What's new

I once thought that. . .

Queenmab321

Patron Meritorious
I once thought that too, then I realised Hubbard was just evil, not a genius at all!

I'm afraid I can't agree. I don't think Hubbard was ever concerned with actual scientific discovery. So, it would be unfair to judge him by his half baked theories. His genius lay in manipulation, and when it came to gaining, betraying, abusing and exploiting the confidence of his fellow creatures, Hubbard was as brilliant as he was cold blooded.

Just pull up this pdf of Robert Kaufman's Inside Scientology

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/Inside Scientology Kaufman.pdf

and read pages 189 and 190. It's really quite impressive. Of course, this passage only deals with the deceptions and traps laid within the tech itself. One must add to these the controlling effect of PTS/SP doctrines, disconnection, overts, withholds, so called "Ethics" and the dizzying array of other similarly controlling/coercive techniques, all designed by Hubbard specifically to prey on those in whom he managed to get his hooks. The bizarre, Kafkaesque twilight into which Hubbard plunges his followers is itself a kind of malign masterpiece. He was truly evil. No human being with a shred of decency could bring himself to carry out such an enterprise.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
I afraid I can't agree. I don't think Hubbard was ever concerned with actual scientific discovery. So, it would be unfair to judge him by his half baked theories. His genius lay in manipulation, and when it came to gaining, betraying, abusing and exploiting the confidence of his fellow creatures, Hubbard was as brilliant as he was cold blooded.

and read pages 189 and 190. It's really quite impressive. Of course, this passage only deals the deceptions and traps laid within the tech itself. One must add to these the controlling effect of PTS/SP doctrines, disconnection, overts, withholds, so called "Ethics" and the dizzying array of other similarly controlling/coercive techniques, all designed by Hubbard specifically to prey on those in whom he managed to get his hooks. The bizarre, Kafkaesque twilight into which Hubbard plunges his followers is itself a kind of malign masterpiece. He was truly evil. No human being with a shred of decency could bring himself to carry out such an enterprise.

I read those two pages. thanks. Good pages to read.

Sidney18511

Patron with Honors
I once thought that dianetics HAD TO BE a legitimate researched amazing NEW discovery, because I SAW the commercials on TV and TV commercials wouldn't lie.. I thought that it was something that I would find very interesting and one day I would buy and read the book.

Im glad I forgot I thought that.

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
I don't think Hubbard was ever concerned with actual scientific discovery.

I once thought that....

He was an entertainer, lol.

This video may well be, some people think but no one knows for sure, a re-enactment.

[video=youtube;U0FU1M5Ohr8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0FU1M5Ohr8[/video]

Last edited:

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
I once thought that dianetics HAD TO BE a legitimate researched amazing NEW discovery, because I SAW the commercials on TV and TV commercials wouldn't lie.. I thought that it was something that I would find very interesting and one day I would buy and read the book.

Im glad I forgot I thought that.

I once thought we could promote dn and scn successfully.

There was no way to do it!

And all these years later I'm stunned by the crud I see sold on tv. Just think if dn and scn worked!. Easy selling. Instead it was a bunch of crap and the people writing the commercials tried to hide that behind just wierd...I don't have the word.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I once thought that since all the amazing and smart people I met were SO obviously not idiots, this group that initially freaked me out couldn't possibly be a cult after all...

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
I once thought that since all the amazing and smart people I met were SO obviously not idiots, this group that initially freaked me out couldn't possibly be a cult after all...

I am exactly with you there. I thought the same thing. And I let go of all my family due to that mistake.

I once thought that scn'ist's knew what they were doing.

It's important to me to say that I did agree with the letting go and agreeing with the "new" friends.

Cause It really is all on me. And I won't be getting anything back by saying that. It's just the truth.

I was looking for the easy way out.

guanoloco

As-Wased
I once thought that using Ron as an example was an effective way of getting a point across...I once handled a computation of "all men cheat" by using Ron as an example..."Well, how about Ron? Do you think he cheated on Mary Sue?". "Of course not! Why, I should say certainly not! No!" "Well, do all men cheat then?" "Not since you put it that way..."

Can you say egg/yolk/face?

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am exactly with you there. I thought the same thing. And I let go of all my family due to that mistake.

I once thought that scn'ist's knew what they were doing.

It's important to me to say that I did agree with the letting go and agreeing with the "new" friends.

Cause It really is all on me. And I won't be getting anything back by saying that. It's just the truth.

I was looking for the easy way out.

OK, don't hate me, but the ONLY way I started healing was realizing it wasn't ALL on me. OMG, yeah, I was there, I bought the lies, but when I finally realized that I was being fucked with, and dropped the whole "entirely responsible for my own condition" was when i finally was able to work on getting back my sanity.

Yeah, you fucked up... we all did, and we had our part in our lives going to hell, but, NO, it wasn't ALL you... c'mon. There was an amazing trap, and a bunch of wonderful people all got fucked up by it. Beating the shit out of yourself is kind of the Scio mind-fuck, eh?

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
OK, don't hate me, but the ONLY way I started healing was realizing it wasn't ALL on me. OMG, yeah, I was there, I bought the lies, but when I finally realized that I was being fucked with, and dropped the whole "entirely responsible for my own condition" was when i finally was able to work on getting back my sanity.

Yeah, you fucked up... we all did, and we had our part in our lives going to hell, but, NO, it wasn't ALL you... c'mon. There was an amazing trap, and a bunch of wonderful people all got fucked up by it. Beating the shit out of yourself is kind of the Scio mind-fuck, eh?

Wow. Cool comments. I've no idea how to answer. You and I are different people. I know what I know about me, you know what you know about you.

I agreed out of something not quite right.. Beats me why the others were there. I really didn't have too many conversations about the "why" with others. Cept for the saving planet garbage.

But I do agree it was no place to be. Cept for the extra cool glasses I got in the end. Heck, I think that's what I once thought...I was always looking for. lol.

I'd rather go home now. Done being a Captain Fantastic or a Brown Dirt Cowboy. <--Awesome Track! btw

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Wow. Cool comments. I've no idea how to answer. You and I are different people. I know what I know about me, you know what you know about you.

I agreed out of something not quite right.. Beats me why the others were there. I really didn't have too many conversations about the "why" with others. Cept for the saving planet garbage.

But I do agree it was no place to be. Cept for the extra cool glasses I got in the end. Heck, I think that's what I once thought...I was always looking for. lol.

I'd rather go home now. Done being a Captain Fantastic or a Brown Dirt Cowboy. <--Awesome Track! btw

When all else fails, just watch Firefly... jmho

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
When all else fails, just watch Firefly... jmho

SO glad that DoneDeal gave a "thankyou" for this post, because after I posted, I kind of twipped out a bit, and hoped I didn't offend. I gotta say, I love Firefly... and I was hoping it would be taken in the spirit I meant it.

oh, just as a middle-aged chick, Nathan Fillion is also gorgeous, AND I'm weird enough that I think he's actually cuter now that he's older. (yes, I watch Castle).

I do think there's something about Firefly that exes can identify with... I mean has "kicking someone into the engine" given anyone else some recollections of things you once thought about?... feel free to discuss your pre-ex fantasies :).

yoiks, maybe just me.:p

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

There's gotta be a "Hubbard Law" in there somewhere. I'll have to work out the exact wording but it goes something like this…..

Hubbard Law of Total Responsibility For One's Own Condition: The infallible principle determining the cause of any unwanted condition or effect anywhere in the universe to always be yourself alone and never any terminal above you on the command channel. The responsibility for non-optimum conditions can alternately be delegated (if one is extremely busy, per HCOPL "What An Executive Wants On His Lines") to terminals below you on the command channel.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron

There's gotta be a "Hubbard Law" in there somewhere. I'll have to work out the exact wording but it goes something like this…..

Hubbard Law of Total Responsibility For One's Own Condition: The infallible principle determining the cause of any unwanted condition or effect anywhere in the universe to always be yourself alone and never any terminal above you on the command channel. The responsibility for non-optimum conditions can alternately be delegated (if one is extremely busy, per HCOPL "What An Executive Wants On His Lines") to terminals below you on the command channel.

IMHO, "responsible" doesn't mean it's your fault, it just means it's YOUR job to do something about it. If you decide that bringing back the pelt of the jub-jub bird is what you need to fix your life, then DO THAT. If getting out of the church was what you needed, then fine -- YOU DID THAT. :scnsucks:

I'm not totally happy with the use of the word "responsibility" this way. Perhaps "willingness" would have been a better word for this concept, as in "ready, willing, and able".

Perhaps some day the problems of this universe will be so close to being totally solved that it will be trivially easy for the remaining few to "get out of the trap". I can't wait that long.

Helena

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I'm afraid I can't agree. I don't think Hubbard was ever concerned with actual scientific discovery. So, it would be unfair to judge him by his half baked theories. His genius lay in manipulation, and when it came to gaining, betraying, abusing and exploiting the confidence of his fellow creatures, Hubbard was as brilliant as he was cold blooded.

and read pages 189 and 190. It's really quite impressive. Of course, this passage only deals with the deceptions and traps laid within the tech itself. One must add to these the controlling effect of PTS/SP doctrines, disconnection, overts, withholds, so called "Ethics" and the dizzying array of other similarly controlling/coercive techniques, all designed by Hubbard specifically to prey on those in whom he managed to get his hooks. The bizarre, Kafkaesque twilight into which Hubbard plunges his followers is itself a kind of malign masterpiece. He was truly evil. No human being with a shred of decency could bring himself to carry out such an enterprise.

I will let you have that, (only because of the word Kafkaesque), you can can have Hubbard as a genius in manipulation, definitely not in tech.

I do remember the Kaufman dogs galloping around the castle like rows of wigs stapled together with no restrictions, they seemed to embody freedom. I felt a little jealous of them in my sailor's outfit on a hot day.

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
BTW
Having done TRs in 1999 I now wonder how many 20 year olds in the US even KNOW what an ASH Tray is with smoking banned in virtually every building (at my company one cannot even smoke on property

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
BTW
Having done TRs in 1999 I now wonder how many 20 year olds in the US even KNOW what an ASH Tray is with smoking banned in virtually every building (at my company one cannot even smoke on property

I once thought that having a glass ashtray in a course room was acceptable.