JustSheila

Crusader
:D
I think you are onto something sistah!

Sociology here!
The positive power of the flock
You know when under attack the pinguins do that

:grouphug:

Human beings can also add a good laughter to a great load of negativity..it litteraly eats it.

;)
Yeh! I sure miss HelluvaHoax.

Hmmm... he hit "winner" on one of the posts... maybe he'll be sharing some laughter with us soon????

Hey :announcement: @HelluvaHoax!

We're ready to laugh anytime you want to get back onto your thread!!!!!!

Sure miss ya, HH.

https%3A%2F%2Fak.imgag.com%2Fproduct%2Fflash%2F3131025%2Fmaster.jpg

Oh look, HH, someone else left you an I Miss you card, too. I think it might have been Alanzo:

funny-i-miss-you-meme.jpg

:roflmao:

Free Being Me

Crusader
View attachment 15651
Shifting the focus without giving a rats clacker (is that the proper use of "rats clacker"?): a beautiful White-Faced Heron I quietly watched yesterday. The world can be such a breath-taking beautiful place. :)
:roflmao: :grouphug:

:laugh: Well, ya know, maybe individual people actually don't enjoy a constant diet of negativity. Funny that. :coolwink:

As Spock said to Captain Kirk when they landed on a planet and the god Apollo invited everyone to live in paradise on Mt Olympus except poor Spock:

"Insults are only effective when emotions are involved."

:biggrin:
You both win the interwebs for the day with your posts and honorable mentions to T4 and Lotus too. Lets enjoy some joie de vivre and good cheer.

I enjoy cooking so I'd like share one of my favorite dessert recipes.

Raw Apple Cake

Ingredients:
4 cups apples
2 cups sugar (1 1/2 cups white sugar-1/2 cup brown sugar)
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (see note)

Optional frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 -2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
Directions:
Note: For enough nuts for the cake and to sprinkle on the cream cheese frosting, measure a generous 2 cups of nuts into a large baking pan.
Toast at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, checking every couple of minutes after 5 and shaking the nuts around.
When walnuts are cool, chop a scant 1/2 cup finely for the frosting and coarsely chop the remaining nuts for the cake.

If oven is not preheated from toasting nuts, preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch cake pan.
Combine apples and sugar in one bowl.
Let sit for 20 minutes so apples get juicy.
This is not a crucial step, but it does add to the cake's wonderful chewy texture.
Combine eggs and oil and mix well.
Combine rest of ingredients by hand, then add the egg and oil mixture and mix well.
Add the apple mixture.
The mixture will be very thick.
Pour and press into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven when only moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted in center.
This is a moist cake-don't overbake.
Allow to cool on rack.
When cake is cool, frost with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with the finely chopped nuts.

To prepare frosting:
Allow cream cheese and butter to soften a room temperature.
Beat with a mixer until well blended.
Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
Add vanilla and mix well.
Adjust to spreadable consistency with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
The cake stands well on its own; however a sifting of powdered sugar looks nice if you don't care for naked cake.
Unfrosted cake is good with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If not frosted with cream cheese frosting, which requires refrigeration, cake keeps well at room temperature for a weekend.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Come on Hoaxyboy...
We need some laughing therapy here.

You know KEL
Keeping ESMB laughing policy???

Also you never had any LOA authorized???
So either you report here..either we send a few ESMB osa dogs after you! I am not kidding here!
(We already have some pics....)

:swear:

Glenda

Crusader
Thanks @Free Being Me. Yay. A recipe sharing thread. I am always on the look out for good recipes, to bake, to share at the sewing bees I go to. A bunch of us get together, loaded up with our sewing machines and home baking, and sew bags for a few hours. These gatherings are high on joy and laughter. We call it "joyful participation". People pop in to have a cuppa and a piece of cake. The biggest moments are when a newbie finishes sewing their very first bag. We clap and cheer and laugh. It is truly friggin' wonderful stuff.

So thanks for the recipe.

Glenda

Crusader
Come on Hoaxyboy...
We need some laughing therapy here.

You know KEL
Keeping ESMB laughing policy???

Also you never had any LOA authorized???
So either you report here..either we send a few ESMB osa dogs after you! I am not joking here!

:swear:
Don't make us saddle up the ponies HH to come and find you.

Lotus, get the saddles out. We got work to do. :)

Free Being Me

Crusader
Thanks @Free Being Me. Yay. A recipe sharing thread. I am always on the look out for good recipes, to bake, to share at the sewing bees I go to. A bunch of us get together, loaded up with our sewing machines and home baking, and sew bags for a few hours. These gatherings are high on joy and laughter. We call it "joyful participation". People pop in to have a cuppa and a piece of cake. The biggest moments are when a newbie finishes sewing their very first bag. We clap and cheer and laugh. It is truly friggin' wonderful stuff.

So thanks for the recipe.
You're very welcome. Raw apple cake is one of my favorite hands down all time desserts. I make it on special occasions or when I'm going to cook a nice dinner for guests. Give it a try and enjoy! Your friends will like it too.

