What's new

arnie on the meter

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
In matters of research, and as a Independent Scientologists that you state you are,

you are correct in this statement by you:

"In matters of Science, Arnaldo Lerma suffered from exactly the same short-comings as Ron Hubbard: no credentials, no scientific experimental verification and no peer-reviewed journal publications of the non-existent latter."

So the question becomes why are you a Independent Scientologist?
Yeah Arnie's credibility suffered due to the same circumstances as the rest of us. His life, like many of our lives, became disrupted by and dominated by all things Scientology. When "wogs" were scrambling to get credentials we sat on our duffs studying Scn only to find ourselves way behind when we finally bit the bullet and got out. Lots of us are exceptionally competent in our fields but never went out and got all the official credentials. I only managed to get a measly Associates degree many years later just because I didn't want to just have a pile of wasted college credits so I went back and tidied it up into a general associates degree.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I kind of suspect that you lived what the rest of us mostly dreamed of. I was a serial monogamist who usually chose sticking with one rather than sampling many. Too many germs to worry about and it only took one lesson to teach me that! Now there are strains of things that can't be cured.
Being in a rock 'n' roll band does tend to help with attracting the attention of the opposite sex. I'd say I've been incredibly lucky and met some lovely females in my time. What they ever saw in me I really don't know but there we are.

I was pretty monogamous as well as a matter of fact. I've slept with about fifty women in all, a figure that most 'lads' would equal in a year or two. If I hooked up with someone I was strongly attracted to it usually meant we lived together for a certain length of time - hence my rather low tally of notches on the bedpost.

As far as the germs issue went, back in the day when I was on active service there was no HIV and I never ever used a condom. I caught an STI from a scientologist from San Francisco (thanks Betsy) when I was on staff at London org, and when I was having an affair with a married OTVI I discovered I had 'crabs' (pubic lice) and was terrified of the consequences of her husband catching them from her via me but somehow it never happened. All too much information? I'm in a very loquacious mood this morning I guess. ;)

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I'm in a very loquacious mood this morning I guess.
Loquacious is a very squishy word, no? [Meaningless comment -- ignore!]

Oh, and Sneaks, thanks for that refutation of Arnie's silly e-meter theories. Arguing with him about that used to drive me nuts.

Paul

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
All too much information? I'm in a very loquacious mood this morning I guess. ;)
Compared to me, or Dagwood as I'm known, you stay very much on point. I'm the one who waffles all over the place. If I had to use my real name I'd never say half the shit I say which is why I don't use my real name in that I enjoy just letting it all out. I guess I feel compelled to cover the yin and yang from as opposite of points as possible. On that note, sorry about the tangent I took off on in discussing my trapping days as a teenager, I didn't want to squash the feel good vibe of Keef and antics.

strativarius

Compared to me, or Dagwood as I'm known, you stay very much on point. I'm the one who waffles all over the place. If I had to use my real name I'd never say half the shit I say which is why I don't use my real name in that I enjoy just letting it all out. I guess I feel compelled to cover the yin and yang from as opposite of points as possible. On that note, sorry about the tangent I took off on in discussing my trapping days as a teenager, I didn't want to squash the feel good vibe of Keef and antics.
If I didn't have one foot in the fucking grave I wouldn't say half the shit I say, but bearing that in mind, as far as the consequences of my actions these days goes, I mean, how bad can it get?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
If I didn't have one foot in the fucking grave I wouldn't say half the shit I say

If I didn't have one foot in the fucking grave I wouldn't say half the shit I say,
I of course don't know your health but maybe Mr. Keef is your spirit guide who's come to watch and wait for you to chose your time? Only said half in jest as the North American Indians and native peoples elsewhere have long believed in such spirits.
Notice I've moved on from saying "thetan". as I've often been uncomfortable with it's similarity to the word "Satan" and I'm sure that was Hubbard's intent.

strativarius

I of course don't know your health but maybe Mr. Keef is your spirit guide who's come to watch and wait for you to chose your time? Only said half in jest as the North American Indians and native peoples elsewhere have long believed in such spirits.
Notice I've moved on from saying "thetan". as I've often been uncomfortable with it's similarity to the word "Satan" and I'm sure that was Hubbard's intent.
For a spirit guide he sure makes a lot of fucking noise!

Voodoo

Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow
I've slept with about fifty women in all, a figure that most 'lads' would equal in a year or two. If I hooked up with someone I was strongly attracted to it usually meant we lived together for a certain length of time - hence my rather low tally of notches on the bedpost.
My schlong is bigger than yours :spitcoffee:

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
Loquacious is a very squishy word, no? [Meaningless comment -- ignore!]
Actually, I also find "loquacious" squishy, because it reminds me of loquats.

220px-Loquat_in_plate.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loquat

Last edited:

pineapple

Getting back for a moment to hypnotizability and intelligence, which I was talking about earlier ...

I'm now reading "Hypnosis and Suggestion in Psychotherapy" by Hippolyte Bernheim, MD, which I found in a used book store (originally published in 1889).

md10632267815.jpg

On page 5, the author says, "It is wrong to believe that the subjects influenced are all weak-nerved, weak-brained, hysterical, or women. Most of my observations relate to men, whom I have chosen on purpose to controvert this belief.
I have hypnotized very intelligent people belonging to the higher grades of society, who were not in the least nervous, at any rate in the sense in which that word is commonly used."

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Getting back for a moment to hypnotizability and intelligence, which I was talking about earlier ...

I'm now reading "Hypnosis and Suggestion in Psychotherapy" by Hippolyte Bernheim, MD, which I found in a used book store (originally published in 1889).

md10632267815.jpg

On page 5, the author says, "It is wrong to believe that the subjects influenced are all weak-nerved, weak-brained, hysterical, or women. Most of my observations relate to men, whom I have chosen on purpose to controvert this belief.
I have hypnotized very intelligent people belonging to the higher grades of society, who were not in the least nervous, at any rate in the sense in which that word is commonly used."

I wonder if anyone ever did believe the subjects influenced were all weak-nerved, weak-brained, hysterical or women?

It sounds to me like someone in the industry (long ago) decided to push this twaddle about 'only intelligent people being able to be hypnotised' to try and stir up interest (and business) ... and succeeded.

:D

pineapple

I wonder if anyone ever did believe the subjects influenced were all weak-nerved, weak-brained, hysterical or women?

It sounds to me like someone in the industry (long ago) decided to push this twaddle about 'only intelligent people being able to be hypnotised' to try and stir up interest (and business) ... and succeeded.

:D
The ability to be hypnotized was once identified with hysteria, which some considered a female affliction (from Greek hystera, "womb").

"Charcot and his school considered the ability to be hypnotized as a clinical feature of hysteria ... For the members of the Salpêtrière School, susceptibility to hypnotism was synonymous with disease, i.e. hysteria, although they later recognized ... that grand hypnotisme (in hysterics) should be differentiated from petit hypnotisme, which corresponded to the hypnosis of ordinary people.[22]
The Salpêtrière School's position on hypnosis was sharply criticized by Hippolyte Bernheim, another leading neurologist of the time.[22] Bernheim argued that the hypnosis and hysteria phenomena that Charcot had famously demonstrated were in fact due to suggestion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Martin_Charcot#Studies_on_hypnosis_and_hysteria

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
it really doesn't matter what arnie said about the e meter,

the bottom line will always be no clears or OT's

Edwardo

Patron with Honors
If I were a hypnotist. I would promote the theory that only the most intelligent were easy to hypnotize. It would make being easily hypnotized appear to be higher status. That was the technique the traveling tailors used to encourage people to believe in the emperor’s invisible new clothes.

Well, that’s why people cheered in the traditional reading of the fable. More recently, I’ve been impressed by a more cynical take on why the crowds might have been cheering wildly:

https://spandrell.com/2015/06/03/the-purpose-of-absurdity/