What's new

Are you sure you want another story?

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
The help I asked for was....in a private conversation..... some communication from you. Answers/information from you, which only you have, so that I could understand......and you refused me that. Even though you said I deserved an explanation from you, you would never give me one. That was the help that I needed, but you could have cared less and still do. There is no more to say than that......except.....

If you ever find the courage, or the kindness in your heart, to talk about it, please let me know. I still have many unanswered questions.

I still lack the courage. My meager attempts to explain, you interpret as intentionally hurtful insults. My silence, you interpret as callousness. I do not know what to say or do. I made a mistake and hurt a good person. I'm sorry.

Despite all evidence that a man is a worthless pig, he must hold his head up and carry on as best he can. And that's what I've done. I speak well of you. I bear you no ill will. But I doubt I can ever satisfy your curiousity or your needs.

Megalomaniac

Silver Meritorious Patron
I met Good Twin!!

Megalomaniac's Current Events

Last week, I went to Florida on business. I ended up in St. Petersburg. I wanted to drop by Flag, but didn't have the time.

However, I finally met Patti! :happydance: We went kayaking and I tried to snorkel and we gossipped it up. :gathering:

Sorry for all you folks up in the northeast snowstorm. :eyeroll: If it's any consolation, I'm back in Oregon now, where wetsuits are pretty much required for snorkeling.

Later,
Mac

Attachments

• 2013_02_09_florida_mac_patti.jpg
    2013_02_09_florida_mac_patti.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 52

Techless

Patron Meritorious
"And other things started to just not sit well with me. The can squeeze seemed so arbitrary. I would often be called to hold the cans for a drill. "Squeeze the cans please". Ok, I'd do it. No, no, that wasn't right. "Increase the pressure until you have a light squeeze, then relax." I hardly ever could do it properly. During the relax phase, my joints would not smoothly relax. It would be a series of small jerks of my tendons sort of sticking at spots. Anyways, it was hard to do. And it was harder to do because how much is a light squeeze? There was no reference anyone showed me on this. And then they were looking for an exact third of a dial drop on the meter. How did they measure this? The auditor just looked at the meter. It was all so arbitrary. I started dreaming up ideas to improve this. There could be a standard amount of pressure. The cans could have pressure sensors. The meter could automatically adjust the sensitivity based on the pressure and the drop in resistance. It could all be done in one or two can squeezes. There would be no need to drill anything. The meter could do it all. How much training time could be saved? How much preclear time could be saved? I was coming up with great ideas -- totally squirrel :naughty: -- had to keep them to myself."

(just new to this thread and have gotten most of way thru it - Hi Mac!) YES, the 'can' thing! I think it is really one of the things that made me serious question anything that was going on tech-wise at least I'd also since gotten electronic engineering degree (mid 80s) and knew exactly what the darn things did - and definitely could NOT do. I don't think I ever had a session where 1/2 of it wasn't 'debugging' the squeeze. Was told it had something to do with metabolism...hmmm. I completely agree with your pressure sensor idea and it would all be handled right? Not that any hardcore Scio could ever think his own thought though.

I'd also, thought up the idea that one could design a device, to replicate frequencies of the tone-scale, and thus achieve the ability to get one to that frequency - especially since they are a physical/vibration experience or phenomena. Right? Funny how those actual 'frequencies', never appeared anywhere... Well, I was laughed off the very thought of that nonsense. Wasn't until I heard some Ron Lecture -whole track fun - many years later, when he said the exact same thing - regarding designing a device, bla, bla!! You'd think he would have, had he could have - cut through thousands of auditing hours eh?

But, in conclusion, don't think he knew much about electronics to begin with, or much of anything involving science, math, and physics, cause he would've used this knowledge to 'compliment' other things he was saying. That's what ANY scientist does! Just instead, tried to get everyone to believe that he was some genius along these lines.

I think the 'cans' were intimidated by me.

Great story so far Mac - very helpful to many I am sure. hope you keep going. Better than I, cause just the chronological part is too much for me to get around...

... I hardly ever could do it properly. ... The auditor just looked at the meter. ...

... I don't think I ever had a session where 1/2 of it wasn't 'debugging' the squeeze. ... ...

All of which was a complete violation of "what is a session" as well as a total waste of the pc's time. Auditing is about pc/auditor communication. Too often the emeter has been used as a crutch for those who don't actually pay attention to the pc.

... But, in conclusion, don't think he knew much about electronics to begin with, or much of anything involving science, math, and physics, cause he would've used this knowledge to 'compliment' other things he was saying. That's what ANY scientist does! Just instead, tried to get everyone to believe that he was some genius along these lines. ...

Very true. His comments on mathematics & the sciences were routinely inaccurate and demonstrated his illiteracy and incomprehension in the areas.

Mark A. Baker

Mac, did you read Arnie's story about skydiving as "rebooting" his brain, and thus helping him get over and drop some of his Scientology conditioning? :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you had a nice visit with our Good Twin! :happydance:

Sorry about miscommunication with FoTi..or any hurt or hard feelings there. Hope it can be mended! :)

Harmony and understanding are worth working towards! :)

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Reverse Spin

Yes, Veronica ... has told me more than I'm saying here. Mmmm, I hope she posts her story some day. It's sure to be a great one.

