Australians in Scientology

Discussion in 'Reconnecting with Old Friends' started by haiqu, Jul 17, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. ttamaad

ttamaad Silver Meritorious Patron

haha, I was going to say exactly the same thing... amzing how some things stay in the memory banks!!!

Good to see ya here!!!

Although I was just a newby back then, the face sticks out like dogsballs

2. Once bitten

Once bitten Patron Meritorious

Here are some more names:

Odette Lopes
    Russell Stockdale
    Luigi Paneta
    Sue Cartwright
    Colm O'leary
    Shobes
    Rob Ilich
    ???? Miller .... married Liia
    Paul Sarkany (pronounced Sharken) & his girlfriend Tanya ???

3. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Les Miller - Carmel or Grego (Supra) can fill you in on his current whereabouts.

Russel Stockdale actually came back onto Fdn staff in the 90s(?) for a few years then disappeared again.

4. Alan

Alan Gold Meritorious Patron

Its called a lag or lag time Alanzo! :)

Its a business term.

As I was one of the original founders (slightly late on the chain) of the Sydney Org - you need to get the other original Oz Techies who were willing to admit to the fact they occupied a whore house about 1/2 a block from Kings Cross.

Yes the original Sydney Org was a just vacated Whore House - that was in 1961 - :)

Alan

5. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Hi OB1, It's not actually a complete list of names that I was using to lure Mystery Sandwich (though that would be a lot of fun to re-compile) into telling all. The particular names I mentioned are intended to elicit specific stories that will enthrall and electrify the ESMB audience! :D
    C'mon MS, start talking.

6. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Thriving Whorehouse > vacated Whorehouse > thriving Org > vacated Org.

That's probably as good a demonstration of the dwindling spiral in the physical universe as you'll ever see! :D

7. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

:welcome: blondy.

And....which Avatar are ya'll talkin about?! I done enabled me Avatars, and I see nuthin! :unsure:

"Queef!" :faceslap: Oh brother!....:no: :eyeroll:

8. SchwimmelPuckel

SchwimmelPuckel Genuine Meatball

Hmm.. Disturbing avatar that is a queef in your general direction?

I feel like I missed out on sumthin'..

:screwy:

9. Alan

Alan Gold Meritorious Patron

Dear Herr SchwinnPuck,

Talking of Avatars - I bought one of your hats today - but I can't get it to wiggle properly! :nervous:

10. mysterysandwich

mysterysandwich Patron with Honors

Jan Hill (1)

ok...so how can I refuse?:)
    Jan Hill

Ok…..In my opinion, Jan’s arrival and continued presence in Sydney is probably the single-most important and influencing factor behind the flourishing of the org there during the mid to late ‘70’s.
    Originally on a Flag Mission to bring the then newly released Expanded Dianetics Course to Australia where she was to Supervise the first course, Jan ended up petitioning to stay on (probably because she and Steve Stevens were/became an item at the time) becoming the Senior C/S.

This was early in ’73 when the org was still in Bondi Junction in an old 2-storey house right at the “Y” between New and Old South Head Roads, across the street from the old (new at the time) Whale Car Wash. Peter Sparshott was the C/S then, William Holman the Tech Sec and course supervisor, Helen Shelton (later to become Helen Parselle) the ED (no…Rudi Eder was the ED right about then and Helen took over after he blew), Vivienne Deyes in Dissem, Margaret Tidy in HCO, Audrey Devlin the AG Sydney, Vicki Alpe in reception, Norma Carrington in Qual.

Maureen Sparshott, Peter’s wife, was in the GO so we saw little of her around the org.
    Ken Smythe and Jack Smart were kind of jacks-of-all-trades. Ken seemed to live there night and day doing all of the mimeograph work. Helen Zacharuk (sp?) later to become Helen Pickett was doing her Dianetic Interneship around that time but was not on staff as far as I know-at least not then. She went off to England after marrying Frank (who had been in England at the time I arrived in Sydney in July ’72), then later was on GO staff in Sydney.

Linnah and Kevin McPherrin were arriving about this time as well (now there’s a story…later),

Cathy Daley was there (not sure what post she had) but she blew close to that time as well. She was Bevan Berry’s girlfriend at the time, I believe.

Peter Shead was in during the evenings. There was another girl there briefly whose name I cannot recall. Strange that is, because she was the one who got me to sign up to join staff(!)

Noel and Sue O’Donnell had been in Saint Hill and arrived back after the course started and Noel wound up doing the course too. Not sure about Sue, though I am quite sure she did the course at some point.

I was just finishing up my Class IV so the timing for me was perfect.
    Peter and Mike Zimmatore (both on staff in Auckland) were over for the course.
    Ian Lazenby was there is some capacity (not sure what) and Bill Paul was one of the auditors on staff. Cyril Holman (William’s father) was there in the evenings.
    A lot of people basically did numerous posts in spite of their official positions.

Elfreide Baj-Jespersen was not on staff but audited for the org on occasion as did Jim Doone.

Those were some of the main people around at the time-at least insofar as staff members go.

Martin and Liia Bentley were still in St Hill.
    Saima Gallop (Liia’s sister) and Peter Gallop along with their two children Lindy and George were around. Irenie Sanderson, Dick Backhouse, Bernie Tate….we’d see a lot of them as public PCs online.
    Gerry Terpstra from Melbourne staff was doing an internship.
    More names…Allen Wright, Erin Wright (Noel’s sister), Rowland Barkley, Jon Martinsen, David Broughton, Bryan and Margaret Leahy, Paul Robson, Ashley Schwartz, Michael and Ruth Groffmann.

Yeah. I have stories for every one of these people!
    So that was the scene then. I know I am forgetting some names here! There were a lot of others, old-timers then and such whom I just did not see that much of at the time. Met a lot more later.

11. mysterysandwich

Jan Hill (2)

Jan (nee Maunder) was originally from New Zealand. I don’t think we ever saw her husband (he must have been ex-husband then) as he was at Flag.

Jan had a black and white framed photo in her office of her with about two or three other students posed by and taken with L Ron himself at Flag. You can see her there quite clearly in profile –cute, small, rounded, pixie-ish, with short hair (well, near shoulder-length) and a small, slightly hooked nose, looking intently at the man himself.

What the picture doesn’t show is the color of her hair-dark brown and very straight. Or her feet and hands-small and tidy.

Though I never asked her, I was always curious as to whether she might have some Maori bloodlines. Her face was quite square seen frontally, and tending to flat like that of an islander’s and either perpetually tanned or just naturally dark.

She needed glasses. Without them, she would squint up her eyes to see things at a distance, her entire face following suit.
    Wonderful, wonderful engaging laugh. Astute, puckish, perceptive, kind, generous, giving, direct, firm, intelligent, quick, witty, appreciative, determined, powerful, strong, quick-tempered, expressive, neat, bright.

She owned the tech. Had a natural grasp of how this worked. Great C/S, even brilliant at times. A great teacher in that sense. She could correct without condescension, point out specifics without being patronizing.
    Oh, her temper was legendary too, however! J

I didn’t have to face it directly owing to the Ivory Tower rules and all that, but when she screamed you could hear it all over the building. And she was a terrific door-slammer. Door slam noise levels corresponded directly with her mood.

There was a time where she was particularly difficult. (I am guessing that it had a lot to do with her personal situation at the time.) Steve Stevens ended up ditching her for an attractive-and much younger girl-from New Zealand, whom he eventually married. Must have been rough for Jan for, in my memory at least, it happened quite suddenly.

The org moved in mid ’73 to an old building on Lee Street (shortest street in the city) near the Central Railway Station where we audited in a row of rooms thrown together along one wall on the second floor. Some years later, we ended up leasing the upper floors and moved the HGC there where the sound of jackhammers in the alleyway was not so distracting. By that time we could afford much improved carpet- and decent rooms- but for more than a few years we had to contend with pretty basic digs.

