What's new

Ask Kate your questions here...

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I am living testimony to that myself as I find myself still framing my view of the world and its inhabitants through the "spewage" that I marinated in for less than a decade. I think at times "my god, how do people ever get it completely out of their heads who spent many more years and decades REALLY IN, like 16 hours a day Sea Org in"!?!

That's basically just an extension of the old Anon-meme "What has been seen cannot be made unseen." But you can change your viewpoint regarding your experiences. You can change the levels of importance and significance they have to you, you can change the amount of influence they still have on you, you can change your interpretations of your experiences, etc.

What has been seen cannot be made unseen, but you sure can find ways to deal with it.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Who'd piling? That's assumptive. There's only three people posting at the moment and you're leaving. Not much a rabid dog pile. I didn't realize I'm that dangerous .lol. Good night.

Up in the morning. No not you at all specifically, sorry bud I should have made that clear. I see you two as locked into an interlectual dogfight like two fighter jets circling each other warily and firing a few harmless warning shot's in all your aerial acrobatics. I'm really just saying that I have an intense conceptual aversion for the piling on and the pilers on and when I saw myself becoming part of that concept I backed my jet off and trailed the aerial acrobatics from a safe distance more or less observing though firing an occasional shot myself hoping I didn't hit anyone. Didn't see that I hit you, again sorry bud, but you don't seem to be leaking fuel! I've since landed.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
That's basically just an extension of the old Anon-meme "What has been seen cannot be made unseen." But you can change your viewpoint regarding your experiences. You can change the levels of importance and significance they have to you, you can change the amount of influence they still have on you, you can change your interpretations of your experiences, etc.

What has been seen cannot be made unseen, but you sure can find ways to deal with it.

I like that and its so apropos at the moment especially, thanks. I'm copy/pasting that one into my great quotes folder. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that quote before. I kind of weave those type of concepts into my big picture psyche. Yeah and I'm working on doing just that.
What's hard is realizing that I've thrown some babies out with the bathwater and trying to fish them out, clean them up and let them grow.
Since most of Blubbards words were reworked disguised plagiarisms or so seems to be the case the more you look, I'm trying to sort out what's worth keeping from the carnage.
I've been looking at the idea of past lives lately and thinking that maybe we pass through worm holes and go into other universes and are not stuck here like Hubbard got us believing. I see evidence, to me it is, that we do pass through wormholes and mind blowing vortexes that confuse one's senses... Religions were born from dreams as was the Bible. Not one author of that ever met Jesus and the New Testament wasn't compiled until much later as it was was all about their dreams of what the "messiah" did and said when they weren't even born for 50 to 200 yrs. "AD".
I guess back in those days without TV's and the internet that was their big form of entertainment. Dreams, I find them educational but they have to my own, no more borrowed bank for me please.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Bwaahahaha! Cobol was the easiest piece of cake I've ever encountered in IT school. Really, man, Cobol? Even Basic is harder to learn. :yes:

I was intimidated by it so I changed career directions when I was already taking college calculus which proved to be too much for me. I ended up taking something like math for liberal arts. That's what happens when you purposely flunk out for a high school semester to punish your parents for punishing you! I didn't anticipate how hard it would be to pick up on higher level math after missing out on a semesters worth which the next levels were all based upon. I didn't get back into computers though till many years later and ended up specializing in a program called ESRI GIS - Geographer Information Systems.

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor
Let me say this though it's admittedly out of my area of experience really. You stand a much better chance of doing Scientology in the Freezone than at what remains of the cult itself as it stands and crumbles. You will experience the real tech, if one wishes to call it that, and for an affordable price. If you have immense amounts of discretionary cash that you don't mind blowing through then you may not mind lining up at Flag and doing it there. It appears that you have it in your mind to do the stuff and I'm just saying that the Freezone would be the lesser of evils though I don't endorse it though it would seem I just have. Terril Park would be a good guy to connect with off the board because he can't promote Freezone stuff here. Instead of it taking ten years it might take ten weeks in the Freezone, again not to promote it but to point you in a safer direction.

From all the stories and reports I've read, Flag seems the very worst place to do Scn where the influence of that mad sociopath DM is at its greatest.

One story from a close personal friend, that probably isn't on the net
is a friend's son went to Flag to do auditor training and spent the first 4 months doing O/W write ups. He was a teenager and probably a minor.
And that was perhaps a decade ago when things were not as bad as now.

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Smilla is nothing like this person, perish the thought. :ohmy:
I hope she is well! When I took my ESMB leave of absence, so to speak to get ready for the baby, she disappears! She was awesome! So supportive and helped me a lot in learning about the cult! We PMed and chat'ed from time to time and I really liked her!

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
From all the stories and reports I've read, Flag seems the very worst place to do Scn where the influence of that mad sociopath DM is at its greatest.

One story from a close personal friend, that probably isn't on the net
is a friend's son went to Flag to do auditor training and spent the first 4 months doing O/W write ups. He was a teenager and probably a minor.
And that was perhaps a decade ago when things were not as bad as now.

Terril, wow man your post brought back a memory for me. One of my best Scientology friends had been C/Sed for some type of repair auditing and he somehow came up with the money for it and afterward told me "the whole time I was in session it was all sec check shit where they were trying to find out what you (me) were saying about Scientology".
I had left the cult after finding out some things that made them nervous and they'd wanted me to sign a note where I'd be fined a large amount of money and expelled if I publicly divulged the information. That information has already been on the internet for years by now so I can easily prove that I was not the guy who let the cat out of the bag! In fact I've never bothered to talk about it because it's such old news.

kate8024

-deleted-
Bwaahahaha! Cobol was the easiest piece of cake I've ever encountered in IT school. Really, man, Cobol? Even Basic is harder to learn. :yes:

I've never programmed in cobol, personally, that was always weird old stuff in the same bin as fortran and ada for me. The vast majority of the code I've written has been in C++ but I've done at least some in pretty much all of the modern languages except ruby and the new functional programming languages like scheme.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I've never programmed in cobol, personally, that was always weird old stuff in the same bin as fortran and ada for me. The vast majority of the code I've written has been in C++ but I've done at least some in pretty much all of the modern languages except ruby and the new functional programming languages like scheme.

Man! That's all Greek to me as the saying goes. I worked with a guy in the DOT who had a degree in computers and IT which he got so long ago they worked off cards in class and not actual computers. I had to teach him everything from scratch to just go online because his career path took a non-computer direction, he mowed lawns! You really have to keep abreast of more new technology in computers and information systems than just about anything. I'm just not that detail minded and glad I'm retired.

Gadfly

Crusader

Changing the levels of importance and significance (shifting perspectives) is a key aim and result of useful mental and emotional therapies.

In VALID therapies, how you shift and change is entirely up to YOU.

But, as we all know, in Scientology, the shifts in perspective are largely micro-managed by Hubbard's ultra-controlled Bridge to Total Goofiness.

The shifts are "managed" when one involves oneself with the strict KSW mindless robot model of reality. Additionally, serious contact with the subject at all results in largely unconscious shifts paralleling Hubbard's often lame models of reality.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

Cobol itself can be pretty much considered an outdated fossil nowadays, but guess what? Learning ABAP/IV was a piece of cake too, because of my previously earned knowledge of Cobol and SQL. (Advanced SQL was a real PITA, let me tell you that. :biggrin:)

The good thing in my IT education: My teachers never taught me "just the language". They said: '"Here's an ASCII/SQL/whatever database with 20,000 entries. Now, with what you've learned yesterday, get the 3 records out of that database which meet all of the 10 conditions given in your exercise and present them as nicely as you can.

C++, Ruby, Perl, Python, whatever, they're all the same to me. Once you've learned "programming" properly, it really doesn't matter which language you work with. :coolwink:

kate8024

-deleted-
Cobol itself can be pretty much considered an outdated fossil nowadays, but guess what? Learning ABAP/IV was a piece of cake too, because of my previously earned knowledge of Cobol and SQL. (Advanced SQL was a real PITA, let me tell you that. :biggrin:)

The good thing in my IT education: My teachers never taught me "just the language". They said: '"Here's an ASCII/SQL/whatever database with 20,000 entries. Now, with what you've learned yesterday, get the 3 records out of that database which meet all of the 10 conditions given in your exercise and present them as nicely as you can.