Hi Programmer Guy! Harvey Mudd story coming up.

No offense to the fine editors of the Delphian, but I just have to make some corrections and comments, 20 years later.

Yes, we did have color photography in the 1980's. I think the reason they preferred black & white was that the quality was better. Not sure.

So here I am on the cover! North Idaho Wood Preserving, on my cap, is where my sawyer uncle sold most of his lumber. That's a plane which I helped do a lot of work on, rebuild the engine, clean up, etc. I was just a know-nothing helper. On the day they came to take my picture, I was cleaning some parts in a tub of solvent with a scotch-brite pad. That wouldn't make a good photo. So the mechanic stuck this wrench in my hand and they got me to pose, doing, ... nothing. That wrench only fits maybe one bolt on the whole plane, and you can't access it through that panel that's opened.

Page 3. Corrections in blue.

loving your story. i lived a couple of blocks from you during this time. but mostly you'd find me swimming at scripps or pitzer, or pushing my baby around the village;)

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
"There were songs sung, such as, I think, People Get Ready. And someone (Randy Merril?) was shouting "hallelujah! get on board the freedom train". I don't remember this exactly, but it was a little bit fun, and a little bit of an odd activity compared to what I was used to."

funny. that was Cat Stevens whose songs were banned in the US for a while because he coverted to Muslim.
----------
I haven't finished your story yet, but I am about to page 25. You appear to be having a discussion with the only other person on this board that compelled me to walk around with my ipad in my hand for an entire day, asking "whaddaya want?" to anyone who gets in my way, lol. And that would be FoTi.

I know, I am meta time traveling threads here, but the megalomaniac should expect nothing less.
What a great story!

I hope you meet Vance Woodward one day, you guys would so get along.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
okay, i have finished the thread, and am now in confusion. that is my usual EP;)
thanks for the story.
one of these days i am going to re-read FoTi's story.
it was somehow the first one i came across on esmb...
and kept wishing i could have known her, our paths were so simliliar.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
"There were songs sung, such as, I think, People Get Ready. And someone (Randy Merril?) was shouting "hallelujah! get on board the freedom train". I don't remember this exactly, but it was a little bit fun, and a little bit of an odd activity compared to what I was used to."

funny. that was Cat Stevens whose songs were banned in the US for a while because he coverted to Muslim.
----------
I haven't finished your story yet, but I am about to page 25. You appear to be having a discussion with the only other person on this board that compelled me to walk around with my ipad in my hand for an entire day, asking "whaddaya want?" to anyone who gets in my way, lol. And that would be FoTi.

I know, I am meta time traveling threads here, but the megalomaniac should expect nothing less.
What a great story!

I hope you meet Vance Woodward one day, you guys would so get along.

I don't remember Cat's songs ever being banned, though I do remember DJs commenting after his songs about the Islam thing with a WTF kinda attitude.

However, I do remember Dennis Miller making fun of his support of the Salman Rushdie fatwah on SNL by singing a parody of Moon Shadow called I'm Being Followed by a Big Muslim. :yes:

I was pretty much done with Cat after his support of the fatwah, though I had listened to him up to then. If I only listened to atheist and agnostic singers, I'd have a whole lot less music in my playlist.

I don't remember Cat's songs ever being banned, though I do remember DJs commenting after his songs about the Islam thing with a WTF kinda attitude.

However, I do remember Dennis Miller making fun of his support of the Salman Rushdie fatwah on SNL by singing a parody of Moon Shadow called I'm Being Followed by a Big Muslim. :yes:

I was pretty much done with Cat after his support of the fatwah, though I had listened to him up to then. If I only listened to atheist and agnostic singers, I'd have a whole lot less music in my playlist.

He didn't support the fatwah and his records were not banned.

His remarks were misinterpreted.

He said something like if he was a radical fundamentalist then he would support it. But that is not his vision of Islam.

It is the same thing like John Lennon's comments about Christ.

People twist things so they can have something to hate.

And people twisted Cat Stevens' comments to fuel their hatred.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Shanester

Patron
Whoo! Just read all of it! Good story, thanks for sharing! Please do share more when you feel up to it.

Inspires me to get back to my story. Maybe I'll try to write some more...

TG1

Angelic Poster
Boy, we do love to derail on ESMB! So I'll help with the derailing. :)

Regarding Cat Stevens' / Yusuf Islam's comments about the fatwa issued against Salman Rushdie, Cat/Yusuf apparently has said a lot of things about the fatwa since 1989.

Wikipedia probably does a pretty job of describing Cat's / Yusuf's continuing comments and how his interpretation of prior comments he'd made has evolved over time.

In short, Cat/Yusuf said it, but he didn't mean it that way, and if he had known more at the time about Islam he might have said it differently, but then what he really wishes is that people would really STFU and no, he wouldn't kill Rushdie, but if he were sitting in a restaurant and Rushdie walked in and sat down at a table Cat/Yusuf might call the Ayatollah and let him where Rushdie was, but also maybe if Rushdie hadn't caricatured Cat/Yusuf as a character in The Satanic Verses maybe Cat/Yusuf wouldn't have said anything at all in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens'_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie