What's new

INSIDIOUS ENSLAVEMENT:STUDY TECHNOLOGY

mockingbird

Silver Meritorious Patron
Okay this post is intended to clear up and expand on my earlier thread THE BLACK HEART OF DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY;THE BLACK HEART OF L RON HUBBARD.

I intend here to address and explain the Barriers to Study (BTS ), the " tech " to handle them, and the accompanying phenomena ( BTSP ) and their true meaning and purpose. I will attempt to show how the BTS and BTSP are a form of coercive persuasion (mind control).

I know this is an extreme assertion and will attempt to clearly lay out my case , bit by bit , and just ask that you PLEASE objectively LOOK at what I'm saying and see if it could be or is true .

I believe I should present some definitions of some terms I will use to make clear what I mean when I use them , as some have different meanings in different contexts, and some may be unfamiliar; please bear with me.

Associations : a linked or connected group of ideas , feelings , and behavior , SIMILAR to complexes in psychology.

BTS : the Barriers to Study in scientology , and the accompanying techniques to detect , and " handle " them

BTSP : the Barriers to Study phenomena ; in scentology what is when encountered interpreted as showing one or more barriers are present and need to be " handled " with the " technology of study "

Complexes : Associations of thought , feelings , and behavior ; defined by Carl Jung as a node in the unconscious feelings , and beliefs detectable indirectly , through behavior that is puzzling or hard to account for. In Jung's theory complexes may be conscious , partly conscious , or unconscious , complexes can be positive or negative resulting in good or bad consequences

Cognitive : having to do with thought ; it's creation , function and relationship to emotions and behavior

Cognitive Dissonance : In psychology the theory that there can be excessive mental stress and discomfort experienced by an individual who (1 )holds two or more contradictory beliefs , ideas , or values at the same time or ( 2 ) is confronted by new information that conflicts with existing beliefs , ideas or values . This stress and discomfort may also arise within an individual who holds a belief and performs a contradictory action or reaction

Cognitive Distortions : exaggerated or irrational thought patterns that are believed to perpetuate (keep occurring ) the effects of psychopathological ( showing a mental disorder , or caused by a mental disorder ) states . AKA habitual negative thoughts

Cognitive Restructuring : changing thought , over time , in an individual by repeatedly thinking different thoughts ( from previous undesired ones ) changing very gradually the emotions and behaviors ASSOCIATED with these thoughts

Disorder : patterns of psychological or behavioral symptoms that impact multiple life areas and/or create DISTRESS for the person experiencing the symptoms

Hypnosis :a state in which a person loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction

Hypnoanalysis : a method of psychoanalysis in which a patient is put into hypnosis in an attempt to secure data , free associations , and early emotional reactions

Loaded Language : In rhetoric , loaded language is wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes

Psychoanalysis : a method of analyzing psychic ( mental ) phenomena and treating emotional disorders that involves treatment sessions during which the patient is encouraged to talk freely about personal experiences and especially about early childhood and dreams

Rhetoric : language that is intended to influence people and that may not be honest or reasonable

Stress : a state of mental or emotional strain or tension resulting from adverse or very demanding circumstances

I believe that hypnosis can be induced ( caused ) by confusing a person , and that in method 3 word clearing a person CONFUSES themself.
By finishing a sentence , paragraph , or page and KNOWING they understand what they just read BUT , by spotting MU phenomena they KNOW they have an MU ; thereby confusing their own mind !

Furthermore LRH knew and intended for this to function this way !

Quotes from L Ron Hubbard on the Confusion Technique:
Now, if it comes to a pass where it's very important whether or not this person acts or inacts as you wish, in interpersonal relations one of the dirtier tricks is to hang the person up on a maybe and create a confusion. And then create the confusion to the degree that your decision actually is implanted hypnotically.
The way you do this is very simple. When the person advances an argument against your decision, you never confront his argument but confront the premise on which his argument is based. That is the rule. He says, "But my professor always said that water boiled at 212 degrees."
You say, "Your professor of what?"
"My professor of physics."
"What school? How did he know?" Completely off track! You're no longer arguing about whether or not water boils at 212 degrees, but you're arguing about professors. And he will become very annoyed, but he won't know quite what he is annoyed about. You can do this so adroitly and so artfully that you can actually produce a confusion of the depth of hypnosis. The person simply goes down tone scale to a point where they're not sure of their own name.
And at that point you say, "Now, you do agree to go out and draw the water out of the well, don't you?"
"Yes-anything!" And he'll go out and draw the water out of the well.
[End Quote]
L. Ron Hubbard Lecture, 20 May 1952 "Decision."

Also, even earlier, in 1950:
One error, however, must be remarked upon. The examination system employed is not much different from a certain hypnotic technique. One induces a state of confusion in the subject by raising his anxieties of what may happen if he does not pass. One then "teaches" at a mind which is anxious and confused. That mind does not then rationalize, it merely records and makes a pattern. If the pattern is sufficiently strong to be regurgitated verbatim on an examination paper, the student is then given a good grade and passed.
[End Quote]
L. Ron Hubbard lecture 29 August 1950, "Educational Dianetics."

mockingbird

He also knew that when one is confused they can feel relief ( i.e. brighter TEMPORARILY ) when they get an " answer " , even if it doesn't address the confusion!

A confusion can be defined as any set of factors or circumstances which do not seem to have any immediate solution. More broadly, a confusion is random motion.
Until one selects one datum, one factor, one particular in a confusion of particles, the confusion continues. The one thing selected and used becomes the stable datum for the remainder.
“Any body of knowledge, more particularly and exactly, is built from one datum. That is its stable datum. Invalidate it and the entire body of knowledge falls apart. A stable datum does not have to be the correct one. It is simply the one that keeps things from being in a confusion and on which others are aligned.” – L. Ron Hubbard [ref]

mockingbird

But I believe over the long term this can cause cognitive distorions .

So when studying a scientologist is hunting for BTSP , which method to use to address which BTSP , and by " clearing " the REPETETIVE loaded language from LRH and many small common words , English words , and unusual words they are " learning " to have a larger , more nuanced vocabulary which SEEMS to prove the usefulness of the "tech ", because after all a person and others can PERCEIVE improvements in grammar and expression, and comprehension of English.

I believe that demoing and looking for a skipped gradient is also a kind of witch hunt (for red herrings ) that helps regress a person's mind into a more trusting childlike state.

I contend that " studying " LRH doctrine with repetitive loaded language and many subtle rhetorical tricks , like logical fallacies , ( INTENTIONALLY placed in the materials ) while in a hypnotic state can result in cognitive restructuring , done in hypnosis WITHOUT one's consent or knowledge!

Further , this can generate cognitive dissonance and tremendous STRESS , as a person may know SOMETHING is happening , that doesn't FEEL right, but LRH " explains " what is happening , why it's happening and how to resolve it !

With more BTS tech !

So to elaborate I propose BTS tech is a compound (combined ) method of mind control. Just as hypnoanalysis combines hypnosis and psyochanalysis.
In BTS you have hypnosis ( which can have varying degrees of effectiveness on different individuals, some not affecting at all , HELPING to hide hypnosis as when it doesn't work it creates the illusion that those it does effect " chose " to cooperate , when in fact their mind is compromised as their critical and independent thinking is reduced , or shut off , and they are in a deeply trusting childlike state; disarmed for a battle of wits ! )

You also have ENFORCED cognitive restructuring ; which I believe in a hypnotic forced form causes TREMENDOUS stress.

The person's thoughts , emotions and behavior are rebuilt to reflect LRH's doctrine and progressively to some degree his personality , as it's expressed in the doctrine!

So as they robotically intake the doctrine establishing (sometimes ) a semi-permanent light hypnotic trance, they also can change so the trance deepens whenever " studying " or learning ,reading or even THINKING with LRH's doctrine.

Being hypnotized can make one more suggestible for future hypnosis.

The student also " learns " many new definitions , words , rules of grammar , fine distinctions between synonyms etc. making it appear they are getting " gains " and feeling "brighter " BUT at a terrible tradeoff !

They SIMULTANEOUSLY are self-hypnotizing , cognitively restructuring ( unknowingly ), forced to think , feel , and act like LRH doctrine , and learning a new "education" , replacing their old with a COMBINATION of lrh's loaded language and a lot of English.

The result can be a super-high vocabulary ( verbose ) person blindly following scientology, bluntly a nitwit lacking the power of direct observation and utterly devoid of common sense , gullibly believing ANYTHING labeled LRH !

This can result in a deluded (fooled ) solipsistic(believing only what's in one's own thoughts, despite obvious contradictions ,or ANY evidence to the contrary ) follower.

This is a "successful " student of " study Tech " .

Bluntly LRH knew that if he defined hypnosis as something else , and got people to do the steps to hypnotize they would hypnotize themselves and others UNKNOWINGLY ! He used rhetorical tricks and misdirection to make this happen.

These methods worked sometimes on some people and when repeated and different methods are used and flanked and bolstered by other methods , their duration , frequency and effectiveness can be greatly increased.

He therefor redefined many phenomena and attributed them to BTS when in fact they have OTHER causes and PROPER handlings.

I'll now SHOW the BTSP and what I believe really causes them and the corresponding ( synonymous ) names they already have. I will put H next to hypnotic symptoms and S next to symptoms of stress.

I hope this illustrates what the effects are and the real causes as one uses BTS tech.

from lack of mass :
squashed H postural slump
bent H muscle relaxation
dead H lethargy
bored S low energy
exasperated S frustrated;easily agitated
headaches S stress headache
stomach that feels funny common stress symptom
dizzy S common stress symptom
eyes that hurt S or H symptom of BOTH

from too steep a gradient :

confusion H shows hypnosis
reelingness S overwhelmed;losing control

misunderstood word

blank H shows entering or leaving hypnotic states
washed out H attention focused
not there H intense concentration
nervous hysteria S anxiety
not remember reading H amnesia ; deep trance
giving up study S many other factors ; defense against stressful environment
leaving S many causes ; defense against stress

mockingbird

I further contend that the entire doctrine on " the ONLY reason a person gives up a study..." and the accompanying "cycle of an overt ' are likewise FALSE and methods to enforce staying and submitting to slavery in scientology as the ONLY accepted way to resolve a problem in scientology is MORE scientology !

You enslave yourself mentally with your own thoughts as long as you cooperate with scientology !

I hope Ive demonstrated clearly that BTS tech is a combined form of mind control that SIMULTANEOUSLY hypnotizes, cognitively restructures, replaces one's own thoughts with LRH doctrine and greatly alters vocabulary replacing it with LRH loaded language , and greatly improves and expands one's English vocabulary , masking the rest of what's happening to you !

The BTSP are used to both trigger and hide the method !

if LRH couldn't " explain '"the phenomena many would feel/notice them and leave , or at least question what's happening.

But because LHR " explains " and predicts the BTSP this both masks the mind control and makes LRH seem wise and learned about " education ', further pulling the wool over a student's eyes !

I know others have spoken/written on how LRH stole from Virginia Waddy and others BUT the BTS and BTSP as he presents them are a unique and especially well HIDDEN form of mind control.

Please let me know what you think of this thread , and if you feel it has merit PLEASE , PLEASE , PLEASE send others to read it!

I want this crime against humanity exposed and stopped !

thank you

Leland

Crusader
But I believe over the long term this can cause cognitive distorions .

So when studying a scientologist is hunting for BTSP , which method to use to address which BTSP , and by " clearing " the REPETETIVE loaded language from LRH and many small common words , English words , and unusual words they are " learning " to have a larger , more nuanced vocabulary which SEEMS to prove the usefulness of the "tech ", because after all a person and others can PERCEIVE improvements in grammar and expression, and comprehension of English.

I believe that demoing and looking for a skipped gradient is also a kind of witch hunt (for red herrings ) that helps regress a person's mind into a more trusting childlike state.

I contend that " studying " LRH doctrine with repetitive loaded language and many subtle rhetorical tricks , like logical fallacies , ( INTENTIONALLY placed in the materials ) while in a hypnotic state can result in cognitive restructuring , done in hypnosis WITHOUT one's consent or knowledge!

Further , this can generate cognitive dissonance and tremendous STRESS , as a person may know SOMETHING is happening , that doesn't FEEL right, but LRH " explains " what is happening , why it's happening and how to resolve it !

With more BTS tech !

So to elaborate I propose BTS tech is a compound (combined ) method of mind control. Just as hypnoanalysis combines hypnosis and psyochanalysis.
In BTS you have hypnosis ( which can have varying degrees of effectiveness on different individuals, some not affecting at all , HELPING to hide hypnosis as when it doesn't work it creates the illusion that those it does effect " chose " to cooperate , when in fact their mind is compromised as their critical and independent thinking is reduced , or shut off , and they are in a deeply trusting childlike state; disarmed for a battle of wits ! )

You also have ENFORCED cognitive restructuring ; which I believe in a hypnotic forced form causes TREMENDOUS stress.

The person's thoughts , emotions and behavior are rebuilt to reflect LRH's doctrine and progressively to some degree his personality , as it's expressed in the doctrine!

So as they robotically intake the doctrine establishing (sometimes ) a semi-permanent light hypnotic trance, they also can change so the trance deepens whenever " studying " or learning ,reading or even THINKING with LRH's doctrine.

Being hypnotized can make one more suggestible for future hypnosis.

The student also " learns " many new definitions , words , rules of grammar , fine distinctions between synonyms etc. making it appear they are getting " gains " and feeling "brighter " BUT at a terrible tradeoff !

They SIMULTANEOUSLY are self-hypnotizing , cognitively restructuring ( unknowingly ), forced to think , feel , and act like LRH doctrine , and learning a new "education" , replacing their old with a COMBINATION of lrh's loaded language and a lot of English.

The result can be a super-high vocabulary ( verbose ) person blindly following scientology, bluntly a nitwit lacking the power of direct observation and utterly devoid of common sense , gullibly believing ANYTHING labeled LRH !

This can result in a deluded (fooled ) solipsistic(believing only what's in one's own thoughts, despite obvious contradictions ,or ANY evidence to the contrary ) follower.

This is a "successful " student of " study Tech " .

Bluntly LRH knew that if he defined hypnosis as something else , and got people to do the steps to hypnotize they would hypnotize themselves and others UNKNOWINGLY ! He used rhetorical tricks and misdirection to make this happen.

These methods worked sometimes on some people and when repeated and different methods are used and flanked and bolstered by other methods , their duration , frequency and effectiveness can be greatly increased.

He therefor redefined many phenomena and attributed them to BTS when in fact they have OTHER causes and PROPER handlings.

I'll now SHOW the BTSP and what I believe really causes them and the corresponding ( synonymous ) names they already have. I will put H next to hypnotic symptoms and S next to symptoms of stress.

I hope this illustrates what the effects are and the real causes as one uses BTS tech.

from lack of mass :
squashed H postural slump
bent H muscle relaxation
dead H lethargy
bored S low energy
exasperated S frustrated;easily agitated
headaches S stress headache
stomach that feels funny common stress symptom
dizzy S common stress symptom
eyes that hurt S or H symptom of BOTH

from too steep a gradient :

confusion H shows hypnosis
reelingness S overwhelmed;losing control

misunderstood word

blank H shows entering or leaving hypnotic states
washed out H attention focused
not there H intense concentration
nervous hysteria S anxiety
not remember reading H amnesia ; deep trance
giving up study S many other factors ; defense against stressful environment
leaving S many causes ; defense against stress

Great thread and can see you've put lots of work into it. Thanks. I have missed what "H" and "S" are....can you just post what these refer to please.

Terril park

Sponsor
Okay this post is intended to clear up and expand on my earlier thread THE BLACK HEART OF DIANETICS AND SCIENTOLOGY;THE BLACK HEART OF L RON HUBBARD.

I intend here to address and explain the Barriers to Study (BTS ), the " tech " to handle them, and the accompanying phenomena ( BTSP ) and their true meaning and purpose. I will attempt to show how the BTS and BTSP are a form of coercive persuasion (mind control).

I know this is an extreme assertion and will attempt to clearly lay out my case , bit by bit , and just ask that you PLEASE objectively LOOK at what I'm saying and see if it could be or is true .

I've spent much time handling study problems in CO$ and the FZ. With 100%
success. Almost all via M3. There is one here who did even better.

JustSheila

Crusader
Mockingbird, Terril is an FSM for the Freezone and always talks about Scn successes. :eyeroll: He's a nice guy, but don't feel you need to change anything you say or do on his account. There are some who will never stop believing. That doesn't mean they are bad people, but it doesn't mean you have to be influenced by them, either, or don't hold your ground.

Please continue. You're doing just fine.:yes:

cleared cannibal

Could this be the reason I basically refused to do courses? I am talking about the higher level courses and training. The low level introductory courses actually seemed pretty good to me. Look at my thread "Long time lurker " under new members at your convenience. I made the statement that I felt one had to do the courses in order to be totally taken in by the cult. Did I somehow intuitively know this? Just asking

Kemist

Patron with Honors
That's a very interesting take on "study tech".

I had a similar train of thought on it from another POV. I had to study for a worker's safety and health class recently and came across the description of a little known cause of work-related mental illness, work underload.

Work underload happens when being asked to do tasks which demand a high degree of concentration while having a very low degree of complexity. This is known to cause mental exhaustion and depression among workers.

To me, having to search endlessly for words in dictionaries for hours fits neatly with that definition. It stands to reason that, done for hours on end, it would cause a certain amount of stress and mental exhaustion. Add to this the enormous amounts of incoherent data from word chains that swamps one's mind, and you have the recipe for getting someone to accept anything, just to be left alone and go to sleep.

GreyLensman

That's a very interesting take on "study tech".

I had a similar train of thought on it from another POV. I had to study for a worker's safety and health class recently and came across the description of a little known cause of work-related mental illness, work underload.

Work underload happens when being asked to do tasks which demand a high degree of concentration while having a very low degree of complexity. This is known to cause mental exhaustion and depression among workers.

To me, having to search endlessly for words in dictionaries for hours fits neatly with that definition. It stands to reason that, done for hours on end, it would cause a certain amount of stress and mental exhaustion. Add to this the enormous amounts of incoherent data from word chains that swamps one's mind, and you have the recipe for getting someone to accept anything, just to be left alone and go to sleep.

I think this describes word clearing exactly. In study in a Scientological courseroom you the student are never allowed to evaluate for yourself what's going on - you can't read something and hit a confusion on it and then work for yourself to resolve that confusion. If you worked for yourself to resolve that confusion, you might realize that this writer, Hubbard, was talking in circles and completely out of his ass. But instead of having any control over your own comprehension, you are immediately asked what's going on, and handled. Simple small actions that distract away from the confusion and provide an apparent resolution...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

The source of the problem is not looking up the word that one (possibly) misunderstands until one gets it, but the insane directive that you have to clear all the OTHER definitions (etc) at the same time.

Unending word chains come from a mixture of this, and using too complex a dictionary.

Paul

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
The source of the problem is not looking up the word that one (possibly) misunderstands until one gets it, but the insane directive that you have to clear all the OTHER definitions (etc) at the same time.

Unending word chains come from a mixture of this, and using too complex a dictionary.

Paul

Exactly. I remember having to wordclear "drill" once and finding out that apart from the other, relevant meanings, a drill is a type of shellfish :)

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Paul

Pure insanity.

Seriously, even with my implacably cynical view of Hubbard, it is very difficult for me to imagine that he actually ordered that. Besides contradicting the rest of study tech (e.g. evaluation of importances, et al) it makes about as much sense as word-clearing the name of the dictionary and studying the entire history of the publisher and their usage panel protocols.

It reminds me of the time when (around '72) another HCOB required that the student must "constantly" be using their demo kit. I happened to be training on Ron's boat and the supervisors were demonic in enforcing that utter madness. I was interrupted during a taped lecture the first time and given a pink sheet to restudy the bulletin. Twenty minutes later the Apollo-trained Class VIII course supervisor angrily turned off my Wollensak and slapped another pink sheet down that bitterly decried that I was simply "fiddling" with the demo kit pieces as I listened, not actually demoing out each concept. Because, the bullet said that the demo kit was to be used 'constantly", right? LOL

Then, that KSW fire-breathing standard supervisor proceeded to threaten me by saying that I had been "warned twice now" and the next instance of "not using the demo kit constantly" was going to be met with an instant trip to the ship's MAA for "refusing to apply Ron's study tech".

Yes, Scientology and Scientologists ARE that insane.

ps: on the insanity of having to look up every definition of a word, imagine a student (a new Sea Org recruit) is studying the Flag Order that forbids watching or owning a TV set. And (even though they only had 3 hours sleep average for the the past several days) they yawned on course. The student would insist that they don't have any MU, but the "unreasonable" supervisor would not be reasonable but, instead, "attack" them for being a day behind "checksheet time" for expected completion. Then, the supervisor would jump all over them to look for their MU--after detecting a slight "com lag" on spitting out the definition for the word "set" (TV set). The student would be ordered to "clear" the word. This ingenious study tech is what would handle both the yawn AND the not completing the course in checksheet time, right? All 439 definitions of the word 'set', comprised of a "60,000-word definition spread over 24 pages of tiny print". Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-longest-definition-in-the-dictionary-2013-9#ixzz36nTOdOrI

Last edited:

Reasonable

I think the people who got hurt the most from Scientology were the people who followed the rules blindly. I love study tech. BUT NOT ALL OF IT. I use what I find useful. I study so much better since taking the student hat. It was one of the good things that happened to me in Scientology.

Here is why id did not screw me up.

1) I apply it within reason. It was the first course I had ever taken that got me to look up words. So simple yet none of my teachers in school ever told me how critical that is. If I got into a word chain I would simply stop. I knew when I understood enough to move on. I thought star rates and M9 was overkill. Sure I did it to get through the course but I didn’t use it after.
2) I think that making demos was great and I still use it. I always draw things out.
3) I really like the idea of the gradient and looking back to where I was doing well and finding out what went wrong there.

This was and is to me very useful. Of course Hubbard used it for evil as well. The idea that if you didn’t agree with him then that means that you didn’t understand him which then means that you have a misunderstood word, is crazy. I think that Hubbard can really screw up a person who is a rule follower by nature.

I would do what I found useful and that is about it. So if I was reading and then yawned. I would simply suppress the yawn and keep going unless I thought that I did not really understand something. I would simply use the basic 3 rules in any way I needed until I felt that I understood the material. This idea of finding an MU 17 pages back and re studying from there was ridiculous.

Some people are too honest they feel that if the book says look up your word if you yawn then they will sit there for days looking for the word and get into word chains then feel stupid because they can not read more than 3 pages an hour.

I think these were the people Hubbards was looking for. He loves these types. Ultra obedient rule followers. People who do not have enough self confidence to follow their own convictions. When I study, I know if I got it or not. Some people need to follow the recipe mechanically, that is disaster in any field of study.

Hubbard is a master of manipulation. On one hand he says to listen to your own council, but if you do not agree with him you have a misunderstood word. I think that type of polar opposite dogma keeps a person confused and trapped.

But that was always Hubbards trick. Find something good ( basic ethics from Non E to Power were helpful for me in certain areas) and use it as bait, then stick all his mind control crap (Lower conditions, assigning conditions etc) to it so that he can use it to manipulate you. Isolate you from people who would tell you otherwise.

I just think that if you stick to the 3 basics of study tech it is helpful. At least it is for me.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Some people are too honest they feel that if the book says look up your word if you yawn then they will sit there for days looking for the word and get into word chains then feel stupid because they can not read more than 3 pages an hour.

I sup'd for 10 years. It seems to me that the yawn generally indicates that one is trying to understand something, i.e., usually one is in the middle of working something out and for the sup to intervene at that point is often redundant at best. Later, if the student doesn't look like he has worked it out and needs help, then yes.

I would sometimes have students happily study something I know they couldn't possibly have understood (because there wasn't enough information on the page to explain the point) and they were utterly unaware they didn't get it. They didn't yawn because it was so far over their heads that the lack of comprehension didn't impinge. Unless it was important (and there's a lot of irrelevant crap in Hubbard's works like the workings of a pipe organ in the study tapes and who gives a fuck about that?) I would let it slide.

Paul

Polly

Patron with Honors
Another thought on let's say on m9 clearing. At least for me anyway. When the person administering the m9 would reject my definition and me realizing that they did not understand what they were trying to get me to explain. Just a random thought.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
<snip> if you do not agree with him you have a misunderstood word. <snip>

Omigosh. A lightbulb just went off for me. I don't think I ever realized that first part.

Sooo..... you're reading along and there's something that makes you raise an eyebrow (or snort disgustedly...) but you are conditioned to "know" you would only disagree with something hubbard wrote if there was a word you misunderstood? And then you go back and look up long strings of words/definitions in the dictionary, the bulk of which have nothing to do with what you were reading in the first place? Are you effing kidding me??

deargodinheavenabove Mind numbing confusion and frustration.

Reason #76891 why I could never be a scientologist.

MB, I am loving these threads. They explain so much of what I observe. Thank you.

JustSheila

Crusader
I sup'd for 10 years. It seems to me that the yawn generally indicates that one is trying to understand something, i.e., usually one is in the middle of working something out and for the sup to intervene at that point is often redundant at best. Later, if the student doesn't look like he has worked it out and needs help, then yes.

I would sometimes have students happily study something I know they couldn't possibly have understood (because there wasn't enough information on the page to explain the point) and they were utterly unaware they didn't get it. They didn't yawn because it was so far over their heads that the lack of comprehension didn't impinge. Unless it was important (and there's a lot of irrelevant crap in Hubbard's works like the workings of a pipe organ in the study tapes and who gives a fuck about that?) I would let it slide.

Paul

Paul, I wonder how many of these "Barriers to Study" reactions occur simply because the students were trained to believe they would?

The phenomena is far less prevalent outside the Scn bubble.

Also, with the average attention span being 20 minutes or so, that's a pretty monstrous study barrier to not be mentioned.