12. mysterysandwich

Jan Hill (3)

The cheap carpet was a dead give-away. That is, being utilitarian and rough, it didn’t muffle the sound of footsteps very well. We always knew when Jan was angry just by the sound of her footsteps.
    You see, in order to reach the office of the C/S, one had to walk the length of the floor in a line leading directly past the door of every auditing room. Jan usually wore those Birkenstock-type sandals and hers would flop, the heels clomping to the floor with each step. The angrier she was, the louder they would flop-a near-perfect barometer of her mood. Without knowing who they belonged to, one would swear hers were the footsteps of some recalcitrant child. The speed or patter of her walk did not change significantly, only the degree of noise-the loudest clomp, clomp, clomps nearly always followed by the slamming of the door to the C/S office.

Quite a funny picture really, every one of the auditors in their respective rooms suddenly having their TRs go out, their ears now attuned to that ominous sound. Someone had managed to piss her off and you hoped to god you were not the culprit!

Did I say she could be witty too?
    Standard admin practice included filling out an auditors report for each session. In the days before photocopying, all our forms were mimeographed in red or green. Often the result would be imperfect-lettering and lines smudged or double-printed, printing not square with the sheet, that sort of thing.
    A form I grabbed one day had every line and every word double-printed. Instead of discarding it, on a lark, I filled everything, every line, in twiceJ
    I mean everything. It just struck me as a funny thing to do.

Jan’s response….? Two written words: “Ha Ha”
    I remember David Graham telling me about coming across this exchange in a folder study later and how it made him double over in laughter. J

One time while auditing a PC, I pulled up short on a process. That is to say, for whatever reason, I didn’t take it to completion. The term is called “rabbiting”……getting scared and taking off like a rabbit instead of following through.

Jan drew a full-page caricature of a rabbit on the C/S form(!) J
    I didn’t forget that lesson.

Nuff said.

We got comm. eved together about 1975 in an action that nearly shut down the org for a time. But that’s another story.

And much later, auditing for a brief time in Johannesburg under a C/S whose approach was mean, dispiriting, rote, partisan, and bordering on vicious, I learned to appreciate Jan’s confident former guidance and encouragement even more. Again, another story.

Jan married Noel Mullane sometime after my stint in Sydney was completed. I read glimmerings of the circumstances of her/their departures only recently. Thankfully, I hear also that they are doing well.

So Jan…wherever you are….. thank you again for all your help. You are much appreciated and most certainly not forgotten.

13. Human Again

Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

Steve married Fleur right? Then she went off to Gold and he waited for a bit before divorcing her and marrying Julie (can't recall her previous name) whose mother was American.

14. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Yep, and as it turns out Mr Sweet, due to some of us being that bit out of PT (due to fires or whatever), an old ANZO-ite has come back!

All good I reckon - that's the theta universe for ya! :coolwink:

15. mysterysandwich

Steve Stevens

Ya. Now I remember. Her name was Fleur.
    What about his first wife? Can't remember her name either.
    Sandy Stevens was Steve's twin(?)
    And there was another sister.
    Steve Stevens Senior (Steve's father)was around the same time as Phyll Stevens (Steve Jnr's mother).

Could not imagine two more unalike individuals as Phyll and spouse. He would be in his office each morning reading the daily rag newspaper. Never actually saw him doin ganything else. Phyll on the other hand was a power house. (Man, we disliked each other!)

16. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

I don't know you from a bar of soap (I came in, in early '80), but you are talking about a mentor of mine, so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

17. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Jan was a darling - and one of the most sanest, loving and personable people, that I have ever had the pleasure and fortune of knowing.

She didn't overpower with control that she could have used. She got ya to question, by asking ya ta question, and getting ya ta look! A fucking doll! Thank God for Jan!

18. Carmel

Carmel Crusader

Sandy was Steve's step sister. Chris was Steve's twin. The three of them all grew up together as sibblings.

19. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

Julie Wendell - who later married someone else and became Julie Bazarzah (?) and then got Declared - I think from either FSO or Int.

Last time I saw Steve Stevens he was in the NOTs lounge at AOSH ANZO and his preferred companion was a Boxer dog. Good looking girl she was too ! :D Very tidy.

Allen Wright's on this board (hi Al :)).

20. ttamaad

ttamaad Silver Meritorious Patron

There was also Mary Wigzell/Eade/whoever... she was married to Trevor at the time she was auditing in Lee Street.

They both came over from the mission in Christchurch and ended up on staff. Last I heard Mary was back in New Zealand being Mary.