could get going. My wonderful and understanding wife suggested I should look outside the CoS.

As it turns out, I was very fortunate to live in Washington. FreeZone Elma is very close to me. So I started on the Bridge again. And I can finally move! With a great auditor that lives 25 minutes away!

So now my goal is to help that exist for others when they go looking. Just wanted to let everyone know, you are now free to practice Scientology on your own if you'd like. It's safe out here. =)

You mean there's a freezone??! :faceslap:Why did nobody tell me? :p

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're happy and appreciate hearing your story. I also welcome you.

:)

2briancox

Patron
Well thank you, Idle. Great name by the way.

I agree the Church is a corrupt organization. And feel free to agree with anyone's opinion on the tech that you'd like. It doesn't bother me any. But I have to admit the tech has helped me enormously with many things in life. Now, I'll be clear here, I absolutely know that Ron over- sold most of the gains of Clear and OT. I also know he was no angel. Quite the contrary. He could sell people on quite a bit. And boy did he ever.

But I judge the tech by what it does for me. And I am 100% certain that it has been very helpful. The times I really ran into trouble had nothing to do with tech. They had to do with a sickly money-motivated organization that cared for nothing but their own financial gain.

I'm done with that now, of course. And I'm keeping what I value and throwing the rest in the trash. We each have to be true to what we know. Best of luck. :)

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi,

Welcome, Brian! You have one smart wife there :)

Best wishes,
Mary

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hello Brian,

When you were in Scientology you were told to only talk about the wins and to ignore the things that didn't work.

Now that you are independent I challenge you to take an unbiased look at what you are getting for your money.

Do you really get those powers that Hubbard talks about (or alludes to) in Dianetics?

Statistically can you really demonstrate any OT phenomena?

Not one time here or there like finding your keys but things like "blowing someone's hat off at 50 paces", mind reading, "knowing something will happen with regularity.

Can you demonstrate with regularity any of Hubbard's claims?

If not Scientology may still be worth it to you, if so why? I am not condemning you I would really like to know what you actually feel that you get out of Scientology.

Hello Brian,

When you were in Scientology you were told to only talk about the wins and to ignore the things that didn't work.

Now that you are independent I challenge you to take an unbiased look at what you are getting for your money.

Do you really get those powers that Hubbard talks about (or alludes to) in Dianetics?

Not one time here or there like finding your keys but things like "blowing someone's hat off at 50 paces", mind reading, "knowing something will happen with regularity.

If not Scientology may still be worth it to you, if so why? I am not condemning you I would really like to know what you actually feel that you get out of Scientology.

dianetics is not the universal panacea hyped in DMSMH and scientology does not hand over the powers of a comic book superhero

but...

for people who can grok the subject there can be very substantial benefit both on the mortal human level and the spiritual level

tell me brian, is pat still cookin' and bookin' in her early eighties or has she slipped this mortal coil?

Hello Brian,

p.s.

sigh...

can't you just be REASONABLE?

... As it turns out, I was very fortunate to live in Washington. FreeZone Elma is very close to me. So I started on the Bridge again. And I can finally move! With a great auditor that lives 25 minutes away! ...

Congratulations on getting a chance to move again. Washington is beautiful country and Pat is a genuinely kind lady as well as being reputed to be an accomplished auditor. Best of luck to you at Elma.

Mark A. Baker

MissWog

Yeah Brian!
Welcome! I'll let you get settled before I start peppering you with questions :happydance:
But I like what you have said and even more how you said it.. But the questions will come giggle

Boojuum

Keep reading the ESMB padawan.

For the record, I had gains from Scientology but I don't believe in a "Bridge", I don't think the engram/secondary model of the mind is accurate, I feel certain that LRH developed a system of therapy based on thready evidence that could make people feel briefly better but not necessarily make them more capable.

I also think that Ron left out some major pieces of life in his philosophy, to wit, the importance of family.

I'm not saying you can't be helped by Scientology. Maybe you can. I would urge you to look at the results NOT obtained by so many people on this board--many who received a great deal of auditing and training. "100% workable"?

The fact that you were out for so long was probably the best thing that could have happened to you.

Good luck on your journey.

Reasonable

but...

for people who can grok the subject there can be very substantial benefit both on the mortal human level and the spiritual level

dianetics is not the universal panacea hyped in DMSMH and scientology does not hand over the powers of a comic book superhero

This is true BUT... He Hubbard claim there are super powers to be had He even has a rundown called Super Power. In that rundown he claims to re establish your 52 preceptics. I think Stan Lee could make a comic book hero out of someone with 52 perfect senses.

I know you understand this but I wanted someone who is freshly out to see this too. He still may think there are comic book super powers to be had in the Free Zone.

for people who can grok the subject there can be very substantial benefit both on the mortal human level and the spiritual level.

I suppose I could understand that but I really want to know exactly what those substantial benefits are. My claim is that these benefits are not measurable and are 100% subjective.
There are many good things in life that are subjective but Hubbard claims things are objective like his BS IQ and aptitude and personality tests.

My question was more aimed at Brain. While in the cult he just assumed that the benefits were objective. Now that he is allowed to think for himself and outside the cult, I was asking him to brush away all bias and with a fresh pair of eyes to look again and really ask himself if there are any objective changes or are they all subjective?

2briancox

Patron
Yeah Brian!
Welcome! I'll let you get settled before I start peppering you with questions :happydance:
But I like what you have said and even more how you said it.. But the questions will come giggle

Well thanks for the warning Miss Wog. But what makes you think I have your answers. =)

Veda

Sponsor
Well thank you, Idle. Great name by the way.

I agree the Church is a corrupt organization. And feel free to agree with anyone's opinion on the tech that you'd like. It doesn't bother me any. But I have to admit the tech has helped me enormously with many things in life. Now, I'll be clear here, I absolutely know that Ron over- sold most of the gains of Clear and OT. I also know he was no angel. Quite the contrary. He could sell people on quite a bit. And boy did he ever.

But I judge the tech by what it does for me. And I am 100% certain that it has been very helpful. The times I really ran into trouble had nothing to do with tech. They had to do with a sickly money-motivated organization that cared for nothing but their own financial gain.

I'm done with that now, of course. And I'm keeping what I value and throwing the rest in the trash. We each have to be true to what we know. Best of luck. :)

Hi 2briancox,

Welcome to ESMB.

Yes, Ron oversold the gains of Clear and OT. Have you seen David Mayo's 1991 article on Clear http://www.ivymag.org/iv-01-02.html where he reveals that it was PR and marketing ($$$) reasons that resulted in Hubbard's downgrading and redefining the definition of Clear?

I'm not much interested in whether or not Ron was an angel. I do find it interesting that he systematically, over decades, designed the doctrine of Scientology, based on this strange little 1955 manual:http://www.xenu-directory.net/documents/images/1955-brainwashing-front2.jpg

A 2001 e-book about 'Brain-Washing Manual Parallels in Scientology': http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?2697-Table-of-Contents-Psychopolitics-revisited, and don't be misled by the title. It does acknowledge the positives in the subject.

I'm glad you were helped enormously by the tech. May I be so bold as to remind you that there is only one you, but lots of other people. Many of those other people had very real experiences with the tech, many were highly trained and audited, and their views on the tech are different from yours.

Once again, welcome. :)

shanic89

Patron Meritorious
I really want to know exactly what those substantial benefits are. My claim is that these benefits are not measurable and are 100% subjective.
There are many good things in life that are subjective but Hubbard claims things are objective like his BS IQ and aptitude and personality tests.

The entire time I have been reading this board I have waited for a person still practising scientology in some form to answer this type of questions.

As a matter of fact I have seen people asked similar questions and they tend to either dodge the questions or become irrationally angry at being asked too.

With that said.

Welcome Brian.

If I may, could I ask you as a practising scientologist. What real life situations has scientology helped you in? What was the situation and what part of the tech helped you? Really I’m interested in how you applied the tech in a situation where it is not another scientologists just agreeing that you handled something, and if you have had repeated success applying the same formula.

Cheers.