What's new

A visit from a private investigator has us wondering if Scientology is behind it

RSS Feed

RSS Feeder Bot
There is a new post up at the Underground Bunker

A visit from a private investigator has us wondering if Scientology is behind it

[Rebecca Dobkin]

Jeffrey Augustine had an odd visitor last week, and we asked him to tell us about it…

On Wednesday, a woman dropped by our house in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Los Feliz and asked to speak to my wife, Karen de la Carriere. Karen was busy, so I talked to her.

She [...]

[Rebecca Dobkin]

Jeffrey Augustine had an odd[.......]

Continue reading...

Leland

Crusader
That is very ballsy to send and investigator to Carriere's house.....WTF!?

The Attorney shouldn't have done that!

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
That is very ballsy to send and investigator to Carriere's house.....WTF!?

The Attorney shouldn't have done that!
IMHO it's simply an ostentatious fishing expedition. They need the investor (asthmatic dwarf) to notice that her precious little highly paid peons are making noise in the world in the direction she desired. The little bitch.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Somehow I doubt this PI knows what she is dealing with. It seems too forward to be a classic fair gaming and they have to know they aren't going to get cooperation. My take on this is that it is a desperate flushing action to provoke chatter, interaction, or reaction that will out the leak.

You just know libs are cancelled and sec-checks are being ordered all around. Sooo glad I'm outta there!

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
From the article
She claimed that Heber had been thrown into the back of a police car during the welfare check, which I found hard to believe. Law enforcement officers checking on an 82-year-old’s welfare aren’t likely to treat them like a dangerous criminal.
Actually, (except for the "thrown" part) this sounds likely to me. The police would want to chat with the person privately, away from anyone who might be threatening him or exerting undue influence, in an environment where the person could see that, yes, these are real police, and it would be safe for him to tell them "I wish to leave, please take me somewhere safe".

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
Somehow I doubt this PI knows what she is dealing with. It seems too forward to be a classic fair gaming and they have to know they aren't going to get cooperation. My take on this is that it is a desperate flushing action to provoke chatter, interaction, or reaction that will out the leak.

You just know libs are cancelled and sec-checks are being ordered all around. Sooo glad I'm outta there!
She's just drawing a paycheck. And she gets to look at herself in the mirror and ... whatever.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
She's just drawing a paycheck. And she gets to look at herself in the mirror and ... whatever.
Yes, but may be time to have the phones and computers checked to see if they have been hacked and if the place is bugged or someone's using parabolics. I could see where they would try to put something in place like that then send someone in to just stir things up.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Yes, but may be time to have the phones and computers checked to see if they have been hacked and if the place is bugged or someone's using parabolics. I could see where they would try to put something in place like that then send someone in to just stir things up.
That's a point. If they have somebody able to access your phone billing records (not a wiretap, just your billing record), they would rattle her cage to see who she calls immediately afterwards.

screamer2

Idiot Bastardson
What scum these $cientologist clams are. That we are even considering talking about this level of degenerative bullshit as even a remote possibility in the real world is indicative of vast moral turpitude on the part of the clams.

But I already knew that from first hand experience.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's a point. If they have somebody able to access your phone billing records (not a wiretap, just your billing record), they would rattle her cage to see who she calls immediately afterwards.
You're right. A lot can be learned without getting so exotic.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
What scum these $cientologist clams are. That we are even considering talking about this level of degenerative bullshit as even a remote possibility in the real world is indicative of vast moral turpitude on the part of the clams.

But I already knew that from first hand experience.
If we figure how many millions they have spent on surveillance, fair gaming and court settlements over high profile people who can potentially cause a lot of trouble like Heber, I wouldn't put anything past them. And the sophisticated equipment is so readily available to the kinds of people they would hire to do this now. Just the information collected by Google is outrageous. If I were OSA I would definitely try to get someone inside Google and the phone companies. If they spent upwards of 12 million to surveil Pat Broeker long after he was gone, imagine what they would spend and what they would do to prevent information about Heber coming out.

https://tonyortega.org/2012/11/29/scientologys-master-spies/

(snipped)

But more than an employment dispute, the lawsuit was remarkable for several reasons. Scientology is known for using private investigators to keep tabs on former members and journalists. But this assignment was special — only a handful of church executives knew anything about Marrick and Arnold and their work, Rathbun said. The sums were stunning: between $10 and 12 million, much of it paid in cash, to watch only one man. Investigators don’t usually sue the church, and Miscavige is rarely named as a defendant. And the venue — a small county on the Texas Coastal Bend — was an unlikely place for a court fight that threatened to ensnare two men rarely or never seen in public: Miscavige, and the man he wrested control of the church from, Pat Broeker. The unusual case was garnering national and international attention.

(snipped)

According to Jeffrey, Marrick and Arnold were getting paid annually about $250,000 each over the life of the project. But out of that money, they say, they had to pay all of the operation’s expenses — flights, rental houses, rental cars, teams of other investigators, sanitation workers, and many informants.
“We’re not wealthy, by any means,” Arnold insists.
In 1988, they had formed a partnership, Select Investigations (they incorporated in October, 1991). They received cashier’s checks — about $40,000 each month, divided into checks that were always under $10,000 each, for tax reasons — through 2001.
But Marrick and Arnold were traveling so much in the job, they were having a hard time getting the checks deposited. Marrick says their solution was to open a new account at a Los Angeles bank, and then take a stack of deposit slips to the church, asking them to deposit their pay.
From 2001 to 2007, the church did just that, and Marrick recently confirmed with his banker that during that time, the church deposited their pay in cash — about $40,000 a month, all in greenbacks.

(snipped)