C++, Ruby, Perl, Python, whatever, they're all the same to me. Once you've learned "programming" properly, it really doesn't matter which language you work with. :coolwink:

Argh I hate SQL lol it serves a useful purpose, of course, but still it drives me crazy. I'm a big fan of PostgreSQL though; my first experience with SQL was with MySQL then I learned Postgres and was like "where have you been all my life?"

It's very true about learning one language means it doesn't matter what language you work with. As almost all modern languages borrow heavily from C it's pretty easy to switch between them once you know the basic concepts and even for the different ones once you have learned to think in terms in classes, functions, inheritance, multithreading, etc. then its mostly learning the language specific grammar, for which one of those slim O'Reilly reference books is usually sufficient.

Now functional programming is, of course, somewhat different. We are starting to get a lot of function language concepts now in C++ since C++11 and they require a completely different way of thinking about things.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Argh I hate SQL lol it serves a useful purpose, of course, but still it drives me crazy. I'm a big fan of PostgreSQL though; my first experience with SQL was with MySQL then I learned Postgres and was like "where have you been all my life?"

It's very true about learning one language means it doesn't matter what language you work with. As almost all modern languages borrow heavily from C it's pretty easy to switch between them once you know the basic concepts and even for the different ones once you have learned to think in terms in classes, functions, inheritance, multithreading, etc. then its mostly learning the language specific grammar, for which one of those slim O'Reilly reference books is usually sufficient.

Now functional programming is, of course, somewhat different. We are starting to get a lot of function language concepts now in C++ since C++11 and they require a completely different way of thinking about things.

See a couple of highly intelligent people finding out they have something in common, real cool! We had SQL servers but they weren't even on site so thank god it wasn't my job nor department to even to have anything to do with them. We had our ITG dept. right next to my dept. so I'd generate a work order and they would take care of all that. They were a French company subcontracted and they were pretty good.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

MySQL is still a very limited SQL-dialect. If you want to get to the real stuff, goto Informix or Oracle etc. PostgreSQL can be found on almost any LINUX-distribution, but I never did more than a few light tune-ups with it.

Well, I'm an old-school LINUX user,
Code:
"<topic of my choice> --h"
is all I need.
:coolwink:

I'm currently a bit out of the loop as far as newer developments like C++11 go - in fact I have no clue what it is - but, because I have decades of learning basics under my belt, I have a justified certainty that it wouldn't take me more than a week to get the hang of it.

EDIT:
At school, I hated SQL with a passion because it was a real brain-melter but at work, my SQL-knowledge made me instant-king. I really learned to love that language.

Last edited:

kate8024

-deleted-
Well, I'm an old-school LINUX user,
Code:
"<topic of my choice> --h"
is all I need.

Well that's not usually going to give you programming language grammar, you will probably need to go at least to man pages for that :) I've been using Linux since Slackware 1.0 ah the fond memories of downloading sets of floppy images overnight! It's amazing how far its come. Most of my development work is on Linux though occasionally I get stuck having to use Windows or Mac. People would probably be surprised just how much of the serious application business world runs on Linux.

I'm currently a bit out of the loop as far as newer developments like C++11 go - in fact I have no clue what it is - but, because I have decades of learning basics under my belt, I have a justified certainty that it wouldn't take me more than a week to get the hang of it.

C++11 is the latest standard and it took way too long to get standardised. A lot of the improvements are most relevant for template metaprogramming. The biggest thing though is now they are going to have target dates for new standards, so C++14 and C++17 are on the horizon. gcc supports most of the C++11 improvements (some have even been there for a long time) but of course Microsoft is lagging behind in Visual Studio.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Kate, I hate to ask but did you get declared for coming over here and talking COS "reform" and cavorting with the enemy rather than delivering an effective blow? You must have known they'd read your posts here and we all told you that reform just ain't happening as it would cost them control and $$$... :eyeroll: