ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Andrew Morton's book: Has anyone read it?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Lulu Belle, Jan 22, 2008.

View Users: View Users
  1. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through the book.

Anyone else read it, or is anyone currently reading it?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

2. chipgallo

chipgallo Patron Meritorious

I finished it this past Sunday. Some thoughts:

• TC isn't gay, if you believe what Morton asserts on this topic
    • DM/Scientology have placed all their eggs in the Cruise Basket
    • Nicole got steamrolled in the divorce by the DM/TC juggernaut
    • Politicians listen to celebrities because of the celeb's status not subject matter knowledge (I know, big whoop) and this is a Bad Thing.
    Many of the book's so-called revelations were already known to me by reading various critic accounts over the years. Presumably the anecdotes that were included in the book are legally defensible, fact checked with several sources, etc. In a few places there are imagined conversations that could have happened. These are clearly labeled as speculative. Die hard Cruise fans and Scientologists will probably disavow the biography immediately before reading. The guy doesn't seem to be a murderer or a rapist, just a cold blooded, calculating actor being manipulated and used to perpetuate a global scam.

Elsewhere it has already been noted that the unauthorized bio and the unauthorized release of the IAS clip are a powerful combination. I expect that the floodgates will burst open with new embarrassments in the future.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy Patron Meritorious

Since I can't buy the thing in the UK, I had to order via Amazon.com, and am still awaiting its arrival. Errg!

4. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

I'm a Cruise fan and a Scn'ist and as far as I'm concerned, this book may well comprise some interesting information.

I've ordered a copy and am very much looking forward to reading it.

5. OHTEEATE

OHTEEATE Silver Meritorious Patron

wife I/P

Donna is reading it. She says it makes TC look like another manipulated indoctrinated parishoner, and the CofS look very sinister and calculating. It is shredding the CofS in her words. I get it when she is done. Oh goodie. One highlight, details of just how many thousands of man hours go into the careful set up to get a new celeb in.

6. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

My copy arrived about an hour ago. Will start it tonight. Working at the moment, just stopping in to say hi and gloat and give DM and his legal pitbulls the finger.

7. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

I'm reading it (and I'm in it, I'm happy to say, as it's a brief mention of the medical abuse I experienced while "in"--Page 306). I'm always trying to alert
    people "in" that C of S's/Hubbard's tech of Medicine being something you don't need is BS. As I used to tell them: *YOU* Have a grand mal Seizure, and THEN come talk to me! :pullhair: :furious:

Anyways--I like the book. True, much of it we've read here and there, but I still find it very nice to read a story about ____ from start to finish, often with details I didn't know. :typing: :goodjob:

If you haven't ordered it, I suggest you do. Also, if you live it LA, it's for sale at Cosco here in Burbank, as of today, my GF said.

My best :)

Tory/Magoo~~

8. chipgallo

chipgallo Patron Meritorious

Yeah, Morton does a good job of stringing together details. He is (to me) surprisingly sympathetic toward Cruise except where it comes to his forgetting old friends quickly.

According to Amazon, it is also available as an audio book. Somebody should report on what the "abridged" version leaves out.

Hey Claire, I said that die hard Cruise fans/Scientologists would disavow the book, not that they wouldn't read it :)
    Of course, reading the Wall of Fire section could be an expensive few words if you are onlines and end up with a sec check and some repair auditing ...

9. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

Too funny, Chip. :) :happydance:

I do want to try to be objective when I read it. I heard that Morton talked to a lot of people who knew Cruise. And I do know that in any situation, any celeb or public figure is going to lie about anything he or she would have hidden, that they didn't want others to know. And I think Cruise has a lot to hide.

Acceptable truths and all that.

I am really looking forward to reading it.