What's new

Brian Culkin on Scientology

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is one of the best videos I've ever seen. [Saw it on Tony's site, but copied from Youtube.]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=R31Ea2FjKhE#at=3632

Kinda bummed when I saw the last frame - apparently he signed something to benefit the church's case in order to get his refund money. All I want to know, is did he attest to a lie or a truth?? That's all I care about.

The video sounds honest, sincere, Brian is extremely well spoken and believable.

Well worth the hour spent.

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
did he attest to a lie or a truth??

The only people who would know the answer are Brian Culkin, plaintiffs, and plaintiffs' counsel. Because the CoS lawyers are combing websites to collect additional fodder, no plaintiff in their right mind would discuss it here. Maybe you should just wait for the court to sort it out?

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
The only people who would know the answer are Brian Culkin, plaintiffs, and plaintiffs' counsel. Because the CoS lawyers are combing websites to collect additional fodder, no plaintiff in their right mind would discuss it here. Maybe you should just wait for the court to sort it out?

Of course you're right. Just based on watching the video, this guy seems like a straight shooter. And I'm glad if he got his money back.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is one of the best videos I've ever seen. [Saw it on Tony's site, but copied from Youtube.]

Kinda bummed when I saw the last frame - apparently he signed something to benefit the church's case in order to get his refund money. All I want to know, is did he attest to a lie or a truth?? That's all I care about.

The video sounds honest, sincere, Brian is extremely well spoken and believable.

Asking if Brian Culkin attested to the truth or a lie is like asking if Scientology is truth - lies mixed in. He got a refund of $350,000 and threw others under the bus unknowlingly (he seems clueless to me). Scientology specializes in ARC and they will give someone the appearance that they are doing the right thing and it is the truth - when it is not the right thing and it is a lie.

If Scientology makes everyone do a routing form or arbitration - why didn't Brian Culkin do it? Because he ratted on those that helped him and potentially crippled a case that could have taken this cult down once and for all. I hope his "refund" was worth the potential damage he did. Of course Brian Culkin is believeable - he has to be right about getting that money back and that he hurt no one in the process. How would he feel if he was Luis Garcia who is hanging his neck on the line to stop the fraud in Scientology once and for all? That is the question to ask Brian Culkin!

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron

Asking for the courts to sort it out? :whistling: Are you serious? It does not take a nuclear physicist to see what Brian Culkin did.

Scientology plays a very serious game (the only game they take seriously) - they pay off judges, threatens those involved...you are dealing with the Mafia here Cleared SP...not just a namby pamby panty waist dilletant!

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
Asking for the courts to sort it out? :whistling: Are you serious? It does not take a nuclear physicist to see what Brian Culkin did.

It doesn't take much to see that Culkin acted as if he didn't give a flying **** about anyone but himself, and threw a bunch of people under the bus as soon as he got his check, but that wasn't what the OP was asking. The OP wanted to know whether Culkin's account of private discussions of litigation was accurate or not. How could anyone who was not privy to those discussions know the answer?

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
Brian was and is my friend. I am personally convinced everything he said here is absolutely true and was and remains so ... from the heart. I think he was taken advantage of in a vulnerable situation, someday I hope the whole story can come out. Despite popular opinion here, I believe the man has decency and honor.

Techless

Patron Meritorious

Something might be helpful here, for this and any of the plethora of vids now out on YTube and regarding all things Scn:

Netflix - TEDTalks 2011 Episode 1 Pamela Mayer - "How to Spot a Liar". Has some very interesting things that are not the traditional, old-school things we've all heard before...check it out. And then maybe episode 13, I think, on "How cults rewire Your Thinking"

That seems to apply here now -eh???

Cheers,
TL

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Brian Culkin states that his experience at Flag was incredibly torturous. It is inhumane. He was there for 7 months. He spent the whole time trying to un-do the torture. Was it his fault that it was torturous or the Organization. His experience of the constant regging is that it is consistent and very subtle invalidation and criticisms towards him as a human being.

One of the examples - Dave Foster, a registrar at Flag, he was trying to reg Brian to buy his whole bridge. Brian refused to pay for his entire Bridge. He called Brian Culkin a FUCKING ASSHOLE!

As we all know - Dave Foster also slapped Maria Pia Gardini.

Brian Culkin has never heard of an organization using profanity like the staff at Flag.

His entire experience was traumatic. He knew something was wrong but he could not pin point it. He thought it was him doing something wrong. Even his auditing was traumatic.

What is Scientology? He gave the example if you went to restaurant and had bad service and food and when you get up to leave and the owner asked how everything was and you tell them the truth that it was not good - the staff surround you and want to know what YOU DID to create this experience. THAT IS SCIENTOLOGY!! Good analogy!

He would tell the staff..what did you do - because scientology is not working for you either - because if it was working, I would be happy and I would be having a good experience...he was routed to Ethics. There is no reasoning with Scientology.

They told him he was PTS because he was not happy with the auditing. He figured out he was PTS to Scientology and the staff. He of course, had been bamboozled out of $350K. He was at FLAG 24/7 for 7 months - so who was suppressing him? or was he Type III?

He said the experience was CRAZY! He was treated like a leper - he was labeled PTS because he was not VGI's and waxing enthusiasm because the regges constantly pounded him for donos - even after being fleeced out of $350K.

Brian said he was regged for Super Power - they needed money so they could open it in 3 months - this was 2009. I hope Theodore Babbitt listens to Brians Video - good question to ask Brian Culkin and Scientology when they do the depositions

When they try to help you find the person you are PTS to - Scientology makes it really secretive and covert and there may be people in your life that you are not aware they are SP's to you. You churn mental wheels obsessively. He was at the point that he must have evil people in his life they did not know who they were. People in your life that have never hurt you but are secretly plotting your destruction. The only people he could trust is Scientology.

It is an US verses THEM mentality in Scientology.

Brian says: Here is a philosophy stuck in the 1960's and has not evolved. (he is wrong - David Miscavige is changing things every day to suit his lifestyle and power needs).

Brian Culkin hated Flag!! He said he never told anyone he was in Scientology because he wanted to see if it worked. He said that his experience at Flag Land Base in Clearwater was TOXIC and he thinks the Organization is psychotic, schizophrenic and dangerous. He would never ever tell someone to go to FLAG or do Scientology. If he told his brother to go to Flag - he would have been very worried all the time as to what Flag would do to him...are they taking all of his money, are they causing him harm.

Flag - the MECCA of torture and abuse!! Just ask Brian Culkin, who did get his $350,000 back without doing a routing form or arbitration...he has not been declared an SP and there are no HATE websites posted on the Internet by the Church of Scientology.

Huh, did the policies change?

Last edited:

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
Brian was and is my friend. I am personally convinced everything he said here is absolutely true and was and remains so ... from the heart. I think he was taken advantage of in a vulnerable situation, someday I hope the whole story can come out. Despite popular opinion here, I believe the man has decency and honor.

I have no idea at all what the right and wrong of this situation really is. I don't know Culkin from Adam and I can say neither good or bad about him. Whether rightly or wrongly, he's taken a lot of flak here. I hope if I ever get into that kind of situation that I'll have a friend to stick up for me like this.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
If you can push aside for a moment what he did earlier this year . . . this video is pretty good and worth watching.

The "Flag experience" through the eyes of an average successful, well-heeled, younger person who jumps in with
both feet at the get-go, only to be ground down and disappointed in a hurry. If they can't handle and "clear" him,
then they can't handle anybody. He's right in the middle of the target market for these kind of services. The "able"
that is, as in the "makes the able more able" positioning.

As WildKat posted, "Well worth the hour spent."

If this is your thing. :wink2:

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have no idea at all what the right and wrong of this situation really is. I don't know Culkin from Adam and I can say neither good or bad about him. Whether rightly or wrongly, he's taken a lot of flak here. I hope if I ever get into that kind of situation that I'll have a friend to stick up for me like this.

Brian Culkin intentionally left out the fact that while he was getting help from Mike Rinder, Mr. Johnson and others - he was also talking to Scientology but he never told Mike Rinder et al. There is where he was sneaky!

He signed a declaration stating who was involved in helping him - Mike Rinder etc...and then got his entire $350,000 back.

What else is there to know to see what happened? The truth is simple. He betrayed those who were helping him by keeping it secret that he was all along talking to OSA about his refund. He agreed to sign a declaration as to who he was talking to. Is this rocket science?

He needs to tell his story because it is not looking very good. He threw those guys helping him under the bus. It is hard to see the truth about something if you are "friends" - but just look for goodness sake.

Who did he help? 1. Himself - he got all of his money back. 2. Scientology - he told on those that were helping him and put this case on a spin cycle - long delays, potentially ruining it for Luis Garcia. Causing Garcia to incur more legal expenses and potentially losing one of the few competent attorneys willing to take on the litigious "church of scientology".

Who did Brian Culkin really hurt? All of those poor staff members and public that innocently go into this group to help only to be ultimately betrayed in the worst possible means. Scientology commits fraud and this lawsuit is about exposing that fraud. Brian Culkin knew it and should have come clean before he talked to Scientology. He should have told Mike Rinder he was going to deal directly with them before he pumped Rinder and Johnson for information on how to obtain his refund.

In the end - everyone loses except Scientology - who will continue to fleece people because of the cowards like Brian Culkin and Debbie Cook. Rathbun could have taken money - he didn't. Pick a side Brian Culkin and stick to it. It makes me sick to think of what he did regarding this case. This could have changed the way Scientology does business forever. I just hope they continue the fight for justice and stop Scientology's fraudilant operating basis.

If he did nothing wrong - why isn't he telling his story now?

It just looks really, really wrong. At some point, you have to stop being a victim of Scientology. He gets victimized by Scientology and then goes back for more and then says "he did not know". Brian Culkin knew the Organization was evil - he said so many times in his interview. He took the bait again! I think he needs to pay Luis Garcia for all of the extra costs involved because of what he contributed to the motion!

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader

I'm sure everything he said in the video was true and sincere. Then for some reason he went back and did business with the same people again... only this time others got hurt instead.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow..... just wow.....

http://tonyortega.org/2013/07/11/sc...e-you-were-so-mean-to-brian-culkin/#more-8263

Excerpt from Tony Ortega's blog:

"Comments made on this blog, as well as some posted at Facebook and Operation Clambake, have been entered as evidence in the latest filing by the Church of Scientology in the federal fraud lawsuit brought against it by Luis and Rocio Garcia.

Yes, you read that right. The Church is making issue of mean things that some of you, our commenters, have said on this blog, and some of those comments have been preserved in the federal court record for posterity."

Gib

Crusader
If you can push aside for a moment what he did earlier this year . . . this video is pretty good and worth watching.

The "Flag experience" through the eyes of an average successful, well-heeled, younger person who jumps in with
both feet at the get-go, only to be ground down and disappointed in a hurry. If they can't handle and "clear" him,
then they can't handle anybody. He's right in the middle of the target market for these kind of services. The "able"
that is, as in the "makes the able more able" positioning.

As WildKat posted, "Well worth the hour spent."

If this is your thing. :wink2:

I thought the video was good.

When I step back and look it over, like you said here is somebody ( a noob but able) in a short 7 month period went from a cl 5 org to flag and got more auditing including the L's. So one could say he did the fast track thing and rejected it w/o external influence.

In contrast, somebody like me, why I was on the slow boat, over a 25 year time period and I even didn't get that far up the bridge. And I got an external influence from the debbie cook message.

What was it that Nibs said, scientology is black magic spend over a long time. But, I guess that could be amended to if you get a lot of it in a short time, the black magic just hits you in the face.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
He needs to tell his story because it is not looking very good. He threw those guys helping him under the bus. It is hard to see the truth about something if you are "friends" - but just look for goodness sake.

Agreed. I hope he tells ALL of the story and that all the truth comes out. This looks like it goes pretty deep.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Agreed. I hope he tells ALL of the story and that all the truth comes out. This looks like it goes pretty deep.

Apparently, he may get a chance to tell his story under some pretty severe questioning by both Miscavige's lawyers and the Garcias' lawyers.

I think both sides want to depose him.

TG1

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
The one thing all of us should have learned from our shared experiences, things ... especially related to the Scilon empire ... very little is exactly as it appears to be.

If you look at what is known, we know pieces presented by the COS of an settlement, probably like all others very confidential settlement with presumably a biased gag order with a bazillion dollars in penalties if Brian violates. The COS deposing him allows the defendants to depose him, perhaps one of the only ways for him to tell his story. I called him incredibly upset after the COS filed his affidavit. After I stopped screaming, what he told me, my perspective softened. Even if he fucked up on this, and I don't believe it was an intentional betrayal, the good he did, the TV interviews, the awareness he brought for years can't be discarded.

As his friend, I absolutely am certain he is not at all frightened by the indies or anon, and would guess he is really pissed off by the inference.

Brian spent less than a year in, over 2 years fighting them very vocally and passionately, and just wanted out and to be done with it all. He lost a lot of his life. Did he make some bad calls in the settlement, in hind sight obviously yes, but I genuinely believe he didn't understand what he was being set up for.

Maybe I am wrong and will get burned, won't be the first time, won't be the last, but post Scientology I prefer to look for and believe in the good, than jump in a pack mentality on the bad. I would rather get burned trusting where I shouldn't than not trusting and being there for good intentioned people when they need it. This is a free personal choice and it is my personal choice.

Purple Rain

Crusader
The one thing all of us should have learned from our shared experiences, things ... especially related to the Scilon empire ... very little is exactly as it appears to be.

If you look at what is known, we know pieces presented by the COS of an settlement, probably like all others very confidential settlement with presumably a biased gag order with a bazillion dollars in penalties if Brian violates. The COS deposing him allows the defendants to depose him, perhaps one of the only ways for him to tell his story. I called him incredibly upset after the COS filed his affidavit. After I stopped screaming, what he told me, my perspective softened. Even if he fucked up on this, and I don't believe it was an intentional betrayal, the good he did, the TV interviews, the awareness he brought for years can't be discarded.

As his friend, I absolutely am certain he is not at all frightened by the indies or anon, and would guess he is really pissed off by the inference.

Brian spent less than a year in, over 2 years fighting them very vocally and passionately, and just wanted out and to be done with it all. He lost a lot of his life. Did he make some bad calls in the settlement, in hind sight obviously yes, but I genuinely believe he didn't understand what he was being set up for.

Maybe I am wrong and will get burned, won't be the first time, won't be the last, but post Scientology I prefer to look for and believe in the good, than jump in a pack mentality on the bad. I would rather get burned trusting where I shouldn't than not trusting and being there for good intentioned people when they need it. This is a free personal choice and it is my personal choice.

I don't mind taking that risk for myself, but I dislike when my friends get hurt or my team. I have tried hard to see how it could have been innocent but given that he was advised against it, and the fact that he made that last approach to the cult on his own initiative, and in addition to his own past experience, I cannot see how it was done through ignorance. I just can't believe that, I'm sorry, but I'm glad that he has a good friend and hope he can undo the damage somewhat in the future.

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
I don't mind taking that risk for myself, but I dislike when my friends get hurt or my team. I have tried hard to see how it could have been innocent but given that he was advised against it, and the fact that he made that last approach to the cult on his own initiative, and in addition to his own past experience, I cannot see how it was done through ignorance. I just can't believe that, I'm sorry, but I'm glad that he has a good friend and hope he can undo the damage somewhat in the future.

Purple, you get me exactly on the personal risk. Maybe I am making a fool out of myself, again, my choice, but my judgement involves having spent many hours talking to him. He didn't contact the COS after, he had been in contact with the COS since before he started his media and public expose. My suspicion and opinion is that they knew his buttons, pressed them, made a deal he couldn't refuse with a hidden agenda and beat him into signing a compromising declaration that they wrote and he didn't fully read. He hasn't told me that, but I signed declarations I didn't read in my rush to get out of the COS. It is not a stretch, and the COS can be viciously cunning.