What's new

Shamed Olympian Scott Miller trains as Narconon recruiter - Melbourne

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Scott Miller - out of the frying pan and into the fire.
It's basically a puff piece for Narconon. Poor bloke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sive-sauna-vitamin-therapy-ice-addiction.html

The Church of Scientology has hired Olympic swimmer Scott Miller as a recruiter for a drug rehabilitation centre where the methamphetamine user 'dried out' on a controversial intensive sauna and vitamin therapy.

The gold medal winner, more recently well-known as an 'ice' addict, has been training at the secluded Narconon Drug Treatment Centre in the Yarra Ranges, east of Melbourne.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Scott Miller - out of the frying pan and into the fire.
It's basically a puff piece for Narconon. Poor bloke.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sive-sauna-vitamin-therapy-ice-addiction.html

From http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sive-sauna-vitamin-therapy-ice-addiction.html :

Narconon, a drug treatment program based on teachings of Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, operates a private rehabilitation centre at O'Shannassy Lodge, in remote bushland outside the Victorian country town of Warburton.

Is that the same Warburton mentioned in this article? http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/8813809/scientologys-plan-to-expand-into-suburbs

If so: Interesting...

Related thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?35202-A-Current-Affair-Australia-Scientology-s-Grand-Plans

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes, I saw that. Just a couple of weeks back he received a 12 month suspended sentence for drug-supply possession/trafficking offenses after completing the 5 month Rehab program. I wonder if he actually sold his share in the brothel he co-owned with his partner in 2012?

PS: anyone looking to see the 60 Minutes reports; put "olympian" into the video search, that worked better than using Scott Miller as a search term for me.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'll give 10:1 on that particular "Celebrity Connection" biting them in the butt sometime soon! :biggrin:

Yup. It will also bite him in the butt now. Narconon is under attack worldwide.

So he goes from disgraced swimmer to disgraced promoter.

I don't think that is on a gradient.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Let me see.....

Recovering drug addict.

Recovery at Narconon .

Going to work for Narconon.

Developing criminal track record.

Ex part owner in a brothel.

Celebrity Status.

Looks like this will all work well......... for sure........ oh dear......

But then again, also looks like the perfect recruit for a Scientology front group, you think?

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
He got roped into the Narconon program quite some time ago - he signed an exclusive interview contract with 60 Minutes around the same time.

I mentioned it to the reporter I just did a Narconon story with, hoping that he (working for the same network) may be able to get something on it.

I'd say this will be a match that both sides regret very quickly. Scott's possibly already having second thoughts after the recent media/council decisions.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I've really got this feeling that Scott isn't quite out of the woods yet re the addiction problem.

he looked to me to be a man still struggling with those demons and hasn't quite come to terms with them yet.

What do you think, Scooter?

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
My take:

Scott has “finished” the program and is now training to be a NarCONon reg – maybe even going to the Melbourne org for sales training.

He’ll be the equivalent of a Div 6 Reg, minimum pay for a NarCONon staff BUT will be on commission for every sale he gets. I’d say he’s been told he can make a few thousand a week doing this. Some weeks he may, most weeks he won’t.

He’s been guilted into joining because he “needs to contribute to society and to the group that got him off drugs.” He’s also being pushed to keep up his studies of Hubbardspew because that’s what “saved” him – next stop Drug Rundown at Melbourne org or the AO.

He’ll be living/eating/sleeping with other staff for now and won’t be going ANYWHERE unchaperoned if NarCONon have anything to do with it. Most of their successes as such (like his now-senior, Chrissie Bauer) stayed clean by joining staff and staying away from the drug hangs, old friends etc etc. (although Chrissie has had a few reversions along the way, as have all the other staff that joined after the program that I personally know.)

He’s been “wrapping up cycles” so he can start on staff and has now “arrived” and started his training as a reg.

He’ll be being groomed as a tame celebrity for the cult – expect him shilling for NarCONon and then Melbourne org real soon – that’s if he doesn’t revert in the meantime (biggest concern for NarCONon right now.) He’ll do the usual ethics, retread etc if he does revert (a very good chance despite what the cult will try to do) and he’ll be quietly put back on staff with the cult hoping the news doesn’t leak.

If he goes sour, he’s still officially on probation for his convictions and that, plus his extensive O/W write-ups done on the program, will probably keep him from going public if he becomes “disaffected.”

He hasn’t seen much sun of late as he’s been inside doing his program – he’s got a bit of that “fixed, dedicated glare” that a True Believer gets at the end of the program – he’ll lose that IF he leaves staff. Good chance he’ll take up cigarettes and occasional binges on the booze at Warburton pub with the rest of the staff.

Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary :biggrin:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Thanks Scooter, your inside knowledge is very revelational. Yeah, I know, not a real word, but it seems to fit somehow...

I have no idea (and I guess many of us here as well) of how life is inside Narconon.

It looks like Scott's life is still on a downward spiral in more ways than one and I feel sad for him. He hasn't realised that Narconon will most likely wreck everything he has achieved thus far. Maybe that is what I was picking up on.

But it all hinges on the choices we make. I wish him well in his journey and really hope he finds his way.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I wonder how he feels about his ex wife recently committing suicide? Her emotional issues started and ended with him & what he did in their marriage.

I don't have much sympathy for this dude.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I wonder how he feels about his ex wife recently committing suicide? Her emotional issues started and ended with him & what he did in their marriage.

I don't have much sympathy for this dude.

I didn't know much about him when I first posted, hadn't watched 60 Minutes, and I tend to agree with you.

I think Narconon have bought themselves a giant foot bullet. Like attracts like?

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
My take:

Scott has “finished” the program and is now training to be a NarCONon reg – maybe even going to the Melbourne org for sales training.

He’ll be the equivalent of a Div 6 Reg, minimum pay for a NarCONon staff BUT will be on commission for every sale he gets. I’d say he’s been told he can make a few thousand a week doing this. Some weeks he may, most weeks he won’t.

He’s been guilted into joining because he “needs to contribute to society and to the group that got him off drugs.” He’s also being pushed to keep up his studies of Hubbardspew because that’s what “saved” him – next stop Drug Rundown at Melbourne org or the AO.

He’ll be living/eating/sleeping with other staff for now and won’t be going ANYWHERE unchaperoned if NarCONon have anything to do with it. Most of their successes as such (like his now-senior, Chrissie Bauer) stayed clean by joining staff and staying away from the drug hangs, old friends etc etc. (although Chrissie has had a few reversions along the way, as have all the other staff that joined after the program that I personally know.)

He’s been “wrapping up cycles” so he can start on staff and has now “arrived” and started his training as a reg.

He’ll be being groomed as a tame celebrity for the cult – expect him shilling for NarCONon and then Melbourne org real soon – that’s if he doesn’t revert in the meantime (biggest concern for NarCONon right now.) He’ll do the usual ethics, retread etc if he does revert (a very good chance despite what the cult will try to do) and he’ll be quietly put back on staff with the cult hoping the news doesn’t leak.

If he goes sour, he’s still officially on probation for his convictions and that, plus his extensive O/W write-ups done on the program, will probably keep him from going public if he becomes “disaffected.”

He hasn’t seen much sun of late as he’s been inside doing his program – he’s got a bit of that “fixed, dedicated glare” that a True Believer gets at the end of the program – he’ll lose that IF he leaves staff. Good chance he’ll take up cigarettes and occasional binges on the booze at Warburton pub with the rest of the staff.

Just my 2 cents worth. Your mileage may vary :biggrin:

I seem to be confused scooter. I thought the Melbourne ORG was a religious organization not a commercial sales training center? :coolwink: