What's new

Back when you were in, how did you feel about SQUIRRELS??

HollywoodGuy

Patron with Honors
I was only involved with Scientology for five years, but during that time, I thought it was strange how other Church members had such contempt and hostility for squirrels. Even today, I know Scientologists, and one time, I was appalled when one of them told me, "I will have nothing whatsoever to do with a SQUIRREL," as if he were talking about a child molester.

My grandmother was a declared SP, so I was required to disconnect from her when I first got involved with Scientology. I had never had a bad relationship with her, I had always gotten along with her for the most part and seen her regularly while growing up. But there were definitely legitimate reasons for thinking she absolutely was a suppressive person, so I was fine with disconnecting from her so I could get services (it was actually a pretty amicable disconnection, she was delighted that I'd be getting auditing).

However, none of these reasons had anything to do with why the Church had declared her an SP. No, the reason the Church thought she was suppressive was because she was a SQUIRREL!! (Actually, the reason she got declared in the first place was for blowing staff, but I didn't find that out until a few years after I was essentially out of Scientology) I have no idea if anyone in the Church had any knowledge of the bad situation happening with my grandmother way back when, but if there was a reason for my grandmother being declared an SP, it should have been over that bad situation, not because she was a squirrel.

I never cared that my grandmother was a squirrel. At the same time, I didn't understand why people wanted to squirrel in the first place. I didn't understand why people just couldn't put their faith in the Church. I was young and naive. :eyeroll:

It seems like at the end of the day, the only litmus test the Church uses for determining someone to be an SP is whether or not they're a squirrel or a critic.

Looking at it now, I have this to say about the Church and squirrels:

When it comes down to it, the Church doesn't want to have any competition. This is why they hate psychiatry, this is why they hate squirrels. They want to have a monopoly on the subject of the mind and self-help!

Well, how insecure must the Church feel about the products its selling if it feels threatened by competition from squirrels?

I always thought that competition only encourages excellence. That's why the free market works so well.

So instead of demonizing the independent Scientologists as "squirrels," the Church should really say, "Bring on the competition! It will only push us to provide better services!"

It has nothing to do with squirrels "altering Hubbard's tech to the point where it becomes unworkable." If they really did that, then logically, what would follow is that squirrels wouldn't have any workable products to sell, and therefore, wouldn't pose any competition to the Church.

So, for those of you who were ever in the Church, how did you really feel about squirrels? Did you hate them? Were you really bothered by them?

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I first got into Scientology in the 1980s I think it was just after lots of people had left to form the independent movement and there were anti-squirrel stickers everywhere in my local org.

When I did my Purif, my twin was a staff member and I remember when we went to the local sauna we met a guy who apparently used to be a staff member and was now "a squirrel" and my twin spoke to him with some contempt.

So I was heavily indoctrinated into looking out for squirrelling and reporting it whenever it occurred.

This is all very ironic because many years later I had several arguments with staff members and even RTC about their "squirrelling" of tech and policy and that led to me leaving the cult.

Mystic

Crusader
When I first got into Scientology in the 1980s I think it was just after lots of people had left to form the independent movement and there were anti-squirrel stickers everywhere in my local org.

When I did my Purif, my twin was a staff member and I remember when we went to the local sauna we met a guy who apparently used to be a staff member and was now "a squirrel" and my twin spoke to him with some contempt.

So I was heavily indoctrinated into looking out for squirrelling and reporting it whenever it occurred.

This is all very ironic because many years later I had several arguments with staff members and even RTC about their "squirrelling" of tech and policy and that led to me leaving the cult.

The hubbard thing was spewing this "squirrel" schoidt..., well, first time I heard him use the "squirrel" word was in 1957. He was bitching about Sylvan Stein, Jack Horner and Frank...Frank what's his name.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Back when I was in how did I think about squirrels?

Well, it wasn't very sane at all. I thoroughly believed somehow that there was Hubbard tech and it was good and helped people, and squirrels misapplied this wonderful technology and either didn't help people to such an extent as was possible, or even <gasp> harmed people!

This was in terms of people using Scn stuff. I didn't consider other practices in the spiritual field as "squirreling." More a case of they hadn't seen the light and jumped on the Hubbard bandwagon yet.

I don't even cringe any more about how misguided I was. :)

Paul

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
There are degrees and categories of "Squirrel".

It's not easy to answer that question intelligently without context. As a fully indoctrinated Scieno, one is usually focussed on what you're doing to clear the planet and/or gaining a deeper understanding of Scientology. Thinking about slightly altering the applications laid out by LRH was a sign of stupidity and inability to grasp the meaning and intent of LRH. As a tech guy, my confusions about applications were handled in Qual or word clearing or checking references. Squirrelling was a remote concept. You don't stay in an org as a functioning worker if you are knowingly altering the "tech."

On the other hand, if there was a disagreement about application in a tech setting, people get fairly testy about this and start calling each other squirrels.

As a Scientologist, you get used to people, at times good friends, staying out, blowing, not wanting to come in, or leaving. I considered all of those folks squirrels to some degree. I didn't hate them but felt they were deluding themselves and could be recovered.

Now that I'm out, I consider using the term "squirrel" a nasty divisive term which handily demonizes someone who isn't doing exactly what LRH says to do. It's a control device. For example, if your best friend thinks the ethics conditions are BS, instead of spending time trying to see what HIS ideas are, you can simply call him as a squirrel and stop thinking about a better way to to do conditions. Political groups similarly cast opposing groups as the enemy which prevents thinking about the opposing group's alternative ideas (which might be better) and keeps your own group intact.

No fraternizing with the troops. No fraternizing with the enemy.

TG1

Angelic Poster
HollywoodGuy,

Listen to me. I am about to feed you a cog:

When you finally figure out that "squirrel" is a word that means "a person whom Scientologists must fear and hate because anyone who leaves the CoS bubble threatens the fascistic Group Think that is the CoS" then you will be a little further along the path to your Leaving Scientology Clear Status, at which point you will cognite "WTF was I thinking?!"

TG1

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

The hubbard thing was spewing this "squirrel" schoidt..., well, first time I heard him use the "squirrel" word was in 1957. He was bitching about Sylvan Stein, Jack Horner
and Frank...Frank what's his name.

Sinatra.

Frank did it "his way". That's not a good thing in Ronswayology.

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
I mostly bought the party line until AAC showed up, since it seemed like they weren't so much squirrels as competition. At that point, the official "church" just started looking like an abusive monopoly to me.

FoTi

Crusader
Sinatra.

Frank did it "his way". That's not a good thing in Ronswayology.

Maybe that's because Frank wasn't allowed to do the Bridge....no OT Levels anyway. :no: ......(because of his connection to the Mafia? :unsure:) ...so he had no choice but to squirrel :squirrel: if he wanted to chase the carrot. (Don't know if he ever did) I wonder if his auditor is still in Scientology.

You see....squirrels were necessary for those people that the Church of Scientology barred from doing the Bridge to Total Freedom within the so called Church of Scientology, or for those that the CoS messed up and needed help from an auditor outside the CoS, to recover from the suppression and insanity which they experienced while in the CoS (also referred to as "Ronswayology", by HH).

I wish I'd known about a good Squirrel back then....it would have saved me a lot of money.

If I had known the truth about the AAC back when it started, I would have left Scientology and would have saved my inheritance from being swallowed up by the CoS.

cb1975

Patron
Squirrelling is one of those "a-ha" moments for me...

In the early days, it's all about whatever's true for you yada yada yada, use what works yada yada yada

and then all of a sudden , you need to be 100% agreeable...

I've got this from the SO.... You shouldn't really "think" about squirrels at all.. you should HANDLE HANDLE HANDLE...

PS: I'm not all that great with technology, and it appears that these pictures are lopsided... Not sure what happened...

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Welcome Newbie C B! :happydance: :thumbsup:

Aw...what's NOT to love???

Animals-Funny-Squirrels-800x960.jpg

Seriously...as a mind control device...labeling people squirrels, or labeling any text, practice or belief "squirrel" is not only demonizing them but is a THOUGHT STOPPING DEVICE. It is designed to STOP you from cognitively and emotionally exploring it further and finding any possible truth, validity or worth there.

Sigh.

Gib

Crusader
Seriously...as a mind control device...labeling people squirrels, or labeling any text, practice or belief "squirrel" is not only demonizing them but is a THOUGHT STOPPING DEVICE. It is designed to STOP you from cognitively and emotionally exploring it further and finding any possible truth, validity or worth there.

Sigh.

Also, labeling people squirrels was used by Hubbard as a means of persuasion (rhetoric) to discredit people and keep Hubbard as source as creditable, there can be only one, a monopoly, as Hubbard said people want "Ron's Brand". (note Hubbard said it, as authority, not people. LOL)

Since Hubbard was learned in Rhetoric writing skills, the specific informal logical fallacies Hubbard used were "ad hominen" and "appeal to authority". Hubbard attacked the squirrels and said he was the authority.

Here are easy to read explanations of the informal logical fallacies:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/05/26/classical-rhetoric-101-logical-fallacies/

Gib

Crusader

The hubbard thing was spewing this "squirrel" schoidt..., well, first time I heard him use the "squirrel" word was in 1957. He was bitching about Sylvan Stein, Jack Horner and Frank...Frank what's his name.

Could Frank have been Frank Turnbull from New Zealand?

Frank is mentioned in this copyrighted 1956 Ability.

Sylvan Stein is mentioned in it as well. Nibs is mentioned as well.

As a side note, I see where the current COS got their "exclamation point" !!!!!!!!!! tech from. :laugh:The first page is littered with !!!!!!!!!. :laugh: as well as throughout the article.

http://www.matrixfiles.com/Scientol...0-192 Journal/Ability 32 (1956, 12 of 20).pdf

phenomanon

Canyon
Sylvan and Jack came thru my hometown on their was from D.C. to L.A. Thee was no one named Frank with them, so I dunno about him.
I had auditing from Sylvan, and my (then) Spouse had some intro stuff with Jack. ( Jack borrowed $500.00 from Spouse. LOL) Jack was with his (then) wife Melody.
I never knew Sylvan other than on a professional level, but Jack and I were friends thru the years. COS "fair gamed" Jack without cease and without mercy. They routinely sent their parishioner spies around
his Center in Santa Monica.
I told Heber, " Listen, jack Horner is driving around in an old '52 Chevy. He is no threat to the "Church".

phenomanon

Canyon
I was only involved with Scientology for five years, but during that time, I thought it was strange how other Church members had such contempt and hostility for squirrels. Even today, I know Scientologists, and one time, I was appalled when one of them told me, "I will have nothing whatsoever to do with a SQUIRREL," as if he were talking about a child molester.

My grandmother was a declared SP, so I was required to disconnect from her when I first got involved with Scientology. I had never had a bad relationship with her, I had always gotten along with her for the most part and seen her regularly while growing up. But there were definitely legitimate reasons for thinking she absolutely was a suppressive person, so I was fine with disconnecting from her so I could get services (it was actually a pretty amicable disconnection, she was delighted that I'd be getting auditing).

However, none of these reasons had anything to do with why the Church had declared her an SP. No, the reason the Church thought she was suppressive was because she was a SQUIRREL!! (Actually, the reason she got declared in the first place was for blowing staff, but I didn't find that out until a few years after I was essentially out of Scientology) I have no idea if anyone in the Church had any knowledge of the bad situation happening with my grandmother way back when, but if there was a reason for my grandmother being declared an SP, it should have been over that bad situation, not because she was a squirrel.

I never cared that my grandmother was a squirrel. At the same time, I didn't understand why people wanted to squirrel in the first place. I didn't understand why people just couldn't put their faith in the Church. I was young and naive. :eyeroll:

It seems like at the end of the day, the only litmus test the Church uses for determining someone to be an SP is whether or not they're a squirrel or a critic.

Looking at it now, I have this to say about the Church and squirrels:

When it comes down to it, the Church doesn't want to have any competition. This is why they hate psychiatry, this is why they hate squirrels. They want to have a monopoly on the subject of the mind and self-help!

Well, how insecure must the Church feel about the products its selling if it feels threatened by competition from squirrels?

I always thought that competition only encourages excellence. That's why the free market works so well.

So instead of demonizing the independent Scientologists as "squirrels," the Church should really say, "Bring on the competition! It will only push us to provide better services!"

It has nothing to do with squirrels "altering Hubbard's tech to the point where it becomes unworkable." If they really did that, then logically, what would follow is that squirrels wouldn't have any workable products to sell, and therefore, wouldn't pose any competition to the Church.

So, for those of you who were ever in the Church, how did you really feel about squirrels? Did you hate them? Were you really bothered by them?

I was a squirrel.
I always believed that Any Auditing is Better Than No Auditing.

Mystic

Crusader
Could Frank have been Frank Turnbull from New Zealand?

Frank is mentioned in this copyrighted 1956 Ability.

Sylvan Stein is mentioned in it as well. Nibs is mentioned as well.

As a side note, I see where the current COS got their "exclamation point" !!!!!!!!!! tech from. :laugh:The first page is littered with !!!!!!!!!. :laugh: as well as throughout the article.

http://www.matrixfiles.com/Scientol...0-192 Journal/Ability 32 (1956, 12 of 20).pdf

Wasn't Frank Turnbull, Gib. I knew Frank T. at St. Hill in the early 60s. I remember Hubbard-thing's squirrel Frank, Frank Hoskins.

Gib

Crusader

Wasn't Frank Turnbull, Gib. I knew Frank T. at St. Hill in the early 60s. I remember Hubbard-thing's squirrel Frank, Frank Hoskins.

Thanks.

I'd like to ask you, forthright, what is your opinion of hubbard, w/o the mystic language. Just a clear concise paragraph, since you knew the man and worked with him.

Can you give a few paragraphs, a short essay you might say.

Mystic

Crusader
Thanks.

I'd like to ask you, forthright, what is your opinion of hubbard, w/o the mystic language. Just a clear concise paragraph, since you knew the man and worked with him.

Can you give a few paragraphs, a short essay you might say.

Hubbard was just an artificial entity used as a "channel" for some 267 lower-consciousness beings. His capacity to feel was awful, his recognition of people was terrible. When talking with him/it/whatever, it was like something was always missing. He was just a vacuum of soulless nothing. I now find him totally unimportant.

Gib

Crusader

Hubbard was just an artificial entity used as a "channel" for some 267 lower-consciousness beings. His capacity to feel was awful, his recognition of people was terrible. When talking with him/it/whatever, it was like something was always missing. He was just a vacuum of soulless nothing. I now find him totally unimportant.

Did you ever see him cry, give an emotional cry that produced actual tears, or a tear in his eye, or wettness. For a bad thing, or a good thing?

I cry all the time over a emotional scene in a movie.