Free Being Me

Crusader
@Free Being Me

Thanks! :cheers:

GREAT recipe and good timing! I'll bake it tomorrow for the elderly woman I am caring for then. She has everything but the cream cheese so I'll pick that up.
That's very nice of you! I hope you and her have fun savoring a delicious dessert. If you like a good dollop of ice cream works too if you don't want to make the frosting.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
You're very welcome. Raw apple cake is one of my favorite hands down all time desserts. I make it on special occasions or when I'm going to cook a nice dinner for guests. Give it a try and enjoy! Your friends will like it too.
Oh that's such a nice invitation!
When exactly?
:batseyelashes:

Free Being Me

Crusader
Oh that's such a nice invitation!
When exactly?
:batseyelashes:
I'm sending my private Lear jet to Europe this very minute. Look for a jet with the words "Raw Apple Cake Express" painted on the fuselage. I hope you don't mind but it will be picking up other Ex's too so be prepared for a global flight.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Does anyone from the OCMB days remember this classic thread when Jeffrey Augustine was totally outed as a manipulative internet troll on OCMB?

what is Swifty's Game.png

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I see you took the time to write out a thoughtful and carefully worded response to my very first post on this forum. Well done.
Hi and welcome!
FYI,

I didn' t see the post, but in the event you would have been insulted by anyone here , there is a "report" link on the post so you can report it to the admin who shall act upon it to ensure you enjoy a peaceful surfing on the board, and that you can speak your mind.
The administration set a rule here which is
" be nice to newbies" ; that should ensure a soft landing.

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I am actually setting a recovery crew...
Hoaxy, It has come to my attention that you are presently checking at LA international airport. A blow drill will be launched and it will be freaking terrifying...this is a last warning

In the event you don't take it seriously HH
A friend of mine owe me some favors for my last 8 years of volunteer duty on ESMB, and here are the people he will appoint to this blow drill.

And don't even think they are fanatic creepy Cultists. Oh no! They are religious volunteer ministers of a minority religion; they carry deep religious beliefs and they won't let you fall in the darkness, on this planet for the next billion of years. Get it????
(*Tone 40 impingement)
Get a life right here, right now!!

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
You both win the interwebs for the day with your posts and honorable mentions to T4 and Lotus too. Lets enjoy some joie de vivre and good cheer.

I enjoy cooking so I'd like share one of my favorite dessert recipes.

Raw Apple Cake

Ingredients:
4 cups apples
2 cups sugar (1 1/2 cups white sugar-1/2 cup brown sugar)
3/4 cup oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (see note)

Optional frosting:
3 ounces cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 -2 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
Directions:
Note: For enough nuts for the cake and to sprinkle on the cream cheese frosting, measure a generous 2 cups of nuts into a large baking pan.
Toast at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, checking every couple of minutes after 5 and shaking the nuts around.
When walnuts are cool, chop a scant 1/2 cup finely for the frosting and coarsely chop the remaining nuts for the cake.

If oven is not preheated from toasting nuts, preheat oven to 350.
Grease and flour a 9 by 13 inch cake pan.
Combine apples and sugar in one bowl.
Let sit for 20 minutes so apples get juicy.
This is not a crucial step, but it does add to the cake's wonderful chewy texture.
Combine eggs and oil and mix well.
Combine rest of ingredients by hand, then add the egg and oil mixture and mix well.
Add the apple mixture.
The mixture will be very thick.
Pour and press into the prepared pan.
Bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven when only moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted in center.
This is a moist cake-don't overbake.
Allow to cool on rack.
When cake is cool, frost with cream cheese frosting, and sprinkle with the finely chopped nuts.

To prepare frosting:
Allow cream cheese and butter to soften a room temperature.
Beat with a mixer until well blended.
Slowly beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
Add vanilla and mix well.
Adjust to spreadable consistency with milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
The cake stands well on its own; however a sifting of powdered sugar looks nice if you don't care for naked cake.
Unfrosted cake is good with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
If not frosted with cream cheese frosting, which requires refrigeration, cake keeps well at room temperature for a weekend.
@Free Being Me

Hi FBM,

So I made the cake today. :) Once I started it, I realized there were a couple of details missing, but I filled in as best I could.

The flavor was amazing. Not too sweet and just heavenly, chock full of apples. :drool: I used honeycrisp apples - they are in season now and worked out great. The recipe is an absolutely perfect balance, a real masterpiece and the best apple cake I've ever tasted. Thanks!

The frosting was also perfect. What a nice, simple frosting. It would also work well with carrot cake and it would be easy to put more cream cheese and less sugar to suit taste if someone wants a more creamcheesy flavor.

The problem I had is you didn't specify whether the apples should be chopped coarse, medium, fine, blended, folded in the middle, or what. So I chopped them coarse. That didn't work that well. The cake came out beautifully, but the cake and apples didn't hold together so the slice fell apart. It wasn't pretty, but still perfectly cooked and tasted great. I covered it with ice cream for the lady. :coolwink: She ate every last bite, and she's been quite the proficient cook from scratch southern baker all her life, so that was a super big compliment that she ate it all. Thanks! :biggrin:

SO - How are the apples supposed to be prepared?? Chopped fine, I suppose?

When I roasted walnuts in the oven, I patted them with oil first, btw. IMO, roasted nuts come out much better when they have oil on them. More toasty. These were exceptionally nice because they were actually saved frozen fresh from the lady's friend's walnut picking adventure. :)

Also, there's an error in the recipe. The dough is only thick until you add in the apple mixture, not after. After that, it's not thick at all.

x x x

Sheila

Last edited: