What's new

Truth about Scientology website

mow

I believe Kristi's intention with this website is maybe good. However, this website acts like the branding of Jews with the star of David by the Nazi's during the time of Hitler.

I do not want to share the fact that I am former Scientologist with everyone who does a Google search on my name. But I am branded by this website. Every potential employer, associate, friend, etc. is made aware of my former involvement. Discrimination is a natural fact.

I ask Kristi to provide some sort of mechanism to allow names to be removed while statistics remain if that is truly her intention. Please don't brand me with a star of David like the Nazi's did to the Jews.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Just say it is a different Joe Schmoe (or whatever).

Has it been an actual problem in your life that someone is illegally discriminating against you in employment, housing etc.? (How's that for a loaded question?)

Welcome to ESMB, by the way. :)

Paul

mow

Unfortunately, I don't have a name that is so easy to do that with but that is not really the issue.

The issue is still as I've noted above. It's really like having to wear the star of David or being listed as communist in the 50's. What is the purpose in listing someone as a communist or branding them with the star of David? That site brands anyone who even took a Communication Course forever. It gets enough hits that it comes up pretty high on google. The fact that I took a couple scn courses is my own private business. I find it oppressive to list people like that, particularly those who are not active or haven't been active for many years.

Thanks for the welcome though.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Point taken, but it's not likely to change, is it? I believe Kristi will post a disclaimer for you, if you wish, saying "I'm no longer a Scientologist" or whatever. Apart from that, just learn to live with it. I doubt if anyone else really cares that you did a couple of courses once. Be thankful you didn't pose for nude photos in college and now they're online next to your name in an article written by a pissed-off ex-boyfriend or girlfriend. :)

Paul

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Point taken, but it's not likely to change, is it? I believe Kristi will post a disclaimer for you, if you wish, saying "I'm no longer a Scientologist" or whatever. Apart from that, just learn to live with it. I doubt if anyone else really cares that you did a couple of courses once. Be thankful you didn't pose for nude photos in college and now they're online next to your name in an article written by a pissed-off ex-boyfriend or girlfriend. :)

Paul

If I had to be pictorialized a la carte I'd sure rather have it be then than now.

I see the point if your name is Larry Wisnotzitkowski. But would you really want to work for someone who'd go to the trouble to dig names out of a non criminal moldy past?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
One advantage of the CofS being labelled a religion is you can avoid discrimination in employment or housing based on your past religion.

I don't know what the law is with regard to discrimination against people who were once merely members of insane cults. :)

Paul

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
I believe Kristi's intention with this website is maybe good. However, this website acts like the branding of Jews with the star of David by the Nazi's during the time of Hitler.

I do not want to share the fact that I am former Scientologist with everyone who does a Google search on my name. But I am branded by this website. Every potential employer, associate, friend, etc. is made aware of my former involvement. Discrimination is a natural fact.

I ask Kristi to provide some sort of mechanism to allow names to be removed while statistics remain if that is truly her intention. Please don't brand me with a star of David like the Nazi's did to the Jews.

I too have tried several times emailing Kristi the same issue about my name and I get no response...this is NOT right. I do NOT want my name affiliated with the cult...I have been out for some time and she has no right to allow that false branding to continue and ignore attempts to reach her about it.

If anyone has a direct contact for kristi that would help, even if it meant you contacting her to communicate this upset with being branded-perhaps she will respond....anyone to help would be appreciated..

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
Just say it is a different Joe Schmoe (or whatever).

Has it been an actual problem in your life that someone is illegally discriminating against you in employment, housing etc.? (How's that for a loaded question?)

Welcome to ESMB, by the way. :)

Paul

You have to remember that she also has your name linked to the WISE stuff if you have a business...so as many do--if they go to check out your business and there comes up your name, your business..yes it can definitely hurt people ---so something does need to be done......

In good faith, and with keeping the spirit of 'rewarding' and 'helping' those that have left --Kristi should do the right thing and find a way to honor our requests.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
You have to remember that she also has your name linked to the WISE stuff if you have a business...so as many do--if they go to check out your business and there comes up your name, your business..yes it can definitely hurt people ---so something does need to be done......

In good faith, and with keeping the spirit of 'rewarding' and 'helping' those that have left --Kristi should do the right thing and find a way to honor our requests.

Is there a genuine case of someone discriminating against you because you once supported a dangerous cult? Or is it that you are embarrassed because you once thought it was valuable?

I believe Kristi's viewpoint is that she will put in disclaimers to clarify a person's current position, but will not remove a person's name because they don't want to be associated with the CofS any longer. I'm not saying she is right or wrong in her view, merely stating it.

"When rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it" isn't particularly bad advice at all.

Paul

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
Is there a genuine case of someone discriminating against you because you once supported a dangerous cult? Or is it that you are embarrassed because you once thought it was valuable?

I believe Kristi's viewpoint is that she will put in disclaimers to clarify a person's current position, but will not remove a person's name because they don't want to be associated with the CofS any longer. I'm not saying she is right or wrong in her view, merely stating it.

"When rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it" isn't particularly bad advice at all.

Paul

One -total embarassment. Two, you can see all the data needed to be labelled from the 'search results'-so unless someone goes to her site they would not see that your last course was umpteen years ago. Three, even if you no longer do service the fact that you DID can indicate BAD judgement and that is all many need to judge you or your business. There is more but the bottom line is it is like blacklisting because scientology is poorly regarded and now with all the good coverage about the abuses--it is even worse to have your name or your business affiliated with the church in any way....
so this is not something I take lightly....

you dont know how many people found your name or your business name and saw what they saw and never became a customer. Also I have searched for old friends that I had lost touch with and all I do is type in their name and the last known city I had on them and lots of data pops up----so if an old friend looks me up...well there is Kristi's website.....

It isnt right.

This doesnt speak to the fact that when you are 'out' and trying to heal and recover that you have that reminder there all the time....it hurts me personally to see it and be reminded that I was once engaged in a cult.

If krisit wants to help truly-then she should do something about it.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I understand, boldgirl. Kristi will do whatever she will do, but there is one thing you personally can do which won't depend so much on another. Which is to put lots of OTHER things online containing your name, so when people Google it they will mainly see all these OTHER things and not the entry or two from Kristi's site. :)

Paul

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
I understand, boldgirl. Kristi will do whatever she will do, but there is one thing you personally can do which won't depend so much on another. Which is to put lots of OTHER things online containing your name, so when people Google it they will mainly see all these OTHER things and not the entry or two from Kristi's site. :)

Paul

how ? It isnt like I am famous or anything.....oops now they will discover who I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :omg:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome mow!

I have read this thread and here's my views on this. Nothing like having lots of different angles on things...

I was like you - God forbid my name come up associated with this cult. Those sad little web site things that scientology set up (forget what they're called off-hand) worried me sick as they just never updated them. I felt like I was stuck with the association forever more, branded a cultie! I really felt a strong reaction to that.

As time passed and I did loads more research into what I had really been involved in, as I healed, I found a bit of strength and my perspective changed.

Now days if anyone found my name associated with the cult, I would say "yes I did get snared into that. Insidious tactics that group has! The woman putting together that site (Kristie) is compiling the info more for historical purposes. I'll think you'll find many many of those who did do scientology have long left it. Like me. You want to know how crazy that group is, well I can tell you.."

So I kind of use it as an opportunity to get some truth out there.

I can't change the fact that I was involved with scientology for 20 years. It happened. I hate that fact but I'm stuck with it. My name is in their publications, etc. Many many times as I came through the emotional turmoil I just wished I could have turned the clock back, been a vibrant young woman again and never lost all those wasted years.

Having said all that, I do fully appreciate your point of view. Just thought I'd share mine with you for what it's worth.

Again, welcome. :flowers:

Escalus

Patron Meritorious
FYI to mow et al...

Please understand right now that the Truth About Scientology website is an invaluable resource to people making an attempt to counter some of the cult's activities.

This thread on Enturbulation
http://forums.enturbulation.org/42-...arwater-business-petition-man-harpoons-13834/
will demonstrate the value of the site right now, I hope, and the data is still needed.

It might not be a bad idea to suggest that people leaving the cult are starred or flagged as "now out" or something at some point. I recognize that this doesn't altogether handle the concern, but maybe something can be done in future? I'm not sure.

Easy for me to say an that I left before this list started to be compiled, I know - and so it may not sound like I'm taking into account the ramifications of what you're saying, mow. But things are going on right now that - for now - require public access to this information.

Maybe not a great answer, but just an FYI for now

Boldgirl

Patron Meritorious
FYI to mow et al...

Please understand right now that the Truth About Scientology website is an invaluable resource to people making an attempt to counter some of the cult's activities.

This thread on Enturbulation
http://forums.enturbulation.org/42-...arwater-business-petition-man-harpoons-13834/
will demonstrate the value of the site right now, I hope, and the data is still needed.

It might not be a bad idea to suggest that people leaving the cult are starred or flagged as "now out" or something at some point. I recognize that this doesn't altogether handle the concern, but maybe something can be done in future? I'm not sure.

Easy for me to say an that I left before this list started to be compiled, I know - and so it may not sound like I'm taking into account the ramifications of what you're saying, mow. But things are going on right now that - for now - require public access to this information.

Maybe not a great answer, but just an FYI for now

Thanks--and I do agree that the petition counter in CW was a lot easier to do with Kristi's site---

But still why is so hard to have a mechanisn to 'delete' a name? It is literally as hard as pressing the 'delete' button in her list....and people should be given that option if they request it. Otherwise she is technically blacklisting and is no different than a scilon.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks--and I do agree that the petition counter in CW was a lot easier to do with Kristi's site---

But still why is so hard to have a mechanisn to 'delete' a name? It is literally as hard as pressing the 'delete' button in her list....and people should be given that option if they request it. Otherwise she is technically blacklisting and is no different than a scilon.

Wow, I checked on a bunch of people I knew. Most of them haven't done recent services, but a few have as recently as 2006. No one is showing above OT V though.

I take it back, Mike Chatelain did OT 8 in 1990 and is still around as recently as 2006. Maybe that's the latest update they have.

mow

It is totally unnecessary to list everyone's name like that. People who are saying, "Just live with it", "Give me an example of when you've been discriminated against, etc." should be saying, "Yeah, you're right. It is unnecessary branding and to use a scn word, downright suppressive." Frankly, I question her motives. She doesn't need to do that to accomplish the goals of her site.

Asking someone to give you an example of when they have been discriminated against, is like asking a black person to list every example where they've been discriminated against. The person doesn't have the knowledge but still suffers. If someone isn't given a job, how do they know the reason? No one says, "Oh are you a scientologist...well then we are not interested."

I wonder if her site is a scn front. A friend emailed her to get her name off and was then called by scn out of the blue a couple days later.

If her motives are good, she can find a way to use people's initials or something.

The attitude that "oh there is nothing we can do about it so just live with it, etc." is wrong. She can rethink what she is doing.

Don't condemn anyone who has ever completed a course for their lifetime.

free1996

Patron with Honors
to tell or not to tell

I learn a long time ago to not say anything about Scientology as it caused me problems in a marriage I had, Friends I made, and even church. People dont understand it and the more you try to explain, you look like a crazy person. Also people feel like at any moment, you will kill yourself for them and take others with you. It's really crazy the questions I use to get.