What's new

Is there anything from Scientology you have found useful?

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
He is far from my fave sci fi writer, but I actually think some of his books were more than just average.

I'd agree with that — and also with Bill. Hubbard was no A-list writer in his day, no Asimov or Heinlein, and his stuff has aged even worse than theirs (and theirs hasn't aged well for me). But give even the devil his due. He wrote competent prose and he could spin an engaging yarn. I think he was average at best among modestly successful professional writers, but that did mean he could write much better than your average person.

Birdy,

If that's the only part you got out

I'd suggest you get the rest out, as well.

CoS and i don't mesh gears well

but...

i am an auditor

auditing and auditor training are good things

very, very, very good things

and prefontal lobotomy, transorbital leucotomy, ECT, coerced drugging with thorazine, haldol, stellarzine, pressing atheist materialist behaviourist practices on people of religious faith to "cure" them of their "delusion" etc are very, very, very bad things

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
If I mention to my auditor that Wolf Blitzer, from CNN is a good friend and neighbor, the auditor will note it.

The Case Supervisor will FORWARD the information to OSA

OSA will determine how best to USE this information and the connection.

And then the "Church" hides behind "priest-penitent" privilege.

All I hear from you are chirping crickets? Why is that? Really.

If I mention to my auditor that Wolf Blitzer, from CNN is a good friend and neighbor, the auditor will note it.

The Case Supervisor will FORWARD the information to OSA

OSA will determine how best to USE this information and the connection.

And then the "Church" hides behind "priest-penitent" privilege.

All I hear from you are chirping crickets? Why is that? Really.

i say again...

CoS and i don't mesh gears well

auditing and auditor training are good things

and...

i am an auditor

also,

if all you hear is chirping crickets you are not reading my posts

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Interesting! I never knew gomorrhan and uniquemand were the same guy.
I remember when gomorrhan bid adieu back in 2008. Here's gomorrhan's last post dated October 20 2008 and 9:37pm:

Then 32 minutes later on the same date, October 20, 2008 at 10:12pm is uniquemand's first post!
First he says he's returning to the ranks of the Lurkers and going about a new phase in his life, etc. then a half hour later he's posting as a new identity.

What's that all about??? I'm confused.

Maybe he'll explain later if he comes back after him ban.

Truth: as Gomorrhan, I felt I had attracted a group of people who agreed with me and those that disagreed, and positions were too entrenched to change, particularly with regard to my stating them or not.

I came back as Uniquemand with the intention of discovering if I ended up with the same people "on my side" or "opposed" as before. I found I got a totally different reception of the same points of view as Uniquemand.

At any rate, I'm very open about that stuff. I am, in fact, back, and have been, as you note, since almost immediately.

I take breaks from time to time (some generated by mods, others self-induced).

I apologize for the earlier tirades. I got pissed off about what I thought was selective enforcement, and it became a "bone to pick" for a while. It's no longer an issue, for me.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious
I used to think, 'oh, but study tech has helped me, and maybe the PR series is useful...'

However, looking up words wasn't discovered by Hubbard. He just stole the idea.

And the PR Series hasn't really made a positive impact on, well, much of anything. I had to laugh when I heard the C of S hires an external PR firm. There goes your proof as far as effectiveness of Hubbard's PR crap.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Sure, some things.

I think his ideas about theta, the tone scale, the ARC triangle, overts and witholds...lot of truth there. But it's also intertwined with a lot of falsehood. Tricky.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sure, some things.

I think his ideas about theta, the tone scale, the ARC triangle, overts and witholds...lot of truth there. But it's also intertwined with a lot of falsehood. Tricky.
In my opinion, it's only "tricky" if you believe that these concepts are unique to Hubbard's words and are not easily available elsewhere - using, of course, other words. If you believe that, then you have the daunting task of going through tons of garbage trying to find the few nuggets of wisdom.

There have been many discussions here and elsewhere about how the few actually valuable items in Hubbard's spew were developed elsewhere and Hubbard just used his "special" words to describe things already well known before then.

The way to avoid wading through Hubbard's spew is to look elsewhere for good information without the cult indoctrination attached.

In other words, all of Hubbard's spew could be lost forever and nothing of value would be lost.

IMHO

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
In my opinion, it's only "tricky" if you believe that these concepts are unique to Hubbard's words and are not easily available elsewhere - using, of course, other words. If you believe that, then you have the daunting task of going through tons of garbage trying to find the few nuggets of wisdom.

There have been many discussions here and elsewhere about how the few actually valuable items in Hubbard's spew were developed elsewhere and Hubbard just used his "special" words to describe things already well known before then.

The way to avoid wading through Hubbard's spew is to look elsewhere for good information without the cult indoctrination attached.

In other words, all of Hubbard's spew could be lost forever and nothing of value would be lost.

IMHO

I've never had to wade or sort. I studied the stuff back when I was in, like the rest of the exes, I'm sure. I know which things strike me as good, bad, stupid or whatnot. When I was in, I believed all of it, at first. Of course, that's all changed now.

I guess by "tricky" , I meant that there are possible pitfalls if one were to approach it for the first time.

I experienced pitfalls, but those are behind me. Mine were the lies that kept me on the hook as a staff member-god, so much bullshit and betrayal. I'd like to go back in time and really give the ED a ration of shit.

I know my own mind, belief wise, but I may never forgive myself for letting them treat me and treat John like they did.

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron

IMHO

The entire house of cards falls on such a simple truth, such is a house built upon hubris :coolwink:

Thank ya Bill well and entirely said Sir :thumbsup:

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
This thread has reminded me of a conversation I had with another ex-scientologist a few years ago.

Even though he had left the cult he still believed most of what Hubbard had written and he still used to avidly listen to Hubbard's taped lectures.

This guy told me that he'd had a conversation with some other "guru" he'd met and who had quite a following in the UK.

My friend, wishing to impress this guru with his knowledge of spiritual matters, started a conversation with the statement: "Ok, let's get down to basics. So there are three universes right?". (He was referring to something Hubbard said about the mest universe, theta universe and something else I've forgotten).

This "guru" looked puzzled and said: "No".

That was the end of the conversation.

When he was telling me this, my friend said: "He didn't even know there are three universes!"

I haven't seen him for a few years now and I wonder if he still thinks he got something useful from Hubbard.:roflmao:

sanity8

I have found many of the Ex-Scientologists to be useful, as well as entertaining, lovable and occassionally infuriating.

Zinj

Scientology as a church has been sabotaged as you know, it's work in progress as we all know, the administration needs to be straightened up, not based on a space management system.also church members need a lesson in true friendship and learn the ability to accept all viewpoints, instead of forced positives. A complete inability to communicate about anything indicates the lack of freedom and suppression still in existence.