ESMB is now closed to new registrations. Please go to www.exscn2.net and register there.

auditing

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by rose10, Apr 1, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. rose10

rose10 Patron

Based on experience, I am thinking auditing has wasted my time and stopped me from making decisions that could have change the course of my life. So hypothetically - if someone or a company is gently putting you down over time, needling you, letting you know that you are lazy, downstat, low toned, don't put anything back in the right place, pts etc. and one goes into the org to deal with this problem - one's overts and withholds are pulled and you do conditions possibly. In other words you are made to feel better about the situation. But the situation doesn't change ( you are told to just expand, create....) but you stay in that situation because you think its you. You are not creating the job or marriage, you have case, etc etc. Therefore you don't leave when you should. Am I right in thinking the auditing is purely designed then to give you an euphoric feeling which stops you thinking? Of course auditing on ethics will make you think twice about being bad, so there's that advantage, but I am trying to figure out what happened to me and why I let my life stagnate effectively. Thank you.

2. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Squirreling Dervish

That was the big problem, auditing had devolved into forced confessionals, an inquisition into all the supposed "overts" people had committed or could conceivably be expected to commit based upon their "evil intentions".
    It became full blown paranoia coupled with mean spirited condition assignments as Hubbard grew increasingly restless with paranoia that people would get him because he was a fraud.
    I mean I saw the grades as a leading question version of affirmations.
    You'd ask "from where could you communicate to a blankety blank", the emphasis was on what could you do till you spoke the affirmative response of "I can communicate from any..." and off you'd go to the examiner.
    But then it devolved to "what horrible things are you thinking of doing to LRH?", pure psychosis generated paranoia and it all went into a deep downward spiral, yet lots of people stayed in and paid through the nose and built the monster that looms large before us now as seemingly indestructible.

3. Gib

Gib Crusader

I would agree totally with this statement by you:

"Based on experience, I am thinking auditing has wasted my time and stopped me from making decisions that could have change the course of my life."

Why, because I thought or was persuaded that I could go clear and then OT with having the abilities of high IQ, perfect recall, being able to communicate to anybody about anything, being able to solve problems at will, etc and so on up the Bridge to Total Freedom.

While receiving auditing, I did have wins or cognitions, they really didn't give me the Bridger to Total Freedom. And from my experience, since I know a lot of people who have done all the way up to OT8, my observations are as I just stated. There has never been a clear or OT.

Why do I state I agree with you on that statement? Simply because if I never chased the carrot of clear and then OT, why I would have done something else instead of reading and participating in Hubbard's sublime bullshit that he got me to chase.

But it's ok, I'm fine and doing dandy at this point in my life. I just like to shoot the shit for giggles. Thumbs up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • List
  4. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

"There was a fundamental clash between Scientology’s practices and local Bena beliefs. To the Bena, the Scientologists were seeking to take on parts of Bena persons – their personal secrets – and so increase their strength and power over them. If people gave away their secrets, the Scientologists could force their power back on the villagers, weakening their spirits and allowing them to be controlled."

From an article on Scientology in New Guinea: https://tonyortega.org/2019/04/02/thetans-in-the-jungle-scientology-in-papua-new-guineas-highlands/

This is an interesting idea: that one's integrity as an individual rests on not sharing everything with others.

One might say that the ultimate controller is the most secretive person. I can think of one big fat example and a short one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  5. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

Even Hubbard knew this. There is a Hubbard quote somewhere to the effect that the ability to withhold is a key to sanity. And the tone level of propitiation (low on Hubbard's scale) involves a person not being able to withhold.

So it's interesting that there is such an emphasis in Scientology on ensuring that a person can't withhold ANYTHING from the organisation. Even knowledge of how much you have in your bank account is considered the organisation's property, and it would be an ethics offence to have savings and not divulge that fact to the organisation.

6. rose10

rose10 Patron

Yes...of course talking in session also stopped me from talking to friends znd people not in Scientology. In fact when I realised it was a hoax I couldnt stop talking to exs and other friends. I seemed to make up for lost time. My brain expanded suddenly and so did my vocabularly. What I think happened was my mind was partially shut down somehow...I was indoctrinated with scn words and phrases...and I deprogrammed over a day or so and my mind came back. What I also meant was I could have left situations and changed the course of my life but I stayed ...slogging out bad situations because ...well I dont know why really

7. Gib

Gib Crusader

I posted these two things here on ESMB awhile ago, somewhere in the treads, I've read them both, she and he are spot on IMHO. I doubt if anybody here will read them, but I post anyways.

It's interesting there have been others who have delved into Hubbard's Dianetics and scientology and have made comparison. Here are some excerpts from:

http://ou.edu/expo/brainstorm/_jcr_...file.res/Ullrich-Quasi Religious Rhetoric.pdf

(here is the book she mentions:

https://www.planetebook.com/free-ebooks/heart-of-darkness.pdf )

excerpts:

"These dark motivations for a religion of greed
    are not entirely unprecedented. Hubbard’s religious pretext for the sake of personal income has a
    parallel in Joseph Conrad’s portrayal of the European colonists’ missionary greed in Heart of Darkness. The Europeans had come down to the Belgium Congo under the philanthropic pretext of
    spreading Christianity and modernizing the native population, but this farce masks the truth that
    they are only there to collect a profit from gathering Ivory...."

"A similar underlying concern with the domination of others can be seen in Hubbard’s psychotherapeutic technique of “auditing.” Similar to
    suppressing or erasing memories, Dianetic therapy aimed to locate and erase “engrams,” memories from this or a previous life, to lighten the
    burdens they place on the subjects mind (Wallis
    26). One Dianetic method used to do this is the
    repeater method of auditing. The purpose of the
    “activity was to get the pre-clear to return to the
    ‘basic area,’ that is, the area of pre-natal experience… erasing later life engrams until the individual was cleared” (Wallis 29). After the patient
    was put into a dreamlike state called the Dianetic
    reverie, they would begin the therapy. During the
    therapy session, if the subject was unable to estao establish the next engramic incident, they would be
    ordered to “verbalize this inability with a phrase
    such as ‘I can’t go back at this point’….repeat the
    phrase over and over again”

If you get my drift, Hubbard's pretext was to clear the planet and create OT's. But, as we know, there are no clears or OT's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  8. Gib

Gib Crusader

Here is the excerpt of the end of her write-up:

"Scientology has been protested for many reasons: for being too much like a business, or a self help scam, or oppressing its members. All of these
    reasons have merit, but one must remember that,
    as Marlow said of Kurtz’s ivory lust, “that was
    not the point” (Conrad 107). Looking past layer
    upon layer of abstractions of enlightenment and
    money, we can see an even darker inner truth that
    vies for absolute dominance over everything and
    everyone. Hubbard’s control maintains its hold
    over others even after his death. The idea of him
    is now an insatiable hunger that has been nourished to thrive without any earthly vessel. Hubbard, much like Kurtz, is now an idea that compels red-eyed and weak-eyed devils alike to pursue unobtainable goals they do not understand
    for rewards they can never secure. However, such
    a devilish compulsion is not only given birth by
    such characters as Hubbard and Kurtz. The inner
    truth is the monster that exists in all of humanity,
    compelling us forward without direction"

For me, when I look up the word abstraction, I conclude that's one of the things Hubbard did to get us trapped in his game. But I'm free, thumbs up.

abstraction is not real or reality, but just an idea.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List