ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Australia, draft legislation - "Defining Charity"

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Cherished, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Sidney18511

Sidney18511 Patron with Honors

Most religious charities will use money from their members to buy food and cloths to feed the hungry and help the poor.

Scientology will raise money from their members to buy copies of TWTH at full price from the COS and hand them out in thirld world countries. WTF? What good does that do to people in need?

2. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

Re: Senator Xenophon's speech in support of the Charities Bill 2013

Just looking at that website...

Church Of Scientology Australia is listed twice, each listing with a different ABN -

One registered on 1/1/87 the other on 1/1/2011

I wonder what kind of swifty is being pulled here :ohmy:

3. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Re: Senator Xenophon's speech in support of the Charities Bill 2013

"Swifty" ?? :) spoken like a true Ozzie!:p:biggrin: I LUVVIT!

I haven't heard that expression in something like 50 years! :blush:

Rog

4. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Silver Meritorious Patron

Intersting that one of the criteria is "charities for the relief of poverty, sickness and the needs of the aged" and not "the creation of poverty among the young and aged alike." Guess that rules out the cult!!
    "

5. mnql1

mnql1 Patron Meritorious

Dialogue Ireland - Australian Charities Bill 2013

Dialogue Ireland has just posted an excellent historical summary of events leading to the adoption of Australia's Charities Bill 2013, along with links to videos and transcripts:
    Australian Charities Bill 2013

6. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

I am so waiting for this to kick in officially.....

7. Jump

Jump Operating teatime

In the video posted by Chersihed, Senator Xenophon ends his speech with the acknowledgement that the whole process was kicked off by a group of ex-scientologists complaining to him about the harms the Scientology organisation had caused.

Although she is not posting here now, I just wanted to acknowledge the huge input of Carmel Underwood (along with others) in getting the impetus together for this in the first place.

A wonderful effort. :yes:

8. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

Yes, Carmel sweated blood and tears on this campaign.

Honor also to Scooter and Feral.

A brilliant campaign wonderfully performed. Also notable (but not on camera) was Cherished.

Nicely done you lot :happydance:

Rog